2011-2012 University of Toledo Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just some info they shared that you guys might want to know. They interview around 400 people for a class of 180 so it seems like an interview is a really good chance of an acceptance. They've accepted about 100 so far (they're accepting most of those they interview) and the turn around is uber quick (like 2 weeks). They've got an amazing match list and thanks to pre-step 1 testing, their pass rate is 98% the first time which is incredible. I was quite impressed :)

Did you make sure and tell them that I really still want an II? :D

Members don't see this ad.

Just some info they shared that you guys might want to know. They interview around 400 people for a class of 180 so it seems like an interview is a really good chance of an acceptance. They've accepted about 100 so far (they're accepting most of those they interview) and the turn around is uber quick (like 2 weeks). They've got an amazing match list and thanks to pre-step 1 testing, their pass rate is 98% the first time which is incredible. I was quite impressed :)

As a follow-up, for those of you that are interested here's a semi-detailed listing of the results of a recent match. @StephBee - I'm glad you had such a great experience!

http://www.utoledo.edu/med/md/matchday/2010.html

OMG, just got my first acceptance yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Feels unreal:). First interview attended...... (12/15/11), O/S
I knw I will be happy here if I attend because the school was great and the students were very familar with each other and very friendly. Great atmosphere:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
OMG, just got my first acceptance yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Feels unreal:). First interview attended...... (12/15/11), O/S
I knw I will be happy here if I attend because the school was great and the students were very familar with each other and very friendly. Great atmosphere:thumbup:

What are your stats, if you don't mind my asking? Still waiting for an interview.

EDIT: Congrats, by the way!

Last edited:
What are your stats, if you don't mind my asking? Still waiting for an interview.

EDIT: Congrats, by the way!

Thank you.....First MCAT 30 (6V)
2nd 32 (8V).
UGPA 3.8, Post-bac: 3.98c/4.0s
Hope you recieve ii soon, they told us on interview day that they interview to late. Good luck

2nd 32 (8V).
Hope you recieve ii soon, they told us on interview day that they interview to late. Good luck

I think mostly everyone is applying to the same schools I see the same screenames on here and other schools.

2nd 32 (8V).

Yeah, it's going to be a while. I have a 10, 10, 10 R score, but a 3.35 GPA. I was hoping they were *maybe* getting down to us plebians with only a B+ average... :laugh:

Hi... first time posting. I was hoping some current students could give me some details on the school.

I was accepted last week and am trying to decide between here and other schools. I was really impressed at my interview and got some good information but I would like to know

1) What you really like / don't like about the school?

2) What made you choose University of Toledo in the first place?

Thank you!!

*applicants who have talked to current students: I would love to hear anything you found out :)

Yeah, it's going to be a while. I have a 10, 10, 10 R score, but a 3.35 GPA. I was hoping they were *maybe* getting down to us plebians with only a B+ average... :laugh:

Yeah I'm around there as well, crossing fingers for an interview!

Well you are only 16! Worse case scenario: you do the PhD program. You reapply for medical school when you finish. Your MCAT score will shoot up several points from the additional science knowledge and experience, and now you are a nontraditional MD/PhD with great prospects for academic medicine. Top medical schools would love you for it, and you would get a stipend for several years. Oh did I mention at this time you will only be 20-22 years old? That is below the average age for a medical student anyway! I know a MD/PhD who did this with Physics. She was a physicist for a few years and realized she didn't care for labs. She applied to medical school and ended up going to Harvard! A lot of us would love to be in your shoes. You are obviously a very bright person. I know that I wouldn't have gotten a 3.3 if I attended college when I was that young. Think of it as a circumvented path to medicine. I wish you the best of luck this time, but I think my alternative would appease the third party and set you up for a fantastic career. Take advantage of this situation.

Well you are only 16! Worse case scenario: you do the PhD program. You reapply for medical school when you finish. Your MCAT score will shoot up several points from the additional science knowledge and experience, and now you are a nontraditional MD/PhD with great prospects for academic medicine. Top medical schools would love you for it, and you would get a stipend for several years. Oh did I mention at this time you will only be 20-22 years old? That is below the average age for a medical student anyway! I know a MD/PhD who did this with Physics. She was a physicist for a few years and realized she didn't care for labs. She applied to medical school and ended up going to Harvard! A lot of us would love to be in your shoes. You are obviously a very bright person. I know that I wouldn't have gotten a 3.3 if I attended college when I was that young. Think of it as a circumvented path to medicine. I wish you the best of luck this time, but I think my alternative would appease the third party and set you up for a fantastic career. Take advantage of this situation.

