2013-2014 Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine at Quinnipiac University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is anyone else having trouble with the photo section?!? I keep uploading my picture and it says the section is complete, but I don't see the picture!

Log out and then log back in and it should show up.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I see we're all on top of things now that SDN is back up! ... that is, assuming it was down all day for you guys as well.

Yeah it was down all day. SDN really needs to work on their server issues. Every single other website I use works fine all the time except this one...:(

Yeah it was down all day. SDN really needs to work on their server issues. Every single other website I use works fine all the time except this one...:(

SDN had been posting on twitter all day that they were down for maintenance.

SDN had been posting on twitter all day that they were down for maintenance.
Good to know that it's not a long-term thing... but I'll also just put it out there that not everyone uses Twitter (and/or knows/thinks to use Twitter for everything). A simple "down for maintenance" message or notifications yesterday would have sufficed.

Good to know that it's not a long-term thing... but I'll also just put it out there that not everyone uses Twitter (and/or knows/thinks to use Twitter for everything). A simple "down for maintenance" message or notifications yesterday would have sufficed.

I still feel as if SDN has more internet issues than most sites. Sometimes when I log in it brings me to a "server error" page or something.

I got verified yesterday and received a secondary a couple hours later. Submitted earlier today.

Got a denial letter today :( but they don't even have my new MCAT score yet. I want to know why or if they for seen I retook my MCAT :( any comments on what I should do? Should I call and ask or just take it as a loss?:confused:

Got a denial letter today :( but they don't even have my new MCAT score yet. I want to know why or if they for seen I retook my MCAT :( any comments on what I should do? Should I call and ask or just take it as a loss?:confused:

pre-secondary or post-secondary? if it is pre-secondary, I think you could call the school. They probably didn't see that you were planning to retake your MCAT. I know they are screening applicants pre-secondary based on MCAT and GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)

I would call and ask if the MCAT was it. If so, tell them you have a new one on the way. Sorry to hear that, seems premature.

Well good luck guys! Got a pretty poopy response from admissions council. There not going to wait for my new Mcat, my GPa 3.4 with significant uptrend with my old Mcat they " didn't think there was no sense in waiting". I emailed this school before I even applied to make sure I shouldn't wait to apply till my new Mcat was posted they said no... Grr but whateve! Good luck guys!

Well good luck guys! Got a pretty poopy response from admissions council. There not going to wait for my new Mcat, my GPa 3.4 with significant uptrend with my old Mcat they " didn't think there was no sense in waiting". I emailed this school before I even applied to make sure I shouldn't wait to apply till my new Mcat was posted they said no... Grr but whateve! Good luck guys!
Sorry to hear that :( Best of luck -- I hope you crushed that MCAT and that other schools take note of your new score!

I did not convert my credits because it didn't mention that we were supposed to. Also, write the course number and not the course name.
I thought it was asking for the "course name"? Did it say "course number"? I already submitted and all I see now is "course".

I thought it was asking for the "course name"? Did it say "course number"? I already submitted and all I see now is "course".

On the instructions it said to list course number. I wouldn't worry about it though. I think the essays are way more important than the course listings.

Finally finished these essays, but question:

For the secondary app, where it says community service non-medical. I tutored a bunch of people for many hours, but I never put it on my AMCAS. It was unpaid, basically I just helped some friends out in Orgo, physics, calc etc. Total hours is probably like 20 or 30, do I put this down or will it look weird as a discrepancy?

Finally finished these essays, but question:

For the secondary app, where it says community service non-medical. I tutored a bunch of people for many hours, but I never put it on my AMCAS. It was unpaid, basically I just helped some friends out in Orgo, physics, calc etc. Total hours is probably like 20 or 30, do I put this down or will it look weird as a discrepancy?

I would like to know this too

Now I feel bad for bringing that to everyone's attention. Sorry guys. :(

Just to shed some light: It only said "Course" not "Course Number" nor "Course Name." I would'nt worry too much about this. I just submitted my app, fudged some numbers. Said I had 10 hours of unpaid non-medical volunteer, closer to, as I mentioned, 20 or 30 but, alas, what can I say. This was not as painless as I thought once I put my mind to it! Good luck all!!

Does anyone know what criteria they look at to pre-screen? It says on their website that not everybody will receive a secondary.

Hoping to be verified by AMCAS in the next couple days (submitted 7/1), and hoping to receive this secondary soon!

Does anyone know what criteria they look at to pre-screen? It says on their website that not everybody will receive a secondary.

Hoping to be verified by AMCAS in the next couple days (submitted 7/1), and hoping to receive this secondary soon!

The MSAR puts it as "all screened applicants that meet minimum eligibility requirements". I suspect that everyone above a certain GPA/MCAT cutoff gets one, but I'm not sure. The wording is a bit vague.

I got a secondary with 27 (a 6 in verbal)

Cool, thanks! If it's just gpa and MCAT that they use as cutoffs, I should be okay (3.7 and 30). Guess I'll start pre-writing these essays!

