2012-2013 Stony Brook Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
II!!!! I was bummed cuz I was just rejected to BU. but HOORAY!

Members don't see this ad.

im OOS and Stony Brook is my top choice as well!

stats: sGPA 3.33, cGPA 3.54, AO-GPA3.88, MCAT 31R

Toby13, thanks for the info...did you get an interview invite? I have sorta similar stats.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't see that Toby13 had already said he got invited to interview. Nevermind! Congrats!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you dont mind me asking, what are your stats? Also when did you submit your secondary to BU and Stony?

THANKS!

BU: 7/5 (i was waiting FOREVER. at least they finally rejected me)

Stony: 7/8

stats in MDApps :)

Interview Invite! (the invite was on Friday)

Instate, 3.8+ 34R.

Just got the complete email... Jeese that took a while. Anyone know how long it takes to hear from them after you're complete?

If I'm flying out of JFK, what's the earliest flight out I can book? The email says the interview should end by 2:30...right now I'm eyeing a 6pm flight. I should have enough time right?

6 pm means you need to be at the airport by 4:30. Its about an hour and fifteen minute drive from stony to JFK so you should be fine.

6 pm means you need to be at the airport by 4:30. Its about an hour and fifteen minute drive from stony to JFK so you should be fine.

cool. sounds great. no fears of crazy traffic on the drive out right? I fear CA-like freeway congestion :eek:

cool. sounds great. no fears of crazy traffic on the drive out right? I fear CA-like freeway congestion :eek:

I think that's cutting it pretty close. The cross-island expressway can be a mess, and you never know how bad traffic is going to be. Stony Brook is a long distance away from JFK. I would definitely consider giving yourself some more time.

I've had all my stuff in for about a month and still have been given no indication of being complete? Has it taken this long for other people as well?

I think that's cutting it pretty close. The cross-island expressway can be a mess, and you never know how bad traffic is going to be. Stony Brook is a long distance away from JFK. I would definitely consider giving yourself some more time.

hmmm yah i don't want to be stressed out going home. 8pm flight it is!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've had all my stuff in for about a month and still have been given no indication of being complete? Has it taken this long for other people as well?
It took me about a month for my application to be complete and I was one of the first to submit it. I would not worry about it unless you still do not get the complete email in the next few weeks. The good thing is that once you are complete, they are really quick at reviewing your application.

Yeah, I think it took me like a month or two for completion after submitting the secondary.

has anyone interviewing gotten a confirmation about a student host to stay with?

has anyone interviewing gotten a confirmation about a student host to stay with?

nope, not yet. Although my interview isn't until the end of the month...will probably wait until the middle of next week to call/email.

When's your interview?

nope, not yet. Although my interview isn't until the end of the month...will probably wait until the middle of next week to call/email.

When's your interview?

I'm at the end of the month too (sept 28th). I'll probably wait to do the same. Worried that the Holiday Inn nearby will either get all booked up or prices will go up...hopefully they can get us student hosts though!

I'm at the end of the month too (sept 28th). I'll probably wait to do the same. Worried that the Holiday Inn nearby will either get all booked up or prices will go up...hopefully they can get us student hosts though!

oh nice me too! :) Yeahhh I'm hoping because I was invited/requested a host weeks ago it should be okay..worst case..wanna split a hotel if things don't work out? haha

oh nice me too! :) Yeahhh I'm hoping because I was invited/requested a host weeks ago it should be okay..worst case..wanna split a hotel if things don't work out? haha

haha im in!

Invited to an interview today!

Out of state resident 3.71 and 38. Submitted secondary on 8/6

Interview Invite! Out of state. Scheduled for 10/23! :)

... still haven't gotten any complete message. submitted around 8/30.

II today...In-State and was complete July 26th, so hang in there ppl

anyone interviewing next week get their email confirmation about interview times and stuff? I'm going to be there 9/27. Should I email Nancy?

Just interviewed here today, I AM IN LOVE!

Everyone was super friendly and laid back, and the interviewers were incredibly nice. Very low stress, and a beautiful campus/school.

Just a heads up though, the admissions office was a little difficult to find, so I'd factor in a few extra minutes.

Just interviewed here today, I AM IN LOVE!

Everyone was super friendly and laid back, and the interviewers were incredibly nice. Very low stress, and a beautiful campus/school.

Just a heads up though, the admissions office was a little difficult to find, so I'd factor in a few extra minutes.

I google mapped the place. It seems like it's kind of a cloistered campus. Do you know what kind of patients/pathologies present there? I'm just worried that clinical exposure won't be to the same degree that you'd find in a downtown, safety net hospital.

