2012-2013 Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm surprised the University of Illinois made it to your list. The cost of attendance for OOS is around $90,000 a year.

Without going into details, I may be able to gain Illinois residency prior to matriculation.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the encouragement, good luck to you as well!

Do you think that I applied to too few schools? The truth is that these are the only schools I really have much interest in, so as long as I get into one of them, I'm good.
i can appreciate only applying to schools you are really interested in. i'm sure you'll get into Indiana at the very least. in my opinion though (take it for what it is) probably a quarter of the schools you applied to are EXTREMELY competitive for anyone, even with the highest grades/mcat. as a second time applicant myself i wasn't taking any chances this year and applied to every school I felt I could have a reasonable shot at. good luck!

^hope that didn't come across negatively!

i can appreciate only applying to schools you are really interested in. i'm sure you'll get into Indiana at the very least. in my opinion though (take it for what it is) probably a quarter of the schools you applied to are EXTREMELY competitive for anyone, even with the highest grades/mcat. as a second time applicant myself i wasn't taking any chances this year and applied to every school I felt I could have a reasonable shot at. good luck!

^hope that didn't come across negatively!
No didn't come across negatively at all. I appreciate the honesty, and like I said, I just want to be a doctor so if I can get in somewhere, I will be thrilled!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry dudes, been away from SDN for a while since it was just making this process worse. I've had II's from Temple and VCU since my original post so I've calmed down a little. Thanks for everyone who's been encouraging and I sincerely hope that good news arrives soon for those still waiting.

Applied MD/PhD with a 3.8/36 and been complete at most places I've applied for about a month now; the only thing I've heard back yet is a rejection from NYU.:scared::thumbdown:

Sorry dudes, been away from SDN for a while since it was just making this process worse. I've had II's from Temple and VCU since my original post so I've calmed down a little. Thanks for everyone who's been encouraging and I sincerely hope that good news arrives soon for those still waiting.

congrats man. :thumbup:

Applied MD/PhD with a 3.8/36 and been complete at most places I've applied for about a month now; the only thing I've heard back yet is a rejection from NYU.:scared::thumbdown:

md/phd is tough, no doubt about it. good luck!

This should be renamed the support thread of 2012-2013. What I'm most concerned about is preparing for the interview. How are you guys going to prepare?

Anyways, I submitted pretty early and was complete early, mid July at most schools. I'm waiting to hear back from 24 schools. I expected to get a lot more rejections early on from the top schools, but I guess they go a little more slowly. I've been rejected from Tulane, Boston, and UCSF. Not a big loss since I didn't want to go there anyways. One interview from Drexel. 3.44c/3.5s/31N upward trend GPA. It's hard not to obsess over this stuff.

Yup, this thread is about what I was looking for. I'm probably in the second quartile of students in terms of submitting both primary and secondaries. Haven't been able to do anything except wait since mid-August. So far, 0/14 IIs, 0/14 rejections, 0/14 anything really. Only news was getting small-pooled at MCW. Every morning I check my emails on my phone and curse a bit under my breath. It's been kind of a constitutive level of stress for weeks now.

story of my life -__-

Yup, this thread is about what I was looking for. I'm probably in the second quartile of students in terms of submitting both primary and secondaries. Haven't been able to do anything except wait since mid-August. So far, 0/14 IIs, 0/14 rejections, 0/14 anything really. Only news was getting small-pooled at MCW. Every morning I check my emails on my phone and curse a bit under my breath. It's been kind of a constitutive level of stress for weeks now.

Agreed on all counts - this is really the thread I needed to see. I've been complete at 13 schools since mid-August, and I'm working on secondaries for 3 more that I just submitted my primary to (gahh burnout). No rejections yet here either, and similarly have just been small pooled a couple places. No IIs yet. 3.82c/3.86s/31R.

Both from those who are in a similar place to me and from med students who interviewed later in the season, these posts mean a lot to me! They're really helping me breathe a little sigh of relief. Wishing everyone the best of luck.

Agreed on all counts - this is really the thread I needed to see. I've been complete at 13 schools since mid-August, and I'm working on secondaries for 3 more that I just submitted my primary to (gahh burnout). No rejections yet here either, and similarly have just been small pooled a couple places. No IIs yet. 3.82c/3.86s/31R.

