2012-2013 Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

punkedoutriffs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I was not susceptible to premed anxiety. Every new day without an II proves me wrong a little bit more.

I submitted primary on 6/2.
Verified by 6/5.
Applied to 30 schools. Submitted most secondaries by 7/15.
Committee letter put up on AMCAS by 7/19.

3.6 cum/sci GPA
34O MCAT

I would have expected at least 1 II by now. Nothing. WTF?

Members don't see this ad.

Posting just to get my signature in to start the thread.

3.6/balanced 34O will do you just fine with good ECs. IIs may be a little bit later, especially if your committee letter wasn't submitted until the 19th of July, but they'll come.

Not many schools guarantee a quick turnaround. Pitt, Mayo, and UChicago seem to be those schools if you applied to any of them.

3.6/34O will do you just fine with good ECs. IIs may be a little bit later, especially if your committee letter wasn't submitted until the 19th of July, but they'll come.

I put it in just now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would relax a bit if I were in your situation and had your stats. I'm sure you'll get an interview somewhere.

I didn't get interviews till December, bulk of interview invites come out between October and January. There are a couple of schools that like doing things early, but most are still just getting ready for interview season.

I didn't get interviews till december, bulk of interview invites come out between october and jan. There are a couple of schools that like doing things early, but most are still just getting ready for interview season.

Alright, that makes me feel a little better. But then what is the point of applying so early? I mean, when they DO start going through apps, do they start with the ones that were submitted the earliest?

3.6/balanced 34O will do you just fine with good ECs. IIs may be a little bit later, especially if your committee letter wasn't submitted until the 19th of July, but they'll come.

Not many schools guarantee a quick turnaround. Pitt, Mayo, and UChicago seem to be those schools if you applied to any of them.

No, I didn't apply to any of those. But the school specific threads of some of the schools I have applied to have started giving out II's for people around my complete time, sometimes for apps with worse numbers than mine.

I put it in just now.

Already fixed my post while you replied, hence it's in your quote. ;)

I didn't get interviews till December, bulk of interview invites come out between October and January. There are a couple of schools that like doing things early, but most are still just getting ready for interview season.

This.

People getting IIs this early have absurdly high stats and amazing ECs. The rest of us will have to wait a bit. The only schools that are ahead of this curve are basically the schools I listed. The people getting IIs this early will typically be above accepted applicants' average stats as well as university ties.

No, I didn't apply to any of those. But the school specific threads of some of the schools I have applied to have started giving out II's for people around my complete time, sometimes for apps with worse numbers than mine.

N = 1 does nothing. Those applicants could have amazing ECs, URM status, EDP, university ties, etc. Hell, their dad could be the head of the AdCom for all you know. Sit back and relax, this is a long, long process.

Hang in there punkedoutriffs and don't panic! There will be plenty of time for that later. It sounds like you applied early and broadly, and I'm sure have done everything you can to make you stand out.

Remember that the wheels of the Adcoms turn slowly... but they grind exceedingly fine.

Already fixed my post while you replied, hence it's in your quote. ;)

This.

People getting IIs this early have absurdly high stats and amazing ECs. The rest of us will have to wait a bit. The only schools that are ahead of this curve are basically the schools I listed. The people getting IIs this early will typically be above accepted applicants' average stats as well as university ties.

N = 1 does nothing. Those applicants could have amazing ECs, URM status, EDP, university ties, etc. Hell, their dad could be the head of the AdCom for all you know. Sit back and relax, this is a long, long process.

Lol, you are right, of course. I wish that at this point, I could feel the same way I did in high school about college apps.

Mom: "How many schools did you apply to?"
Me: "I don't know, like 5 maybe, or 6."
Mom: "Which schools are those?"
Me: "Uh, [State School], and... I can't remember."
Mom: "What did you write for the essays?"
Me: "Who cares?"

Edit: Sorry, someone got a little carried away with the cynical side of my profile... haha.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hang in there punkedoutriffs and don't panic! There will be plenty of time for that later. It sounds like you applied early and broadly, and I'm sure have done everything you can to make you stand out.

Remember that the wheels of the Adcoms turn slowly... but they grind exceedingly fine.

If I could just... get into their minds... and see what's going on!

and then you get 10 interviews in one month and wish they would all just **** off

and then you get 10 interviews in one month and wish they would all just **** off

I would feel that way. I'd be the previously spurned ex-girlfriend whose guy is now banging on the door going, "I JUST WANT TO TALK," and I'll be like, "YOU HAD YOUR CHANCE!"

I'm anxious because I submitted all of my secondaries in July/early August but my committee letter took forever to be uploaded. It was finally received on AMCAS today and I am only complete at two schools so far (out of 20+). People who submitted their secondary apps after me are getting interviews. If only I had my committee letter sooner! I don't want to wait around, but I guess it's good because it will give me time to save money for traveling if I do get interviews.

It's almost the end of august and I still havent made my appointment for my committee letter interview yet.

Please someone comfort me and tell me it's not too late :(

Hey, if everyone else is panicking...

I'm retaking my MCAT September 1st and it's super late. I don't want to be a reapplicant. :(

It's almost the end of august and I still havent made my appointment for my committee letter interview yet.

Please someone comfort me and tell me it's not too late :(

I don't know. I know people who still haven't submitted their primary, so I guess it's better than their situation.

I don't know. I know people who still haven't submitted their primary, so I guess it's better than their situation.

Yeah, according to AMCAS only about 3/4 of expected applicants have even submitted their primaries as of today.

That makes me feel much better
SDN gets me so neurotic sometimes...

edit: actually 75% is a lot :/ ****

That makes me feel much better
SDN gets me so neurotic sometimes...

edit: actually 75% is a lot :/ ****

Yeah, but that's just "submitted," AMCAS is still lagging a month behind on verifying those who have submitted.

