2013-2014 University of Alabama Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Will be submitting my application Monday! UAB is one of my top schools so fingers crossed :)

Wake up thread! Any of you verified peoples get a secondary yet? What's the timeline usually like here?

I'm verified and have been since before transmission but still no secondary. Based on previous years it'll probably be another week or so.

Has anyone who has applied received a secondary yet?

Hopefully get some OOS love.

Last edited:
One of my top picks :) Florida resident with strong ties. Hopefully works out!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have the secondary prompts?

i just got an email from UAB about their MSTP program overview and funding, etc..

just wondering if anyone gets this or if it's a sign they may be interested in me? I applied to UAB for MD only

i just got an email from UAB about their MSTP program overview and funding, etc..

just wondering if anyone gets this or if it's a sign they may be interested in me? I applied to UAB for MD only

I applied for MD only too, and I have zilch for research experience. I think its just a standard email.

Just an FYI, I haven't even applied to Alabama, nor do I have any desire to, but I still received the recruitment letter in email today. I think it is based off of your MCAT scores.

Just an FYI, I haven't even applied to Alabama, nor do I have any desire to, but I still received the recruitment letter in email today. I think it is based off of your MCAT scores.

Yep. Everyone who has above a certain MCAT score receives that MSTP email.

On another note, does anyone know when the secondaries will go out to early decision students?

Same here..wait listed bottom tier

Me, too. Told me I needed more shadowing and volunteering. Also said interviews for reapps don't happen at least till January. Is that your understanding?

Me, too. Told me I needed more shadowing and volunteering. Also said interviews for reapps don't happen at least till January. Is that your understanding?

I got pretty much the same feedback. I think reapplicants are encouraged to send in updates in January and then we won't be interviewed until February or March. I wanna say that reapp interview invites usually go out in February, but don't hold me to that.

Yeah I understood the same..reapp interviews around feb.

So are reapplicants not allowed to apply early decision? Why does UAB wait until February/March to interview you guys? Seems like they're placing reapplicants at a disadvantage, going off the SDN logic of applying early = better mantra.

So are reapplicants not allowed to apply early decision? Why does UAB wait until February/March to interview you guys? Seems like they're placing reapplicants at a disadvantage, going off the SDN logic of applying early = better mantra.

I asked Dr. Smith this question and he said reapplicants are welcome to apply EDP, but it might not be the best thing to do. UAB tries to give reapplicants more time to improve their apps, so they interview them later in the cycle, and EDP would directly go against this. They will still have acceptances to give out at that time though so it's not really a disadvantage. It's going to be a long wait till February though :(

I have to say that Univ. Of Alabama has the most informative and extensive look into their decision process. I was blown away, lol.

I got the email as well, haven't applied to UAB at all. I suppose if it's free to apply to the MSTP, might be worth it. I'm leaning towards a research career anyway, I'm just not familiar with the research conducted by UAB. Thoughts?

I got the email as well, haven't applied to UAB at all. I suppose if it's free to apply to the MSTP, might be worth it. I'm leaning towards a research career anyway, I'm just not familiar with the research conducted by UAB. Thoughts?

Why is it free to apply MSTP?

For any of those reapplying this year.... Are you rewriting a whole new personal statement or are you tweaking and updating it? Dr smith said that mine was good so I really don't want to change it that much just update it. Any comments?

For any of those reapplying this year.... Are you rewriting a whole new personal statement or are you tweaking and updating it? Dr smith said that mine was good so I really don't want to change it that much just update it. Any comments?

I changed mine up a good bit but kept several of the main experiences. I'd say just updating it is probably fine if he complimented you on it. I would just try to make sure it reflects the feedback they gave you. i.e. they told me my community service was lacking so I tried to highlight recent volunteering in my personal statement.

Has any OOS applicants received a secondary? I know they screen but not sure if anybody has gotten one yet.

What is life like in Birmingham? Just curious

does UAB not have essays? didn't see any posted in last years thread

Anyone get secondaries from uab yet?

I'm reapplying and STILL haven't received my feedback... So frustrated.

Interview invite for 09/12! (Early Decision)

Got the secondary today and submitted it. There are some spots where you have to elaborate on your experiences and answer questions about that but that only real essays are:

Where do you see yourself in your medical career fifteen to twenty years from now?

Please share any information you want us to know about you that is not included in your AMCAS application or in this secondary application:

Also, there is one part where it asks if you are rural. If you answer yes, you have to elaborate.

Got the secondary today and submitted it. There are some spots where you have to elaborate on your experiences and answer questions about that but that only real essays are:

Where do you see yourself in your medical career fifteen to twenty years from now?

Please share any information you want us to know about you that is not included in your AMCAS application or in this secondary application:

Also, there is one part where it asks if you are rural. If you answer yes, you have to elaborate.

And the diversity essay...

That is such a BS question. Many third (and fourth) year medical students have no idea where they will be in their medical career in 15-20 years.