2011-2012 University of Oklahoma Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How are you notified if you are accepted off the waitlist? Is it done by snail mail, email, or phone? Dr. Baker said yesterday that they take people off the waitlist immediately, so I'm wondering if those 7 people already know or if that likely means that there are 7 lucky letters in transit.

I did not receive any information as to my waitlist position, either. I also let them know that I had extenuating circumstances requiring me to make a decision on moving. It seemed that she had no information as to where I was.

They notify you if you are accepted via mail (BRE). But I didn't ask when they had sent out those 7 letters..

Members don't see this ad.

Yea I'm really curious about that too. Two weeks ago they hadn't pulled anyone yet, so these 7 had to be pretty recent. You would think that we'd hear at least one person posting on here if they did get a BRE, so maybe the letters really are in transit? Perhaps they waited till after the workshop to send the first ones out. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who is suffering through this process

Any movement on the waiting list? I'm sending good thoughts to everyone that is waiting!

Members don't see this ad :)
Only 8 have been taken off as of today.. :/

As each spot opens up, the person on the waitlist is notified right away am I correct? Or do they wait until the beginning of summer to send them out all at once?

As each spot opens up, the person on the waitlist is notified right away am I correct? Or do they wait until the beginning of summer to send them out all at once?

You are correct. They said at the reapplication workshop that they notify the person coming off the waitlist right away when a spot opens up.

Has anyone recently asked Dotty for an updated number of how many people have come off of the waitlist?

While I agree OOS probably should have out of state ties, it is not required. I got into Oklahoma this year and I have no ties to the state.

I'm OOS and I have "some" ties, but I think the MSAR said ties were required

Speaking of being OOS, I remember some talk at the interview of OOS tuition fee waivers...I haven't been able to find anything else about this since but I seem to remember them saying they had 18 to issue (which was exciting because I think the previous year they only matriculated 15 out of state?). Does anyone know anything else about this?

Does anyone know when the Scholarship awards are estimated to come out?

Does anyone know when the Scholarship awards are estimated to come out?

From the Me
dBlog: "All applicants will be notified via letter in late spring as to whether or not a scholarship has been awarded."

My guess is no later than mid-May--descriptive, I know. Hopefully they'll say more about it this weekend at Second Look.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dotty said that 13 have been taken off of the waitlist. Based on my stats (3.77 GPA and 26 MCAT) do you guys think I have a realistic chance at getting in? Or do I need to start looking for a place to live at the med school that I already got into?

If anyone who has been accepted off of the waitlist already reads this blog, would you mind sharing your stats?

I am guessing that there is not anyone yet since we have not heard already, but if there is someone then it would be helpful for the rest of us who are waiting to hear.

I don't know the stats of people that have been taken off the waitlist.. but I can tell you that I have a 3.9/25 and I am still on the waitlist.

Has anyone received a scholarship letter yet? I remember Dr. Jones at second visit saying they should come out soon.

Has anyone received a scholarship letter yet? I remember Dr. Jones at second visit saying they should come out soon.

I received mine in the mail yesterday at my permanent address in Tulsa. The OKC/Edmond area usually gets mail a day in advance.

16 have now been taken off the waitlist.. 44 more to go?

Hey all,

Trying to decide between Oklahoma and NYMC. I am out of state for both. Does anyone know anything about Oklahomas Board pass rates or scores? I know that the curriculum is relatively new so I am not sure if there are any definitive numbers, but anything helps. Thanks so much!

Hey all,

Trying to decide between Oklahoma and NYMC. I am out of state for both. Does anyone know anything about Oklahomas Board pass rates or scores? I know that the curriculum is relatively new so I am not sure if there are any definitive numbers, but anything helps. Thanks so much!

choose NYMC! give us the spot to OU! lol jk :p
im not sure.. i wouldnt know where to look.. sry :/

Hey all,

Here's a recent thread that listed pros and cons. It's really not a definitive list, so keep that in mind.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=901838

Last edited:
Dotty said that there have been 21 people taken off the wait list. And since the deadline for holding multiple spots was yesterday, does that mean there won't be a lot of movement on the wait list from this point forward? Should I start looking at a place to live next year?

Dotty said that there have been 21 people taken off the wait list. And since the deadline for holding multiple spots was yesterday, does that mean there won't be a lot of movement on the wait list from this point forward? Should I start looking at a place to live next year?

