2013-2014 Indiana University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
On the secondary application concerning our MCAT scores it says "You must have the testing agency send scores directly to IUPUI." So does IUPUI really not use the MCAT scores on our AMCAS application? I can't find anything else in the application instructions about this so I'm wondering if it really is necessary for us to have the testing agency send our scores specifically to IUPUI. Could anyone shed some light on this for me?

I am wondering about this as well.

Members don't see this ad.

On the secondary application concerning our MCAT scores it says "You must have the testing agency send scores directly to IUPUI." So does IUPUI really not use the MCAT scores on our AMCAS application? I can't find anything else in the application instructions about this so I'm wondering if it really is necessary for us to have the testing agency send our scores specifically to IUPUI. Could anyone shed some light on this for me?

also about this ,it says to list subsection score and composite score but i odn't see any place to list the composite score. i posted all 3 section scores though

also, did you guys upload anything for the department info section?

also about this ,it says to list subsection score and composite score but i odn't see any place to list the composite score. i posted all 3 section scores though

also, did you guys upload anything for the department info section?

I submitted it early last week so I don't quite remember now, but I would just put the subsection scores. I am sure they'll add them up for a composite score, so it doesn't seem a big deal.

What department info section? Was this part of the IUPUI secondary form? I don't remember uploading anything for department stuff..

Members don't see this ad :)
Was getting impatient to hear what date my interview is and checked last year's thread--it was approximately 2 weeks from invite to notification of interview date for the people who got the first two batches of invites.

So hopefully we will hear back on Monday or sometime else next week. :)

Where did it say this?

Where did it say this?

I remember seeing it, but it was somewhere around your IUPUI secondary application. Or maybe it was the website. I was a bit confused if what they said was for real, but I remember skipping it.

Well received an update email from IU today.... Rejected pre-secondary/interview!!!

Kinda Sucks but I am not that surprised. I am OOS with below average MCAT.

First email 7/19

Good luck to everyone!!!!

Got my first email on 7-16 and received my secondary info/ interview invite yesterday. I'm IS EDP 35 4.0. Thanks to all those who answered my questions!

Where did it say this?

On the secondary application under "Test Information." If you have already submitted your secondary, click on "view a PDF." However, this is the only spot I can find anywhere that says we need to send our scores directly to the school. So it makes me wonder if it is out of date or something.

On the secondary application under "Test Information." If you have already submitted your secondary, click on "view a PDF." However, this is the only spot I can find anywhere that says we need to send our scores directly to the school. So it makes me wonder if it is out of date or something.

Ah thanks. Somehow I totally missed the fact that we have to submit the graduate application. Maybe this is referring to applicants that took the GRE/LSAT/etc since they might not have something like AMCAS to verify their scores. If anyone decides to call/email and ask, please let us know what you find out!

4. Transcripts.The Office of Admissions requires applicants to keep their academic records current. Please, forward OFFICIAL transcripts to the Admissions Office at the close of each grading period.

So we need to have our undergrad forward an official transcript? The one on AMCAS doesn't work? I'm asking here because I've called the IUSOM Admission Office 3 times in the last 2 days with questions haha.

EDIT: I've already graduated, so there won't be any new updates to my transcript.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alot of the "stuff" they want you to do is not needed until AFTER your interview, the only three pre-interview materials they require (according to my interview email) are a dean's evaluation letter, legal disclosure form, and letters of evaluation form.

Oh does anyone have a date for their interview yet? I got an invitation, but no date or anything.

4. Transcripts.The Office of Admissions requires applicants to keep their academic records current. Please, forward OFFICIAL transcripts to the Admissions Office at the close of each grading period.

So we need to have our undergrad forward an official transcript? The one on AMCAS doesn't work? I'm asking here because I've called the IUSOM Admission Office 3 times in the last 2 days with questions haha.

EDIT: I've already graduated, so there won't be any new updates to my transcript.

I forwarded my transcript last week just in case.

Alot of the "stuff" they want you to do is not needed until AFTER your interview, the only three pre-interview materials they require (according to my interview email) are a dean's evaluation letter, legal disclosure form, and letters of evaluation form.

Oh does anyone have a date for their interview yet? I got an invitation, but no date or anything.

I sent those materials last week but they still have not been marked as received online, for some reason. No date yet, hopefully sometime this coming week we'll know.

Shout-out to everyone applying to IU this cycle! I applied last year and am starting at IUSM this week. It's a really great school and I wish everyone here the best of luck.

i forwarded my transcript last week just in case.

I sent those materials last week but they still have not been marked as received online, for some reason. No date yet, hopefully sometime this coming week we'll know.
+1

Hoping for some in-state love but rejected last week. 3.3sgpa (strong upward trend), 3.5 overall gpa, and 32 MCAT.

Good luck to my fellow Hoosiers applying this year!

Last edited:
Hoping for some in-state love but rejected last week. 3.3sgpa (strong upward trend), 3.5 overall gpa, and 32 MCAT.

Good luck to my fellow Hoosiers applying this year!

On the web site, they list that in state students need to have at least a 3.4 GPA in science and 28, no section below a 7, MCAT. My guess is IU figures the new DO school in Indiana will take everyone they dont.

Did they give you a reason why they rejected you? Did you have research experience, clinical exposure, all the extra stuff?

Sorry about the rejection, especially since Indiana only has one state school. I hope you get into a school somewhere, good luck, I'm rooting for yah!:thumbup:

On the web site, they list that in state students need to have at least a 3.4 GPA in science and 28, no section below a 7, MCAT. My guess is IU figures the new DO school in Indiana will take everyone they dont.

Did they give you a reason why they rejected you? Did you have research experience, clinical exposure, all the extra stuff?

Sorry about the rejection, especially since Indiana only has one state school. I hope you get into a school somewhere, good luck, I'm rooting for yah!:thumbup:

I thought those were the requirement prior to the DO school opening.

This is just fyi for others who got an interview invite and to add what other people said before me. I got my ii on 8/2, and I mailed all my forms on Monday 8/5, but none of them (including the legal disclosure form) have been marked as received. Today is the 10th day (last day for the legal form to be in), and so I called the admissions office and they told me that they may not have got to my forms yet and if I am missing anything, they will contact me via email or the applicant portal.

So, like other people said, I guess we just have wait until they contact us

Have many non EDP in-state applicants heard back? I was verified 7/17 but still nothing...

I thought those were the requirement prior to the DO school opening.

Before the school opened (last year), the minimums for in staters was 3.2 s and c GPA and 26 MCAT. My guess is because that was the only school in the state and IU felt obligated to take care of in state students. I'm guessing now they can be more selective because the DO school will take in the students who are just below the 3.4 bar. Except their averages were high, like a 3.6 for the first year class.

Personally, I'm surprised they autoreject 3.3s. Some people have a slow start in college and just cant make up the deficit in time. This is especially salty for Indiana students who only have one state school, as the new DO one is private and charges like an extra 12K a year.

Before the school opened (last year), the minimums for in staters was 3.2 s and c GPA and 26 MCAT. My guess is because that was the only school in the state and IU felt obligated to take care of in state students. I'm guessing now they can be more selective because the DO school will take in the students who are just below the 3.4 bar. Except their averages were high, like a 3.6 for the first year class.

Personally, I'm surprised they autoreject 3.3s. Some people have a slow start in college and just cant make up the deficit in time. This is especially salty for Indiana students who only have one state school, as the new DO one is private and charges like an extra 12K a year.

Not only that but some people don't apply concurrently to DO and MD so it may result in people sitting a year out. Ouch.

I wonder if this will make IU more selective overall. I sure hope not. I could see it raising IU's very low 10th percentile MCAt (26 I believe) but not changing the median much.

This is just fyi for others who got an interview invite and to add what other people said before me. I got my ii on 8/2, and I mailed all my forms on Monday 8/5, but none of them (including the legal disclosure form) have been marked as received. Today is the 10th day (last day for the legal form to be in), and so I called the admissions office and they told me that they may not have got to my forms yet and if I am missing anything, they will contact me via email or the applicant portal.

