2013-2014 University of Arizona - Phoenix Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would love to apply here, but will am missing the physiology requirement. Will my application even be considered? Will it impact my app negatively? I understand that I will have to complete the physiology requirement before matriculation, which is not a problem. Thanks!

So long as you have a game plan to complete the course by the end of spring 2014, we will consider your application without bias. Missing ALL courses might suggest you would be better off to apply the following year...

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received!

Feel free to post the prompts and send to the thread creator for message #1 of this group.

Tip: do not spend time REPEATING what we already know about you on the Secondary Application. Introduce new dimensions of your readiness for medicine by answering the questions honestly, genuinely and make sure you actually answer the question. Avoid "creative writing," meaning this is not a time to be laureate - just be real and imagine this is your interview with the admissions committee.

Hi I have a question. I am an OOS resident. I took one political science class and another continental feminist philosophy class. Alternatively I also taught a class where we focused on healthcare administration. I'm wondering if these would fulfill the behavioral and social science requirement.

my school is the quarter system. So on all the courses that i previously took, I put "quarter earned" not "semester earned".... this is okay right?

Anyone know if OOS applicants are supported with IS tuition? COA is one of the highest I've seen. Like what I'm seeing otherwise. Very impressive.

So long as you have a game plan to complete the course by the end of spring 2014, we will consider your application without bias. Missing ALL courses might suggest you would be better off to apply the following year...

Awesome thank you!

my school is the quarter system. So on all the courses that i previously took, I put "quarter earned" not "semester earned".... this is okay right?

We are looking for when you completed it, so quarter/semester of "winter/spring 2012" would be the entry.

Hi I have a question. I am an OOS resident. I took one political science class and another continental feminist philosophy class. Alternatively I also taught a class where we focused on healthcare administration. I'm wondering if these would fulfill the behavioral and social science requirement.

If these courses were offered under the departments listed (long list-see our website), then they are clear. Otherwise, you can provide a statement and request a review for substitution.

Sounds like these automatically fall within the subjects/departments covered.

Anyone know if OOS applicants are supported with IS tuition? COA is one of the highest I've seen. Like what I'm seeing otherwise. Very impressive.

OOS can petition for IS tuition each year. The decision is made at the central-University, not the College of Medicine. Otherwise, you are expected to pay OOS, and will be eligible to receive grants, scholarships and other sources of aid like everyone else.

We are looking for when you completed it, so quarter/semester of "winter/spring 2012" would be the entry.

I already submitted my secondary but I did not write the dates. I only wrote "quarter earned." Once we submit it, is it too late to change that?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone please put up the essay questions for the secondary application?

Can someone please put up the essay questions for the secondary application?

After learning more about our mission and values as a medical school, share how you fit within the UA Phoenix Med culture. (required, 350 words max)

Elaborate on what has occurred in the last 12-18 months that has influenced your goal and preparation for a career in medicine. (required, 350 words max)

What unique or challenging factors in your background (childhood/adulthood) have enhanced your character? (required, 350 words max)

What is important to you that you want to make sure the Admissions Committee knows about you that is not already included in your application? (required, 350 words max)

After learning more about our mission and values as a medical school, share how you fit within the UA Phoenix Med culture. (required, 350 words max)

Elaborate on what has occurred in the last 12-18 months that has influenced your goal and preparation for a career in medicine. (required, 350 words max)

What unique or challenging factors in your background (childhood/adulthood) have enhanced your character? (required, 350 words max)

What is important to you that you want to make sure the Admissions Committee knows about you that is not already included in your application? (required, 350 words max)

Oh gosh..These are going to be difficult. I wish I could just say "listen, I want this more than anything" and explain that I'm very friendly and outgoing, that kind of thing, but I would instantly look conceited or corny by doing such. Good luck all!

Thank you very much!!!

Do any of you know if a Plant Physiology course will count towards the physiology requirement? Also, for the Upper Division requirements, it states that courses "300 or above" will satisfy the requirements. However, my uni's UD courses are only in the 100s. Do you think this will be a problem?

Do any of you know if a Plant Physiology course will count towards the physiology requirement? Also, for the Upper Division requirements, it states that courses "300 or above" will satisfy the requirements. However, my uni's UD courses are only in the 100s. Do you think this will be a problem?

Plant physio does not satisfy requirement - must be mammalian-based content.

Provide a statement in the appropriate box describing 100s are equivalent to UD. We know there are a lot of variations among institutions of higher Ed.

Does the admissions committee realize the struggles that AMCAS is having and will there be any difference in the way acceptances/interviews are sent out as a result? I'm having a hard time coping with the fact that I submitted in the middle of June and schools may not get my application until August

Does Calculus w/ Analytic Geometry satisfy the math related course requirement? I only ask because the course itself dealt with integrating data and creating trend lines etc

Chances for a 3.61 sGPA, 3.73cGPA, 35MCAT (registered native american) California Applicant?

The MSAR didn't seem to have any out-of-state vs instate preference information for UoA-Pheonix.

I saw this though on their admissions office website:

"No less than 50 percent of the entering class shall be comprised of residents from Arizona. This includes Native Americans who reside on reservations contiguous with the state of Arizona, along with applicants from Montana and Wyoming as part of the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE). The remaining 50 percent may be considered from all other states."