While your advice is good, please do put yourself in my shoes. If you had given up a normal social life (and prom... :cry:) to graduate at a young age... wouldn't you feel terrified of losing what makes you special? Yes, I'd be 20-22 with a PhD... but I'd still be 20-22. Along with everyone else who's applying. It may not make sense, but it is a very real fear of mine to go to grad school and be forced into a postdoc because no med school wants me. I haven't found one person on SDN who thinks a PhD is anything more than "an interesting EC". I have little interest in spending 5 years of my life to fail AGAIN at moving towards my dream. For the record, by the way- NOT doing MD/PhD after I graduate. Nuh uh. Ain't no way. Not gonna happen. There are advantages to grad school- but grad school as a whole will not be worth it if I fail a third time to gain admission.

While your advice is good, please do put yourself in my shoes. If you had given up a normal social life (and prom... :cry:) to graduate at a young age... wouldn't you feel terrified of losing what makes you special? Yes, I'd be 20-22 with a PhD... but I'd still be 20-22. Along with everyone else who's applying. It may not make sense, but it is a very real fear of mine to go to grad school and be forced into a postdoc because no med school wants me. I haven't found one person on SDN who thinks a PhD is anything more than "an interesting EC". I have little interest in spending 5 years of my life to fail AGAIN at moving towards my dream. For the record, by the way- NOT doing MD/PhD after I graduate. Nuh uh. Ain't no way. Not gonna happen. There are advantages to grad school- but grad school as a whole will not be worth it if I fail a third time to gain admission.

You have to consider the demographic of the people that are on this website. First of all, the same people show up on the same threads, so really you're hearing from a group of the same people over and over again. Secondly, anyone who thinks a Ph. D isn't an achievement is ignorant and has zero respect for all of the people who partly give them a reason to apply to medical school in the first place. Third: This website is full of people who have 4.0's and mid to high 30 MCAT's and really isn't representative of the applicant pool AT ALL. In fact, I'm more of an average applicant with a 28 MCAT and a 3.5.

That being said, a year off isn't the end of the world if you don't want to go pursue a Ph.D. This is my second application to medical school, and the year off I had was the best thing for me. In fact im GLAD I didn't get into medical school last cycle because I wasn't ready! Try to go get a job in the industry, perhaps go get your CNA and spend time seeing patients and caring for them. Trust me its really not the end of the world, and besides you have your whole life ahead of you dude.

Perhaps this wasn't appropriate for this thread, but wanted to chime in :oops: Hang in there man, the cycle has a long way to go yet

Members don't see this ad :)
You have to consider the demographic of the people that are on this website. First of all, the same people show up on the same threads, so really you're hearing from a group of the same people over and over again. Secondly, anyone who thinks a Ph. D isn't an achievement is ignorant and has zero respect for all of the people who partly give them a reason to apply to medical school in the first place. Third: This website is full of people who have 4.0's and mid to high 30 MCAT's and really isn't representative of the applicant pool AT ALL. In fact, I'm more of an average applicant with a 28 MCAT and a 3.5.

That being said, a year off isn't the end of the world if you don't want to go pursue a Ph.D. This is my second application to medical school, and the year off I had was the best thing for me. In fact im GLAD I didn't get into medical school last cycle because I wasn't ready! Try to go get a job in the industry, perhaps go get your CNA and spend time seeing patients and caring for them. Trust me its really not the end of the world, and besides you have your whole life ahead of you dude.

Perhaps this wasn't appropriate for this thread, but wanted to chime in :oops: Hang in there man, the cycle has a long way to go yet

I messaged you, since I'm pretty sure nobody else cares. :)

I'm really glad they interview so late into the cycle. It's certainly reassuring.

Last edited:

I'm going to second this. I was a young applicant when I applied last year (20) and didn't end up getting in off the waitlist I was on. So far, my year off has been amazing. I started a MS, found out it was a waste of time, dropped it, bought a ticket to Greece the next day, left the following day, and have been working as a medical scribe basically getting paid to hang out in the ED and see cool things/make great connections later for residency. I've gotten into 5 schools so far.

Moral of the story: Do not rush it. What "makes you special" (as you called being 16 applying) will always be there; you will always have gotten to this point at 16 (and honestly it REALLY could't matter less. It's a cool accomplishment, but I take my hat off to the people who leave careers and get in later in life while supporting families). The truth is, you are probably a victim to what I was told last cycle ("you're too young, get more life experience"), and no matter how mature you are, that statement is a true fact. I am so glad I didn't get in last cycle. Like I said, I'm really enjoying my year off, and now I have a choice as to which school I would like to attend (and several scholarships), instead of being pigeon-holed into a last minute acceptance off a waitlist.

