2013-2014 Interview Gossip/Chit-Chat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sheldor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was going to start a different thread but figured on the off chance anything useful happens might as well be in this thread for all of your reference throughout the season!

Links to last years thread:
2012-2013 Interview Gossip/Chit-Chat

Ran into some 4th year med students the other day at the hospital where I'm doing my TY and they were all a buzz with application submission and who had downloaded their applications. Ah memories.

Just curious how all of you were fairing or if you had any questions, I also had a couple sanity reminders:

1) When your classmates start getting interviews (Some of them already have!) don't freak out. People told me this last year, and I still freaked out. So I'm sure you will too, but hey, figured it couldn't hurt to try and pay that one forward :)

2) Last year UAB was the first program to send out invites, but did it in waves. So if that is the first school posted, don't stress too much, you could be in the second wave, etc.

3) Remember to try and schedule your TY/Prelim interviews as early as possible October if i you can. You will thank me later when you get a ton of rad onc interviews and are struggling to schedule it all!

4) Don't do what so many people did: Apply to 70 programs, and then in early October when you have no interviews hurriedly go back and add the last 10. You won't get interviews from those and are wasting money! The conventional wisdom is to apply broadly, but if there are 5-10 programs that you KNOW you won't go to, don't feel like you need to apply to them.

Good luck everyone, the next 6 months of your life will be crazily insane. Application season is like a David Lynch movie: you think you know whats going on, then you're really confused and feel like you're not happy, but in retrospect you realize it was actually really good.

Members don't see this ad.

still crickets both on the prelim and rad onc front. i know astro just ended, though. any residents or faculty members have any idea when rad onc programs might start deciding on interviews now that their time is freed up a little more?

Just as a frame of reference, I didn't get my first interview invitation until October 24th last year... and I was able to rank enough programs to feel comfortable about matching. Rad onc tends to send out invites later than a lot of other specialties.

Members don't see this ad :)
The very first offers have come out around this time for the last few years. Even still, thats only a very few programs. Most people won't have invites until mid-late October. Ignore your friends in IM, EM, and gen surg, etc. Its just a different beast.

Then a few years from now you can laugh at them when you see them dragging after a 30 hour call day. At least, thats what I just did :)

still crickets both on the prelim and rad onc front. i know astro just ended, though. any residents or faculty members have any idea when rad onc programs might start deciding on interviews now that their time is freed up a little more?
My (rad onc) program just started looking at the applications. Interview not till late Nov - early to mid-December. Way too early to panic.

Re: prelim/TY: Consider applying for a few more programs if you don't get interview invitations next week.

The very first offers have come out around this time for the last few years. Even still, thats only a very few programs. Most people won't have invites until mid-late October. Ignore your friends in IM, EM, and gen surg, etc. Its just a different beast.
Then a few years from now you can laugh at them when you see them dragging after a 30 hour call day. At least, thats what I just did :)

My (rad onc) program just started looking at the applications. Interview not till late Nov - early to mid-December. Way too early to panic.

Re: prelim/TY: Consider applying for a few more programs if you don't get interview invitations next week.

Definitely too early to panic. Although, this year is kind of a first. Historically the deans letter and astro would tend to line up at the end of October (MSPE on Nov. 1st), and so it made sense that all invites tended to come around that time.

Last year was the first year they moved the MSPE up to October 1st. However, ASTRO was still later. I felt like some invites came earlier last year. This year is the first year where ASTRO was in September AND the MSPE goes out on October 1st. It will be interesting to see if invites move up sooner!

Looks like at least one invite went out today... Are we posting them here or starting a separate thread?

Quick question - there are some programs that have not even downloaded any of my documents per ADTS. Is this normal at this point or is it something that I have done wrong??

Quick question - there are some programs that have not even downloaded any of my documents per ADTS. Is this normal at this point or is it something that I have done wrong??

hopefully you didn't apply to any programs that weren't accepting this year. Unfortunately, ERAS Doesn't weed them out so it's up to you to your own DD to find this out.

I have programs that I know are accepting this year that haven't downloaded my documents. They are programs who it looks like sent out later invites last year, so I'm not too worried about it.

hopefully you didn't apply to any programs that weren't accepting this year. Unfortunately, ERAS Doesn't weed them out so it's up to you to your own DD to find this out.

Thanks for the responses. I had no idea that ERAS does not weed out programs not participating in the match. I'll check the websites to make sure these programs are accepting this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any way to find out how many applicants a program interviewed for its residency positions during the last cycle, other than asking the program directly?

Is there any way to find out how many applicants a program interviewed for its residency positions during the last cycle, other than asking the program directly?

It is listed on FRIEDA for most programs.

Right now all most every one should have submitted the application.

I am just curious how many us seniors applied for rad onc this year.

Does anyone from past years know if the MSKCC TY and Rad Onc programs communicate? If you got a TY interview did you also get a Rad Onc interview? Just wondering because the rad onc program is a huge stretch for me, and trying to decide if it's worth it to go to the TY interview.

