Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

2012-2013 Pre-Interview Thread

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by purple rain, 09.04.12.

1. splik

splik

Resident [Any Field]
    Physician SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    ha! meant the one in boston! btw just because you may be from a less well regarded med school doesn't mean you shouldn't have standards! there are some programs that everyone should avoid like the plague!
  2. lainapox

lainapox A little crazypants

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Hello everyone! I haven't been on SDN in years, but it helped me a huge amount for medschool interviews so I am hoping it will do the same this time around (prior to going on SDN, I didn't know I was supposed to suit up for interviews)!

How many programs should I apply to? I am in a top-30 US school, a little above average-for-psych step 1, average rank. My department chair/residency advisor said I didn't need to apply to more than 15 programs, but I am a little hesitant to apply to that few! This is especially the case because I think ze kind of wants me to stay at my home program, but I admit I *might* be a little paranoid re: this concern. Also, most of the programs I want to go to are what I'd consider to be "reach" programs for me.

My list so far (will add names once interviews come up):
    California - 5
    Boston - 3
    New York - 5
    Northwest - 2
    Assorted Northeast - 6
    Texas - 2

Also: which programs are heaviest on psychotherapy?

Thanks everyone <3

(edited for gender-neutral pronouns)
    Last edited: 09.17.12
  3. twright

twright

Attending Physician
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    It may be difficult for SDN'ers to give you a decent assessment without additional information about your application, but given that you are trying to mask the gender of your department chair I assume that further information and potential exposure to deidentification is out of the question.

If by "Northwest" you mean OHSU and UW, then I assume that the Boston programs are MGH, Cambridge, and Longwood and that the other programs in California, New York, etc are similarly tiered (e.g., NYU, Columbia, Cornell, MSSM). Not knowing anything more about your letters and/or whether your overall application is interesting or not, I would say MGH, UCSF, Columbia, possibly Cambridge are a reach with regards to matching and a toss-up with regards to getting an interview; and that the other programs are within reach with regards to either. But don't let any uninformed guesses on SDN dissuade you from reaching for what you want.

Also: if your department chair likes you and wants you to stay, that is one thing; if ze is willing to sabotage your interests by giving you poor career advice, that is another thing.
  4. Doctor Bagel

Doctor Bagel so cheap and juicy Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    Your chair is right that you don't need to apply to more than 15 programs. I'd say you'd be fine with 10 unless there's something you're not sharing. With your background, very few programs are going to be a "reach" for you.
  5. BobA

BobA Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    15 programs would be plenty. try googling Charting outcomes from the match from NRMP.
  6. lainapox

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Thank you, everyone! I am reassured.
  7. Dr. Toaster

Dr. Toaster There and back again Gold Donor

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Totally off-topic, but I'm enjoying your cupcake avatar.
  8. Illinoisgrad

Illinoisgrad

Ditto. It's actually making me want some cupcakes though, which I don't need :(
  9. Dr. Toaster

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Everyone needs cupcakes, all the time, always. :D
  10. member2721

member2721

Medical Student
  11. Dr. Toaster

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Thanks!
  12. Daedra22

Daedra22 ~Harm None~

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I really appreciate that they included data on whether specialties consider osteopathic grads and the COMLEX this year. Very cool.
  13. digitlnoize

digitlnoize Rock God

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Totally cool! Thanks for the info. Looks like pretty much every psych program takes COMLEX 1. Awesome.
  14. splik

splik

Resident [Any Field]
  15. Doctor Bagel

Doctor Bagel so cheap and juicy Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    That's a fascinating document. Admittedly I only skimmed the parts about other specialties, but it seems like psychiatry for example places more emphasis on things like not having a gap year. Are we screening for mental illness? Or do we just get more applicants with gap years because we're less selective? Obviously we have more IMGs based on all the consideration of language factors. I wonder if the MSPE will increase in importance now that it is being released earlier.

