2012-2013 University of Colorado Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you obtain residency after the 1st year? I've heard conflicting report from people who have interviewed here.

No.

Members don't see this ad.

On a related note, is residency based on where you are when accepted or matriculated?

I am curious because I assumed the former...but was wondering about those of us with families. If you move there early because your spouse gets a job, you buy a house, etc, how does that play out?

On a related note, is residency based on where you are when accepted or matriculated?

I am curious because I assumed the former...but was wondering about those of us with families. If you move there early because your spouse gets a job, you buy a house, etc, how does that play out?

It goes by when you matriculate but you would have had to be a Colorado resident for at least a year before matriculating for that to work.

Members don't see this ad :)

You must have been a CO resident for 1 year prior to matriculation AND have declared CO as your state for Admissions purposes. Most states -- CO included -- try to prevent what you are suggesting. Further, there is some push-back at CUSOM against Admissions' policies concerning high numbers of OOS candidates. Expect changes to occur. Some people are very unhappy.

You must have been a CO resident for 1 year prior to matriculation AND have declared CO as your state for Admissions purposes. Most states -- CO included -- try to prevent what you are suggesting. Further, there is some push-back at CUSOM against Admissions' policies concerning high numbers of OOS candidates. Expect changes to occur. Some people are very unhappy.

By "changes" do you mean less out of state acceptances?

rats!

By "changes" do you mean less out of state acceptances?

Yes.... There's some strong community push-back against OOS acceptances after the last few years. I don't know that it will impact this year's admissions policy but I do know a lot of physicians and university faculty in CO are a bit unhappy with CUSOM Admissions' performance in that area, so we may see some pressure build. It is notable that many of those community physicians that are most irritated just recently became or will shortly become physician faculty members.... The push-back so far has been informal but I wouldn't be surprised if the fuse wore short unless things changed on their own. All I know as of now is that the pressure has been building for a couple of years. Since I am out of that system now, I am just going to watch from a safe distance.

Yes.... There's some strong community push-back against OOS acceptances after the last few years. I don't know that it will impact this year's admissions policy but I do know a lot of physicians and university faculty in CO are a bit unhappy with CUSOM Admissions' performance in that area, so we may see some pressure build. It is notable that many of those community physicians that are most irritated just recently became or will shortly become physician faculty members.... The push-back so far has been informal but I wouldn't be surprised if the fuse wore short unless things changed on their own. All I know as of now is that the pressure has been building for a couple of years. Since I am out of that system now, I am just going to watch from a safe distance.

Thanks for the info! If only CA schools had the same attitude...

It's due to Colorado's sparse funding for higher education more than anything, yes? Those OOS kiddos bring the moolah

Thanks for the info! If only CA schools had the same attitude...

I didn't say the school had that attitude. I said there are factions within the community and the SOM's affiliates that have that attitude. The SOM itself has "gone rogue" in the eyes of many of its partners (including other schools on the HSC campus according to several administrators I spoke with when I was working with them closely).

It's due to Colorado's sparse funding for higher education more than anything, yes? Those OOS kiddos bring the moolah

Well, that and a strong drive to further CUSOM has a research powerhouse. The problem is that that isn't really what CO needs. CUSOM wants glory. The community wants CUSOM. CUSOM claims to serve the community but really tends to serve itself more than anything else. In other words, they aren't really serving their function as a state institution. I think people are beginning to notice that and some of the people who've been burned by it are now in places where they could actually become a royal in the pain the a** for CU if they so chose.

I didn't say the school had that attitude. I said there are factions within the community and the SOM's affiliates that have that attitude. The SOM itself has "gone rogue" in the eyes of many of its partners (including other schools on the HSC campus according to several administrators I spoke with when I was working with them closely).

Right... I oversimplified. Regardless, I appreciate the information.

Members don't see this ad :)
Taking college algebra this semester just to meet Colorados math requirement... I hope I at least get an interview.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

anyone else had trouble trying to pay the fee? I filled in the fields and tried to submit but there's another window that says there's a navigation error.

Come on CU, I'm trying to give you money but apparently you don't want it...
I am having the exact same problem...I was thinking that it was a Mac issue, so I'm trying to use a PC but now can't find any way to get to the payment page. Anyone know what's going on? Also, does anyone know how to get to the payment page without having to resubmit the entire essay window? Tried to google using key words but nothing popped up.

I am having the exact same problem...I was thinking that it was a Mac issue, so I'm trying to use a PC but now can't find any way to get to the payment page. Anyone know what's going on? Also, does anyone know how to get to the payment page without having to resubmit the entire essay window? Tried to google using key words but nothing popped up.

Did you try using a different web browser? That's the reason why I wasn't able to pay the fee. Mozilla Firefox didnt work but Internet explorer did the trick.

From what I remember, if you go back to the website to check my status, there was a message that said they won't process my application until I pay the fee. And there was a link to the payment page right below that message.

Thanks for the tip, it was a browser issue. I ended up having to resubmit the essay page and then the link that you mentioned pops up. Whew!! That was causing some anxiety yesterday. Now the wait begins!

Are any ladies interested in splitting a room on the night of Sept 23rd? My interview is on the 24th. I was thinking of getting a room with 2 double beds at the Holiday Inn. The room is $79, and we could split it. I'm not creepy, just broke :)

Interview invitation! Complete 8/9, OOS. Stats available via my MDApps.

Do they note on the status page if they received recommendations? all i see is that they're processing the secondary and fee.

II today!....complete 09/05......interviewing 10/19

II Invite here as well! OOS applicant complete early august. interviewing 10/5

Hello!

Congrats to everyone who's gotten an II from CU! Wondering if any IS applicants have gotten an invite? It seems that all the lucky ones have been OOSer's so far in this thread?

Hello!

