2012-2013 Saint Louis University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) Will you be a full-time student for the 2012-2013 academic year? If no, please describe your current activities... (max 10,000 characters)

2) Do you wish to include any comments, other than your AMCAS personal statement, to the Admissions Committee?

3) Were you ever the recipient of any action (e.g. dismissal, disqualification, suspension, etc.) by any college for unacceptable academic performance or conduct violations? If yes, please explain fully... (max 10,000 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
First.... Good luck all.... Top choice school here and I have lots of family in good old STL...

is it your first choice because it's in STL? i don't know a lot about the school but am interested in what you have to say about it.

p.s. sorry to your family members about pujols.

is it your first choice because it's in STL? i don't know a lot about the school but am interested in what you have to say about it.

p.s. sorry to your family members about pujols.

Pujols who?....haha. One of the number one reason is yes because it is in STL. I have a huge support network there and to have that going through medical school would be great. Also I like the midwest climate, in J-ville not to much snow and in the summer it is hot and it rains all the time. I enjoy running and swimming so when it cools down in STL I can still run and when it warms up I still get summer. Outside of that I really don't know to much about the med school....

Maybe a nice med student could fill us in...:confused:

Pujols who?....haha. One of the number one reason is yes because it is in STL. I have a huge support network there and to have that going through medical school would be great. Also I like the midwest climate, in J-ville not to much snow and in the summer it is hot and it rains all the time. I enjoy running and swimming so when it cools down in STL I can still run and when it warms up I still get summer. Outside of that I really don't know to much about the med school....

Maybe a nice med student could fill us in...:confused:

How's the city of St. Louis like?

How's the city of St. Louis like?

It is like most midwest cities. Good Population, lots of things to do but outside of that I don't know to much I may have been to this city a grand total of 15 or 16 times and never had a chance to explore it. Currently I live in J-ville but STL is a beautiful city.

Also submitted 6/6! St. Louis's city museum ROCKS! Imagine a massive, ridiculous, very unsanitary, very unsafe, but still very cool playground for adults :)

Sounds interesting... This museum wouldn't happen to be in Forest park would it?

Nope, City Museum is downtown, but Forest Park is great! There's a zoo, a science museum, an art museum, a history museum, a pond for paddle boating, and lots of running and biking trails. I spent 4 years in STL during college...glad to be spending a gap year here, too. :)

Nope, City Museum is downtown, but Forest Park is great! There's a zoo, a science museum, an art museum, a history museum, a pond for paddle boating, and lots of running and biking trails. I spent 4 years in STL during college...glad to be spending a gap year here, too. :)

Speaking of Forest park don't forget the muny, an awesome out door theater.

That sounds like a lot of fun; I love museums and outdoor activities.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard St Louis is one of the most dangerous city.
Personally, knowing that fact makes the city just a bit more interesting.

It's not gonna be that bad, just don't plan on walking around at night.

I heard St Louis is one of the most dangerous city.
Personally, knowing that fact makes the city just a bit more interesting.

It's not gonna be that bad, just don't plan on walking around at night.

Ummm no.... STL is a great town

Have you ever even been there? (too poster saying its dangerous)

Have you ever even been there? (too poster saying its dangerous)

I've lived in St. Louis for most of my life, it isn't dangerous. I mean, yeah, if you go into East St. Louis, probably not the best idea in the world (but you would never ever need to go near it, I have yet to even be in it and I've lived here 21 years)

I've lived in St. Louis for most of my life, it isn't dangerous. I mean, yeah, if you go into East St. Louis, probably not the best idea in the world (but you would never ever need to go near it, I have yet to even be in it and I've lived here 21 years)

Even East st Louis isn't dangerous but there just isn't much of a reason to go over there. There is just nothing to do there. Also East STL is across the state line so it is actually Illinois ( just FYI for those that didn't know)

This is where I read it. [Link]
I admit that the data I read may be misrepresentation of the reality (I guess the report added statistics from more dangerous parts of the city with the rest).

This is where I read it. [Link]
I admit that the data I read may be misrepresentation of the reality (I guess the report added statistics from more dangerous parts of the city with the rest).

If you want danger... Try Hopkins... STL is a super safe city just don't be stupid and you'll be just fine:D

Hey guys... I've been at SLU SOM for two years; so, I thought I'd add in my two cents. First of all, Saint Louis is no where near as dangerous as people try to make it sound. I'm super skittish at night in general, and I have no reservations about walking around at night with a couple friends. Really, just don't be stupid (walk around by yourself drunk while flashing money, etc... other than that, it's random crime that you're going to get in any city), and stay away from North City, North County, and East Saint Louis (which is an entirely separate city in a separate state across the river). Also, the student above who mentioned "unsafe" was referring to the City Museum, not the city of STL. The City Museum is AWESOME, but yes, I'm sure people get hurt there... the place is a giant adult jungle gym (we had our med school prom there my first year).