One little update on my program. Apparently we now will have free food outside of call again. It seems a little too good to be true, but I'm not complaining. I got free food as a medical student, though, so I'm spoiled. Our meal tickets do count toward our farmer's market, which is pretty cool. I had a spinach tamale and ice cream all for free today.
  16. Dr. Toaster

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    You make a compelling case, Dr. Bagel. I wish is wasn't so expensive to fly over to the other side.
  17. lainapox

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I agree, completely.

Also, a question to those of you who have gotten interviews (or to interview/admissions committee members):

-- Do applicants typically get evaluated before all letters of recommendation are submitted?
    So far 2 of my 5 letter-writers have not submitted their LORs, and as a result my LOR quota is not met at all the programs I applied to (I have designated the letters, they just aren't "uploaded to the post office" because they haven't been submitted by the attendings)

Thanks dudes <3
  18. twright

twright

Attending Physician
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Depends on the program, but yes many programs will issue interview invitations before your entire package (ie, LORs, deans letter, USMLE) is complete. In our experience all components of the application are generally consistent with each other. Sometimes you do get surprises (eg, once we gave an interview to someone whose application seemed pretty golden. Then his lettes ccame in, and they were surprisingly... bad. And he turned out to be a total DB.) Other times the initial material just isn't that compelling, so we sit on the application untio we get more information (either positive or negative).
  19. VMSmith

VMSmith

Attending Physician
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I think a gap year with no explanation is a red flag. On the other hand, a gap year can be a big asset depending on what you do with it.
  20. Quantico

Quantico

Medical Student
    So... it's now been about 3 weeks since ERAS opened. I applied to 20 programs, but I've only gotten 1 interview invitation so far. Unfortunately, I'm not a very competitive candidate. Grades and Step scores have not been impressive to say the least (though did much better on Step 2 than Step 1).

I was wondering, mid-freakout, should I send in more applications at this point? Or just keep waiting and be patient?
  21. happyoolongtea

happyoolongtea

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I think it's hard to say at this point because the timeline is a bit different from last year. might as well apply to a few programs while it's still early, but who knows when they'll get to your application. I've gotten a few IVs but it seems like slots have filled up at several places because only 2 or so dates are available. perhaps in a week or two, as people cancel, a second wave of IVs will be handed out?
  22. Dr. Toaster

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I'm too lazy to look at your past posts 'cause the consult service I'm on is pretty busy right now (but mostly it is just laziness), so...

Where did you apply particularly? Any major red flags, or just a sort of generally less competitive app? Which med school are you at?

Edit: I see this is your first post. /facepalm at myself
    Last edited: 10.05.12
  23. shan564

shan564 Below the fray

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    What's the downside to applying to more programs? It's just an application fee, right? That money probably pales in comparison to what you spent for med school. I think you're better off spending the money now than to risk regretting it for the rest of your life.
  24. Quantico

Quantico

Medical Student
    I go to med school in the south (I guess you could call it mid-tier?), and almost all my applications are in New England: pretty much every school in Connecticut and Massachusetts, with the rest being in New York (schools like Albert Einstein, Mount Sinai rather than say, Columbia, Cornell). No red flags in my application luckily (no failing grades, no education gaps, etc.).

Thanks for the replies already. I'll prob send in a few more apps this weekend.

And make that 2 interview invites so far. (Woo hoo!)
  25. OldPsychDoc

OldPsychDoc Senior Curmudgeon Moderator Emeritus SDN Advisor

Attending Physician
    Physician SDN 7+ Year Member
    I'll say this much: we've been flooded--well over 700 apps.
    Sifting through these, wanting to give everyone a fair shot, trying to decide when to extend the benefit of doubt...it's pretty exhausting. (Yes it's 6 pm on Friday, and that IS what I'm at the office doing...)
    I wouldn't be surprised that many programs are a bit slower at extending interviews than you all would wish.
  26. BS81

BS81

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Would my application not be reviewed by some places until it is complete? I am missing my third LOR and am wondering if that is holding me back or if my application has been reviewed and just set aside
  27. splik

splik

Resident [Any Field]
    yes you need a complete application before many places will even look at your application
  28. twright

twright

Attending Physician
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Depends on the program. At many, if not most, programs the PD does the initial screening and issues interview invitations on the basis of the initial screening alone, and at many programs the initial interview invitation can be issued on the basis of the CV alone (which was my own experience). Full review of your application typically does not occur until after your interview.

