2011-2012 University of Oklahoma Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my friends that interviewed today told me that OU has finished with their rolling admission. Can someone clarify what this means to those that are interviewing at later dates? Does that mean the best chance that we have right now is to be 'deferred'? My interview is tomorrow, but after hearing this it's kinda brought me down a little. I thought November interviews are still considered early?

It is my understanding that all this means is that 150 people have gone through the interview process and they take in 150 people, but I doubt absolutely everyone got accepted. There have been 5 interview dates thus far and I think each one has 30 people from what I've heard.

I wouldn't get too down, everyone I know at OU med was on the wait list and didn't interview until January so you're still in good shape.

Members don't see this ad.

It is my understanding that all this means is that 150 people have gone through the interview process and they take in 150 people, but I doubt absolutely everyone got accepted. There have been 5 interview dates thus far and I think each one has 30 people from what I've heard.

I wouldn't get too down, everyone I know at OU med was on the wait list and didn't interview until January so you're still in good shape.

I am pretty sure its 120 not 150 because before today about 120 had been interviewed. She specifically said that rolling admissions is over and everyone who interviewed today and for the rest of the interview days will get a letter of deferral or rejection and then after the board meets at the end of January we will find out if we got accepted, waitlisted, or rejected.

I am pretty sure its 120 not 150 because before today about 120 had been interviewed. She specifically said that rolling admissions is over and everyone who interviewed today and for the rest of the interview days will get a letter of deferral or rejection and then after the board meets at the end of January we will find out if we got accepted, waitlisted, or rejected.

You may be right I don't remember specifically. I thought I heard in mine that 300 got interviews and 150 get accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)

My friends got interviewed last year in November also, and they were accepted within the two weeks. Why is the rolling admission different this year?

I had an october interview, and was offered an acceptance. This year OU will be concluding interview earlier, since they have been doing three interview days a month instead of two. They offered acceptance to interviewees from all three October interviews, and the sunday november interview. That means they have already done 4 interview, when in the past they would have only completed two interview days. In the past October and November interviewees had rolling interviews, now only October and the first november. Plus, this is what three of my classmates confirmed in class today after their interviews.

I had an october interview, and was offered an acceptance. This year OU will be concluding interview earlier, since they have been doing three interview days a month instead of two. They offered acceptance to interviewees from all three October interviews, and the sunday november interview. That means they have already done 4 interview, when in the past they would have only completed two interview days. In the past October and November interviewees had rolling interviews, now only October and the first november. Plus, this is what three of my classmates confirmed in class today after their interviews.

Yep, when I interviewed on November 13th, they said the options were still acceptance, rejected, or deferred. So the November 13th slot would have been the last option for the automatic acceptance. It's easier said than done, but try not to let that worry you. If you interviewed in November, they are still very interested in meeting with you early!

Yep, when I interviewed on November 13th, they said the options were still acceptance, rejected, or deferred. So the November 13th slot would have been the last option for the automatic acceptance. It's easier said than done, but try not to let that worry you. If you interviewed in November, they are still very interested in meeting with you early!

So that means my odd at being accepted just been reduced greatly since now I have to compete with 180 other students for only forty more spots. So if i'm interviewing tomorrow, it weights the same as those that will be interviewing in december and january? that's very deflating

OU does rolling admissions for the first 120 accepted spots. After 120 people are accepted, then you either get deferred or rejected. Once all the interviews are over the committee will meet and decided on all the deferred applicants. Then you are accepted, rejected, or waitlisted.

Hope everyone’s interviews are going well!
If you interviewed Sunday yesterday or today what did you guys think? What type of questions did you guys get?
I'm interviewing on the 30th. Anyone else interviewing that day?

Hi everybody!

I am a first med student helping out with interviews and I just wanted to clear a few things up. They are doing interviews a bit differently this year, they moved up the january interviews to late november and early december and they moved up the february interviews to January.

Before yesterday (Wednesday) they had interviewed roughtly 120 people. OU does rolling admissions every year, which means that after they interview 120 people (and have accepted most of those people) they stop accepting people immediately. This does not mean that if you interviewed yesterday or today or even later that you will not get in. Our class is made up of 167 people (random number, but that is how many people fit in our lecture hall). So there are definitely still at least 47 spots left. Another thing about the people who interview early and are accepted is that a good number of them decline OU and choose other schools. That means there are more spots for everybody else. My point: do not get discouraged!

