2013-2014 University of California - San Diego Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This should be a true autobiographical statement. Topics to be included are family, childhood, primary and secondary school years, undergraduate years, and, if applicable, what you've done since completing your bachelor's degree. You should also discuss the motivational factors which led you to a career in medicine including any disadvantages or obstacles which might put your accomplishments into context. A repeat of your AMCAS statement will not be acceptable.
Please note: if you are applying to the MD/PhD program, please include why you are seeking the MD/PhD training at UCSD.

Note that the autobiographical sketch is limited to 6000 characters.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
From San Diego, so UCSD is in my top three schools! Can someone speak to what questions UCSD asked to determine CA residency?

Reapplying :)

Managed to get rejected 2 cycles ago after pre-interview hold. Hoping an improved app and new autobiography will improve my chances for that elusive interview :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
From San Diego, so UCSD is in my top three schools! Can someone speak to what questions UCSD asked to determine CA residency?
They have a 'state of legal residence' form that they send you when they invite you to interview and you bring it to the interview with you. It asks dates of physical residence in California, financial information (if you file California or other state income taxes), colleges/universities attended, motor vehicle registration/driver's license, voting registration, location of bank accounts, and how long you've had each of those things. If you're under 24, you have to fill out even more information on your parents because I guess they assume you are dependent. I was worried about California residency when I applied, but it doesn't seem like it affects the admissions decision at all. There was a form I needed to get since I took a few classes at a state school outside CA the year before applying (I paid out of state tuition so I wasn't worried about it) and they said it wasn't a big deal that I didn't bring it since they don't look at the material until June/July before you start. Hope that answers some questions, I wouldn't be too concerned about proving your state residency just yet but make sure you get CA driver's license, voter registration, etc as soon as possible because you have to prove you've been in the state for at least 12 months before matriculation.

Also applying here hoping for some love from a great institution and medical school.

Also applying here hoping for some love from a great institution and medical school.

Good luck bud! :luck:

(We're going to need it... I get the feeling that UCSD can only interview a fraction of the applicants they consider 'qualified')

I hear ya bro i hope for some love but i know chances are this is gonna be a rejection. BTW entadus u applying to all UCs?

Good luck bud! :luck:

(We're going to need it... I get the feeling that UCSD can only interview a fraction of the applicants they consider 'qualified')

I hear ya bro i hope for some love but i know chances are this is gonna be a rejection. BTW entadus u applying to all UCs?

Updated my mdapps since I've submitted my primary :) I will add more schools before June 28, but for now I've only included the schools I'm reapplying to.

I wish u luck bro, ive been getting very little sleep and its still only the beginning of the cycle. God help me.
Listen can u and anyone else who has advice please feel free to drop in your two cents. My mcat is 30 (not bad) but I was wondering if I should mention to the adcoms that a relatively close uncle of mine passed the day of the exam? What happened was I had to drive down to L.A (Anaheim but close) for my exam and by the time I got there like half an our before exam time I received the news from one of my cousins through a facebook message. I would have canceled but since I had to drive all the way from San Jose so i just swallowed my feelings and went for it. My avg on practice was 34 to 35 and I didn't feel good the whole time so im just not sure on what to do. I feel like an ass using his death as an excuse, but uggh im lost...

Updated my mdapps since I've submitted my primary :) I will add more schools before June 28, but for now I've only included the schools I'm reapplying to.

I would not put that anywhere on your application, but if your MCAT score comes up in an interview, maybe.

I wish u luck bro, ive been getting very little sleep and its still only the beginning of the cycle. God help me.
Listen can u and anyone else who has advice please feel free to drop in your two cents. My mcat is 30 (not bad) but I was wondering if I should mention to the adcoms that a relatively close uncle of mine passed the day of the exam? What happened was I had to drive down to L.A (Anaheim but close) for my exam and by the time I got there like half an our before exam time I received the news from one of my cousins through a facebook message. I would have canceled but since I had to drive all the way from San Jose so i just swallowed my feelings and went for it. My avg on practice was 34 to 35 and I didn't feel good the whole time so im just not sure on what to do. I feel like an ass using his death as an excuse, but uggh im lost...

Ah man, that's all bad :( I'm sorry dude

I don't think you should mention it or it will sound like an excuse. Was his death unexpected? It seems like it had a big psychological impact on you. If that's the case, why not retake the MCAT when you aren't so flustered?

I think you may be right and it may have impacted me psychologically but I don't have a history of doing well in standarized tests, i metnioned it somewhere else but like the SATs I prepare well and somehow don't do as well as I expect on the test. Im gonna go for it this application cycle and see what happens then.
Ah man, that's all bad :( I'm sorry dude

I don't think you should mention it or it will sound like an excuse. Was his death unexpected? It seems like it had a big psychological impact on you. If that's the case, why not retake the MCAT when you aren't so flustered?

If anyone has any information on this I would be very grateful! I am extremely interested in pursuing an MD/MPH.. which I realized after I spent time with medical clinics abroad and with the underserved community in my area at a free clinic.. also after talking to two mentors that have done the same thing and have continued to work with underserved communities. I don't know much about the PRIME program here. Is it harder to get in if I apply for PRIME? What kind of applicants are they looking for? Is this the only way I can pursue an MD/MPH or can I pursue one without being in the PRIME program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what the pre-secondary screening process is like here?

Does anyone know what the pre-secondary screening process is like here?

I'm not sure of exact numbers but I received one last year within a few days and received an interview invite in July with: BS 12 VR 8 PS 12 cum 3.59 sci 3.76. So nothing crazy.

