2012-2013 Indiana University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I am counting on IU to show me some in-state love!

Last edited:
C'mon anybody here applying to IU????? I know I'm not alone here.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying from Ohio, cant wait to be rejected! haha

checking in here! I've got a quick question - I'll be under 21 when I submit my primary, and based on requirements posted on IU's website, I'll be in-state. But when I matriculate (if I get accepted, that is), I'll be 22 and apparently no longer in-state even though my permanent address is in IN, my car is registered there, my driver's license is from IN, etc. This is due to me taking a year off after college to work. On my application, am I still considered in-state? Does anyone else have this problem?

Hey I was wondering if I could get some advice for applying to IU. For the next 2 years I will be getting my MPH at Purdue University and then I plan on applying to IU. I have <120 hours volunteering in an ER, <200 hours as a volunteer biology and chem tutor, over 80 hours of physician shadowing, have worked as a nursing assistant for 14 months and a monitor technician for 8 months....So here is the question. Should I retake my MCAT?
PS (9) VR (8) BS (14) WS (Q) Overall 31Q
Pre-medical major with minor in Biology GPA (3.82)
I know a post like this can take up room on the feed so please send me a private message. Thanks!

hoosier looking for some instate love! got a low gpa and hoping to get a good gpa so i can have a shot here

Hey I was wondering if I could get some advice for applying to IU. For the next 2 years I will be getting my MPH at Purdue University and then I plan on applying to IU. I have <120 hours volunteering in an ER, <200 hours as a volunteer biology and chem tutor, over 80 hours of physician shadowing, have worked as a nursing assistant for 14 months and a monitor technician for 8 months....So here is the question. Should I retake my MCAT?
PS (9) VR (8) BS (14) WS (Q) Overall 31Q
Pre-medical major with minor in Biology GPA (3.82)
I know a post like this can take up room on the feed so please send me a private message. Thanks!

From everything I hear, a 31 is plenty good if you're IS and apply early to IU.

Tempted to apply but I'm OOS so I'll probably pass and save money. Probably competitive enough if I was IS. 31, ~3.8c/3.9s for an OOS applicant? Worth it?

I suggest you look at last year's thread. It seems like they have the bar set extremely high for OOS applicants. If you don't mind spending money on the primary it can't hurt because there's no real secondary if you get rejected pre-secondary like many OOS applicants did last year. Even if you don't apply to IU, with your stats I'm sure you'll get multiple acceptances at other good schools. Good luck!

Does anyone know how to convey to IU SOM one's strong ties to the state (I was born & raised there and family still lives there) since they don't give out a secondary essay? I am concerned that because I am now an OOS applicant, I may be rejected before having the chance to explain my strong ties. Any suggestions? I would appreciate any advice or insight!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how to convey to IU SOM one's strong ties to the state (I was born & raised there and family still lives there) since they don't give out a secondary essay? I am concerned that because I am now an OOS applicant, I may be rejected before having the chance to explain my strong ties. Any suggestions? I would appreciate any advice or insight!

Had this problem last year, and was rejected OOS despite growing up almost my entire life in Indiana. I believe you can write them a letter at any point during the application period, don't know if it makes a difference but its definitely worth your time.

Wow. Thanks for the reply, Pirates1992! I better get working on a letter and figure out who to send it to within admissions... I appreciate your help. Here's to hoping it all works out!

I know it's early and all but this thread sure seems quiet. On the plus side if there are so few people applying to IU this year our chance of acceptance skyrockets!

Reapplicant here. Really hoping this is my year to be accepted straightaway.

Reapplicant here. Really hoping this is my year to be accepted straightaway.

Hopefully you are aware that a "neonatology MD" isnt a thing. That would require a peds residency and neonate fellowship.

Hopefully you are aware that a "neonatology MD" isnt a thing. That would require a peds residency and neonate fellowship.

Yes, I am fully aware. My plans are to complete an additional three year fellowship in neonatal-perinatal medicine after three years of residency in pediatrics. I have four years of volunteerism in a NICU, so I am well versed in the steps it takes to get to where I want to be.

i have a question.. someone told me about if you get rejected there is a masters program. He said it was a waste of time and $40,000 but it sounded like if you do the masters program, you'll get accepted the next year? is it really that easy? Does everyone who gets rejected get to do the masters program?

I've looked into the Master's program. There are actually two that the MD program particularly likes: a one-year MS in Physiology, and a one-year MS in Bio. However, the Directors of both MS programs will tell you that finishing either degree is NOT a guarantee of admission into the MD program.