Did she say that today or yesterday? I would imagine that would mean some new people should be hearing soon today or tomorrow then as a direct result of the may 15 deadline

Did anybody here get accepted off the wait-list or know anyone that did?

Did anybody here get accepted off the wait-list or know anyone that did?

I have been wondering the same thing. I do not know of anyone that has been taken off the wait-list.

My friend last year said over 40 people get off the waitlist. Hopefully that will also be the case this year. So I'm guessing right now all we can do is hope since the deadline for multiple spots had past and only 21 had dropped.... :(

My friend last year said over 40 people get off the waitlist. Hopefully that will also be the case this year. So I'm guessing right now all we can do is hope since the deadline for multiple spots had past and only 21 had dropped.... :(

Last year, all but a few people got off the waitlist. The May 15 deadline, while a good indicator, isn't set in stone for WL movement, because now people waiting at other schools could experience movement and drop their OU hold. Some people find out as late as June that they've been accepted to a school, meaning the waitlist is fluid until then. Don't give up! :)

Last year, all but a few people got off the waitlist. The May 15 deadline, while a good indicator, isn't set in stone for WL movement, because now people waiting at other schools could experience movement and drop their OU hold. Some people find out as late as June that they've been accepted to a school, meaning the waitlist is fluid until then. Don't give up! :)
Thank you for the encouraging words! I too was losing hope after not seeing many more spots open up around the deadline. I guess the wait continues.. :/

Does anyone know last year how many got off the waitlist prior to the may 15th deadline?

"We have taken 21 so far from the list and will be taking more in the next few weeks. The number is probably about normal for this time of year." - Dotty

This is what I got from Dotty early on the 17th. I don't feel that the 21 included all that would be taken due to the 15th deadline. I live under the assumption (or delusion) that the 15th was a postmark date and that they would receive answers after the 15th.

Am I way off and overly optimistic on this assumption?

Has anyone talked to Dotty recently or heard anything this week about the waitlist?

Just got the BRE in the mail today!!! To those still waiting keep your head up and stay confident. Prepare for the worst but hope for the best! Thanks to everyone in this blog for their advice and encouraging words.

Just got the BRE in the mail today!!! To those still waiting keep your head up and stay confident. Prepare for the worst but hope for the best! Thanks to everyone in this blog for their advice and encouraging words.

Congrats thats awesome news!

Congratulations!!! That is so exciting!! Do you mind sharing your gpa/mcat?

Congratulations! I hope we will all be joining you with the class of 2016.

Was it a big package? Also, if you don't mind, I would love to know your stats too.

I'm a 3.98. With 4.0 Science. 24 MCAT.

The board member at the reapplicant workshop told me I still had a good chance this year and was on the better part of the wait list. I was wondering if you received similar advice?

Congrats!! Can't wait to meet you during orientation! Good luck to everyone still waiting--I bet you'll hear soon :)

Congratulations!! It is exciting to finally read on here about someone from the waitlist getting their BRE. I feel like it gives all of us some hope!

Does anyone know how they order the waitlist? Does your interview factor in? And what role does your OU score play?

If you get accepted, will AMCAS send to your email something about background check right away?

Hey everyone, I've been reading this thread ever since I found out I got an interview last year, but never posted.. nor did I register for the site. So I only thought it'd be fair to finally make a post. Here's my story (if you care to read it):

Got an interview in the fall like everyone else. Talked to friends who were already at OU med, friends who also got interviews, and the pre-med advisor at OU and asked if my interview date was good. Everyone told me I had nothing to worry about: "You got it, you're gonna get in" or "Yea that's an awesome interview date!" Well, when the date came and Dr. Baker told us in that little auditorium that we were all either going to be deferred or rejected, my heart dropped. Thankfully, I got deferred. Sat by the mailbox for weeks after January 29th and was heartbroken when I found out I got wait-listed, but realized there was still hope. Talked to more people, they told me I probably wasn't getting in and to re-take the MCAT, was 100% against re-taking that horrid exam, but eventually realized that I had to if I wanted to get in. Waited by the mailbox for another couple months, lost hope in the wait-list, signed up to re-take the MCAT (scheduled for next Thursday, 5-31), studied a ton, stressed out, saw my hair line receding, then out of nowhere got my Big Red Envelope in the mail yesterday. Hallelujah!