Just got a request for SSN, which they'll screen for secondaries after that. Apparently, it'll take 6-8 weeks for the screen.

I just received an email from the school asking for my social security number.....said they couldn't process my application without it....this definitely feels like spam. Anybody else get this?

Got an SSN request by "Brian" as well. Very wary about this, so I'm gonna give them a call.

I just received an email from the school asking for my social security number.....said they couldn't process my application without it....this definitely feels like spam. Anybody else get this?

I thought that too but you do it through an online form for the school. The. Another 6-8 weeks to screen. Yikes.

I thought that too but you do it through an online form for the school. The. Another 6-8 weeks to screen. Yikes.

Seriously... such a long time.

And the director just sent out another email stating that it's NOT a scam. Definitely not even think about that - I put my SSN in right away. Maybe I should be more careful next time. :oops:

EDIT/ Sorry! It's NOT a scam. Sorry to scare you xD

Last edited:
Seriously... such a long time.

And the director just sent out another email stating that it's a scam. Definitely not even think about that - I put my SSN in right away. Maybe I should be more careful next time. :oops:

Noooo he said its not a scam... Right?

It's a scam. Don't give them your SSN. Especially if your GPA is >3.7 and MCAT >34:naughty::naughty:

I never got one of those SS# emails..... weird. Maybe I'm already rejected? :(

Oh man, already getting neurotic.... :oops:

Gah, that's not a lot. Where'd you hear these numbers?

Yeah, med school's hard to get into. Welcome to the show. When I interviewed last year Brian gave a run down of all the numbers. There is also a power point presentation floating around on the internet. I'm pretty sure the UCSD SOM web site also has that stat under FAQ.

http://meded.ucsd.edu/index.cfm/asa/admissions/faqs/
This is from 2008, but last year had similar stats.

To be completely honest, you may really want a secondary but schools that legitimately screen are doing you a huge favor and saving you a lot of cash. They only end up interviewing 650 so they try not to waste people's time and money making them submit secondaries when they have no chance of even getting an interview. With that said, I hope you get one and wish you the best of luck.

Last edited:
I am surprised nobody has gotten secondaries yet. Anyone hear back?

Someone here said it would take 6-8 weeks to get a secondary, right?

Yep. They said that in both the SSN email, as well as the email about the status page.

WHAT email about the status page?? So you've received two emails??

I haven't gotten anything yet :(

WHAT email about the status page?? So you've received two emails??

I haven't gotten anything yet :(

After the SSN email, I got an email with a link to a page to check the status of your application and set up an ID for their application portal things.

Someone here said it would take 6-8 weeks to get a secondary, right?

Last year the first secondaries went out the day after the email about creating a PID. They seem slower this year but it probably won't take 6 weeks. I'm guessing people will get secondary this week.

does anyone know if UC schools have any bias against east coast applicants or preference for UC applicants?

does anyone know if UC schools have any bias against east coast applicants or preference for UC applicants?

It's a public school, so of course the UC Schools have a preference for californian applicants. They are obligated to take something like 90% In-state from California.

damn. here's to hoping. thanks for the quick reply, premed2000

2ndary received. Prompts:

This should be a true autobiographical statement. Topics to be included are family, childhood, primary and secondary school years, undergraduate years, and, if applicable, what you've done since completing your bachelor's degree. You should also discuss the motivational factors which led you to a career in medicine including any disadvantages or obstacles which might put your accomplishments into context. A repeat of your AMCAS statement will not be acceptable.
Please note: if you are applying to the MD/PhD program, please include why you are seeking the MD/PhD training at UCSD.

Note that the autobiographical sketch is limited to 6000 characters.

PRIME - Heq - PRogram In Medical Education - Health Equities: The goals of PRIME - HEq are: To increase the number of clinicians, research scientists, and advocates addressing minority health and health disparities; to create a diverse community of scholars that develop, transmit, and apply new knowledge in minority health and health disparities; and to promote a multidisciplinary community/university partnership to eliminate health disparities. The program utilizes existing opportunities to allow enrollees to obtain a master's degree emphasizing minority health and health disparities, tailored to student's interest (MPH, MBA, MAS, MS).
Applicants indicating an interest in PRIME are required to write an additional essay detailing their qualifications and reasons for interest in the program.

Please describe your interest in the PRIME-HEq program. Topics to include are longitudinal experiences that you've had with underserved communities, including the type of community that you've worked with and your level of involvement. Additionally, you should discuss the length of time that you've spent working in these communities. (4800 char)

Applicants to the UCSD School of Medicine may apply to a program which combines the M.D. degree with a Master's of Advanced Studies in Clinical Research. This program is appropriate for students who are interested in a career combining medical practice and oversight of clinical research. The Master's degree can be completed in one year, and is typically pursued between the third and fourth year of medical school. Students accepted into this MD-Master's program will be supported with a stipend and partial tuition support during the year of the Master's degree.
Applicants indicating an interest in MAS Clinical Research are required to write an additional essay detailing their qualifications and reasons for interest in the program.

Please describe your interest in the MAS Clinical Research program. Topics to include are your previous experience with clinical and/or translational research, your role within the research group, and what you envision for a career that includes clinical and/or translational research. A letter of recommendation from the individual supervising your previous experience is helpful but not required. (4800 char)

Secondary received! Hometown school, one of my top choices!

Just got secondary! OOS so a long shot with my stats but lets see how it goes!