I'm going to second this. I was a young applicant when I applied last year (20) and didn't end up getting in off the waitlist I was on. So far, my year off has been amazing. I started a MS, found out it was a waste of time, dropped it, bought a ticket to Greece the next day, left the following day, and have been working as a medical scribe basically getting paid to hang out in the ED and see cool things/make great connections later for residency. I've gotten into 5 schools so far.

Moral of the story: Do not rush it. What "makes you special" (as you called being 16 applying) will always be there; you will always have gotten to this point at 16 (and honestly it REALLY could't matter less. It's a cool accomplishment, but I take my hat off to the people who leave careers and get in later in life while supporting families). The truth is, you are probably a victim to what I was told last cycle ("you're too young, get more life experience"), and no matter how mature you are, that statement is a true fact. I am so glad I didn't get in last cycle. Like I said, I'm really enjoying my year off, and now I have a choice as to which school I would like to attend (and several scholarships), instead of being pigeon-holed into a last minute acceptance off a waitlist.

Okay, I messaged you too. Thanks!

Soooo, I called admissions today. The lady over the phone was super nice and confirmed that interviews run until April. ...The wait continues.

My undergraduate school offers a three credit organic chemistry I lecture along with a one credit lab (first semester). However, for organic chemistry II (second semester), they only offer the three credit lecture, but no additional lab. Does anyone know how UT looks at this? (Other med. schools I have checked with will accept the organic chemistry sequence offered by my undergrad, even though there is no second semester lab.)

My undergraduate school offers a three credit organic chemistry I lecture along with a one credit lab (first semester). However, for organic chemistry II (second semester), they only offer the three credit lecture, but no additional lab. Does anyone know how UT looks at this? (Other med. schools I have checked with will accept the organic chemistry sequence offered by my undergrad, even though there is no second semester lab.)

sounds like a sweet deal, you'd have to call them.

Got my Rejection letter in the mail today. Good luck to the rest of ya. Letter was dated January 12

Hi... first time posting. I was hoping some current students could give me some details on the school.

I was accepted last week and am trying to decide between here and other schools. I was really impressed at my interview and got some good information but I would like to know

1) What you really like / don't like about the school?

2) What made you choose University of Toledo in the first place?

Thank you!!

*applicants who have talked to current students: I would love to hear anything you found out :)

Current MS1 here, glad to hear you liked our school. I was an unconventional candidate in that I was a humanities major and didn't finish my application until really late in the cycle (October) so a lot of the schools on my list kind of ruled me out for the late app, but nevertheless I'm really happy with my decision to attend Toledo. The faculty is EXTREMELY receptive to students' complaints/comments/suggestions/concerns, and very accessible if you have any questions. Toledo really does care about the entire applicant and not just some test scores and grades on a piece of paper. I remember my interviewer and I spent the vast bulk of time talking about the situation in the Middle East, as I was a poli sci major. This really impressed me. Also, the school has the hospital and a clinic that students can participate in to get early exposure to the practice of medicine.

As for things I don't like, I can honestly say there aren't that many. The area around the hospital itself is a little shady, so many students do not live within walking distance. There are some though, and I haven't heard any complaints from them yet. The city of Toledo is pretty boring also, but I was spoiled going to undergrad in the middle of a city, and members of our class are always organizing different events. Other than that, I can't really think of any down sides to the school. Feel free to PM me or post with any other questions

Got my Rejection letter in the mail today. Good luck to the rest of ya. Letter was dated January 12

I am sorry to hear that :( best of luck the rest of the application season!!!

I am sorry to hear that :( best of luck the rest of the application season!!!

Thanks! Sometimes you just can't put a finger on medical school admissions! Ya just never know

FutbolFanatic - Thank you for the info. I'm going to have a tough time deciding.

I agree with everyone else. Don't be afraid to take some time to explore yourself. Try to have some fun if your parents will allow you to. It sounds like high school was more work than fun. Now is a good time to get anything spastic you want to do out of your system. You won't be able to later when you have a bunch of patients that depend on you. Don't rush the real world. I'm pretty sure most of us are happy to be avoiding the real world with more school. I would love it if I could defer and travel around for a year. I don't have the finances nor the ability to defer. Good luck this cycle, but keep an open mind. :)

I can finally say I'm going to be a doctor!
Accepted! Interviewed Jan 12th

Hello all -
Just a quick question - does anyone know the stats on out of state applicants?

I live in Michigan but in Wayne county.
I received an e-mail on 1/25 inviting me for an interview. My MCAT isn't on the strongest side (30S) but 3.92 GPA, two BS degrees + university honors, extensive shadowing/research/volunteer/clinical experience.