Cool, thanks! If it's just gpa and MCAT that they use as cutoffs, I should be okay (3.7 and 30). Guess I'll start pre-writing these essays!

Yup, my MCAT score is low so you should be fine

Wow that is harsh!! Sorry.

I treated it as a "diversity" essay.

I've never inspired anyone or anything in my entire life. I wrote about a mentoring experience. It's not exactly what they want, but it's close enough.

I don't believe for a second that you haven't inspired anyone :p Give yourself some credit, a lot of times inspiring others is a subtle and quiet presence felt by others.

I don't believe for a second that you haven't inspired anyone :p Give yourself some credit, a lot of times inspiring others is a subtle and quiet presence felt by others.

The last 2 essays (pick 2 out of 3) were definitely tough. They take a bit of thinking.

However, my opinion is that they're also a GREAT way to showcase who you are as a person ... far and beyond most other secondary essays.

I actually found the Quinnipiac essays to be... a bit fun. It's nice to be able to talk about your interests, personality, and experiences and what REALLY sets you apart from others. It's not just about pandering to them. :)

The last 2 essays (pick 2 out of 3) were definitely tough. They take a bit of thinking.

However, my opinion is that they're also a GREAT way to showcase who you are as a person ... far and beyond most other secondary essays.

I actually found the Quinnipiac essays to be... a bit fun. It's nice to be able to talk about your interests, personality, and experiences and what REALLY sets you apart from others. It's not just about pandering to them. :)

I agree. Don't tell anyone, but I enjoyed writing these (gasps) lol

::edit:: nevermind I found the answer- good luck to everyone!

So I just submitted my secondary. Yet my status says that I'm still missing the letters of recommendation. I have already uploaded all my letters to AMCAS and had them designated to Quinnipiac. Is anyone having the same problem as me?

So I just submitted my secondary. Yet my status says that I'm still missing the letters of recommendation. I have already uploaded all my letters to AMCAS and had them designated to Quinnipiac. Is anyone having the same problem as me?

It takes a day or two for them to show up.

do they have some type of post bacc program? Where you could be guaranteed on admittance since my mcat is around a 24.

The only post bacc program with a guaranteed MD seat is at Temple, where your place is only guaranteed with a MCAT score over 30. I wouldn't complain if Quinnipiac did something like that, though.

The only post bacc program with a guaranteed MD seat is at Temple, where your place is only guaranteed with a MCAT score over 30. I wouldn't complain if Quinnipiac did something like that, though.

With a class size of 60 or 90, I feel like that would be hard to do. I am real excited about their summer pre-matriculation program though. I am a non-trad and have been out full-time school for a while, I am pretty sure that I would benefit. :)

With a class size of 60 or 90, I feel like that would be hard to do. I am real excited about their summer pre-matriculation program though. I am a non-trad and have been out full-time school for a while, I am pretty sure that I would benefit. :)

One of people who work in admissions told me that they intent to have 60 students again for this class.

One of people who work in admissions told me that they intent to have 60 students again for this class.

Thanks for the heads up. I thought I read on-line that they were going to have 90 students but maybe that is not true anymore.

Did anyone write about multiple specialties for their first question? I know they question asks "what medical specialty are you considering?" There are actually a few medical specialties that interest me right now: pediatrics and family medicine. I don't want to seem like I cannot follow directions with talking about 2 of them. :-/

FYI: I just spoke to the admissions office and they are extending the secondary "suggested deadline" because they realize that not everyone will be able to submit their LOR right away. :)

Good luck fellow applicants! I hope we all get into our top choices! :)

Last edited:
Did anyone write about multiple specialties for their first question? I know they question asks "what medical specialty are you considering?" There are actually a few medical specialties that interest me right now: pediatrics and family medicine. I don't want to seem like I cannot follow directions with talking about 2 of them. :-/

I wrote about both Pediatrics and Family Medicine in mine too, haha! I also mentioned that my reasons for being interested in each of those fields are pretty similar.

I wrote about both Pediatrics and Family Medicine in mine too, haha! I also mentioned that my reasons for being interested in each of those fields are pretty similar.

Any idea when II will go out?

Seriously! I am soooooo excited for Netter!!!

Same! I keep checking my status page, but it just says I'm complete and ready for review (submitted 8/19). I would be thrilled to get an II here.

Hey all,

I'm a first year student at the Netter SOM, and I'd be happy to share my experiences about the first year curriculum (what I've experienced thus far), the new campus, and anything else. Just PM me or post a question...

Does anyone know how extensive the pre-secondary screen is? Are they mainly just looking for a minimum GPA/MCAT or PS, ECs and etc. as well?

Does anyone know how extensive the pre-secondary screen is? Are they mainly just looking for a minimum GPA/MCAT or PS, ECs and etc. as well?

MCAT and GPA...

Last edited: