2013-2014 Interview Gossip/Chit-Chat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Whats a good way to look up recent research done by a faculty member at an institution? PubMed is one, but is there something more easier and with more recent research/abstracts?

Members don't see this ad.

Mt. Sinai only seems to have one interview date (At least according to the offer thread) and it's already passed, so it's odd that some people got rejections when I did not. weird.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mt. Sinai only seems to have one interview date (At least according to the offer thread) and it's already passed, so it's odd that some people got rejections when I did not. weird.

Yeah same for me - looks like they just sent out more invites though. I'm in the same boat with a couple other programs. I imagine it's some sort of internal waitlist.

Anyone heard any word on a second round of Harvard invites?

There are some programs that currently don't have a Chair. How much should I consider this when making a rank list? As a medical student it is difficult to get an idea of what this truly means for a program.

There are some programs that currently don't have a Chair. How much should I consider this when making a rank list? As a medical student it is difficult to get an idea of what this truly means for a program.

On a related note - I was surprised to see how many programs had a chair leaving/ didn't have a chair currently while on the interview trail. It seems to be fairly common. It seems to me like how much impact it would have depends on how stable the program/ PD has been.

Can any PGY-5's comment on the importance or how much marketable you are with training in proton's when trying to find either a private practice or academic job? Of my top 2 choice programs, one has protons and the other doesn't. Should proton training sway my decision making for practical future job placement reasons?

Can any PGY-5's comment on the importance or how much marketable you are with training in proton's when trying to find either a private practice or academic job? Of my top 2 choice programs, one has protons and the other doesn't. Should proton training sway my decision making for practical future job placement reasons?

No.

Protons have been thrust into a big debate over the last few years: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/new-york-times-article-about-protons.481207/

The most important thing is a well-balanced program with a good mix of cases and technology. If you end up at a place that does protons, make sure it's a not place that pushes protons at the expense of photons (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/loma-linda-program.1042032/)

Last edited:
Depends. There were definitely positions this year, in both private and academic centers, that required proton experience.

Clearly, the future of proton therapy is somewhat uncertain, and you would want to consider that if looking at a proton-only position. Not to say that it should be a decisive factor, but there's no question that it is a marketable skill.

We used to have no proton exposure here, and one of our recent grads was hired to direct a proton center. So I'm not sure how much the proton experience matters during residency.

Depends. There were definitely positions this year, in both private and academic centers, that required proton experience.

Clearly, the future of proton therapy is somewhat uncertain, and you would want to consider that if looking at a proton-only position. Not to say that it should be a decisive factor, but there's no question that it is a marketable skill.

Required? I think outside of a few big name international centers, it's probably more likely to be listed as "helpful" rather than "required"

I know of a couple of recent grads at procure affiliated centers who didn't have proton experience during residency. In most places, I imagine it won't be expected and you'll just learn on the job.

I agree with neuronix

Members don't see this ad :)
Required - UMD was one example - they were specifically looking for candidates with proton experience.

I also agree with Neuronix - certainly not necessary in training. But to the OPs question, if all things are otherwise equal from a decision making standpoint, proton experience can unquestionably provide an advantage in applying to job opportunities at proton centers...

Are we going to do a Facebook group for where we all match and such? They have done this in past years but a quick look showed nothing for this year. Although it is still relatively early.

That's a great idea. Met some awesome people along the way, would def like to know where everyone ends up!

That is a good idea - I would love to see where everyone ends up. I think there's a way to make it a closed group, but still searchable.

Tried to create a fbook closed group "Radiation Oncology Residency - Class of 2019" but evidently you have to add some people to the group before you can officially create the group. Thereafter discovered that all the people I know applying this cycle have deleted their fbook accounts haha. Going to have to be someone else who starts it...

What should we expect on/after match day? Do PD's where we matched usually call/ email? Will we find out who else matched there too?

So the Urology people make a GoogleDoc after the match:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...N5aXAxdzJXQ3l0bjZFamhDTmc&usp=drive_web#gid=2

It would be really cool if we could figure out a way to do it too. We don't necessarily need to submit all the other stuff on the sheet, but program would be cool. It's completely anonymous when you edit the document.

Btw, all of the step scores, number of interviews etc on there are not connected to the names that share the same row, they just sort all the applicant data by step score, it's unrelated to the matched applciant/program list which is organized alphabetically by program.

Again, we don't need to include the stats stuff, though it is a great resource for Urology ppl who do it, I'm jealous. it's anonymous and helpful.

What should we expect on/after match day? Do PD's where we matched usually call/ email? Will we find out who else matched there too?

My program coordinator emailed on match day in the afternoon and copied my co-resident to put us in touch. Also some of the seniors emailed to say congrats and reintroduce themselves.

I think the shared google doc spreadsheet is a great idea.
I just copied the urology spreadsheet and cleared the data out but kept all the formulas:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkVCR0IirLg3dDRFUFl6anRWdWVmQ2N4WkhtZl85RUE&usp=sharing
Anyone with the link can fill out their info anonymously (just don't be signed into a google account in the same browser at the time). I left the urology program names in for now but they can be edited/changed as we go.
We can fill in the match results columns on the left after match day. Then at some point later people can add in stats (as you mentioned, the match results with people's names will not correspond to the stats)

That's awesome. We just need to adjust for the rad onc programs and number of spots but that should be easy once we actually match.

Congrats!! Same here, feels like such a coup!
It's a good day!

Is it legal for anyone to share if there were any unfilled rad onc spots? Or are we able to see somehow?

Congrats to all of us that matched! If you go to Reports in your R3 system you can see unfilled spots by region, there were 4 total. You cannot find out by institution however.

Four unmatched spots?! Wow. I'm a little shocked there are that many. I hope everyone finds a place they love.

Well actually if you look at the reports, there are four PGY2 unmatched spots and four PGY1 unmatched spots.

SOme of those must be fake spots though.

Forgive me, but I don't understand this fake spots scenario. You mean they declare more spots than they need or have to fill?

Well actually if you look at the reports, there are four PGY2 unmatched spots and four PGY1 unmatched spots.

SOme of those must be fake spots though.

Yep, looks like 8 open spots.

Congrats to all of those who matched! The hard part is over...

Yeah so I guess the fun of opening your envelope is ruined for most of us now, ha. Nice to know early though.

What an epic fail on the part of nrmp.

Ya, so did some of you guys find out based on that thread? There was another thread on Reddit with more people confirming that it worked. Crazy.

It spread like wildfire yesterday. A lot of people I know found out where they were going.

according to that original thread, you can use the cached version of the site to figure out where you matched.

according to that original thread, you can use the cached version of the site to figure out where you matched.

Note: This is only applicable if you logged into the NRMP site sometime between yesterday at noon and today at around 8AM, and thus created a cached file of the source code during that period. If you only logged in today after they removed the source code, your browser will not have created that cache

Maybe we should start posting on the Google Doc? ha, just kidding, we can wait until Friday. Though I would imagine many here already know.

Apparently NRMP sent out an email about it essentially confirming that whatever all of you saw were the correct results, so congratulations!

We can start getting the google doc ready for friday - take a look at the programs you interviewed at and make sure it's there and the number of slots are correct

I see some are already putting stats in, good idea. you can do that before Friday.

FYI, just added in stat column for PhD status. Figure that's more relevant to our field than it is in uro (and won't really affect anonymity ;)
Any other stats that might be useful? Would be easier to put the columns in for them now before everyone starts filling in data...we already have 2 entries though - nice!

will it ever be known which Rad Onc programs went unfilled this cycle? Genuinely curious.