Is it more complicated than this?

Does the admissions committee realize the struggles that AMCAS is having and will there be any difference in the way acceptances/interviews are sent out as a result? I'm having a hard time coping with the fact that I submitted in the middle of June and schools may not get my application until August

Our deadline isn't until Oct 15, which means we don't send all invites until mid-Dec. I know this doesn't settle your worry, but hopefully describes the rolling process. Hang in there.

Does Calculus w/ Analytic Geometry satisfy the math related course requirement? I only ask because the course itself dealt with integrating data and creating trend lines etc

Request a course substitution and we'll review the course syllabus to determine the answer.

Chances for a 3.61 sGPA, 3.73cGPA, 35MCAT (registered native american) California Applicant?

The MSAR didn't seem to have any out-of-state vs instate preference information for UoA-Pheonix.

I saw this though on their admissions office website:

"No less than 50 percent of the entering class shall be comprised of residents from Arizona. This includes Native Americans who reside on reservations contiguous with the state of Arizona, along with applicants from Montana and Wyoming as part of the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE). The remaining 50 percent may be considered from all other states."

Is it more complicated than this?

No, I don't think so unless I'm missing your question. We look for outstanding students from Arizona and beyond, and won't admit fewer than 50% from AZ.

The good news is that if it takes that long for ours (I also submitted mid-June) to get sent out, it'll take that long for everyone else who applied at that time or later. I imagine they will start getting a lot faster at this, but could you imagine if they don't and what will happen to the people who wait until the end of summer to apply? Don't forget, there are a lot (in the real world, not SDN) of people who wait to take the MCAT in Aug/Sep and don't even submit until after that. Bottom line... I think we'll be good even though this has been very frustrating.

is appropriate to write about why I like to attend UofA Phoenix in response to above question?

is appropriate to write about why I like to attend UofA Phoenix in response to above question?

We hope that submitting your app is showing your interest, so use this space to tell us something else about you, your journey to college/med school or something unique.

I just received my MCAT scores and I somehow scored a 6 in VR. Sadly English is my first language. I had not scored this low on any of my practice tests. I scored an 11 in both science sections.

Should I go ahead and submit my application to Arizona Phoenix or is there little to zero chance I get an interview? This school is my top choice as I love Arizona and have family members that live there.

I believe my GPA (AMCAS 3.96) and LOR show that I am a qualified student that just happened to have a bad day testing. Should I retake the test or go with what I have?

Thanks in advance!!

I just received my MCAT scores and I somehow scored a 6 in VR. Sadly English is my first language. I had not scored this low on any of my practice tests. I scored an 11 in both science sections.

Should I go ahead and submit my application to Arizona Phoenix or is there little to zero chance I get an interview? This school is my top choice as I love Arizona and have family members that live there.

I believe my GPA (AMCAS 3.96) and LOR show that I am a qualified student that just happened to have a bad day testing. Should I retake the test or go with what I have?

Thanks in advance!!

We look at many factors, one of which is MCAT composite to determine interview invitations. I wouldn't let a 6 VR hold you back.

We look at many factors, one of which is MCAT composite to determine interview invitations. I wouldn't let a 6 VR hold you back.

I am soooo excited about this school. Many advertise that they take a holistic approach to reviewing applicants, but would turn around and flat out reject someone with an X MCAT score. The proof is in the pudding, and UofA proves it.

I would like to apply here, but am worried that my coursework might not cover the requirements.

1. I have one social science course which will satisfy the behavioral and social science related section, but am struggling with what might act as my second course in that section. It says history counts, and I was an Art History minor, so would one of these classes count? If so, wouldn't they also count for the humanities section?

2. Would a classics class about Greek mythology count for any of these sections?

3. Could a class in the English department called "Intro to Minority Literature" count as humanities-related (since on the website it says literature) or would it be under English-related?

Thanks so much for your input!

I would like to apply here, but am worried that my coursework might not cover the requirements.

1. I have one social science course which will satisfy the behavioral and social science related section, but am struggling with what might act as my second course in that section. It says history counts, and I was an Art History minor, so would one of these classes count? If so, wouldn't they also count for the humanities section?

2. Would a classics class about Greek mythology count for any of these sections?

3. Could a class in the English department called "Intro to Minority Literature" count as humanities-related (since on the website it says literature) or would it be under English-related?
Send your unofficial transcript to our office for quick review - it's hard to graduate with a degree and not have social sciences covered as part of gen Ed curricula. Questions 2,3 are a yes.

[email protected]

Thank you so much for the quick response! Would this low sub-score or a late MCAT test date (August) be more detrimental to my application for this cycle?

When would be the latest you could submit your secondary to be considered for the first interview date?

When would be the latest you could submit your secondary to be considered for the first interview date?

The timing doesn't work the way you may be imagining. Applications received are reviewed throughout the process and can be invited along the way, through the Dec 2 supplemental deadline. Some early submissions may not be invited until the end of the process, while others will be upon receipt. It's all based on institutional fit, not time stamp.

Hope this helps.

