* * 2012-2013 Secondary Applications Thread!! * *

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey I have a question to add to this, how long has it been taking for you guys to receive your secondaries?

Members don't see this ad.

I have 14/19 of my secondaries.

I'm about the same...seems like every school has sent something out except pnwu...

Let's go schools!! Secondaries are so last week...let's get some interviews lined up ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
No I mean how long did it take after you sent in your primary to receive your secondary apps? I just sent mine in last week, that's why I ask.

can someone help me with improving the wording of this sentence: "I scored in the top twenty percentile on the MCAT" I promise I am not trying to brag here but just need some feedback. My score is a 32 which is in a 83.8 - 87.7 percentile range. I just think that this is an awkward sentence to read : "My MCAT score is in the 83.8 - 87.7 percentile range" and perhaps doesn't sound as impressive as top twenty percentile...idk. Does "..top twentieth percentile..." sound better?

No I mean how long did it take after you sent in your primary to receive your secondary apps? I just sent mine in last week, that's why I ask.

2-3 weeks to get verified + up to a week to get released, then within days you'll get some secondaries from schools that don't green.

I just submitted AACOMAS and it will probably be a couple of weeks before I am verified/released. All of my letter writers have turned their LoR's in to my undergrad's LoR service (they submit them via Virtual Evals.) I have heard it can to my undergrads LoR service a long time to get them sent out. Is it ok if I have them send the LoR's now, or do I need to wait until I start getting secondaries?

I just submitted AACOMAS and it will probably be a couple of weeks before I am verified/released. All of my letter writers have turned their LoR's in to my undergrad's LoR service (they submit them via Virtual Evals.) I have heard it can to my undergrads LoR service a long time to get them sent out. Is it ok if I have them send the LoR's now, or do I need to wait until I start getting secondaries?

Bump

My advisor sent out all my LOR's in May or possibly the first week of June. All I know it was before I had even submitted aacomas. Every school has had my letters with no problems except one random school that apparently never got them. I used VirtualEvals also. I say go for it

Hi,
I have submitted my primary application and it was finally sent to schools this week..

Do I need to hear from the schools I have applied to in order to fill in the secondary application?

Thanks.

Hi,
I have submitted my primary application and it was finally sent to schools this week..

Do I need to hear from the schools I have applied to in order to fill in the secondary application?

Thanks.

Yes. But is it certainly doesn't hurt to research some of the essay questions on the secondaries for the schools you applied to and prewrite them so you can turn them around quickly.

Hey so I applied to 19 DO schools and am still missing like 5 or 6 secondaries. I've gotten about 13 so far. Is this regular or should I have all my secondary invites by now. I sent in my aacomas application early june. Thanks in advance for your input!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey so I applied to 19 DO schools and am still missing like 5 or 6 secondaries. I've gotten about 13 so far. Is this regular or should I have all my secondary invites by now. I sent in my aacomas application early june. Thanks in advance for your input!

I got some way later than others so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I went out in the first batch and still haven't received Touro-NY.

Off the top of my head touroNY and UNECOM were late for me to receive

I have been staring at these questions for about half a month already. I feel as if my ECs are just sub-par. I don't have any real volunteer work, and I guess I just experience the world differently than an osteopath. Also the competition to get into a DO seems just as hard as MD, but the criteria of evaluation is focused on ECs. My circumstances just don't make volunteering easy, and it's not like I am doing DO because it's easier. Maybe I should apply again next year after figuring something out?

I have been staring at these questions for about half a month already. I feel as if my ECs are just sub-par. I don't have any real volunteer work, and I guess I just experience the world differently than an osteopath. Also the competition to get into a DO seems just as hard as MD, but the criteria of evaluation is focused on ECs. My circumstances just don't make volunteering easy, and it's not like I am doing DO because it's easier. Maybe I should apply again next year after figuring something out?

you seem very misinformed. DO schools focus on MCAT/GPA just as much as they do on ECs.

you seem very misinformed. DO schools focus on MCAT/GPA just as much as they do on ECs.

I would not be discouraged by ECs. If your GPA/MCAT is decent, you should be fine. I don't have insight into how ECs are evaluated but I think it subjective. GPA/MCAT over-ride EC - unless you have good research with published papers that will become conversation during interview... other than volunteering for 1000 hrs... what does this mean... most of the volunteer work require minimal effort... I think it is filler for your CV....

Go for it this year... if you get interview, be prepared...

Good luck!

I have a quick question about secondaries that are given as Word attachments. Are we supposed to fill those out by hand and then scan them and email them? or are we supposed to fill them out and fix the formatting by hand so that all of the underlines and such are formatted correctly? I have been slacking on the secondaries since I have been waiting for a letter of Rec.

For rolling schools (like Columbia, Harvard, Penn, Cornell, Yale, Duke), does it matter when you submit your secondary at all? Don't they offer interviews only after all applications are in at the secondary deadline in November? I'm confused, what's the hype behind applying as early as possible for these places? Thanks

Hello SDN community!
Well I think I received some bad advice from my premed advisor. He told me to wait until I received my 2nd attempt MCAT scores before I applied. I didnt submit my AACOMAS app until August 24th. Just worried that my app is too late and I will be interviewing for a waitlist spot.
let me know your opinion.
Stats:
3.69 sgpa
3.7 cummulative gpa
27M MCAT
Good EC's
5 yrs of research with 1 Publication
letter from MD not DO

Both secondaries ask to "List any relative who is an osteopathic physician:" The physician's name, relationship, osteopathic college attended and year graduated is required. What happens in the case that I don't have any direct relatives that are osteopathic physicians? Do I leave it blank? I have a relative that is currently in an osteopathic program but they are asking for graduates, so I don't think my listing him would be appropriate. Can anyone offer any guidance?

Both secondaries ask to "List any relative who is an osteopathic physician:" The physician's name, relationship, osteopathic college attended and year graduated is required. What happens in the case that I don't have any direct relatives that are osteopathic physicians? Do I leave it blank? I have a relative that is currently in an osteopathic program but they are asking for graduates, so I don't think my listing him would be appropriate. Can anyone offer any guidance?

Umm my guess is if you don't have a relative who's currently an osteopathic physician you either leave it blank or write "N/A"

It says briefly describe, as in a few sentences. Just summarize what it was, what you did, how long you did it for and what you learned from it.
This is going to sound kind of dumb, but they're just asking for "volunteer" experiences, correct? In other words, would shadowing count? I'm not sure where in the secondary app I would list my shadowing experiences.

This is going to sound kind of dumb, but they're just asking for "volunteer" experiences, correct? In other words, would shadowing count? I'm not sure where in the secondary app I would list my shadowing experiences.
You might find better answers in a thread thats not from 2012.

Reactions: 1 user