I google mapped the place. It seems like it's kind of a cloistered campus. Do you know what kind of patients/pathologies present there? I'm just worried that clinical exposure won't be to the same degree that you'd find in a downtown, safety net hospital.
Yeah that issue was brought up. They said that there is a low income are 20 minutes away where they see more diverse cases. However, since the hospital serves such a large community, they said that clinical exposure and variety hasn't been a big issue. I think SBU Hospital might be a Level 1 trauma as well.

Of course, I doubt the clinical exposure will be comparable to places like Downstate, I think they get a good amount.

Yeah that issue was brought up. They said that there is a low income are 20 minutes away where they see more diverse cases. However, since the hospital serves such a large community, they said that clinical exposure and variety hasn't been a big issue. I think SBU Hospital might be a Level 1 trauma as well.

Of course, I doubt the clinical exposure will be comparable to places like Downstate, I think they get a good amount.

Hm, that doesn't seem that bad. A reasonable trade-off for what seems like an idyllic 4 years.

Still silent on my part, oh well--I'll wait.

Hm, that doesn't seem that bad. A reasonable trade-off for what seems like an idyllic 4 years.
Definitely! I felt a lot more comfortable and at home when I visited Stony Brook versus Downstate. Might be a personality thing haha, but I definitely felt more at home in Stony Brook.

Hey everyone!

I'm an MSI at Stony and although it's only been about 5 weeks I am thrilled with my decision! Please let me know if you have any questions about anything, especially Stony. I never really check this so message me so I get an e-mail alert. Good luck!

Wel, I would like to hear more about your personal experiences at Stony and what made you choose them? What specifically attracted you to the school besides great research opportunities and great location.

It was great meeting everyone who interviewed on the 21st! I was surprised they took us inside the A&P lab since USUHS wouldn't bring us inside.

Advice to upcoming interviewees: The interviews were low pressure and very friendly. No need to worry. Just be yourself. One of my interviewers was a faculty member and the other was a current medical school. The current med student had more structured questions and I would say that the interview was a bit harder. I use the word "harder" cautiously but try not to get too relaxed with student interviewers!

Good luck everyone!

It was great meeting everyone who interviewed on the 21st! I was surprised they took us inside the A&P lab since USUHS wouldn't bring us inside.

Advice to upcoming interviewees: The interviews were low pressure and very friendly. No need to worry. Just be yourself. One of my interviewers was a faculty member and the other was a current medical school. The current med student had more structured questions and I would say that the interview was a bit harder. I use the word "harder" cautiously but try not to get too relaxed with student interviewers!

Good luck everyone!

Interviewing on the 27th!!! Thanks for the heads up advice! Looking forward to my interview! :D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using SDN Mobile

Interview Invite! I'm a re-applicant, 3.3/34Q
good luck everyone!

anyone interviewing next week get their email confirmation about interview times and stuff? I'm going to be there 9/27. Should I email Nancy?

did you get your interview times and stuff yet? i still haven't and am debating contacting nancy later today if i don't hear..

Just wanted to congratulate everyone that got an interview! I'm excited to hear that so many people have Stony as their #1 :) I absolutely fell in love with the school basically from the second I walked in on interview day and it only got stronger throughout the day.

I'm about to graduate and it's nice to revisit this forum/thread and see the enthusiasm people have for Stony Brook... I've had my ups and downs but I couldn't be more grateful to be here!

Keep up the good work and don't let that secondary scare you away!

I did! You should email her!

Congrats on the interview! I saw your MD APPS, I can't believe you didn't make it through in the 2010 cycle! It seems like you have your bases covered this year, did you apply to every school in the US lol

Congrats on the interview! I saw your MD APPS, I can't believe you didn't make it through in the 2010 cycle! It seems like you have your bases covered this year, did you apply to every school in the US lol

Haha thank you! I just returned from my interview at Stony today. I had a great time and the school looks amazing!! Haha back in 2010 I didn't really have a good sense of what it takes to be a doctor. Things are definitely looking better this cycle :) thanks for the encouragement!!

(And no, I did not apply to every med school in the US. Just 41!) :p

Can I pay a current student 60 bucks to give me a ride from the airport to campus and then back to the airport? PM me if you could, I'd really appreciate it.

Interviewed there today. ABSOLUTELY loved the school and its location. Really hoping for an acceptance now. :xf::D

Interviewed there today. ABSOLUTELY loved the school and its location. Really hoping for an acceptance now. :xf::D

can you write more about your experience? What kinds of questions they asked you, the pro's/con's of the location/curriculum, etc? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.