Looking at last year's thread, some of you may start receiving secondary materials soon - in another week or so!

Unfortunately, I recently included another set of MCAT scores that won't be available until August, so it looks like I have a bit longer of a wait.

Good luck to everyone else who is complete and awaiting the supplemental forms!

IUSM finally sent me an email saying they downloaded my AMCAS application. I assume they finally have gotten around to start looking at apps because I think AMCAS sent them my app weeks ago.

Did anyone else get an email from IU today? Did anyone get an email before today?

I got one. Do they not have a secondary or fee? That would be awesome

They only send "supplementary materials" (just some forms I think) to those that they will offer interviews to. I believe there is a $50 fee if you get the supplementary email.

They only send "supplementary materials" (just some forms I think) to those that they will offer interviews to. I believe there is a $50 fee if you get the supplementary email.

Gotcha, thanks

IUSM finally sent me an email saying they downloaded my AMCAS application. I assume they finally have gotten around to start looking at apps because I think AMCAS sent them my app weeks ago.

Did anyone else get an email from IU today? Did anyone get an email before today?

I got the email. OOS from Wisconsin. Indian seemed like a nice school so I applied.

Hey everyone Quick question,

I have a friend that goes to IUB now and he wanted me to ask about state students for this school. I think that the average GPA and MCAT is around 3.8 31, but does anyone know if IU gives preference to in state students? Can you get in with lower stats, and if so, what are the minimums to be considered "competitive"?

If I am not mistakin, I think IU is the only school in the state of Indiana, which means this is his best shot. For some reason he wont apply to DO schools

Hey everyone Quick question,

I have a friend that goes to IUB now and he wanted me to ask about state students for this school. I think that the average GPA and MCAT is around 3.8 31, but does anyone know if IU gives preference to in state students? Can you get in with lower stats, and if so, what are the minimums to be considered "competitive"?

If I am not mistakin, I think IU is the only school in the state of Indiana, which means this is his best shot. For some reason he wont apply to DO schools

First of all, a lot of times the "averages" are inflated due to reported numbers for accepted applicants (i.e. higher stat people getting accepted and then choosing not go there, essentially opening up a new spot for someone with lesser numbers). If you look in the MSAR you will see the total numbers in terms of percentiles. The 10th-percentile is much lower than 3.8 and 31. I can't say what makes you "competitive" for IU, but I can say that I have heard of plenty of IS applicants getting in with 27-29 MCAT, sometimes even lower. I can't say more about his chances without knowing your friend's exact numbers.

Hope this helps.

First of all, a lot of times the "averages" are inflated due to reported numbers for accepted applicants (i.e. higher stat people getting accepted and then choosing not go there, essentially opening up a new spot for someone with lesser numbers). If you look in the MSAR you will see the total numbers in terms of percentiles. The 10th-percentile is much lower than 3.8 and 31. I can't say what makes you "competitive" for IU, but I can say that I have heard of plenty of IS applicants getting in with 27-29 MCAT, sometimes even lower. I can't say more about his chances without knowing your friend's exact numbers.

Hope this helps.

He got a 28 on the mcat. I think his cGPA is 3.5 and his sGPA 3.3.

does anyone know how IU values sGPA vs cGPA? What is the 10th percentile for IU?

the people who get in with 27-29, what is their gpa?

I told him to apply DO as backup but he doesnt want to. He told me his adviser doesnt know anything.

He got a 28 on the mcat. I think his cGPA is 3.5 and his sGPA 3.3.

does anyone know how IU values sGPA vs cGPA? What is the 10th percentile for IU?

the people who get in with 27-29, what is their gpa?

I told him to apply DO as backup but he doesnt want to. He told me his adviser doesnt know anything.

I think he definitely has a shot at IU. If he is in-state I would probably say that if he couldn't get into IU, then he probably couldn't get in anywhere (except maybe the bottom ranked schools), just because IU takes care of in-staters from what I hear.

Some people just don't want to apply DO and that's their prerogative.

I can't tell you IU's 10th-percentile right now (too much trouble to look it up on my phone), maybe someone else here can help out and look it up for you. As far as the people getting in with sub-30 MCATs I'm sorry but a lot of that info was second hand and I don't know their GPAs, but that's a good question.

My labmate got in here with a 24 and a 3.1, URM... but still. If you're trying to put an exact science to medical school admissions, frankly... you're doing it wrong.