For the person asking why the med school and city are great, there are many, many reasons. I have loved every minute of my time at SLU so far, and I couldn't imagine being happier any where else (and I'm from California... you won't hear many from Cali who are happy to be out of the state). The professors and administration are awesome and genuinely care about students. They always want student input on classes (the change to pass-fail a few years back was completely student-driven), they will work with any student who is struggling, and their office doors are always open. The feel of the school is really different than you're going to get other places. There's a sense of community among students. There isn't any one in my class I wouldn't feel comfortable sitting down and chatting with. Since we're on pass-fail, people aren't cut-throat (in fact, people would stay hours after their anatomy dissections to help others, and we get bombarded by e-mails from people sharing websites they found, charts they made, etc.). The campus is pretty (especially in spring... they plant new flowers like once a month), and they're constantly expanding/renovating the med school buildings. As for the city, there's a ton to do (a lot of it free), and there's something for everyone. Anyway, sorry for the long message. If anyone has questions, feel free to PM me.

Hey guys... I've been at SLU SOM for two years; so, I thought I'd add in my two cents. First of all, Saint Louis is no where near as dangerous as people try to make it sound. I'm super skittish at night in general, and I have no reservations about walking around at night with a couple friends. Really, just don't be stupid (walk around by yourself drunk while flashing money, etc... other than that, it's random crime that you're going to get in any city), and stay away from North City, North County, and East Saint Louis (which is an entirely separate city in a separate state across the river). Also, the student above who mentioned "unsafe" was referring to the City Museum, not the city of STL. The City Museum is AWESOME, but yes, I'm sure people get hurt there... the place is a giant adult jungle gym (we had our med school prom there my first year).

For the person asking why the med school and city are great, there are many, many reasons. I have loved every minute of my time at SLU so far, and I couldn't imagine being happier any where else (and I'm from California... you won't hear many from Cali who are happy to be out of the state). The professors and administration are awesome and genuinely care about students. They always want student input on classes (the change to pass-fail a few years back was completely student-driven), they will work with any student who is struggling, and their office doors are always open. The feel of the school is really different than you're going to get other places. There's a sense of community among students. There isn't any one in my class I wouldn't feel comfortable sitting down and chatting with. Since we're on pass-fail, people aren't cut-throat (in fact, people would stay hours after their anatomy dissections to help others, and we get bombarded by e-mails from people sharing websites they found, charts they made, etc.). The campus is pretty (especially in spring... they plant new flowers like once a month), and they're constantly expanding/renovating the med school buildings. As for the city, there's a ton to do (a lot of it free), and there's something for everyone. Anyway, sorry for the long message. If anyone has questions, feel free to PM me.

Awesome thanks for this

Is everyone just submitting their committee letter here? Would it be a bad move to include additional letters as well?

Very excited to apply here!

Is everyone just submitting their committee letter here? Would it be a bad move to include additional letters as well?

Very excited to apply here!

committee letter + 3 extra letters.

So, in your opinions, how optional is the "Do you wish to include any comments, other than your AMCAS personal statement, to the Admissions Committee" question?

So, in your opinions, how optional is the "Do you wish to include any comments, other than your AMCAS personal statement, to the Admissions Committee" question?

I read in last year's thread that some people answered the question as "Why SLU?"

I think I'll probably do the same...

just got the secondary email!

Same. I've got everything pre-written, but I'm confused by this "Upload Files" tab.

What are we supposed to upload in the "Upload Files" thing?

Same. I've got everything pre-written, but I'm confused by this "Upload Files" tab.

I don't know. That confused me as well. I went ahead and submitted mine without optional comments... hope that doesn't count against me :(

I don't know. That confused me as well. I went ahead and submitted mine without optional comments... hope that doesn't count against me :(

Why not spend a few hours adding the comments? Oh well. I hope it doesn't hurt you so long as you aren't taking my spot :)

Did you just take a picture of yourself? I need to take a new picture and upload it, but my girlfriend has my camera and won't be back for a week.

You upload nothing now...

Later in the cycle if you want to update with letters of interest, transcripts, etc. You do it via that option, I believe.

You upload nothing now...

Later in the cycle if you want to update with letters of interest, transcripts, etc. You do it via that option, I believe.