So, like other people said, I guess we just have wait until they contact us

I got my ii on 7/29 and mailed my forms 7/30, 7/31, and 8/1 and have not had my forms marked as received or gotten a date for my interview--and it's been 2 weeks since the ii email. I would've been tempted to call the admissions office had you not posted; they have not contacted me about missing forms so I suppose they haven't gotten to mine yet either...

Not only that but some people don't apply concurrently to DO and MD so it may result in people sitting a year out. Ouch.

I wonder if this will make IU more selective overall. I sure hope not. I could see it raising IU's very low 10th percentile MCAt (26 I believe) but not changing the median much.

Yep, its too bad, I know a couple of people with 3.2 science GPAs that would have made excellent physicians if they were given a chance. I guess thats why people apply broadly.

Just got an II. Verified 7/17.

I am in-state non EDP and my stats are on my MDapps. I went to IU Bloomington for undergrad.

I am really excited because I see they offer interviews at the Fort Wayne campus which is near my hometown and they campus I would prefer!

Anyone else get an email about Ft Wayne interviews on 8/24/2013? That's a Saturday. It seems to me I read somewhere that they conduct interviews on Wednesdays starting in September. Hmm.. :eyebrow:

Anyone else get an email about Ft Wayne interviews on 8/24/2013? That's a Saturday. It seems to me I read somewhere that they conduct interviews on Wednesdays starting in September. Hmm.. :eyebrow:

I thought I read that once as well. So you emailed the school with your preference for that campus and thats what they emailed back with?

I am considering Fort Wayne as well. I live near Ft Wayne but I am closer to Indy currently so I am debating whether I just want to take a trip home and see my parents all at once.

I am really nervous they are going to schedule me for the Wednesday that I fly out for another interview and if the Ft Wayne ones have a chance of being on Saturday I would sign up for that.

No, but I put Indianapolis as my first pick for campus interview location so that could be why I still haven't heard anything (no email or status change yet despite getting an invite 7/29).

While a Saturday interview might be nice (no need for me to miss work, yay), I purposely scheduled a few other interviews with the thought that the IU one would be on a Wed...one of my interviews is on a Friday--I hope I won't be doing back-to-back interviews...

Thanks for the support!! I think they just raised the criteria this year (my bad luck). I've switched my focus to osteopathic schools, where I should be able to get some acceptances.

I had all the other goodies including 3.9 sGPA for my final 30+ credit hours, research, volunteering, clinical exposure, leadership, very strong letters, great personal statement, and I applied early. My only weakness was GPA.

From what adcoms have told me, a weak sGPA = cannot handle medical school courseload (which I politely disagree with - I'm going to be an awesome doctor regardless of what happened in the past :D).

And yeah, that's a good observation regarding Indiana's new D.O. school. I hadn't thought about that. I think you're right in saying that with a new school in state, IUSM can afford to raise the bar.

Last edited:
Sorry but this really bothered me. The DO school is not run by IU. Rather, it is run by Marian University in Indianapolis.

Woops - sorry, fair catch. I don't know why I typed that. I will edit it!

Instate EDP applicant. Just heard my interview date was August 28th!!

Instate EDP applicant. Just heard my interview date was August 28th!!

Wow, that's coming up soon! What campus are you interviewing at?

I wonder if non-EDP Indianapolis interviews will be scheduled last; that would explain my unchanged status...

Do you think it would be fine to indicate in my email that I am not available Sept 18th. I feel like that is better than rescheduling.

Is that the date they scheduled you for? I've heard it's fairly difficult to reschedule IU interviews, but if they gave you multiple options and it's at a regional campus...

When they email you initially they just ask you to submit your campus preference. Then they email you later the date and time of your interview and you don't get input it seems.

So...they haven't scheduled me yet because I just got the campus preference email. I am wondering if I should indicate I can't come on the 18th so that I don't have to reschedule. I don't really want to risk them assigning me the 18th.

Also, my mind is going haywire not having control over the date because it will conflict with work (I work weekdays and weekends) and I won't have enough time to ask off.

Ohhhhh, I see what you mean (I've submitted my campus preference email already, that's why I was confused).

It can't hurt, and that way you can somewhat ensure they won't schedule you for the 18th (I don't know if the same people handling the campus assignment handle the interview date scheduling).

