2023-2024 Waitlist Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does not sending a letter of interest lower my chances of getting off a WL in any way? I sent a letter of intent to my top choice MD school that I’m WLed at, but I’m also WL at a DO school that I’m not sure if I’d choose over the DO school I already have an A at. I’d still like to get off the WL to have options though…

Members don't see this ad.

Does not sending a letter of interest lower my chances of getting off a WL in any way? I sent a letter of intent to my top choice MD school that I’m WLed at, but I’m also WL at a DO school that I’m not sure if I’d choose over the DO school I already have an A at. I’d still like to get off the WL to have options though…
If you don’t have a solid reason to want to change from your current DO acceptance to your WL school, there is no need to send a LOI to the WL school

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if there is any benefit to waiting to PTE until April 30th if you only have 1 acceptance and are on multiple other waitlists?

Anyone know if there is any benefit to waiting to PTE until April 30th if you only have 1 acceptance and are on multiple other waitlists?
Dunno but that's what I'm doing

Reactions: 1 users
Schools can’t even see where you PTE until April 30. No benefit in doing it/waiting. You can do either.
Can schools see that you have PTE'd by then or no, not where to or anything, but can they see at all that you've pte'd somewhere

Random question but does the formatting of LOIs/updates matter? I have been formatting mine single space and letter-style, but I read somewhere that they should be double-spaced. Does anyone know about this?

Can schools see that you have PTE'd by then or no, not where to or anything, but can they see at all that you've pte'd somewhere

I think before April 30 they see how many of their students are planning to enroll, after april 30 they can see if specific students have PTE’d at their school or not. I don’t think they can see other schools you’ve PTE too so idt PTE affects your chances off a waitlist…

I think before April 30 they see how many of their students are planning to enroll, after april 30 they can see if specific students have PTE’d at their school or not. I don’t think they can see other schools you’ve PTE too so idt PTE affects your chances off a waitlist…
Yeah that's basically what I was wanting to know lmao

Tbh I have this theory that some schools might prefer students w no As since it would mean that student is more likely to attend

Members don't see this ad :)
Tbh I have this theory that some schools might prefer students w no As since it would mean that student is more likely to attend
Yeah that's why I reset my plan to enroll thing in case that were the case, but if they can't even see that it doesn't matter ig

Me 2. I was also low key hoping I'd get better aid offers if I didn't have PTE selected, but I guess they just get aggregate numbers lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Good to see I’m not the only crazy one. I just remember last cycle applying and most of the people posting on here were saying the school that accepted them was their first A

But this theory also doesn’t make sense since people get accepted to schools in June/july, which means someone had to drop their spot for someone else to be accepted.

Good to see I’m not the only crazy one. I just remember last cycle applying and most of the people posting on here were saying the school that accepted them was their first A
most of my WL are from TMDSAS and I think all they can see is that I didn't match but there's a period after may 15 that is reserved for only people that didn't match so i'm scared it'll bite me in my ass if they're like hm maybe we'll offer him in that period rather than may 1-15 (if this even makes sense at all lol) but my CTE is may 15 unfortunately so I won't even be able to take part in that

Does that mean if PTE date for a particular school that I have acceptance at is later in May shall I hold off putting it as PTE to be able to get off waitlist at my top choice. What I also have heard is the schools take candidates who have no acceptance more so towards the end of their cycle vs right after April 30th. I am very confused if I should PTE on April 30th or wait till it’s actually needed by the school I’m accepted at.

Does that mean if PTE date for a particular school that I have acceptance at is later in May shall I hold off putting it as PTE to be able to get off waitlist at my top choice. What I also have heard is the schools take candidates who have no acceptance more so towards the end of their cycle vs right after April 30th. I am very confused if I should PTE on April 30th or wait till it’s actually needed by the school I’m accepted at.
If you select PTE you can stay on your WLs.
I disagree that schools prefer candidates with no other offers, they select people they liked who are high on their WL. But they definitely do not make offers to someone who has selected CTE

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Just in case anyone appreciates the specific TX info, someone just posted on the UT Houston/McGovern thread that they know of someone who got off the WL last week (but not reported on SDN). Additionally, I read a few days ago on the UTSW thread that there were a couple of people who got off the WL there in recent weeks, again just not reported. So even though the movement is small, it is not non-existent. It just isn't reported on here...

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Just in case anyone appreciates the specific TX info, someone just posted on the UT Houston/McGovern thread that they know of someone who got off the WL last week (but not reported on SDN). Additionally, I read a few days ago on the UTSW thread that there were a couple of people who got off the WL there in recent weeks, again just not reported. So even though the movement is small, it is not non-existent. It just isn't reported on here...
Not every applicant wants to share publicly here or on reddit. Be grateful and supportive of those who do.

• Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
Not every applicant wants to share publicly here or on reddit. Be grateful and supportive of those who do.
I didn't mean to come across as unappreciative - I apologize if it came out that way. I even wrote "for everyone who appreciates the specific TX info". Of course, SDN reporting is a blessing, and not a mandatory thing. I know a lot of people are on edge, so I wanted to make my contribution with a small summary of me reading other threads in case anyone wanted to know. Overall, I am incredibly grateful and blessed to have the situation that I do. I am sorry that you thought otherwise.

