2013-2014 Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else gearing up to reapply?

Thought I was good to go for my state school when I received my MCAT score. I guess it's true that a bad score hurts you much more than a good one helps you...

Going to be a long 18 months.

-Bill

Members don't see this ad.

Thought I was good to go for my state school when I received my MCAT score. I guess it's true that a bad score hurts you much more than a good one helps you...

-Bill

I'm starting to realize I might have to. Getting waitlisted at your only state school when you interviewed in mid-September and then getting waitlisted at every other school you got an II to doesn't really inspire confidence.

Probably going to take a gap year, retake the MCAT and get some healthcare related job if nothing comes through. I hope something does because I'm finding it hard right now not to feel bitter about the schools that waitlisted me, and that's probably going to be more challenging to do if I have to reapply.

*Please now allow me to weep bitterly in the corner at the thought of having to reapply.*

Reactions: 1 users

-Bill
Yep, I know the feeling. I'm just not up to reapplying this year, so if necessary I'll work (probably as an EMT), beef up my application, and reapply next cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

WLed at all schools and waiting for the last post-interview decision. This is what I feel

Reactions: 8 users
Less than 2 hours till I know if I got into medical school! This is true panic and anxiety!

OMG OMG OMG!!! I have to wait almost three more weeks for news! The antici.... pation is killing me!

OMG OMG OMG!!! I have to wait almost three more weeks for news! The antici.... pation is killing me!
Atleast you know when you'd know hear by? I feel like I can hear anytime between now and May...

Le Sigh.

You guys sound like you need any easy dopamine rush.

Rare ribeye steak and a glass of red wine. Bam, I'm in heaven for an hour.

You guys sound like you need any easy dopamine rush.

Rare ribeye steak and a glass of red wine. Bam, I'm in heaven for an hour.
While I would've LOVED to have done that earlier...I've recently been going on a healthy eating/working out/diet to take control over SOMETHING I'm unsatisfied with.

I've been taking it really seriously - which shows you just how stressed out/helpless I've felt over everything medical school that's no longer in my control...

Hey all,

Just wanted to post a positive story here.
I was in your shoes last year, on this very thread. I was a non-traditional applicant, with "OK" MCAT and GPA and post-bacc. I got two interviews in October and nothing else until January. I was waitlisted at 5 schools and I really thought I wasn't going to get in. Every day was torture.

Then........... In May, I was accepted to an Ivy League med school. That was my one acceptance.

I am now a first year and every single day is incredible.

You can do this. You will get there. Keep fighting!!!! I will never understand the application game.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

I was in your shoes last year, on this very thread. I was a non-traditional applicant, with "OK" MCAT and GPA and post-bacc. I got two interviews in October and nothing else until January. I was waitlisted at 5 schools and I really thought I wasn't going to get in. Every day was torture.

Then........... In May, I was accepted to an Ivy League med school. That was my one acceptance.

You can do this. You will get there. Keep fighting!!!! I will never understand the application game.

Thank you for that. You're an inspiration and definitely give me hope! :)
I've been waitlisted/ placed on hold after every single interview I've been to thus far and every day is definitely torture. I hope and pray every day that an acceptance will come along. All it takes is one!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey all,

Thank you so much for sharing this!! Knowing that there were people in your shoes before that made it, makes the wait a lot less stressful!!

Just one acceptance would ease the wait for all three schools I've interviewed at. At least I'm not rejected at any of the schools I interviewed at though. Reading all of your posts are definitely encouraging, thanks.

Reactions: 4 users
34/3.5

17 secondaries
5 interviews
3 rejections (post-interview)
2 waitlists
0 hope

3 WL, 2 decisions pending. #May15

WTF!!!

5 II
1 WL
4!!!! DECISION PENDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND THE EARLIEST OF THE DECISION PENDING INTERVIEW WAS IN SEP AND LATEST IN NOV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO WAIT THIS LONG TO HEAR BACK AFTER INTERVIEWS!!!!

(sigh)

sorry, had to get my rant out.....

Reactions: 3 users
Decision pending is still really great, guys. You could have an acceptance by Monday - hang in there and stay positive!

On 2 WLs myself. Only 48 days until May 15th, but who's counting?

Reactions: 3 users
My rational mind knows that the school I'm waiting to hear back from probably won't have a committee meeting for another few days, and will likely start releasing decisions only a week or more from now. Yet every tiny ding from my phone or inbox is making me nauseous...

I have slowly accepted the fact that I'll probably reapply next year...

27 schools. 3 interviews. 2 rejections. 1 waitlist. Hopefully, it can turn into 1 acceptance, but we'll see. Just sucks that I'll have to be dual reapplying while waiting for my final school...