You probably can also call the admissions office and let them know that way.

Just got this email today:

"Good Afternoon Ft. Wayne Interviewing Applicants:
You would be receiving information about your upcoming 8/24/2013 interviews shortly.
Please let me know if you have any questions."

(AMCAS downloaded 7/23, II 8/7, IS EDP, sGPA 3.9, cGPA 3.7, MCAT 39)

Anyway, it makes me curious. I wonder if it's a typo. The Wednesday thing came from their original email saying they downloaded my app. And there's nothing yet on my Application Status.

Wow, that's coming up soon! What campus are you interviewing at?

I wonder if non-EDP Indianapolis interviews will be scheduled last; that would explain my unchanged status...

I am interviewing at the northwest campus

Just got this email today:

"Good Afternoon Ft. Wayne Interviewing Applicants:
You would be receiving information about your upcoming 8/24/2013 interviews shortly.
Please let me know if you have any questions."

(AMCAS downloaded 7/23, II 8/7, IS EDP, sGPA 3.9, cGPA 3.7, MCAT 39)

Anyway, it makes me curious. I wonder if it's a typo. The Wednesday thing came from their original email saying they downloaded my app. And there's nothing yet on my Application Status.

I am interviewing at the Northwest campus and they sent me an email saying my interview was 8/24 but then a short time later sent another email saying it was a typo and the date is 8/28, so there is a great possibility it is a typo.

Should I be concerned if I hasn't gotten any emails from IU regarding interview date? I got II the very first day they sent out II's, and I replied them letting them know I'd like to interview at Indianapolis.

I never received any confirmation and nothing was marked complete on the status page even though they were all mail out like two weeks ago.

What should I do?

Should I be concerned if I hasn't gotten any emails from IU regarding interview date? I got II the very first day they sent out II's, and I replied them letting them know I'd like to interview at Indianapolis.

I never received any confirmation and nothing was marked complete on the status page even though they were all mail out like two weeks ago.

What should I do?

I'm in the same situation, though I got my II 7/29 (which I think was the second or third batch of IIs). I'm assuming that ours should be coming this week, and that they haven't scheduled Indianapolis interviews yet because so many people want to interview there (leading to complicated scheduling).

That's my thought, anyway. I'll probably call on Friday if I haven't heard anything by then.

I'm in the same situation, though I got my II 7/29 (which I think was the second or third batch of IIs). I'm assuming that ours should be coming this week, and that they haven't scheduled Indianapolis interviews yet because so many people want to interview there (leading to complicated scheduling).

That's my thought, anyway. I'll probably call on Friday if I haven't heard anything by then.

Glad I am not the only one in that situation. Let me know if you find out anything from them! and do you think there will be a difference in where you interview vs. your chances of getting accepted? Makes me wonder if interviewing at a different location with less people will actually increase the chances of getting accept:scared:

I am interviewing at the Northwest campus and they sent me an email saying my interview was 8/24 but then a short time later sent another email saying it was a typo and the date is 8/28, so there is a great possibility it is a typo.
I think you are right. It must be. My Application Status is updated now and says my interview is for 8/28.

What should I do?

where's this status page? I haven't heard back either.

In the secondary portal, what does a yellow exclamation mark next to a form mean? They received it?

In the secondary portal, what does a yellow exclamation mark next to a form mean? They received it?

should be a green check if it's received.

has anyone been marked as received for their letters of evalution form or legal disclosure form? mine were ARRIVED at IU on the 5th but still no updates on that.

Rejected.
OOS, no ties. Balanced 31/3.8+
Oh well....saves me from having to find out where indiana is....

Ugh...a red state! Dodged a bullet there.
Bet their grapes are sour too.
Thanks for the geography lesson. Now, let those map folks know where it is so they can list it along with all those other obscure cities they managed to find :)

Hey Vegan! Sorry about IU but congrats on GW! If you don't mind answering, when did you get that first "we got all of your stuff" e-mail?

Thanks!

Hey Vegan! Sorry about IU but congrats on GW! If you don't mind answering, when did you get that first "we got all of your stuff" e-mail?

Thanks!
July 24th.
Good luck!