Reactions: 5 users
If you select PTE you can stay on your WLs.
I disagree that schools prefer candidates with no other offers, they select people they liked who are high on their WL. But they definitely do not make offers to someone who has selected CTE
Thank you. I had initially written a LOI to my top choice in march with updates as well.after I was waitlisted initially. Would writing another LOI be of any use or just redundant at this time and would look more obsessive? My reading from other sources is to just be patient at this time. And sit tight.

Thank you. I had initially written a LOI to my top choice in march with updates as well.after I was waitlisted initially. Would writing another LOI be of any use or just redundant at this time and would look more obsessive? My reading from other sources is to just be patient at this time. And sit tight.
Depending on the school, you can just check-in. But otherwise, you just have to trust the process.

I think schools that you've been accepted to will expect to see that you've PTE'd with them after April 30th and may reach out since you're only supposed to hold one A. I personally don't want to mess with it in case they rescind the offer.

Late to the game but 1 WL and one pending 🙏🏽🙏🏽. II 3/18 Is the WL. II Oct 15 and radio silence

• Care
7 interviews 6 waitlists (really 5 since im on Hofstra second tier list). This blows I'm about to be 27 and don't want to have to retake my MCAT.

• Care
Reactions: 15 users
7 interviews 6 waitlists (really 5 since im on Hofstra second tier list). This blows I'm about to be 27 and don't want to have to retake my MCAT.
Could be worse tbh, I'm 29 going on 30, 2 Master's degrees took the MCAT 4 times and on 2 Waitlists 😂 Prayers up to you and everyone on here!

• Care
Currently on 1 WL and 2 pending. I have sent 2 letters of interest/update letters to the schools that accept them. Hoping to hear back from the pending ones before April 30th. Very very difficult to find the willpower to work on another app, this is my 4th year after college putting all my time and energy into this process. If all my interviews result in WL's - I plan to quit my full-time job to get another primary app together. Do you think I could reasonably get a great application written in 6 weeks (full time)?

Reactions: 4 users
Currently on 1 WL and 2 pending. I have sent 2 letters of interest/update letters to the schools that accept them. Hoping to hear back from the pending ones before April 30th. Very very difficult to find the willpower to work on another app, this is my 4th year after college putting all my time and energy into this process. If all my interviews result in WL's - I plan to quit my full-time job to get another primary app together. Do you think I could reasonably get a great application written in 6 weeks (full time)?
Honestly, if all you need to do is write, I don't think you need to quit your job for that. I worked full-time this past year as well. I just made sure that when I had any downtime, I worked on my applications. Also, after work I would have an hour or two of time to write per day and I would put my phone or all other distractions away from me - usually in like a coffee shop or somewhere I was not tempted to turn the TV on. Just my opinion though, the job market is tough rn - might be difficult to find work afterwards

Reactions: 6 users
One of the DO schools wants me to commit with a contract saying that they will contact all schools including MD schools where I’m on waitlists telling them that I’m committed to their school. What I don’t understand is how does this school DO know which MD schools I’m on the waitlist for

thats crazy

Reactions: 5 users
2 MD II --> 2 WL Hoping for an A in the upcoming wave

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
You will get off the WL I’m sure this cycle. Stay positive.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Isn’t that expectation against the AAMC rules
An individual school can set their own commitment deadlines. This deadline of May 1 mentioned by the other poster is not earlier than the AAMC deadline, and furthermore AACOMAS schools are not bound by AAMC decision rules. If they wish a student to withdraw from all other schools to commit, they can ask for that. The student is the one who needs to decide how strongly they wish to attend the school giving this deadline for commitment.

An individual school can set their own commitment deadlines. This deadline of May 1 mentioned by the other poster is not earlier than the AAMC deadline, and furthermore AACOMAS schools are not bound by AAMC decision rules. If they wish a student to withdraw from all other schools to commit, they can ask for that. The student is the one who needs to decide how strongly they wish to attend the school giving this deadline for commitment.
My question is how does the DO school know which MD schools I’m on the waitlist for

Figured I'd start a thread to see how everyone else is dealing with life on the WL. Currently on four WLs and sitting in limbo. My coping mechanisms are mainly:
  • Constantly have Spotify going
  • Gym everyday (still not strong enough to look away from gmail longer than a couple of hours)
  • Self-deprecating humor (Khan Academy P/S said humor is a mature coping mechanism so I'm pretty sure this one is okay)
  • Check to see if CYMS has appeared for me every morning (as of 11:36 it has not)
  • Playstation
Definitely nothing AMCAS worthy. Open to new ways of coping if anyone's got good ideas as this has started to get a bit stale after a couple of months tbh.

Reactions: 6 users
My question is how does the DO school know which MD schools I’m on the waitlist for
This has been answered several times in your other thread. The crux now is - do you want to attend this DO school, or will you take the risk to wait another 4-6 weeks on your MD waitlists?

Pretty much the same thing as you. Listening to Spotify, keeping up with hobbies such as sports and the gym as well as finding new ones like mixing music. It's hard with 3 MD WLs, but I do have two acceptances with DO schools that I am more than happy. I hope everything goes well for you!1