Sent from my MB612 using Tapatalk
  29. Psychlover2013

Psychlover2013

Medical Student
    I am actually stressed out because I have not gotten any interviews since my application became complete this week. My 4th LOR (2nd Psych LOR), CK score was uploaded, and MSPE came out and no interviews this week. I can't help but wonder if dropping one point on CK has something to do with this. This is the most stressful thing ever.
  30. st2205

st2205

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Woah, the first thing is that dropping 1 point on USMLE shows consistency.
  31. kassy

kassy

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Have the places you applied to have been offering interviews yet?
  32. lethe5

lethe5

Medical Student
    Oh man, I feel you on this one. I'm stressed out because I don't have any interviews as well. Although I have yet to take the CK, and I don't have step scores, only comlex scores that are just below average. All of the psych residents I meet say "well the important thing is that you passed your boards on the first try and you genuinely want to go into psych." I'm still hoping this to be true so that I don't have to have a cerebral hemorrhage here soon from anxiety. I was paranoid and just had someone read over my application one more time in case I made a typo and said 'I like to have sex with marsupials' or something horrendous. Which by the way, I don't like to, and I didn't have in my application.
  33. LadyJane

LadyJane

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm not sure if this question belongs here but...

I'm a DO applying both MD and DO. This question is about Nassau in New York. I applied to it on the DO side already. When you look at it from the MD program search, you can apply just "categorical" or an MD/DO combined thing.

For the purposes of my ROL, if I end up only ranking MD programs (which I hope to get enough interviews to do), should I apply to it as categorical only? Or apply to the combined MD/DO option under the MD program list?

Does that make sense?

Thanks!
  34. Psychlover2013

Psychlover2013

Medical Student
  35. Psychlover2013

Psychlover2013

Medical Student
    Maybe the programs are looking for improvement considering you have one more year to build upon what you have learned for Step I. Who knows I am just nervous.

Well I would say about 75% have started offering interviews based on the interview offer thread we have on SDN. I am an USIMG, I am wondering if we are offered interviews after USMGs and DOs. Like I mentioned before, my application just became complete around Oct 1st when my 2nd Psych LOR (4 total), and CK score became available on ERAS.

I thought most DOs don't even have to worry about the USMLEs. I think it is too early for some regions. I don't know how many programs you have applied to but I have applied to >70 and in 30 different states. Most DOs I know haven't applied this broadly. From my research, as a DO, I think you are in a better position than me (USIMG). Good luck with the whole process!
  36. st2205

st2205

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    MMIs?
  37. Dr. Toaster

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Like 10 mini interview things... I have heard it described as speed dating. Lol. I have no real clue.
  38. shan564

shan564 Below the fray

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    My med school does MMIs. It may seem a bit intimidating, but I think it does do a good job of weeding out the people who try to rehearse answers but can't actually think on their feet.
  39. lethe5

lethe5

Medical Student
    So I've applied MD and still haven't heard anything. Is it too late to apply to DO psych residencies?
  40. kassy

kassy

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    No, it is not too late, but you are cutting it close.
    Actually, a couple DO places just started giving out interviews last week,
    but some of them have already started interviews.

UMDNJ-Stratford only has two interview dates. One in Oct and one in Nov.

Of all the application deadlines I can think of, Nov 1st seems to be the earliest one, so as long as you get them out by then, you should have a decent chance. Also, go to the ADTS and make sure programs are dling your app. A couple of programs couldnt see my app on their side, so I had to call eras to get that fixed.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal