2012-2013 Columbia University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But shouldn't the most important ones already be described on our primary? Like several of mine are marked most important.

So should I go the alternative route and talk about ones that were important but didn't make the top three cut?

This is kind of a horrible question to ask. I'd much rather have a "Why Columbia" essay. :oops:

Just do whatever you feel will best round out the entirety of the info that they get via your primary and secondary.

Members don't see this ad.

Just do whatever you feel will best round out the entirety of the info that they get via your primary and secondary.

Alright, thanks for taking some time to give advice!

Members don't see this ad :)
why do they ask about your parents/family?

They want to know if you have family ties to the University. This is very common. Almost all schools like to 'stay in the family.' I can imagine they also get much more donation money from families with a history at one school.

Alright, that's what I was doing, but I felt like AMCAS already covers everything. *shrug*

I have a feeling you and I will be meeting on the road at some point. I don't think you'll know it, but I have a feeling we'll meet.

I think you're right.

So every time you come across an applicant from ND you're going to slip into the conversation, "premed or dead" and wait for any sign of recognition?

This, of course, is contingent on there being more than one ND applicant, yehaw ;)

Dealers choice. I recommend listing the major ones and then explain why those are the most important. This secondary question is something of an artifact from the days before aamcas gave you a place to discuss the purpose of each ec.

I listed those bad boys. A lot of the advice I've seen has said that if the question asks for a list, that's exactly what you should give them.

-cj8

I think you're right.

So every time you come across an applicant from ND you're going to slip into the conversation, "premed or dead" and wait for any sign of recognition?

This, of course, is contingent on there being more than one ND applicant, yehaw ;)

I was under the assumption you're the only person in North Dakota. ;)

I listed those bad boys. A lot of the advice I've seen has said that if the question asks for a list, that's exactly what you should give them.

-cj8

The question doesn't ask for a list, it asks entirely "What did you participate in..."

Also, that poster my friend, I think he attends here. ;)

Last edited:
Ah my bad. I just assumed I put a list because he said list. Opening up my word file for the Columbia secondary, I see I did not list. However, I did use it as a way to mention extracurriculars that I did not put into my AMCAS because I felt they would dilute its content. I'm a nontrad so a lot of the more interesting things I've done have happened since undergrad which forced me to bump a few things off my work/activities section of the AMCAS. Sorry for the misinformation dudes and dudettes.

-cj8

I was under the assumption you're the only person in North Dakota. ;)

The question doesn't ask for a list, it asks entirely "What did you participate in..."

Also, that poster my friend, I think he attends here. ;)

I live in the vent above the admission suite.

This is pretty much what happened last year :laugh:. When someone in an interview group mentioned SDN, everyone else just went:
poker-face-300x266.jpg
poker-face-300x266.jpg
poker-face-300x266.jpg

:laugh: Why do people hide it?

I live in the vent above the admission suite.

If I get an interview I will make sure to sneak some chocolate chip cookies and milk in there for you.

Santa ain't the only one who loves cookies and milk!

Submitted today though! :xf::luck:

Finally got my secondary today! Also submitted it. Fingers crossed for good news!

Members don't see this ad :)
Primary Verified: 7/16
Secondary Received: 7/31

Finally got my secondary. But here's my thought, I don't know if I am right (I am most likely wrong), but does anyone think they actually group applicants based on their stats into batches? So people with better stats receive secondary earlier than people with less stellar stats? They may not pre-screen, but perhaps they group applicants based on stats?

Just speculating...because a lot of people who got verified later received secondaries already. It seems like the order they send out secondaries doesn't correspond to the order people's primary gets verified.

Finally got my secondary. But here's my thought, I don't know if I am right (I am most likely wrong), but does anyone think they actually group applicants based on their stats into batches? So people with better stats receive secondary earlier than people with less stellar stats? They may not pre-screen, but perhaps they group applicants based on stats?

Just speculating...because a lot of people who got verified later received secondaries already. It seems like the order they send out secondaries doesn't correspond to the order people's primary gets verified.

I don't think it has to do with stats. My GPA is below their bottom 10% and I'm a reapplicant, but I got the secondary on 7/12.

Traditionally, they do things in approximate order of the receipt of all of your materials. Interview invites are then determined by placing all the secondaries in big groups and going through the piles in the order that the groups were made, essentially. The groups are not screened though, not are the secondaries. Columbia prides itself on evaluating all applications fully. Dr. Nicholas reads all 5000+ of them.

Can't seem to find this info - how many letters can be sent with your application?

Quick question regarding the dual-degree programs there (besides MBA and MSTP)

I'm interested in the MSc in Narrative Medicine, and was wondering how I apply to it? I looked through the website and the secondary application, but there doesn't seem to be an "application" through the secondary. Do I apply separately?

Quick question regarding the dual-degree programs there (besides MBA and MSTP)

I'm interested in the MSc in Narrative Medicine, and was wondering how I apply to it? I looked through the website and the secondary application, but there doesn't seem to be an "application" through the secondary. Do I apply separately?

