2013-2014 Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine at Quinnipiac University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tots

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
250 words limit for all

What medical specialty are you considering? What factors have influenced your decision? * This question is required

How do you see yourself contributing to the learning environment at the Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine? * This question is required

Please answer only two of the questions below.
* Two of the three questions below must be answered

Describe an experience outside your level of comfort and what lesson(s) you gained from the experience.

Describe an occasion when you inspired others.

Discuss how you have coped with a setback.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This is high on my list given its focus on primary care. Family medicine here I come : )

Hi everyone! I will be attending the Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine of Quinnipiac this coming Fall and will try to follow this thread to answer any questions you'll have about the application cycle, student life, the curriculum, or anything else you can think of. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be applying here. Do we have a working profile for this year's accepted students?

Hi everyone! I will be attending the Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine of Quinnipiac this coming Fall and will try to follow this thread to answer any questions you'll have about the application cycle, student life, the curriculum, or anything else you can think of. Best of luck!

Hi Tommy. Thank you for your dedication to all of us hopefuls! If you don't mind sharing, what was it that you liked most about Quinnipiac? I absolutely love the idea of going to a school where many of us have similiar goals for our future in medicine. Really exciting given everything that's happening on the primary care side of things : )

anyone else think it's odd that a school named after a surgeon has such a focus on primary care?

not hating, just found it curious.

Have you never used a Netter book before? Netter was more than just a surgeon. His drawings helped teach medicine in a better way in the past few decades. Open a Netters book and see how fascinating it is. I've had one since sophomore year and still use it today and will use it again in med school.

not questioning the utility of his work, i just think it's a little odd that the schools mission is discordant with the specialty of its namesake. especially when that mission seems to be so intensely expressed. maybe it was just my impression from reading last year's secondary, but i got the vibe that if i put anything on there except an interest in primary care I'd get rejected. i guess, maybe not if i put down medical illustrator, lol

Reactions: 1 user
lol.
"i like art so i want to become a doctor and an artist"
i was debating if i should mention my admiration for Netter though, but wasn't sure if that would sound too superficial.

iirc there is a great picture of him painting in his studio with a big, fat stogie in his mouth. you should also mention how you want to take up smoking while you're at it!

anyone else think it's odd that a school named after a surgeon has such a focus on primary care?

not hating, just found it curious.

the emphasis on primary care is just a PR move.

dont you find it odd, that almost all the US schools have a mission statement emphasizing primary care, but that we have always had a shortage of PCPs?

the emphasis on primary care is just a PR move.

dont you find it odd, that almost all the US schools have a mission statement emphasizing primary care, but that we have always had a shortage of PCPs?

a good, if cynical point. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome! Thanks a million!

This school looks great! I really hope that I get an interview here!

Does anyone know how strict they are on the "non-science" faculty letter? I have been out 2 years and the only significant connection I have and had were with the science professors. I have 2 LOR's from Biology professors, 1 from Organic professor, 1 from medical director of major cardiac research lab and 1 from the doctor I work as a medical scribe and med assistant for. Should I just go with these or write admissions? Anyone else in the same spot?

Does anyone know how strict they are on the "non-science" faculty letter? I have been out 2 years and the only significant connection I have and had were with the science professors. I have 2 LOR's from Biology professors, 1 from Organic professor, 1 from medical director of major cardiac research lab and 1 from the doctor I work as a medical scribe and med assistant for. Should I just go with these or write admissions? Anyone else in the same spot?

Their website states that you only need two letters from science faculty. It doesn't say anything about a non-science letter. However it would be a good idea to get one because I think a lot of other schools require letters from non-science faculty.

Has anyone any info on if Netter Med has offered scholarships to incoming class?

Could an incoming student share a little about the area of Hamden, CT? Is it a nice part of Connecticut, lots to do, diverse patient population, etc.?

Best of luck applying! In case anyone is curious, last year's secondary had the following essays:

2012-2013 Netter SOM Secondary Application Essays

Instructions: All applicants must complete question #1. From the remaining four questions, select two additional questions and respond. Your responses to each question cannot exceed 250 words. Type directly in the field or prepare your response with a word processing program and cut and paste it into the fields. The Admissions Committee will only review the responses to three questions.

1. What medical specialty are you considering? What factors have influenced your decision?

2. Describe how you perceive physician interactions with other health care professionals in the care of patients and families.

3. The practice of medicine requires physicians to treat patients from varied backgrounds and diverse communities. Describe your experiences and views about diversity and how you would infuse your thoughts on diversity in your practice of medicine.