Had a friend get the TY interview but not the Rad-Onc interview. Don't know if that helps the decision process..

Does anyone from past years know if the MSKCC TY and Rad Onc programs communicate? If you got a TY interview did you also get a Rad Onc interview? Just wondering because the rad onc program is a huge stretch for me, and trying to decide if it's worth it to go to the TY interview.

That's a good point.

I'm curious about this for prelims and in General. I most likely want to stay at my home institution for prelim but have 2 prelim interviews that would require serious traveling. I don't see much point in spending the money going out there if there's not a RadOnc interview as well. I'm probably unlikely to hear from them before purchasing flights if at all.

I guess I could call the medicine programs and let them know I'd like to reschedule if I get RadOnc interview?

In the past - have most programs offered interviews on more than one day? That is - do they offer interviews in multiple waves?

Or if we say...wanted an interview at Case or Rochester and didn't get one this week, should we take that as a rejection?

In the past - have most programs offered interviews on more than one day? That is - do they offer interviews in multiple waves?

Or if we say...wanted an interview at Case or Rochester and didn't get one this week, should we take that as a rejection?
Hey, not many schools sent out offers in waves. I remember only 4-5 doing waves.

Last edited:
Does anybody know anything about the Mayo Clinic in Arizona program? They have no info on their website (actually no website at all, as far as I can tell!)

Is it just me or are there a couple programs that haven't yet downloaded any application documents from ERAS?

Is it just me or are there a couple programs that haven't yet downloaded any application documents from ERAS?

Yes - two programs for me. Anyone else?

------------------------------------------

I have a separate question - is it appropriate to update programs about a paper that has been submitted since ERAS was submitted? Or do you only update programs for accepted papers?

Thanks.

Thanks for asking. Program information should be available soon on our website.

Briefly, Mayo Clinic Arizona is pleased to offer a 5-year program which includes a radiation oncology tailored PGY-1 transitional year at Mayo Hospital. The program offers complete training in all disciplines within radiation oncology including pediatrics and proton therapy(starting in 2016). Residents will have dedicated time for research.

If you have any additional questions, please send me a PM. Thank you for your interest.

Thanks for asking. Program information should be available soon on our website.

Briefly, Mayo Clinic Arizona is pleased to offer a 5-year program which includes a radiation oncology tailored PGY-1 transitional year at Mayo Hospital. The program offers complete training in all disciplines within radiation oncology including pediatrics and proton therapy(starting in 2016). Residents will have dedicated time for research.

If you have any additional questions, please send me a PM. Thank you for your interest.

Really appreciate it- sounds very interesting and I will keep an eye on the website. Thanks Savora!

On another note, if anyone has a Louisville IV on the January date and would be interested in potentially swapping for the Dec 13 date, shoot me a PM.

Anyone want to switch a University of Arizona interview date? I have the 11/18 one and would like the December slot. PM me if interested. Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Anybody hearing anything. It's end of October and I don't see anything on the interview dates thread. I hate the game of waiting.

Thanks. I am just wondering when the "gush of invitations" will occur. But thanks for the reassurance.

User bircher shared a nice graph on the "only one interview so far" thread that incorporates dates from last year. See page 1 of that thread - "Last year there was a glut of offers on Monday, November 12th. That correlates to Monday, November 11th this year. So that's our day. Good luck guys. "

Do I send update emails on my research to program directors or program coordinators? I saw an answer to this on SDN before, but can't find it for some reason.

I think program coordinators but someone else should clarify too.

Also - are updates only kosher for publication updates, or is it okay to update if you have submitted a first author paper since ERAS filing?

Do I send update emails on my research to program directors or program coordinators? I saw an answer to this on SDN before, but can't find it for some reason.
I sent mine to Directors and got positive responses (no interviews, but congratulations), so take it with a grain of sugar.

I'd vote program director if its an important update: IE, First author publication.

If its a relevant update, but not necessarily earth shattering (Change of address, poster presentation, etc.) then I'd likely e-mail the coordinator knowing that if she (lets face it most of them are she's :) ) thinks its worth it, they'll send it along to the PD.

Also depends on whether its pre or post interview. Pre interview it can be harder to tell, but post interview generally if the PD gives you a card, and most will, and it has their e-mail address on it you can email them if its important (see below)

I think program coordinators but someone else should clarify too.

Also - are updates only kosher for publication updates, or is it okay to update if you have submitted a first author paper since ERAS filing?

Updates can be a God send. I'm fairly certain I got a couple of the interviews I did because of them. However, they can back fire too. Extra scrutiny to your app can make you go up or down their list! That said, I would never send an update saying you've submitted a first author paper. Anyone who has submitted a paper knows that doesn't mean anything. However, once its accepted definitely send an update! Good luck!

Just a random note...

In early december last year, there were a few programs that I was interested in that I hadn't heard from. I sent them each a personalized email saying that I was very interested in an interview, and cited specific reasons why for each of the programs. Out of 3 emails I sent, I got one last minute interview invite. I knew I wasn't the first choice of the program that gave me the last minute invite, but I also got the sense that I stood out in their eyes because I showed initiative and interest in their program.

