2012-2013 Columbia University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any thoughts for or against using a Why Columbia essay in the space for 'anything else?'

I did the "why Columbia" for the anything else question.

Members don't see this ad.

Any thoughts for or against using a Why Columbia essay in the space for 'anything else?'

That is not the function of that space. Unless you have some notable reason, like "my wife and three kids are all at Columbia", that space is mostly for people with significant things they need to explain like a institutional action, etc.

That is not the function of that space. Unless you have some notable reason, like "my wife and three kids are all at Columbia", that space is mostly for people with significant things they need to explain like a institutional action, etc.

Do you honestly think that letting them know why you're applying to their school could be a bad thing? If you keep it a reasonable length then I don't see a problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
8. What challenges do you expect to arise from living and working in a complex urban environment? How will you meet them? (300 Words)

Any ideas on this question? I don't really understand what they're looking for

Okay dumb question but I'd appreciate it if anyone deigned to dignify it with a response. In terms of "collegiate extracurriculars," does this mean to only count items such as playing a sport for one's college, doing research under a faculty mentor, or organizing a club at college etc. So if I volunteer independently of my college, this would not count in this section, correct?

Okay so I have a dumb question, but I'd appreciate it if anyone would deign to dignify it with an answer. When they say "collegiate extracurriculars," does this mean only items such as playing a sport for ones college, researching under a faculty member, or organizing a club at this college, for instance? So if I volunteer independently of my college, this would not be included in this section?

Okay so I have a dumb question, but I'd appreciate it if anyone would deign to dignify it with an answer. When they say "collegiate extracurriculars," does this mean only items such as playing a sport for ones college, researching under a faculty member, or organizing a club at this college, for instance? So if I volunteer independently of my college, this would not be included in this section?

My understanding is that an extracurricular is anything you do outside of class work. Organizing/participating in a club, volunteering, and playing a sport would classify as extracurriculars.

Columbia is a dream school for me, but wondering if its crazy to even invest in the secondary? I have a 3.8 gpa... 4.0 sgpa. but 32 mcat with an 11 in verbal. Lots of extra curricula's, varsity athlete, and have been head of athletics at a school for children with anxiety disorders for the last year...
also... why do these secondaries keep asking for meaningful extra curriculars when we've talked about them ad nauseum in our primary? are we supposed to find new and meaningful things that we just didn't bother mentioning before, or do we repeat ourselves?
would be grateful for any advice!

I would apply. MCAT isn't everything and you listed two excellent extracurriculars already.

Do you honestly think that letting them know why you're applying to their school could be a bad thing? If you keep it a reasonable length then I don't see a problem.

No, it isn't a bad thing, it just isn't a good thing either in this case. That space is for special circumstances, but it isn't uncommon that people think that the school is trying to "test them" into putting something in that space. It will be overlooked in the decision to interview you unless it has some real bearing on their consideration. I l:love: columbia cuz its got prestiges and researches and funses is not it. You won't be punished for trying, however.

Columbia is a dream school for me, but wondering if its crazy to even invest in the secondary? I have a 3.8 gpa... 4.0 sgpa. but 32 mcat with an 11 in verbal. Lots of extra curricula's, varsity athlete, and have been head of athletics at a school for children with anxiety disorders for the last year...
also... why do these secondaries keep asking for meaningful extra curriculars when we've talked about them ad nauseum in our primary? are we supposed to find new and meaningful things that we just didn't bother mentioning before, or do we repeat ourselves?
would be grateful for any advice!

If it is your dream then you should try. People get accepted with 32s here. The ECs are asked because there have been recent changes in AMCAS that now allow you to explain your EC's and why they were meaningful. This was not the case in the past. Also, they want to give you a chance to list anything that might not have made it in the primary. If that doesn't apply, just summarize what EC's you find most important to yourself.

No, it isn't a bad thing, it just isn't a good thing either in this case. That space is for special circumstances, but it isn't uncommon that people think that the school is trying to "test them" into putting something in that space. It will be overlooked in the decision to interview you unless it has some real bearing on their consideration. I l:love: columbia cuz its got prestiges and researches and funses is not it. You won't be punished for trying, however.

This is a good point, oh well, I already submitted :laugh: hopefully this school shows me some love.

My understanding is that an extracurricular is anything you do outside of class work. Organizing/participating in a club, volunteering, and playing a sport would classify as extracurriculars.
So are we providing a list of EC or just expanding on one? 300 words seem pretty limited for all the ECs

Members don't see this ad :)
What is a complex urban environment mean? I have never heard that phrase before

What is a complex urban environment mean? I have never heard that phrase before

NYC = complex urban environment. NYC is unlike any another city, even other big cities. It can be a lot to deal with for some people and a dream for someone like me.

If you are trying to write "what they are looking for," chances are you won't write what they are looking for, they will know you are BS'ing, and you will look dumb as h*** for trying to write what you think they want to hear. Write a genuine response and the rest will work itself out.

It's fine that you misunderstood what I was asking, but at least have some humility about it man

Can somebody post the link to Columbia's secondary? I got the email but accidentally deleted it on my phone!!! :((

You said you don't understand what they are looking for. I don't see how I showed a lack of humility by telling u to give a genuine response. Good luck though.