4. Describe a recent experience (personal or professional) that challenged your moral values. What was the outcome?

5. What advice would you give to an entering freshman premedical student and why?

Could an incoming student share a little about the area of Hamden, CT? Is it a nice part of Connecticut, lots to do, diverse patient population, etc.?

My impression is that there's not necessarily much going on right there. (Although the mailing address is in Hamden, the medical school campus itself is in North Haven.) But it's near New Haven and not too far from Hartford. (Also, having too much free time during medical school is probably not going to be a problem!) As for diverse patient population - the main clinical site is in Bridgeport, which is about 40% Hispanic, 35% black, 20% white (non-Hispanic), and 5% Asian, and Bridgeport is fairly impoverished in general. Meriden and Middletown have the other sites that I know of; it looks like Meriden is relatively well-off, about 70% white, and Middletown sounds like a college town (Wesleyan is there), about 80% white.

Makes sense. I read that being older is a good predictor that a medical student would pick a primary care residency.

Has anyone received the secondary this year yet?

Hi, sorry if this was already discussed last year (I got tired of ctrl+F "grading"), but does anyone know the grading system for Quinnipiac?

And :thumbup: for family medicine focus

Hm, it says on that that Quippiniac's accreditation is still pending, is this true?

And thanks for the reply!

Hm, it says on that that Quippiniac's accreditation is still pending, is this true?

And thanks for the reply!

It's just a technicality because no medical school can be fully accredited until they graduate their first class. The "preliminary accreditation" allowed Quinnipiac to start accepting medical students this past year for their first class. There's more info on the LCME website: http://www.lcme.org/directry.htm#pre-accredited-programs

Exciting! Do you know happen to know if they send them out in batches or to everyone who's been verified at that point?

batches i believe, they want to make sure everything works before sending it out to everyone. so excited about this school!

I'm really excited about this school too! Hoping that being non-traditional and interested in primary care will help me out!

Hey!

Congrats on your acceptance! This school is on the top of my list, and I was wondering if you knew the secondary essay prompts-- I'd like to get a head start while I'm waiting to get verified.

2012-2013 Netter SOM Secondary Application Essays

Instructions: All applicants must complete question #1. From the remaining four questions, select two additional questions and respond. Your responses to each question cannot exceed 250 words. Type directly in the field or prepare your response with a word processing program and cut and paste it into the fields. The Admissions Committee will only review the responses to three questions.

1. What medical specialty are you considering? What factors have influenced your decision?

2. Describe how you perceive physician interactions with other health care professionals in the care of patients and families.

3. The practice of medicine requires physicians to treat patients from varied backgrounds and diverse communities. Describe your experiences and views about diversity and how you would infuse your thoughts on diversity in your practice of medicine.

4. Describe a recent experience (personal or professional) that challenged your moral values. What was the outcome?

5. What advice would you give to an entering freshman premedical student and why?

So any word from quinnipiac?? This one is at the top of my list, yet I'm getting the silent treatment lol

From the information session at QU last week: Interviews will begin September 16th. Secondary questions will be at least somewhat different from last year. They already have close to 3,000 primaries received and are expecting around 4,000 applications total.

From the information session at QU last week: Interviews will begin September 16th. Secondary questions will be at least somewhat different from last year. They already have close to 3,000 primaries received and are expecting around 4,000 applications total.

Can someone post the new secondary questions once they come out?

Thanks!

SON OF A B*** I hate writing and I prewrote this secondary ugh

Just got the secondary. :) I wonder what their pre-screening process is like?

Limit 250 words for each answer.

Both questions 1 and 2 are required of all applicants.

1) What medical specialty are you considering? What factors have influenced your decision?
2) How do you see yourself contributing to the learning environment at the Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine?

3) Describe an experience outside your level of comfort and what lesson(s) you gained from the experience.
4) Describe an occasion when you inspired others.
5) Discuss how you have coped with a setback.

So, overall, nothing all too unexpected (but pretty different from the essays given last year).

REALLY excited for the possibility of an interview at Quinnipiac!

Last edited:
Just got the secondary. :) I wonder what their pre-screening process is like?

Limit 250 words for each answer.

Both questions 1 and 2 are required of all applicants.

1) What medical specialty are you considering? What factors have influenced your decision?
2) How do you see yourself contributing to the learning environment at the Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine?

3) Describe an experience outside your level of comfort and what lesson(s) you gained from the experience.
4) Describe an occasion when you inspired others.
5) Discuss how you have coped with a setback.

So, overall, nothing all too unexpected (but pretty different from the essays given last year).

REALLY excited for the possibility of an interview at Quinnipiac!

Thanks for posting! Just curious when your primary was verified?