Moral of the story - don't give up hope, but be ready if you don't get in. The harsh reality is that some people will get off the wait-list and some wont, but everyone on the wait-list (and even some who aren't on it) is "good enough" to be in medical school. You'll make it - this year or next.

Good luck to everyone!

Congratulations!! It is exciting to finally read on here about someone from the waitlist getting their BRE. I feel like it gives all of us some hope!

Does anyone know how they order the waitlist? Does your interview factor in? And what role does your OU score play?

The doc I had during the re-applicant workshop told me that the wait-list is ordered solely by "academic score."

What's your academic score? It's the score given to you based on your MCAT and GPA. They're both equally weighted (out of 15) so you take your MCAT average and add it to your GPA x 3.75 (e.g., 4.0 GPA x 3.75 would be 15), add those two together and divide that number by 2.

Formula: [ MCAT average + (GPA x 3.75) ] / 2 = Academic Score

Example: 3.8 GPA and 30 MCAT. 10 + (3.8 x 3.75) = 12.125

The doc I had during the re-applicant workshop told me that the wait-list is ordered solely by "academic score."

What's your academic score? It's the score given to you based on your MCAT and GPA. They're both equally weighted (out of 15) so you take your MCAT average and add it to your GPA x 3.75 (e.g., 4.0 GPA x 3.75 would be 15), add those two together and divide that number by 2.

Thank you. And congratulations on your acceptance!! Would you mind sharing your stats?

Hey everyone, I've been reading this thread ever since I found out I got an interview last year, but never posted.. nor did I register for the site. So I only thought it'd be fair to finally make a post. Here's my story (if you care to read it):

Got an interview in the fall like everyone else. Talked to friends who were already at OU med, friends who also got interviews, and the pre-med advisor at OU and asked if my interview date was good. Everyone told me I had nothing to worry about: "You got it, you're gonna get in" or "Yea that's an awesome interview date!" Well, when the date came and Dr. Baker told us in that little auditorium that we were all either going to be deferred or rejected, my heart dropped. Thankfully, I got deferred. Sat by the mailbox for weeks after January 29th and was heartbroken when I found out I got wait-listed, but realized there was still hope. Talked to more people, they told me I probably wasn't getting in and to re-take the MCAT, was 100% against re-taking that horrid exam, but eventually realized that I had to if I wanted to get in. Waited by the mailbox for another couple months, lost hope in the wait-list, signed up to re-take the MCAT (scheduled for next Thursday, 5-31), studied a ton, stressed out, saw my hair line receding, then out of nowhere got my Big Red Envelope in the mail yesterday. Hallelujah!

Moral of the story - don't give up hope, but be ready if you don't get in. The harsh reality is that some people will get off the wait-list and some wont, but everyone on the wait-list (and even some who aren't on it) is "good enough" to be in medical school. You'll make it - this year or next.

Good luck to everyone!

Thank you for your story. I feel that we have nearly the exact same story. Except: My MCAT is in 3 weeks, I haven't gotten a big red envelope, my hair is fine, but my face looks like it did in Junior High; which is a drastic change from a few months ago.

I hope I get my envelope soon and will be joining all of you this year.

Also, what are your stats, if you don't mind? The board member at the reapplication date told me that I was on the better part of the wait list... but this certainly doesn't feel like the good part of the wait list.

Got my BRE today!

Keep the faith guys and I am excited to meet you all soon.

Got my BRE today!

Keep the faith guys and I am excited to meet you all soon.
Congrats!! You said that your board member told you about your position on the wait-list? Do you remember who you had? Did anyone else get any feedback like this? I'm just wondering because my member made it seem like she had no information whatsoever on my position

I think I had heard before that the wait-list is first ordered by how many "accepts" you get from your interview day out of 5 (one vote from each of your interviewers, another in a slightly larger group, and one last vote from all the board members as a whole). Then, it is sorted out by OU scores. That way, your interview does play a large part in the process.

Example: Someone with an OU score of 11.5 but with 4 "accepts" and 1 "deferral" would be lower on the wait-list than someone with an OU score of 11.3 but with 5 "accepts."

I'm not completely sure this is how it works, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong or if I'm missing something.

I think that would make sense because my current OU score is higher than some of the people getting in. I may be lower down the wait-list :/

Status
Not open for further replies.