Others may disagree with me on this... but at some point in the interview season, I got the sense that I really didn't have anything to lose with the programs that I hadn't heard from (granted, that time is most likely a month from now for most of you). A respectful, enthusiastic and specific interview request can't hurt

Were those programs that had already sent interviews out or was this before that? Thanks!

Just a random note...

In early december last year, there were a few programs that I was interested in that I hadn't heard from. I sent them each a personalized email saying that I was very interested in an interview, and cited specific reasons why for each of the programs. Out of 3 emails I sent, I got one last minute interview invite. I knew I wasn't the first choice of the program that gave me the last minute invite, but I also got the sense that I stood out in their eyes because I showed initiative and interest in their program.

Others may disagree with me on this... but at some point in the interview season, I got the sense that I really didn't have anything to lose with the programs that I hadn't heard from (granted, that time is most likely a month from now for most of you). A respectful, enthusiastic and specific interview request can't hurt

Just wanted to make this a n=2 and say that I got at least a few interviews this way, I can think of 3 off the top of my head.

Were those programs that had already sent interviews out or was this before that? Thanks!

For me, one that I can think of was before interviews were sent out and two were after.

=( wish I had more interviews at this point.

43/84 programs have sent out interview offers according to the thread. Looks like it was earlier this year.

Some programs have sent both offers and rejections according to posts on SDN. What does it mean if I haven't gotten any word at all from these programs (no offers but also no rejections)?

I don't know why I feel qualified to answer accurately, but I'm assuming it means we're in a sort of "wait list." Like if people cancel interviews, those programs will draw from the people they haven't rejected. Or maybe this is just what I tell myself to make myself happy.

I think some programs are doing the figurative waitlist while others just don't bother to tell you that you're rejected. Unfortunately I think mostly the latter is true. I'm basing this all on the fact that I updated my CV to a few programs that offered interviews and some said "thanks for the update" while others said "sorry we already made our picks"

I had assumed no invite plus no word from programs that already sent invites = most likely rejected. I just wasn't sure about no word at all from programs that did send rejections as well as invites. Has my application just not yet been reviewed? Or, maybe it found its way directly into the shredder :unsure:

I had assumed no invite plus no word from programs that already sent invites = most likely rejected. I just wasn't sure about no word at all from programs that did send rejections as well as invites. Has my application just not yet been reviewed? Or, maybe it found its way directly into the shredder :unsure:

The truth is... it could be any of the above. But it is very possible you were placed in the "we would give you an interview but want to see if someone else will accept our offer" pile. This is a very competitive specialty, so there are a handful of people who will get 25 offers and end up denying or cancelling 15 of them. We are in the time where they are making those decisions and shuffling schedules. Also, think of it from a program directors perspective. Why send a rejection if things don't go well and you end up needing to send an interview offer after everyone you initially invited cancels? No word from programs definitely does not mean no possible invite... rad onc is just a different beast.

The truth is... it could be any of the above. But it is very possible you were placed in the "we would give you an interview but want to see if someone else will accept our offer" pile. This is a very competitive specialty, so there are a handful of people who will get 25 offers and end up denying or cancelling 15 of them. We are in the time where they are making those decisions and shuffling schedules. Also, think of it from a program directors perspective. Why send a rejection if things don't go well and you end up needing to send an interview offer after everyone you initially invited cancels? No word from programs definitely does not mean no possible invite... rad onc is just a different beast.

I'm in this boat for a few programs now- programs I'm really interested in that have sent both invites and rejections and I've received neither. Can folks from years past speak to whether you received interviews in these types of situations? Is it pretty much a lost cause? Let's say hypothetically at good programs where people aren't likely to turn down or cancel interviews.

I'm in this boat for a few programs now- programs I'm really interested in that have sent both invites and rejections and I've received neither. Can folks from years past speak to whether you received interviews in these types of situations? Is it pretty much a lost cause? Let's say hypothetically at good programs where people aren't likely to turn down or cancel interviews.

i'm wondering the same thing

Well I'll chime in since no one else has yet!

I had multiple interviews come from situations like this. There is most definitely an informal "wait list" at these places because inevitably there will be movement from the people they invite initially. Now for full disclosure, I did also get rejections from a few places in this situation as well so it could go either way.

Hope that helps!

i'm wondering the same thing

Well I'll chime in since no one else has yet!

I had multiple interviews come from situations like this. There is most definitely an informal "wait list" at these places because inevitably there will be movement from the people they invite initially. Now for full disclosure, I did also get rejections from a few places in this situation as well so it could go either way.

Hope that helps!

Thanks Sheldor. I hope that plays out. It's hard to think that some of the more desirable programs would have any openings, though. Maybe the top applicants will have interviews at so many top places that they'll have to cancel some. Also, for those of us who got the rejection email from Sloan Kettering, since it said they had 183 applicants, can we assume there were only that many applicants this year? The number seems low, but I would think most everybody who applied submitted an app there. A couple of other rejections I got had numbers in that range (can't remember specifics).