Hi, Dr. Cunningham! I have a couple of questions for you.

I am a nontraditional applicant, and I finished all of my college coursework several years ago.

I noticed on your website that UA Phoenix require biochemistry and a physiology course.

I did take cellular biochemistry as an undergraduate, but I opted to take the course as pass/fail as my senior research project became too intensive towards the end and dominated most of my time. Would that satisfy the biochemistry requirement?

Also, I did not take the A&P course offered at my school, but several of my neuroscience courses covered neuroanatomy and physiology. I attached a 2010 syllabus link for systems neuroscience to my application. Will this course fulfill the physiology requirement? (Here is the link: https://tulane.edu/sse/cell/academics/undergraduates/upload/Final-CELLNSCI332-syllabus-2010.pdf) If systems neuroscience won't, will behavioral neuroendocrinology cover it? (Another link: http://tulane.edu/sse/psyc/academics/undergraduate/upload/sylalbi-wee2.pdf)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hi Dr. Cunningham,

I see that the two English-related courses are to come from English composition, creative writing, or technical writing. My first semester of English composition is an AP credit. Would this meet the requirement, and if so, how would I enter it? Also, could an upper division class offered by the English department called "Af/Am Lit: Begin-Harlem Renais" that required significant amount of writing count towards this requirement?

Thanks!

Dr. Cunningham,

I'd also like to ask a question about the physiology course requirement. Would a general biology course ever satisfy the requirement? Also, would taking the physiology class online at a community college (e.g. at Rio Salado College) in Spring be a problem at all? (I work full time at odd hours, and it would be difficult for me to attend the class in person)

Finally, what is the usual timeline for receiving the secondary application if you have a high enough MCAT score? And how is the application received?

Thanks!

Secondary submitted. Those essays were kinda hairy....

Hi, Dr. Cunningham! I have a couple of questions for you.

I am a nontraditional applicant, and I finished all of my college coursework several years ago.

I noticed on your website that UA Phoenix require biochemistry and a physiology course.

I did take cellular biochemistry as an undergraduate, but I opted to take the course as pass/fail as my senior research project became too intensive towards the end and dominated most of my time. Would that satisfy the biochemistry requirement?

Also, I did not take the A&P course offered at my school, but several of my neuroscience courses covered neuroanatomy and physiology. I attached a 2010 syllabus link for systems neuroscience to my application. Will this course fulfill the physiology requirement? (Here is the link: https://tulane.edu/sse/cell/academics/undergraduates/upload/Final-CELLNSCI332-syllabus-2010.pdf) If systems neuroscience won't, will behavioral neuroendocrinology cover it? (Another link: http://tulane.edu/sse/psyc/academics/undergraduate/upload/sylalbi-wee2.pdf)

Thanks in advance!

All required courses must be graded, shown on transcript with a C or higher. P/F does not satisfy requirement.

Please send syllabus to our office for review. I won't be able to keep up the advising, per we, through SDN. I have a great team who can assist with a lot of these questions.

Hi Dr. Cunningham,

I see that the two English-related courses are to come from English composition, creative writing, or technical writing. My first semester of English composition is an AP credit. Would this meet the requirement, and if so, how would I enter it? Also, could an upper division class offered by the English department called "Af/Am Lit: Begin-Harlem Renais" that required significant amount of writing count towards this requirement?

Thanks!

AP credit is fine so long as it is listed on the college transcript. You'd enter AP on the grade earned field. Enter the other course as a "substitution request" for thorough review and possible acceptance.

Dr. Cunningham,

I'd also like to ask a question about the physiology course requirement. Would a general biology course ever satisfy the requirement? Also, would taking the physiology class online at a community college (e.g. at Rio Salado College) in Spring be a problem at all? (I work full time at odd hours, and it would be difficult for me to attend the class in person)

Finally, what is the usual timeline for receiving the secondary application if you have a high enough MCAT score? And how is the application received?

Thanks!

General bio does not satisfy physio, and taking the course at a CC is fine.

Supplemental invites occur within a day or two. You'll be directed via email and will use our online Aaplication Management Program to complete all future application details.

Hey Dr. Cunningham,

How does the admissions committee look upon couples (long term boyfriend & girlfriend) applying to the university, assuming they're both competitive students? Would you advise towards or against talking about it in the secondary under the question:
"What is important to you that you want to make sure the Admissions Committee knows about you that is not already included in your application?"

Thanks for the help!

Hey Dr. Cunningham,

How does the admissions committee look upon couples (long term boyfriend & girlfriend) applying to the university, assuming they're both competitive students? Would you advise towards or against talking about it in the secondary under the question:

Thanks for the help!

There isn't a "couples match" for entry to med school, unlike residency application wherein this is an option. It doesn't hurt to make us aware, though.

All required courses must be graded, shown on transcript with a C or higher. P/F does not satisfy requirement.

Please send syllabus to our office for review. I won't be able to keep up the advising, per we, through SDN. I have a great team who can assist with a lot of these questions.

Thank you for the information. Is there a specific email address I should forward the documents to?

Last edited:

Last edited:
I've heard a rumor that Arizona medical schools don't typically take California people. Is this true?