Makes sense. Thank you!

did y'all write anything in the additional comments part? is that a place for why SLU or why st Louis? or is it more for explaining inconsistent grades or academics like that?

did y'all write anything in the additional comments part? is that a place for why SLU or why st Louis? or is it more for explaining inconsistent grades or academics like that?

It's for whatever you want them to know. I wrote about a bunch of stuff that pertained to why SLU.

Okay, for a little bit of contrast. I spent 8 years in St. Louis.

St. Louis is an extremely neighborhood oriented city from a crime perspective. To say it is 'super' safe is either ignorance or deceit. I was on the Wash U. and the SLU police incident mailing lists. Muggings, car breaking-ins etc are far from common place, but do happen on both campuses. We had students moving out of the tower grove area because of crime and I have heard gun shots multiple times minding my own business in areas where students frequent (Loop, CWE etc.) Personally, I have never feared for my life. I think that if you keep busy and in the standard student locations, you have no more to fear than most big cities. However, realize that St. Louis is a smaller city than most and the 'dangerous' neighborhoods tend to only be a couple of blocks from the 'good' ones. I'm not trying to scare people away from St. Louis. But be realistic. It isn't Baghdad, but to say, "Its a super safe city" is just plain wrong.

SLU is not pass/fail. You have grades (even in the first two years), you just aren't told them. They are recorded and they are used for ranking people. In my opinion, it is a dishonest system. It pretends to be something by calling itself "pass/fail", but its purely a part of the 'wellness' campaign and has no bearing on how you are actually evaluated. Given that your pre-clinical grades mean nothing anyways, it doesn't actually hurt anyone, but realize that SLU is NOT a true pass/fail school.

I don't know what class you are in, but I do know that the first class that was pass/fail (2013) is one of the most gunnertastic in recent memory. Many students feel that it is a result of the pseudo pass/fail system. The administration feels otherwise and has no plans to change it.

Last edited:
Hey guys, when you indicate on the application that you won't be continuing as a full-time student, you are asked to list what you will be doing this year. They give you 10000 characters, I only have a volunteering position and a part-time job at the moment, which surely won't require 10k characters lol. Would it look bad if I just described my plans in a few sentences? Thanks!

Hey guys, when you indicate on the application that you won't be continuing as a full-time student, you are asked to list what you will be doing this year. They give you 10000 characters, I only have a volunteering position and a part-time job at the moment, which surely won't require 10k characters lol. Would it look bad if I just described my plans in a few sentences? Thanks!

Maybe do a paragraph or so for each one? Just go into detail about what exactly you're doing and be sure to explain what you're getting out of it or why it's relevant to eventually going to medical school.

I just wrote 3-5 sentances

To clarify, yes, Saint Louis has rough areas (hence my caveat about North City, North County, etc.) like any other big city. And yes, it changes within blocks... you just have to be smart about where you go.

As far as the pass/fail goes, you are still TECHNICALLY ranked the first two years, but honestly, the only reason that matters for anything is if you're shooting for AOA (and that's not purely grade based... it's based on leadership, your relationship with the administration, and grades... and clinical grades are weighted to count as 2/3 of that). Your rank in the class is never released to residency directors or anyone else. It is a 100% internal ranking system. The class of 2013 was not purely pass-fail (they were the first class without "grades" and they were working out kinks)... they were on a pass-fail curve where a few people would still fail each class just based on the nature of the system. The class of 2014 (my class) and on were switched over to straight pass-fail where, theoretically, the entire class can pass every class since professors set a minimum point/percentage level that's considered passing. You're never going to completely get rid of gunners in any med school and administration says classes kind of cycle (supposedly every other class is more laid-back), but given that, my class works pretty well together and the atmosphere is fantastic.

I hope you guys keep that up into 3rd year. My class (2012) was very much like how you describe yours. I've heard some horror stories about some groups in the 2013 class. Undercutting, rounding on other people's patients, stuff I couldn't imagine someone actually doing. Btw, when you get to St. Mary's for OB/Gyn 3rd year, if you see the fill in the blank rounding sheets that medical students use, I made those XD. Apparently they became pretty popular by people in my class and the class of 2013.

I wrote about 500 words.

Submitted this morning. Let the waiting begin!

Why not spend a few hours adding the comments? Oh well. I hope it doesn't hurt you so long as you aren't taking my spot :)

Thanks. SLU is more of a back up school for me so I'm not putting as much time/effort into it as my first choices. I would be more than happy going to one of my state schools and I know I have the best shot there anyway.. I just applied to a few others just in case. I'm not too worried about it I guess.

Just a heads up to all, don't certify the app before adding your photo. Unlike other schools you can't go back and add it after. Lesson learned... I'll have to call them tomorrow :smack:

Status
Not open for further replies.