Congrats to everyone who's gotten an II from CU! Wondering if any IS applicants have gotten an invite? It seems that all the lucky ones have been OOSer's so far in this thread?

Interesting observation. IS and haven't heard a word. I seem to remember most of my IS friends interviewing there pretty late in previous years.

Hello!

I'm IS and interviewing Monday (9/24).

FYI, the M1s have our second anatomy exam Monday when you guys interview. If we tell you we hate medical school and you should quit now, this is why. Good luck everyone!

Hello!

My thoughts, too. I tried to look back at previous years' threads, but couldn't really suss out what the IS timeline might be, though I didn't spend too much time chasing that rabbit. Instead, I guessed that CU tries to woo the stellar OOS applicants with an early interview and admission, in an attempt to catch the cream of the crop before they head to private schools with top-notch reputations.

Interview Invite today...but i'm not sure if i'm going

Was at their first interview day today, if anyone has questions fire away

Was at their first interview day today, if anyone has questions fire away

Haven't received an interview invite yet but am hopeful! Could you share what interview day is like and what interview style the school uses? Much appreciated!

Check in was from 7:30 until 8:00. At that point, Ms Patel and Dr. Winn (total rockstar) welcomed us and told us some of the school's basic philosophy. Basically, speak softly and carry a big stick; CU is ranked near the top in multiple specialties and is the only med school for 500 miles in any direction, so they're a pretty big deal but they try to downplay it as much as they can.

All interviews were in the same building. Interviews were either at 8:30/9:40 or 9:05/10:15, depending on which group you were in. CU is making the transition to MMI in the future I believe, but this year they're sticking with two one-on-one interviews. My first interviewer was very pleasant and made it clear that the purpose of the interview was for me to provide him with enough information for him to be able to confidently recommend me to the supercommittee. That said, the first interview was literally 30 minutes of ethical questions. I deserve an honorary degree in philosophy for just surviving it. My second interviewer was much more easygoing, but still threw in the odd political/policy question and we had a lengthy discussion about the PPACA. One note, you are basically in a small study room with your interviewer, but there is an artificial wall in between you and the adjacent "cubicle", so you can hear the interview going on next to yours...keep this in mind if you're easily distracted.

After that, more presentations with Dr. Winn, Dimple, and Ozzie, the director of community outreach. I was very impressed with the admissions people, everything was super organized and it seems like CU has a great vision for the school. The number of IS applicants accepted per year is plummeting, which is either terrible for you or a great thing. Reading between the lines, I gathered that this is because they want more money, and at $55,000 a head, out of state matriculants are a bit more lucrative for them.

Then we had lunch (catered by Jimmy John's) and a tour. My guide was great, as I mentioned, it seems like every member of the admissions team/student ambassador group was well-prepared. Both MS1s and MS2s had big exams (anatomy and neuro, respectively) so everybody was a bit of a zombie, but CU still had one of the better interview presentations I've experienced thus far. After the tour was a Q&A with a small MS2 panel, and we were dismissed by about 3:00.

The new Children's hospital is INCREDIBLE.

One note, you are basically in a small study room with your interviewer, but there is an artificial wall in between you and the adjacent "cubicle", so you can hear the interview going on next to yours...keep this in mind if you're easily distracted.

+1

This was super distracting during my first interview because the applicant next door was very loud and my interviewer was wearing hearing aids.

Neither of my interviewers were particularly welcoming or conversational. Both mainly stuck to a question and response mode, which was disappointing after Dr. Winn's talk about how different things were here.

Otherwise, I pretty much agree with Atlas. The students at lunch, on the tour, and on the panel were all great.

Does anyone know the timeline at this school? At one point I think CU was turning things around in 2-3 weeks. I've yet to receive an II and I've been complete for several weeks. I am OOS and my stats are not top-notch...wondering if the rejection is coming (though I have yet to see rejections on this thread?)

I don't know what the timeline is on sending out IIs, but I can tell you that nobody will see a rejection until late February or early March. They only issue acceptances before then.

I don't know what the timeline is on sending out IIs, but I can tell you that nobody will see a rejection until late February or early March. They only issue acceptances before then.

Oh wow. Great to know. Thanks.

I was just wondering, when do you guys think is too late to turn in your secondaries?

Last edited:
I was just wondering, when do you guys think is too late to turn in your secondaries?

This may sound trite, but I mean it honestly. The only day that's too late is the day after the deadline. It's obviously better to turn it in as early as possible, but the only way to guarantee yourself no chance is to not turn it in at all.

Does anyone here know if Colorado has a student host program? I am an OOS interviewing in mid-october so I want to know where most other people that interviewed in the past stayed so I can organize my trip. Any help on this issue is greatly appreciated...Thanks!

Does anyone here know if Colorado has a student host program? I am an OOS interviewing in mid-october so I want to know where most other people that interviewed in the past stayed so I can organize my trip. Any help on this issue is greatly appreciated...Thanks!

Yes, they do. There's a paragraph on the interview information page they sent you in the e-mail. Look for the section on lodging.

This may sound trite, but I mean it honestly. The only day that's too late is the day after the deadline. It's obviously better to turn it in as early as possible, but the only way to guarantee yourself no chance is to not turn it in at all.

Thanks. I just was getting discouraged that I haven't been able to get in a few of mine yet. I just was feeling like there is no chance sending it in this late.

I just was feeling like there is no chance sending it in this late.

It's definitely not too late. CU interviews on the later side (yesterday was the first round).

The number of IS applicants accepted per year is plummeting, which is either terrible for you or a great thing. Reading between the lines, I gathered that this is because they want more money, and at $55,000 a head, out of state matriculants are a bit more lucrative for them.

Ugh...this is frustrating, we are turning into another California.

Status
Not open for further replies.