I think he definitely has a shot at IU. If he is in-state I would probably say that if he couldn't get into IU, then he probably couldn't get in anywhere (except maybe the bottom ranked schools), just because IU takes care of in-staters from what I hear.

Some people just don't want to apply DO and that's their prerogative.

I can't tell you IU's 10th-percentile right now (too much trouble to look it up on my phone), maybe someone else here can help out and look it up for you. As far as the people getting in with sub-30 MCATs I'm sorry but a lot of that info was second hand and I don't know their GPAs, but that's a good question.

I checked the percentiles. 10th percentile is: cGPA 3.5 and sGPA 3.3, 27 MCAT.

I dont think things are looking too good for him :(

I checked the percentiles. 10th percentile is: cGPA 3.5 and sGPA 3.3, 27 MCAT.

I dont think things are looking too good for him :(

You're right he's far from a shoe-in but he should still apply. People have gotten in with less.

Just found this thread. I got the email on the 12th as well. I was so relieved because the silence was starting to become deafening! haha I'm IS EDP, btw.

Glad I'll have some other people to stress about all the details of this process with. :)

For EDP.. once we get our secondaries do you know if we need to turn those in by the EDP deadline of Aug. 1?

The Indiana University Hospital cracked the US news top 20!

For EDP.. once we get our secondaries do you know if we need to turn those in by the EDP deadline of Aug. 1?
The way I understood it was that our primary had to be in by August 1st, and our secondary needs to be in before the interview. Anyone gotten a secondary yet, EDP or otherwise?

Pirates1992 said:
If you're trying to put an exact science to medical school admissions, frankly... you're doing it wrong.
You make a very valid point. A lot of the selection process is subjective seeing as though people on a committee make the decision, in the end. It's not like applying to law school, where your GPA and LSAT score matter about 80-90% of the time in the final decision. Instead, I would guess that GPA and MCAT scores for IU matter about 60%, since IU seems to pick those with a good personality and good character. However, that's not the case for everybody, as there are always some jerks that slip through the cracks :laugh:.

Anyways, I just finished the 1st year at the Indianapolis campus. I will check in on this thread from time to time to help answer questions that I can adequately answer (to those who are asking about EDP I am not comfortable answering any questions since I applied too late for EDP; calling the IU Admissions Office will yield you the best help). Good luck and best wishes to you all on this application cycle.

Do you think competition will change with the new Med school comming?

Do you think competition will change with the new Med school comming?

I assume you're referring to Marian? Well it's going to be a DO school, so competitiveness won't change for the people with higher stats, but I would have to guess that maybe some of the lower stat people might apply there. The thing is though, would anyone who was qualified to get into IU not apply there because there is another school? I would guess not, so I'm not sure how the competitiveness would actually change. Now if however IU decided that since they are no longer the only medical school in the state, and for purposes of "serving the state's physician needs," that they don't have to accept as many applicants, or at least some lower stat applicants, then yes the competitiveness would change. It's an interesting question though.

I assume you're referring to Marian? Well it's going to be a DO school, so competitiveness won't change for the people with higher stats, but I would have to guess that maybe some of the lower stat people might apply there. The thing is though, would anyone who was qualified to get into IU not apply there because there is another school? I would guess not, so I'm not sure how the competitiveness would actually change. Now if however IU decided that since they are no longer the only medical school in the state, and for purposes of "serving the state's physician needs," that they don't have to accept as many applicants, or at least some lower stat applicants, then yes the competitiveness would change. It's an interesting question though.

Yeah I wonder. I know IU tends to wait list a lot of people, and I bet that state students who dont get in anywhere else would more than likely be accepted to IU.

I think that borderline applicants will hurt from this. I think that IU will benefit, as they will no longer be obligated to take those lower stat students.

Or would it help low stat students? That increases the chances of getting in to a medical school of some kind, I think they are opening up 150 new seats?

I can see Indiana being an Iowa; where the medical school is extremely tough to get into while the DO school is one of the tougher ones as well.

Rejected pre-secondary! I'm OOS and have a 3.7/34. This is one of the few schools I wasn't going to send secondaries to, anyway, but I'm just sad that they rejected me before I could reject them.

Rejected pre-secondary! I'm OOS and have a 3.7/34. This is one of the few schools I wasn't going to send secondaries to, anyway, but I'm just sad that they rejected me before I could reject them.

Same deal. 3.6/34. First rejection. First of many, but not all hopefully. :xf:

same herrrrre. 3.74/35. oh well, cant get into them all!

Status
Not open for further replies.