2012-2013 UMDNJ - NJMS Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone received a letter of regret after being waitlisted?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone received a letter of regret after being waitlisted?

I'm on the priority alternate list and I haven't received anything yet. Hopefully some ppl are withdrawing their offer but from previous posts, it looks like waitlist movement is going to be very slow or there may be no movement at all..But let's hope for the best:luck:

Got my rejection e-mail today. :( I was on the regular wait list.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone get awarded any scholarships or were provided any info from financial aid office?

Does anyone know if there has been any movement on the alternate list as of yet? This waiting is getting unbearable.

Hi guys, just wanted to say I was on the wait list last year here and I really had my heart set on NJMS, so instead of accepting SOM I decided to apply early decision and was accepted the end of last July and will be starting in August. Emailing Dr. Heinrich is really helpful, he even offered to review my entire AMCAS application before I submitted it. If anyone has any questions please feel free to message me.

Hey guys,
I am kinda troubled with financial aid, and I need your feedback.

So far, all NJMS is giving me is $44,000 in loan.... 0% grant, 100% loans (includes perkins and unsubsidized loan). However, the cost of attendance is about $65,000 for in-state. (I am a NJ resident). I contacted a fin-aid personnel, and she told me that what I am given is final unless extra funding becomes available at the last minute... She said I can apply for DirectPLUS loan (higher interest rate) in July to cover the $21,000 I am missing.

I am currently in the process of finding any grants/scholarships I can apply for, but if I am unable to get any grants/scholarships and end up applying for additional loans, then I would be taking $65,000 loan per year, which would add up to $260,000 debt in 4 years. With interest, it would be much higher.

According to FAFSA, EFC (expected family contribution) is $0, and I will be fully financially independent with no financial help from my parents once medical school starts...

Is such high figure of debt normal for NJMS students(or for any med students from state medical school) whose Expected-Family-Contribution is $0 according to FAFSA?

One of the advantages of attending a state-medical school is the cheaper cost of education, but $260,000 debt definitely does not sound any cheaper than the cost of attending a private medical school...

For accepted students:
How are you guys doing with fin-aid? Is anyone having similar problem?....

Thanks everyone in advance!

Yea it's the same for all med students. More so for private ones. Your loan totals seem correct.

Hey guys,
I am kinda troubled with financial aid, and I need your feedback.

So far, all NJMS is giving me is $44,000 in loan.... 0% grant, 100% loans (includes perkins and unsubsidized loan). However, the cost of attendance is about $65,000 for in-state. (I am a NJ resident). I contacted a fin-aid personnel, and she told me that what I am given is final unless extra funding becomes available at the last minute... She said I can apply for DirectPLUS loan (higher interest rate) in July to cover the $21,000 I am missing.

I am currently in the process of finding any grants/scholarships I can apply for, but if I am unable to get any grants/scholarships and end up applying for additional loans, then I would be taking $65,000 loan per year, which would add up to $260,000 debt in 4 years. With interest, it would be much higher.

According to FAFSA, EFC (expected family contribution) is $0, and I will be fully financially independent with no financial help from my parents once medical school starts...

Is such high figure of debt normal for NJMS students(or for any med students from state medical school) whose Expected-Family-Contribution is $0 according to FAFSA?

One of the advantages of attending a state-medical school is the cheaper cost of education, but $260,000 debt definitely does not sound any cheaper than the cost of attending a private medical school...

For accepted students:
How are you guys doing with fin-aid? Is anyone having similar problem?....

Thanks everyone in advance!

Your financial aid award package seems pretty typical. Many students don't even get Perkins loans. I had received Perkins in undergrad but for medical school, only was offered the unsubsidized. The max of unsubsidized loans you can receive is listed in the UMDNJ financial aid page. For 1st year students, it is $42,722 I believe. You can borrow the rest up to your cost of attendance as PLUS loans.

Cost of attendance is listed as about that much for NJMS but depending on your personal situation, you may need less. For example, your rent may be less than the room and board estimate they include or you might spend less on books or transportation etc etc.

I can only think of the direct PLUS loans, other loans/grants for disadvantaged/extreme need students, and the primary care loan. You can ask the financial aid office if you have been considered for the other need based type of loans and grants. I intend on taking out additional PLUS loans to cover the costs. I do agree it's unfortunate to come out with so much debt but I just try not to think about it.

To answer your question, yes NJMS, is cheaper than private universities:

George Washington University
tuition ONLY is $52,302

NYU
cost of attendance is $74,900

Harvard
cost of attendance ~$79,000

Drexel
Tuition only is ~$50k

did anyone from the waitlist get any updates recently? I feel like im being chronically waitlisted -____-

I went and personally spoke to Dean Heinrich. He said the class is pretty much full. A lot of students who were accepted chose to matriculate rather than withdraw. That's why there really won't be any movement on the waitlist. I was on the waitlist and got a letter of regret

I wanted to ask the same question. are you supposed to receive a letter of regret if you didn't get off the waitlist by now?

I wanted to ask the same question. are you supposed to receive a letter of regret if you didn't get off the waitlist by now?
My guess is that those on alternate list received the letter of regret and that those on priority alternate list didn't receive any notification yet.

I'm on the regular wait list and haven't heard anything yet -.-

i am a 2013-2014 applicant. For those who applied here, what did you guys write about for the secondary secondary question, where it asks you to elaborate on anything that pertains to your candidacy? Is it okay to leave it blank???

thanksss

i am a 2013-2014 applicant. For those who applied here, what did you guys write about for the secondary secondary question, where it asks you to elaborate on anything that pertains to your candidacy? Is it okay to leave it blank???

thanksss

try to not leave things like this blank! As for your question, the patient population in Newark NJ is overwhelmingly underserved minorities without means to pay for healthcare, so whether or not you'd be happy at the school might depend on whether you're interested in this or not

got off the priority waiting list; got a call from the dean last night.

Congrats, you must be ecstatic!

i am! thank you for your kind words!

when i spoke to the dean, he said that somebody deferred and that's why I was accepted. he projected that I could be the last...

My friend just got accepted off the waitlist. He was wondering if there is a facebook group for the class of 2017?

Was he from the regular wait list or priority wait list?

Status
Not open for further replies.