2012-2013 University of Oklahoma Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You received an email asking about a background check? Or about your instate out of state status?

Members don't see this ad.

You received an email asking about a background check? Or about your instate out of state status?

No, nothing about my OK residency status. I got an email from AAMC/Certiphi (the background check company) saying they received notification of my acceptance from a school participating in the AAMC background check service, then it asked me to submit consent forms/info so they could run the check.

It has to have been prompted by OU, it's the only school I applied to through AMCAS.

Cool thanks. Congratulations by the way. I'm still biting my nails hoping I get accepted straight out of the gate here.
I got an email from them asking me to submit residency info. I'm trying not to read anything into it (the letter said not to). I just want to get in so badly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks and good luck - I really hope you hear good news. It sounds like everyone who is still waiting should hear soon, the OU COM Admissions facebook page posted this today: "We hope to send out final status to all remaining applicants by the end of next week." Of course, I don't know how reliable the facebook page is...

I spoke with Dodi at UCO's heath career fair on Wednesday and she said they were hoping to send out the final decisions by the end of next week so it seems legit to me.

So here's a slightly off topic question. In the wonderful world in which I get accepted does anyone know anything about any bus that runs from Edmond to OKC? Or is driving a car the way to go?

I spoke with Dodi at UCO's heath career fair on Wednesday and she said they were hoping to send out the final decisions by the end of next week so it seems legit to me.

So here's a slightly off topic question. In the wonderful world in which I get accepted does anyone know anything about any bus that runs from Edmond to OKC? Or is driving a car the way to go?

I haven't heard of any bus going from Edmond to OKC. The only bus that I ever see is that citylink bus, but I don't think it goes to OKC. With that said, I haven't really researched bus routes.

Hey that's wonderful! Thank you!

Congratulations to everyone who got their news today. Unfortunately, I got my news today as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Second Visit/Look Day scheduled for April 27th Congrats to everyone admitted today and in the future.... Hope to see you There....

I got accepted! Excited to meet you guys! haha

If anyone on the waitlist needs a morale boost, know that I applied with about the ****tiest MCAT possible.

There's a Facebook group for students going to OU next year! Check it out: University of Oklahoma College of Medicine - Class of 2017

For those who got their paper acceptance letter, did yours say "I am pleased to offer you a place in the 2013 class contingent upon your satisfactory completion of all application requirements" ?

Just wondering if this was some condition specific to mine, b/c there's no detail as to what else needs to be done. There's not any additional requirements on the online deposit page either. I assume details will come after accepting the offer, but I'm just curious if everyone else got that or if I should contact Dotty to see what I still need to complete.

not trying to be a @$$ or anything but if there are people with multiple acceptances here, I hope that you guys choose the other school cuz there are people like me (OU was the only school that interviewed me and waitlisted) where OU is our only option :/
congrats none the less..

For those who got their paper acceptance letter, did yours say "I am pleased to offer you a place in the 2013 class contingent upon your satisfactory completion of all application requirements" ?

Just wondering if this was some condition specific to mine, b/c there's no detail as to what else needs to be done. There's not any additional requirements on the online deposit page either. I assume details will come after accepting the offer, but I'm just curious if everyone else got that or if I should contact Dotty to see what I still need to complete.

"Additional requirements" means completing (and passing) the required prerequisite classes listed on the website, as well as graduating if you haven't already.

Well I was rejected... I Interviewed in December, was deferred and just now rejected. :( Talk about a loooong year.

Graduation is not a requirement.

Right you are. OU is one of the only med schools in the country that does not require you to have an undergraduate degree in order to matriculate (just have to have all the prerequisite courses and a total of something like 90 hours coursework). This is in contrast to their Graduate College, which does require applicants to obtain an undergraduate degree prior to matriculation.

Has anyone received any information about financial aid? I thought we would receive a packet.

Also, I couldn't find the Facebook page. Anyone else?

For anyone who has been wait listed I just wanted to let you know that last year according to the forums 45 out of the 60 on the wait list were accepted. And in the past 3 years the acceptances off the wait list have been better than half. :)

Hello Everyone,
Congrats to everyone accepted so far and I hope those who were wait listed get good news 'Sooner' than later. lol I was also just accepted before Christmas into the Class of 2017 as well as into the MD/PhD program (meaning I won't graduate until at least 2020). I was curious if anybody else on here was accepted into the MD/PhD program, it would be nice to get to know my colleagues a little more.

I look forward to meeting all of my classmates soon.

Just to appease my paranoia, does anyone who's been accepted this year mind answering my question:

Just to appease my paranoia, does anyone who's been accepted this year mind answering my question:

Yes, mine said that too. They should all say it, it just means you have to complete any pre-reqs you may be currently taking, stay in good academic standing, not become a felon, etc.