I have slowly accepted the fact that I'll probably reapply next year...

27 schools. 3 interviews. 2 rejections. 1 waitlist. Hopefully, it can turn into 1 acceptance, but we'll see. Just sucks that I'll have to be dual reapplying while waiting for my final school...

I'm dreading the thought of reapplying while on a wait-list too...another year of this is torture. Maybe we're just all masochists :p

It's almost April everyone, let's hope we hear good news! Or any news. A rejection now is better than a rejection later. At least that way we can plan ahead....

Most of my interviews this cycle were on the last week of when the schools held interviews
Does this mean anything, in terms of my application or my chances?

Last edited:
Hey guys, just thought it's time for me to join since the deadline to offer enough acceptances to fill the class was today. Applied to 31 schools, went to 9 interviews, 2 post-interview rejections, 7 waitlists. Is this a new record for post-interview failure?

Hey guys, just thought it's time for me to join since the deadline to offer enough acceptances to fill the class was today. Applied to 31 schools, went to 9 interviews, 2 post-interview rejections, 7 waitlists. Is this a new record for post-interview failure?

You're not a failure! Being on 7 waitlist isn't the worst place to be at all, odds are you'll get off one of those list so keep hope alive!!

10 schools, rejected from 2 (both oos), 3 interviews--one is next week, one was last week (no word yet), the other was "defer" and I just got my back-up (non med school option--BUT THEY WANT A YES/NO IN 2 WEEKS!) ACK! Not enough time! Someone say yes to MD...

I recognize you from the other part of these forums! I thought the deadline was March 15? Don't worry, I have a pretty bad batting record as well.

I recognize you from the other part of these forums! I thought the deadline was March 15? Don't worry, I have a pretty bad batting record as well.

Yeah this says March 30th while this says March 15th. I was just trying to keep some hope alive... Guess not.

WTF!!!

5 II
1 WL
4!!!! DECISION PENDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND THE EARLIEST OF THE DECISION PENDING INTERVIEW WAS IN SEP AND LATEST IN NOV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO WAIT THIS LONG TO HEAR BACK AFTER INTERVIEWS!!!!

(sigh)

sorry, had to get my rant out.....

Just wanted to update this:

Received another WL today. They are not saying anything about the ranking.

So
5 II
2 WL
3 Decision Pending
0 Acceptances :(

Just wanted to update this:

Received another WL today. They are not saying anything about the ranking.

So
5 II
2 WL
3 Decision Pending
0 Acceptances :(
I know it probably feel like a dead end. But it definitely feels worse to only be on one waitlist, as is my current situation. And several others do not even have a waitlist to rely on. So keep your head up and know that until all of these schools reject you, you still have somewhat of a decent shot at them! All the Best dude. :highfive:

I thought the May 30 deadline was for schools to extend enough acceptances to at least fill their class... But since schools need to often accept twice that number, acceptances were still being offered. Unless I understood that wrong?

Good luck to those who are still in the running!

For those of us who will definitely be applying next cycle, how do we go about getting feedback from schools this cycle? Please chime in if you have experience or have any info about it.

Is it better to call the main admissions number and directly ask for feedback or would it be better to email about it? Should we request a feedback 'appointment' to talk to an adcom or dean? Just wondering how often reapplicants are successful at getting feedback and what is the level of feedback.

Also which schools are good at providing feedback and does is it dependent on whether or not one was invited to interview?

Any help is greatly appreciated as I have no idea about the usual protocol and how successful applicants are at getting feedback.

Good luck to those who are still in the running!

For those of us who will definitely be applying next cycle, how do we go about getting feedback from schools this cycle? Please chime in if you have experience or have any info about it.

Is it better to call the main admissions number and directly ask for feedback or would it be better to email about it? Should we request a feedback 'appointment' to talk to an adcom or dean? Just wondering how often reapplicants are successful at getting feedback and what is the level of feedback.

Also which schools are good at providing feedback and does is it dependent on whether or not one was invited to interview?

Any help is greatly appreciated as I have no idea about the usual protocol and how successful applicants are at getting feedback.
I would just call or email any schools you are interested in getting feedback from. I had a pre-interview rejection school ask me to just call and setup a time to talk, as well as a post-interview school as well. I highly doubt your direct call or email will get an instantaneous response, they have to first direct to the correct adcomm members/dean and then they have to pull up your file and whatnot an look it over before they can talk with you on the phone or send you an email response.