This was how I felt last year, and trust me, it will only make the whole cycle worse to obsess over every interview invite someone else on SDN gets. Just relax and try to understand that in a year, there is a strong possibility you will be starting medical school. While it sucks now, looking back, my application cycle was actually pretty exciting, so try to enjoy it. I got into several schools and didn't get an interview invite until October. Other people in my class didn't interview until February. It will be fine. Most schools haven't even started interviewing yet. The time to panic about not having any interviews in in March, not August.

Yeah, but that's just "submitted," AMCAS is still lagging a month behind on verifying those who have submitted.
As of today, "AMCAS is processing applications that reached "Ready for Review" status as of July 12, 2012." According to their twitter, they had 19,629 applications as of July 12, and 31,259 as of today. Therefore, some 12,000 of the 31,000 applicants have yet to be verified. Add in the 10,000 more expected to apply, and half of all applicants this cycle have not yet been verified.

To-date I have applied to 28 schools and all I have is one rejection.

Last edited:
Hang in there, OP. I have no doubts that you will get your share of II's.

On the bright side, be HAPPY that you have no rejections! I have a handful of 'em and each one is like a kick in the....:smuggrin:

Also, I'm pissed because I have a stalker/coworker who likes to read my posts and I don't wanna give up my account, but goddamn, could you give a girl some privacy?

Is your stalker on SDN?

Sent from my iPad using SDN Mobile app

I've only gotten rejections so far. :(

#panic

Also, I'm pissed because I have a stalker/coworker who likes to read my posts and I don't wanna give up my account, but goddamn, could you give a girl some privacy?

Donate and change your username or you could talk to her like a human being instead of being all passive-aggressive.

Yep but I don't know her username because I don't care. I don't see why she cares so much about my business.

Here's a photo of the infamous SDN stalker...

article-1252801-08603C4D000005DC-144_634x407.jpg

Donate and change your username or you could talk to her like a human being instead of being all passive-aggressive.

But passive aggression is my forte!

edit: and it's one of the things that makes us human beings!

Not in panic mode as of yet. Will definitely get there if I don't get another II before October though ~_~

i'm sure interviews are coming errbody. chillaxxxxxxxx

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEJsbsEhXMk[/YOUTUBE]

Here's some good 'ol Boondocks humor. NSFW btw. And don't start panicking like the cop :rolleyes:.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEJsbsEhXMk[/YOUTUBE]

Here's some good 'ol Boondocks humor. NSFW btw. And don't start panicking like the cop :rolleyes:.

Lol. For a couple cases of beer...:rolleyes:

I thought I was not susceptible to premed anxiety. Every new day without an II proves me wrong a little bit more.

I submitted primary on 6/2.
Verified by 6/5.
Applied to 30 schools. Submitted most secondaries by 7/15.
Committee letter put up on AMCAS by 7/19.

3.6 cum/sci GPA
34O MCAT

I would have expected at least 1 II by now. Nothing. WTF?

Dang 3.6/34 and no interviews? We're all doomed.

Eh it doesn't really matter that much. People act as if crappy applications submitted the first day of the cycle will somehow have an advantage. :confused: I know several high-caliber pre-meds who haven't submitted yet (3.9+, 38+, pubs).

Us crappy applications will have an advantage applying early. 3.00s/3.14c/33Q submitted on the first day and I have ii at drexel and boston. Obviously that doesn't mean acceptance, but it's the first step.

I wouldn't say that I'm panicked, but I'm starting to get very anxious that I've only received one II so far. I've been complete at 12 schools for over a month now and not heard anything.

I wouldn't say that I'm panicked, but I'm starting to get very anxious that I've only received one II so far. I've been complete at 12 schools for over a month now and not heard anything.

I am also getting anxious mostly because of the mystery of this whole process...some schools are slow so it could be that they simply haven't read our application yet. Other schools might have read it and moved on without letting us know. Or they read it and put us off for later perhaps after all candidates have applied. I personally am forcing myself to not freak out until it has at least been one or two months since I have been complete with no news. After that, I am checking out the trend for other candidates for their completion to interview turnaround time and deciding whether to send updates/interest letters based on recommendations on the threads/asking adcom office.

Since you had that second MCAT in later, and since a LOT more applicants have applied around that time and you are in the complete date range with that application BOOM crowd...I'm thinking your app just hasn't been read yet. So hold on and stay positive! Best of luck :) :xf:

you applied to a relatively "small" amount of schools. with your mcat i'm sure the rest are coming.

I am also getting anxious mostly because of the mystery of this whole process...some schools are slow so it could be that they simply haven't read our application yet. Other schools might have read it and moved on without letting us know. Or they read it and put us off for later perhaps after all candidates have applied. I personally am forcing myself to not freak out until it has at least been one or two months since I have been complete with no news. After that, I am checking out the trend for other candidates for their completion to interview turnaround time and deciding whether to send updates/interest letters based on recommendations on the threads/asking adcom office.

Since you had that second MCAT in later, and since a LOT more applicants have applied around that time and you are in the complete date range with that application BOOM crowd...I'm thinking your app just hasn't been read yet. So hold on and stay positive! Best of luck :) :xf:

Thanks for the encouragement, good luck to you as well!

you applied to a relatively "small" amount of schools. with your mcat i'm sure the rest are coming.

Do you think that I applied to too few schools? The truth is that these are the only schools I really have much interest in, so as long as I get into one of them, I'm good.

Thanks for the encouragement, good luck to you as well!

Do you think that I applied to too few schools? The truth is that these are the only schools I really have much interest in, so as long as I get into one of them, I'm good.

I'm surprised the University of Illinois made it to your list. The cost of attendance for OOS is around $90,000 a year.