It might be worthwhile to include a quick comment on it in the "is there anything else we should know box", but the masters programs are applied to after admission. They are mere formalities though, anyone who wishes to do so at a Columbia program is allowed to.

Does the locked interview button "not yet scheduled" mean anything on the status page? Does everyone see this?

Just saw the answer on a previous page. Wahhh.

Last edited:
how long after submitting the secondary does it take to be marked complete?

Mine is also in locked status.

Mine too, and has been for a while. Still doesn't stop me from getting butterflys when I check it and I see "Interview date" on the page

Submitted 7/30, complete today. Best of luck, y'all!

I don't think the Locked interview status and "not schedule yet" mean anything, because I have that too without having turned in my LORs

So I just received an email from Dr. Mailman about how she can't wait to meet me next week for the white coat ceremony.... Then I realized that the email was supposed to be sent to the individuals who are about to enter medical school in the next couple of weeks....... Not funny at all Dr. Mailman, not funny at all....:(

Anyone still not received a secondary? I was verified 6/20. Seems like I DEFINITELY should have received one.

So I just received an email from Dr. Mailman about how she can't wait to meet me next week for the white coat ceremony.... Then I realized that the email was supposed to be sent to the individuals who are about to enter medical school in the next couple of weeks....... Not funny at all Dr. Mailman, not funny at all....:(

Whoops....

Don't shoot the messenger.

ahhh get it...? because of her last name, "Mailman?" I need a drum emoticon.

Ah, I get it. It's a pun because you used her name and said messenger... ahhahahahha... I see what you did and I approve this message.

Okay so I have a dumb question, but I'd appreciate it if anyone would deign to dignify it with an answer. When they say "collegiate extracurriculars," does this mean only items such as playing a sport for ones college, researching under a faculty member, or organizing a club at this college, for instance? So if I volunteer independently of my college, this would not be included in this section?

My question is pretty much the same. Why did they have to add 'collegiate'? Do they mean, EC during college? OR EC's that were done AT the college? What if you're a PostBac student - like me? How about EC after I graduated, and did at my PostBac?

OR...

Am I over thinking this, and should just put some of my ECs down regardless of when and where I did them?

Thoughts/feedback/ideas much appreciate...

My question is pretty much the same. Why did they have to add 'collegiate'? Do they mean, EC during college? OR EC's that were done AT the college? What if you're a PostBac student - like me? How about EC after I graduated, and did at my PostBac?

OR...

Am I over thinking this, and should just put some of my ECs down regardless of when and where I did them?

Thoughts/feedback/ideas much appreciate...

Over thinking it bud. Put non-work related stuff basically.

Over thinking it bud. Put non-work related stuff basically.

Yea. After sleeping on it, I think I was over thinking it too.

The stresses of the application process is probably getting to me... :confused:

I got an email from Columbia P&S asking me to apply. Do they somehow access people's scores & screen (and email people they are interested in), or am I just getting trolled for application fees?

I got an email from Columbia P&S asking me to apply. Do they somehow access people's scores & screen (and email people they are interested in), or am I just getting trolled for application fees?

I believe that there is some methodical process that they follow to select those to email, but honestly I wouldn't let it sway you if you weren't intending to apply. The email is sent out to a lot of people and doesn't necessarily reflect an increased likelihood of admission, simply that you meet their cut offs for sending the letter.

Was yours from Dr. Hutcherson? I got an email from her office inviting me to apply a few days back, too.

Awww man. I've been hesitant for a while about applying to such a selective school like Columbia, but I finally just added Columbia to my application. Hopefully I'm not too late to get onto this train!

I just spoke about 1 collegiate group i was a part of for EC essay because i spoke a lot about other EC's in primary, is that ok?

Does anyone who is complete not have the locked "interview not scheduled" message on their status page?

cj8

Does anyone who is complete not have the locked "interview not scheduled" message on their status page?

cj8

It doesn't mean anything (e.g. whether or not you're going to get an interview or not). It showed "interview not scheduled" on nearly every single secondary application that uses "Amp" for me.

How should we approach the EC question in the secondary? Should we just start talking about the major activities that we put down in the primary? Like volunteer work, etc.?

How should we approach the EC question in the secondary? Should we just start talking about the major activities that we put down in the primary? Like volunteer work, etc.?

Pick whatever you think will best represent or round out the primary info. Couple interesting talking points perhaps, or a few things that you didnt include in aamcas. This q is a renmant from when you didnt get room to explain your ecs.

Just submitted my secondary. Everything is checked off and it says that my application is "ready." Does this mean that I am complete or do they send a "complete" email?

Last edited:
Just submitted my secondary. Everything is checked off and it says that my application is "ready." Does this mean that I am complete or do they send a "complete" email?

I submitted about a month ago and never received a "complete" email, so I'm assuming it means you're complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.