Another thing to think about is that if you get deferred don't get down about it, especially if you interviewed yesterday or interview today. If you are deferred after these interview days it is NOT a bad thing. They have two choices to give you right now: deferred or rejected. If they are going to reject you, chances are that they are going to do it right away, rather than giving you a deferral. Also remember a deferral is not a guarenteed acceptance but I definitely wouldn't lose hope. If you have any other questions let me know.

The rumors are true. I interviewed on the 16th and it came as quite a surprise to almost everyone there that day. Hah.

From Dotty:

"The Admissions Board is still making recommendations for accept, but we do not offer any more acceptances until after all remaining applicants have been interviewed. *At our final meeting, all applicants are ordered academically and based on the interview recommendations and are presented to the board to fill all remaining spots in the class. *They will additional select a waitlist and then all remaining applicants will be rejected."

If anything, this could be seen as a positive thing for later interview dates.

OU has done it this way for many years. It used to be after 140 was accepted but the last two years they lowered it to 120. They seem to like the new number. And yes IMO it does help the later interviewees but not as much as you would think. At the final committee meeting, first everyone will be still ranked according to the OU formula, then after discussion you can be moved up or down on the list. If you have a low OU score, it still is a big uphill battle.
I know it is a stressful time and the people who haven't interviewed or got deferred will play a million different scenarios in their head. But the very best thing you can do is relax, take a deep breath, and when it's your turn to interview put your best foot forward.

I know it was mentioned earlier about the class being 167. But really the class size is not set in stone each year. It can fluctuate from the low 160s to 170s. The 167 number probably also has a couple of people having to repeat.

Hope everyone’s interviews are going well!
If you interviewed Sunday yesterday or today what did you guys think? What type of questions did you guys get?
I'm interviewing on the 30th. Anyone else interviewing that day?

The interviewers really go out of their way to make sure you are relaxed. Their main goal is to get to know you, talk about your experiences (work, volunteer, etc), and how everything combined has led you to medicine. I didn't have any ethical or healthcare questions, but I know a few people that did.
I hope that helps! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
The interviewers really go out of their way to make sure you are relaxed. Their main goal is to get to know you, talk about your experiences (work, volunteer, etc), and how everything combined has led you to medicine. I didn't have any ethical or healthcare questions, but I know a few people that did.
I hope that helps! Good luck!

I can't remember if I read it is in this forum or a different one, but I thought it was worthy of repeating: If an ethics question comes up, always have the patient's best interest in mind. It probably wouldn't hurt to say "I'm not completely sure about the particulars of the situation you're asking about, but I'm committed to always putting my patient's best interest in mind, practicing patient and family-centered care, and working as a team with my patients." You're basically saying, "I don't know!" but in a much more professional and compassionate way. Just my two cents, and hopefully it helps!

Does anyone have a firm date on when decisions from the November interviews will be mailed? :)

Dotty said, "Letters will be mailed monday or tuesday of next week" and this was on Nov 18. So Idk if next week means today (from the 18th) or the following week.

Dotty said, "Letters will be mailed monday or tuesday of next week" and this was on Nov 18. So Idk if next week means today (from the 18th) or the following week.

EEEK! Time to start stalking the mail(wo)man! Crossing my fingers for myself and for everyone else who interviewed in November! Best of luck to you all!

Should I be expecting my letter to come to my current address or my permanent address? I live in Norman for school but listed my permanent address as my parent's house in Tulsa.

Should I be expecting my letter to come to my current address or my permanent address? I live in Norman for school but listed my permanent address as my parent's house in Tulsa.

I believe, based on what others have written from the October interviews and previous years, that your letter goes to your permanent address.

Anyone else still feelin the post-interview nervousness? I am kinda scared that I blew it.. I didn't feel super great walking out those doors.

To those of you who interviewed in November how did your interviews go? Anything worth mentioning? GL!

Got my letter today. I may have received it sooner than others since I live in OKC. Well, at least I didn't get an outright rejection! Now, to wait until Jan. 29th... :)

Got my letter today. I may have received it sooner than others since I live in OKC. Well, at least I didn't get an outright rejection! Now, to wait until Jan. 29th... :)

I didn't get anything in the mail today, I'm in Edmond. Now the wait until Friday :(

I got my letter of acceptance today :)

Good luck to everyone who hasn't heard yet / get's deferred, etc. I'm so grateful to you guys on this list (I must admit that I've been a lurker); otherwise I wouldn't have known to be checking the mail constantly today... :) But definitely, good luck to everyone!

Good luck to everyone who hasn't heard yet / get's deferred, etc. I'm so grateful to you guys on this list (I must admit that I've been a lurker); otherwise I wouldn't have known to be checking the mail constantly today... :) But definitely, good luck to everyone!

Congrats! Are you in OKC?