Both from those who are in a similar place to me and from med students who interviewed later in the season, these posts mean a lot to me! They're really helping me breathe a little sigh of relief. Wishing everyone the best of luck.

Guys I agree with 1289... if it isn't too late, add a few more schools to your lists. A lot of this is left to chance and you won't know what in your application resonates with the adcom member who reads your app and gives you that interview. I would increase the odds a bit and the money will be nothing compared to having to apply all over again! Perhaps pick schools that interview a lot of people, or schools that like things you've highlighted in your application etc.

best of luck and I think September will be a big month for interview invitations... at least I hope so! :xf:

Guys I agree with 1289... if it isn't too late, add a few more schools to your lists. A lot of this is left to chance and you won't know what in your application resonates with the adcom member who reads your app and gives you that interview. I would increase the odds a bit and the money will be nothing compared to having to apply all over again! Perhaps pick schools that interview a lot of people, or schools that like things you've highlighted in your application etc.

best of luck and I think September will be a big month for interview invitations... at least I hope so! :xf:
yup. i have 3 interviews, but I applied to almost 30 schools total.

me too! 29 applications complete and 3 interviews so far...and our stats are the same haha good luck this cycle! hope it works out for us :)

Members don't see this ad :)

For sure, the more schools you apply to the better your chances are. I just applied to 3 more schools, though, and am finding that my brain is so over writing secondary essays. I'm impressed that you guys managed to write that many!

server

Submitted AMCAS mid-June, 3.8+/34+, complete secondaries within a timely manner, and all I've received is rejections from 6 schools (albeit very selective ones), and on hold at GWU. Thankfully I applied to 30+ schools.

Here's to hoping September is a better month for me :scared:

server

Submitted AMCAS mid-June, 3.8+/34+, complete secondaries within a timely manner, and all I've received is rejections from 6 schools (albeit very selective ones), and on hold at GWU. Thankfully I applied to 30+ schools.

Here's to hoping September is a better month for me :scared:

Don't worry, I'm sure you will get a flood of interviews very soon. The process is really all psychological, so don't let it get to you.

Same! I've been complete at most schools since mid August and I only have two interviews.

I'm considering it now, but I'm not sure which schools to even add at this point. I was actually originally applying to only 12 schools, only added a couple more just before verification. I know that I was looking at around 30 schools before, guess I can afford to revisit some. Hope it's not too late at this point.

Hi,

Do you have MSAR? I first used a very algorithmic approach to narrow down schools...so looking at percent of OOS applicants interviewed for one, where you fall in the range for GPA and MCAT...I marked green where i was average, yellow if i was slightly below for one but not the other etc.... and red if i was way below average.

Also read their mission statement...the SDN thread first few pages with current student feedback to see wht they like to see and if you have that in your application (a lot of non-med service, research etc.) ...aaaaand call admissions to see if it's too late to apply in their opinion.

if you don't have MSAR and would like to know some numbers...just PM me and I will copy and paste the spreadsheet I had initially made for myself to narrow down schools.

I have noticed though that the only schools I've gotten interviews at so far, were ones were I had very genuine essays on my reasons for wanting to go there. If you really have no interest in other schools at this point, it might be a waste of your time/money. But there are a LOT of amazing schools out there so I'm sure you'll be able to find a few more you love :)

MSTP is a totally different ballgame with a totally different timeline. Of the 5 friends I have who are applying MSTP, everyone has gotten 0 or 1 interviews so far at random schools (WashU, Penn, Illinois, etc) but nobody has the 5-15 interviews some people at MD only schools have right now. You should have different expectations than your MD friends at this point in the cycle. Don't worry - it's still early.

But yeah, I still worry. It's only natural right? :xf:

I'm panicking so much that I'm preparing my application for next year... trying to add more EC's, research, volunteering, classes to boost GPA... ANYTHING!!!! :scared:

Applied to 30+ schools. 1 II, 2 rejections. Just need to submit one more secondary.