I was asking what people's interpretation of the question was.

And thanks, you too

Could someone post the Bassett secondary prompt please? I'm very impressed and interested in the program. Thanks!

Just submitted my primary. I feel so behind everybody.

Just submitted my primary. I feel so behind everybody.

No need to feel that way. It is non-rolling after all and I think you submitted early enough.

No need to feel that way. It is non-rolling after all and I think you submitted early enough.

I agree that it is not considered late yet, but although Columbia has non-rolling admissions, they do have rolling interviews. So the later your application is complete, the fewer the number of interviews that remain.

I have no research experience applying to Columbia. Would it be wise to use the "anything else" space to talk about why I haven't done any research and that I would be very interested in engaging in such experiences during medical school?

I'm not sure what to do about the activities questions -- seems like I have already answered in the AMCAS. For example, I discuss what I have done since college in one of my "most meaningful experience" essays on AMCAS. Do you think it's OK to quickly summarize and refer back to that essay (ie. "as described in the Experience section of my AMCAS")?

I have no research experience applying to Columbia. Would it be wise to use the "anything else" space to talk about why I haven't done any research and that I would be very interested in engaging in such experiences during medical school?

I think that would be appropriate... I have been treating the extra essays as a way to highlight anything missing in my application. In my case, I have been including an essay about my family background, which I don't mention anywhere else.

Does this seem right?

I think that would be appropriate... I have been treating the extra essays as a way to highlight anything missing in my application. In my case, I have been including an essay about my family background, which I don't mention anywhere else.

Does this seem right?

Sure, I suppose if it is relevant that's fine.

I mean, if you have a significant reason for not having done any research, I suppose you could say so. I don't think emphasizing a desire to do it in medical school is worthwhile beyond any indicators of future interest in research that may be present in your PS, etc.

all the word counts are 300 words now. And the bassett question is:

What aspect of Columbia-Bassett has the most appeal to you? 3000 characters

Question: On the Bassett website it says to indicate that you want to also apply to the P and S track by writing it on the "what else do you want us to know?" but I think I read somewhere that they will automatically consider you regardless.

Does anyone know which is correct? I'm abroad so I can't call and ask and emails havent been too successful.

I've already submitted + paid the fee, and under "Document Upload Status" my committee letter is listed, but on the Status page it says that my LORs haven't been received, so therefore I'm not complete. Anyone else getting something like this?

I've already submitted + paid the fee, and under "Document Upload Status" my committee letter is listed, but on the Status page it says that my LORs haven't been received, so therefore I'm not complete. Anyone else getting something like this?

+1 I'd give it a week or so.

I
all the word counts are 300 words now. And the bassett question is:

What aspect of Columbia-Bassett has the most appeal to you? 3000 characters

Question: On the Bassett website it says to indicate that you want to also apply to the P and S track by writing it on the "what else do you want us to know?" but I think I read somewhere that they will automatically consider you regardless.

Does anyone know which is correct? I'm abroad so I can't call and ask and emails havent been too successful.

It sounds reasonable to include it to be on the safe side.

Do they want you to write your collegiate extracurriculars in a list format like last year's application?

+1. submitted on 7/13 (last Friday) so the weekend is skewing my view of how long they've had to work with my secondary.

EDIT: Just checked (7/17) and my letters are marked as received and it says my application is complete. I have not yet received an email, though.

Last edited:
+1. submitted on 7/13 (last Friday) so the weekend is skewing my view of how long they've had to work with my secondary.

EDIT: Just checked (7/17) and my letters are marked as received and it says my application is complete. I have not yet received an email, though.

Ditto

Do they want you to write your collegiate extracurriculars in a list format like last year's application?

Whatever floats your boat. That's probably easiest, though you don't necessarily have to list all of your ECs. I would focus mostly on those most important to you.

Would a hardship or a diversity essay fit in the 'anything else you wanna tell us' prompt?

Hardship? Definitely. What's a "diversity essay"?

Ask other SDN'ers, they can define it better than me. I was actually going to write about my pectus excavatum something that has seriously affected me my entire life.

Ask other SDN'ers, they can define it better than me. I was actually going to write about my pectus excavatum something that has seriously affected me my entire life.

I mean, I guess I can see how that could be used for diversity, but I don't know if I would suggest using that in that particular box. If your pectus excavatum has negatively affected your performance, however, that would be a relevant thing for that prompt.

all the word counts are 300 words now.

I re-submitted my application on Sunday (15 July) when some of the questions were 250 words and some were 300. Did anyone else do this? Also, when I submitted, the "Describe your parents' occupations" question was limited to 250 CHARACTERS. Is that still the case now or is that one changed to 250/300 words?

I can still see the secondary application, but none of the word limits have changed on mine. I'm a little concerned that they'll think I'm lazy since some of my responses will be pretty short if they're all 300 words now. Called the admissions office on Monday but they didn't really seem to know what was happening with all the glitches so far, and I still haven't heard back from them.

just curious how many Columbia med students live outside Manhattan?

Status
Not open for further replies.