What day did you interview and what was your GPA and MCAT?

Did you interview Nov 16th too?

What is significant about Jan 29th? Does OU wait until after all interviews have been conducted before they start looking at the waitlist?

What is significant about Jan 29th? Does OU wait until after all interviews have been conducted before they start looking at the waitlist?

Rolling admissions is completed, as in they've already interviewed 120 and offered acceptances to most of them. Everyone interviewing starting Nov. 16th and thereafter will either be rejected or deferred. For those who are deferred the AdCom will meet for a final time on Jan. 29th and offer the remaining seats to students off the deferral list. Anyone else who did not receive an acceptance offer will be either ranked on a waitlist or simply rejected. I got my deferral today as well. But I hope that answers your question!

As far as how the interview went it's pretty relaxed, the toughest questions I got were: describe your biggest failure, a question about tort reform (so brush up on current health care topics), what I thought the difference between a DO and an MD was, and a time in which I thought it was more appropriate to be a follower than a leader.

Good luck!

Well it was waiting for me back in Norman. Accepted! Interviewed on Nov 13th with a 29 and a 3.65

Well it was waiting for me back in Norman. Accepted! Interviewed on Nov 13th with a 29 and a 3.65

Congratulations! I guess I was wrong about where they send the mail too! I, too, interviewed on November 13th.

Anyone else get news this weekend? :)

Received my acceptance letter last week. Interviewed the 13th w/ a 3.70 and 33. Good luck!

So what's the deal with having to turn in a final transcript by July? If I get straight C's from here on out can they change their mind or something?

You would really have to mess up the semester in order to give them a reason to revoke your acceptance. Moreover, I have heard from several admissions departments that you should not make F's or D's but C's will generally not hurt. Then again if you have been a straight A student and make straight C's, it is likely your record will be discussed. Most of all they are making sure you are fulfilling requirements, graduating, and so on. Don't stress out your last semester and have a little fun!

Recieved the deferred letter yesterday after interviewing on Nov. 30th! I'm probably the only one on here that is excited about that!! However, with rolling admissions being complete this is the best I could have hoped for.

With the final Full Board meeting being on Jan. 29 do you guys think we would likely hear about a further decision by the first week of February? I'm currently setting my countdown to February 6th. Only 8 weeks and 5 days to go!! lol

Does anyone know if everyone (that wasn't already accepted in rolling admissions) will receive a deferral until January 29th? Or were any rejection letters already sent out.

(Basically, should I worry now or later? ;)

Does anyone know if everyone (that wasn't already accepted in rolling admissions) will receive a deferral until January 29th? Or were any rejection letters already sent out.

It's my understanding that they sent out acceptances, rejections, and deferrals. If you interviewed later than November 13th, your only options were reject and defer....so, at this point, a deferral is good news!

I also received a deferral letter, I interviewed Dec. 1. I was actually wondering the same thing, I know they said deferral is good at this point, but I wonder if they defer most people until that final meeting?

I also received a deferral letter, I interviewed Dec. 1. I was actually wondering the same thing, I know they said deferral is good at this point, but I wonder if they defer most people until that final meeting?

I know of a rejection from a Dec. 1st interview. From this I learned that we should be very happy and thankful for receiving a deferral because they are in fact sending out rejections.
Good luck to those who have been deferred and especially to those who didn’t quite make it. I've been there and know how it feels. I hope that you are able to find the strength to push on and continue to work for your admission into med school!!!:)

After a long-winded and complicated application season (my instate status has been questionable at Oklahoma because my parents moved out of the state in 2010, i have lived here since 2002), i received an interview for 1/12/12! I am so excited as OU is not only an aweome school but resonably priced for someone intending to take on the entire debt of medical school. I have a 30Q and 3.93, hopine for the best. Good luck to everyone interviewing in these last few dates...Boomer Sooner (or in my case - boomer later).:p

Does anyone know, for those who are deferred, if we're supposed to update extracurriculars and things like that in addition to fall grades?

Does anyone know, for those who are deferred, if we're supposed to update extracurriculars and things like that in addition to fall grades?

i thought we were only supposed to send transcripts because files
are closed already.

Hi guys, can anyone let me know when the second look is? I forgot all my papers at school this winter break and I am trying to plan with my parents.
Thanks!

I looked through my paperwork, and I didn't see a date anywhere. My army recruiter seems to think that it's April 27th, though. But don't take my word on that.

Has anyone recieved an email about some sort of AAMC background check? It's asking for my SSN and a bunch of other information so I wanted to make sure everyone else got one before I put it all in online!

Status
Not open for further replies.