As a side note, how does one go about simultaneously applying to MBS/SMP type programs that begin next fall? I guess I gotta start those up too. :mad:

MSTP is a totally different ballgame with a totally different timeline. Of the 5 friends I have who are applying MSTP, everyone has gotten 0 or 1 interviews so far at random schools (WashU, Penn, Illinois, etc) but nobody has the 5-15 interviews some people at MD only schools have right now. You should have different expectations than your MD friends at this point in the cycle. Don't worry - it's still early.

But yeah, I still worry. It's only natural right? :xf:

Haha thanks for bringing me down to earth. Been spending a lot of time on the planet known as "MD/PhD Interview Invite Thread"...a place where everybody has a 3.9+/38+ with multiple pubs. :p

I'm starting to panic. I should hear back from a lot of schools this month...

Time to start panicking. Out of 25 schools I now have 7 rejections and one interview invite. 5 of the rejections were extreme reach schools, but it's still a bad sign.

I've been complete at 14 of the 16 schools I applied to for about a month, have 1 interview invite that was automatic, and a rejection. I'm fairly worried that I didn't apply to enough schools, and I'm partially getting by just telling myself the interviews are yet to come... The first thing I do when I wake up is check my phone for interview invites though...

I really should start looking at some safety schools.

I applied to 25+ schools and have 1 interview so far... I told myself that September would be a good month but so far no luck!

I start in a new research lab this Thursday. I'm volunteering in it Tuesdays and Thursdays and am really hoping for the best with it as I'm anxious about starting. I'll be helping the postdoc out on a project and am hoping for a better experience from what I had over the summer. (Just the PI and I, lots of information thrown at me and no chance to ask questions as he wouldn't take the time to explain much, didn't have me associate with anyone else in the lab.)

Last edited:
I applied to 25+ schools and have 1 interview so far... I told myself that September would be a good month but so far no luck!

I agree, September is crap so far! let's hope the second half is better than the first :xf:

Alright y'all. I'm officially panicking.

tumblr_m8z8fejIPu1rtsdv7.gif

Alright y'all. I'm officially panicking.

tumblr_m8z8fejIPu1rtsdv7.gif

I wouldn't worry too much, your application is very strong (hope your EC's are intentionally missing from your MDApps). The only problem is you applied to some competitive schools, so it might take a while to hear back, don't forget they probably just started sending out II maybe a month ago max at some of your schools (I think).

I'm getting pretty worried, but I'm going to wait until Thursday to be worried, today is 9/11 so I doubt they really did work as hard today.

The thing that's making me nervous is that people (with similar stats) are getting II even though my application was complete before their's.

The thing that's making me nervous is that people (with similar stats) are getting II even though my application was complete before their's.
youre an international applicant. surely you're aware this puts you at a slight disadvantage to other people with the same stats.

youre an international applicant. surely you're aware this puts you at a slight disadvantage to other people with the same stats.

I'm not international. My location on MDApps isn't accurate.

The first thing I do when I wake up is check my phone for interview invites though...

That's me, too. I hate waking up in the morning now.

Complete at 16 schools in the first week of August, 1 rejection, 0 II's. It looks like this upcoming holiday season is going to be very depressing for me...

You applied to 11 schools, 3 of which are non-rolling. I don't think it's time to panic yet (for any of us).... Ask me how I feel about your (and everyone's) situation in November.

Edit: I just realized this was the Panic thread... not 2017 like I thought.... Continue with the Panic!!!!

3.71 Overall and 30 O MCAT... applied to 16 schools and have 5 interviews so far (two of which came in today and yesterday). No rejections yet. Does anyone know if this is decent for this time of year with my stats? I was super panicky at first and didn't think I'd get any but now I'm just panicky about bombing the ones I have......

I LOOK FAT IN MY SECONDARY PICTURE!!!! :cry:

In other news, it's strange that some schools haven't gotten my LORs yet. :eek:

3.71 Overall and 30 O MCAT... applied to 16 schools and have 5 interviews so far (two of which came in today and yesterday). No rejections yet. Does anyone know if this is decent for this time of year with my stats? I was super panicky at first and didn't think I'd get any but now I'm just panicky about bombing the ones I have......

Have you even read the last few pages of this thread?