No reason to be nervous, some schools won't give you feedback, but it doesn't hurt to ask, others will be glad to tell you where you could improve your application, and who better to hear it from than an actual school adcomm rather than someone on sdn, or whatever you might think it may be.

I would just call or email any schools you are interested in getting feedback from. I had a pre-interview rejection school ask me to just call and setup a time to talk, as well as a post-interview school as well. I highly doubt your direct call or email will get an instantaneous response, they have to first direct to the correct adcomm members/dean and then they have to pull up your file and whatnot an look it over before they can talk with you on the phone or send you an email response.

No reason to be nervous, some schools won't give you feedback, but it doesn't hurt to ask, others will be glad to tell you where you could improve your application, and who better to hear it from than an actual school adcomm rather than someone on sdn, or whatever you might think it may be.

Is there a list out there on which schools tend to be receptive to giving feedback?

Congratulations to all those sitting on acceptances, even if the school(s) you are accepted at is not your dream school.
I just wanted to give a shout out to all my wait-listed warriors out there, who are sitting on nothing but 1-to-numerous wait lists.

I know that feel, as we continue checking our emails incessantly, spend 40+ hours a week volunteering/shadowing/working in clinical environments, continue stalling our grandma/uncle Joe/[insert name of relative over the age of 70 who won't stop asking you about medical school] by giving them a new "official medical school acceptance match date" every time they ask, and continue the daily routine of assuring our parents that not being accepted by April is "Nothing to worry about, honestly. Hey, you know Michael Jordan didn't make the varsity basketball team his sophomore year so... ".

I know that feel, ya'll... I know that feel. Stay strong because a wait list is better than a rejection (....right?? Please tell me that's right).

Reactions: 5 users
Congratulations to all those sitting on acceptances, even if the school(s) you are accepted at is not your dream school.
I just wanted to give a shout out to all my wait-listed warriors out there, who are sitting on nothing but 1-to-numerous wait lists.

I know that feel, as we continue checking our emails incessantly, spend 40+ hours a week volunteering/shadowing/working in clinical environments, continue stalling our grandma/uncle Joe/[insert name of relative over the age of 70 who won't stop asking you about medical school] by giving them a new "official medical school acceptance match date" every time they ask, and continue the daily routine of assuring our parents that not being accepted by April is "Nothing to worry about, honestly. Hey, you know Michael Jordan didn't make the varsity basketball team his sophomore year so... ".

I know that feel, ya'll... I know that feel. Stay strong because a wait list is better than a rejection (....right?? Please tell me that's right).

Its right as long as it ends in an acceptance! Otherwise, its the same or maybe even worst... (because we keep our hopes up instead of starting to prepare for next cycle)

I thought the May 30 deadline was for schools to extend enough acceptances to at least fill their class... But since schools need to often accept twice that number, acceptances were still being offered. Unless I understood that wrong?
I think you meant March 30, but yes, this deadline doesn't mean that they can't accept more people after that - they just have to have met the minimum by that date.

Is there a list out there on which schools tend to be receptive to giving feedback?

In my rejection emails, VT and Q-pac said to schedule a meeting with adcom if we like.

hey y'all, thinking of reapplying this cycle again as i just got my penultimate rejection (not to strike a pessimistic tone about my last school but hey)...i scheduled an mcat for late may in the hopes that i will be all verified by early june. it's going to be a tight 2 months so in case i need to push back to the late june mcat, would that be way too late this cycle? i'd want to obviously apply as early as possible...is there potentially a way to update schools about my mcat score on the amcas or just individually to schools so that they can start looking at my app without waiting for the new mcat?

hey y'all, thinking of reapplying this cycle again as i just got my penultimate rejection (not to strike a pessimistic tone about my last school but hey)...i scheduled an mcat for late may in the hopes that i will be all verified by early june. it's going to be a tight 2 months so in case i need to push back to the late june mcat, would that be way too late this cycle? i'd want to obviously apply as early as possible...is there potentially a way to update schools about my mcat score on the amcas or just individually to schools so that they can start looking at my app without waiting for the new mcat?

Similar case, would also appreciate some insight.

I'm fairly certain that schools will not look at your app while an MCAT is pending... I guess you could not list the future MCAT, but then even if you get a higher score they might not accept it because you didn't report it on the primary.

Thanks for the very helpful advice!

8 interview invites. 3 post-interview rejections. 5 waitlists.

Better than 8 rejections, or 0 interview invites, but waiting still sucks. I have no idea where I'm going to be in 6 months, and I feel terrible holding my family's future hostage with the uncertainty of my situation.

I swear I felt like today was going to be the day I heard back something....

but nope...nothing.

day two million and one...