Yes, mine said that too. They should all say it, it just means you have to complete any pre-reqs you may be currently taking, stay in good academic standing, not become a felon, etc.
Yeah I think I'm good then haha. Just needed to make sure others didn't get a list of specifics outside the admission pre-reqs.

I just didn't wanna find out I'm supposed to be taking care something over these next few weeks that I wasn't aware of.

Has any one who is on the wait list received an offer or any information yet?

Has any one who is on the wait list received an offer or any information yet?

I highly doubt there will be much wait list movement until May 15, which is the last day that applicants can hold multiple acceptances. Interviews at most schools typically end in March, so a few people might withdraw around April, but nothing generally happens, if at all, until mid-May.

While this might seem disheartening, just know that when May does come, there's historically been quite a lot of movement, as other posters have mentioned. Good luck! May the odds be ever in your favor. :)

Moving from Broken Arrow. Does anyone know of a good suburb within 20 minutes where I can rent a 2bd w/ garage for $900 or less?

Safe for the kiddos.

Thanks.

For safety and distance, Edmond would be your best bet. $900 might be slightly hard to find, but I'm not sure. I live in a 1 bd apartment for ~$700, but it's a pretty nice one. Edmond has even been called the number one suburb in the US by CNBC. http://www.edmondsun.com/local/x1095933263/Edmond-tops-CNBC-Best-Suburbs-listhttp://www.edmondsun.com/local/x1095933263/Edmond-tops-CNBC-Best-Suburbs-list For better price, you might want to look at Moore. I hear that it's pretty nice too, but I'm almost never there. I just go there for the huge IMAX they have at the Warren.

Moving from Broken Arrow. Does anyone know of a good suburb within 20 minutes where I can rent a 2bd w/ garage for $900 or less?

Safe for the kiddos.

Thanks.

For safety and distance, Edmond would be your best bet. $900 might be slightly hard to find, but I'm not sure. I live in a 1 bd apartment for ~$700, but it's a pretty nice one. Edmond has even been called the number one suburb in the US by CNBC. http://www.edmondsun.com/local/x1095933263/Edmond-tops-CNBC-Best-Suburbs-listhttp://www.edmondsun.com/local/x1095933263/Edmond-tops-CNBC-Best-Suburbs-list For better price, you might want to look at Moore. I hear that it's pretty nice too, but I'm almost never there. I just go there for the huge IMAX they have at the Warren.

If you're looking for under 20 minutes, Edmond and Moore are not the best choices. It's a 20 minute drive without traffic; factor in the morning commute and it's not fun.

Currently studying for our GI midterm right now, but I'll post a more detailed response when I get the chance.

My wife and I live in an apartment complex in Edmond that has garages. Its 750 a month for a 1 bed room and they have 2, 3 and 4 bedroom apartments as well. PM me if you want more details.

Has anyone on the wait list received any info about the re-applicant workshop? It's this Friday right? I think I might call on Tuesday if they don't send any info as to where or what time tomorrow.

If you're looking for under 20 minutes, Edmond and Moore are not the best choices. It's a 20 minute drive without traffic; factor in the morning commute and it's not fun.

Currently studying for our GI midterm right now, but I'll post a more detailed response when I get the chance.

Looking forward to it.

20 minutes is a bit of an exaggeration from Edmond, to be honest. It is extremely rare for the trip to take longer than that. I drive to the health sciences center every day (I work in a lab there). But I go to undergrad in Edmond, and live on 15th street. In the worst imaginable traffic (which hits right at the intersection of I-44 and 77), the drive is 25ish minutes at the longest. In my everyday commute, however, with slight traffic, I make it in exactly 17 minutes every day. To me, that sounded about like the 20ish minute trip that you originally asked about. As I said, though, I can't really vouch for Moore as I don't make that trip often.

For anyone on the wait list going to the re-applicant workshop they will be sending out emails tomorrow with all the info.:)

Anybody in off the waitlist yet? I have an OU score of 12.39 so I feel pretty confident I should hear something soon but every day that goes by with nothing is so discouraging

I am wait listed also but haven't heard anything. How did you find out your OU #?

Anybody in off the waitlist yet? I have an OU score of 12.39 so I feel pretty confident I should hear something soon but every day that goes by with nothing is so discouraging

Is your understanding that a 12.39 is a high waitlist score?

Is your understanding that a 12.39 is a high waitlist score?

Last years thread some of the people who got in off the wait list posted academic scores slightly above and below 11.5. As a non trad I sure hope there is more to the whole process than just an academic score. I guess we may find out something today in a couple hours. Good luck to everyone on the list.

Last years thread some of the people who got in off the wait list posted academic scores slightly above and below 11.5. As a non trad I sure hope there is more to the whole process than just an academic score. I guess we may find out something today in a couple hours. Good luck to everyone on the list.
What is happening in a couple of hours today?

Status
Not open for further replies.