Just wondering if my chances are viable here. I did apply late in the cycle. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Congrats to all those accepted, and good luck to those still waiting :)

Hello all -

I received an e-mail on 1/25 inviting me for an interview. My MCAT isn't on the strongest side (30S) but 3.92 GPA, two BS degrees + university honors, extensive shadowing/research/volunteer/clinical experience.

Just wondering if my chances are viable here. I did apply late in the cycle. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Check my stats. I'm OOS, 30p mcat, 3.9ish gpa and just got accepted. Plus, they have a very high % acceptance post interview. You've got a great shot!
Also to consider, unlike most schools, you can gain state residence after the first year. :)!

Hello all -

Those stats are fine. You may want to brush up on your ethics before the interview ;)

I have been lurking on this thread for awhile, but decided to post today. I just got an II today. Can anyone of you who have already interviewed tell me what your day was like and any type of questions that they asked you. My other interviews have been very relaxed and just "get to know me" type questions. Thanks!

I have been lurking on this thread for awhile, but decided to post today. I just got an II today. Can anyone of you who have already interviewed tell me what your day was like and any type of questions that they asked you. My other interviews have been very relaxed and just "get to know me" type questions. Thanks!

It's a bit different than your standard interview just in the sense that they have an ethics component to their curriculum and therefore ask a lot of ethical questions during the interview. Mine were completely fine, no real stumpers. I really liked my interview here and they have a very quick turn around post interview (mine was 2 weeks)

I think mine was a more unusual experience, but I was only asked one ethical question by my first interviewer, and my second interviewer did not ask me any. If you look over the questions in the interview section of SDN for Toledo I think you will probably be fine for ethics. My first interview was a little scary, but again I don't think that is the norm. My second interview was pretty relaxed and involved "get to know me" questions as well as standard questions about med school (e.g. why do you want to be a doctor, etc.). Overall everyone seemed really nice at Toledo, don't sweat it!

Definitely brush up on those ethics questions. How the interview proceeds seems to depend on the kind of person your interviewer is. My first one was a busy man and really rushed through the interview. The second one took her time and really made conversation to get to know me. Both included ethics questions, one only two, the other kept going for maybe eight questions. Haha, but overall, not a stressful interview.

Hello all -

Toledo is a big safety school so people with multiple acceptances will start bailing out of this dump soon... you got a great chance

Toledo is a big safety school so people with multiple acceptances will start bailing out of this dump soon... you got a great chance

I would happily take an acceptance from this dump, thanks.

There are people from this dump that land in Mass General for residency so it's a pretty nice dump if you ask me.

It's a bit different than your standard interview just in the sense that they have an ethics component to their curriculum and therefore ask a lot of ethical questions during the interview. Mine were completely fine, no real stumpers. I really liked my interview here and they have a very quick turn around post interview (mine was 2 weeks)

I think mine was a more unusual experience, but I was only asked one ethical question by my first interviewer, and my second interviewer did not ask me any. If you look over the questions in the interview section of SDN for Toledo I think you will probably be fine for ethics. My first interview was a little scary, but again I don't think that is the norm. My second interview was pretty relaxed and involved "get to know me" questions as well as standard questions about med school (e.g. why do you want to be a doctor, etc.). Overall everyone seemed really nice at Toledo, don't sweat it!

Definitely brush up on those ethics questions. How the interview proceeds seems to depend on the kind of person your interviewer is. My first one was a busy man and really rushed through the interview. The second one took her time and really made conversation to get to know me. Both included ethics questions, one only two, the other kept going for maybe eight questions. Haha, but overall, not a stressful interview.

Thanks guys!! From what everyone is saying it seems as though they have a high acceptance rate. Good luck everyone! :)

It's always hard to tell if people like you are antisocial and narcisstic, or just trying to get a rise out of premeds. In either case, please keep these gems to yourself.

Look at their match list:
http://www.utoledo.edu/med/md/matchday/index.html

Look at how many scholarships they offer:
http://www.utoledo.edu/med/md/scholarships.html

Before you start spewing crap out, why don't you take a look and educate yourself about the program that you're dissing. UToledo is a great school, and I (as well as hundreds of other hopefuls) would absolutely love to attend here.

Check my stats. I'm OOS, 30p mcat, 3.9ish gpa and just got accepted. Plus, they have a very high % acceptance post interview. You've got a great shot!
Also to consider, unlike most schools, you can gain state residence after the first year. :)!

Those stats are fine. You may want to brush up on your ethics before the interview ;)

Thank you very much. Fingers crossed :xf:

Question to those that sent in the signed acceptance letter, did u receive an e-mail confirmation, titled letter of intent received?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.