2013-2014 University of California - San Diego Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Damn.. they only give you 2 weeks to fill out the secondary with that loooong autobiography question. I still have 4 others to work on!

Members don't see this ad.

To all those who got secondaries: when were you verified?

I was verified 7/8 and I've received no correspondence from UCSD

EDIT: I got the SS# request email just now.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Only two weeks if you're MD/PhD!

And I was verified 6/26. Submitted my SSN over the weekend

+1 and my stats aren't great by any means 3.6 cGPA/3.5 sGPA 34. There is definitely hope for everyone out there :)

+1, OOS with average stats. It seems like the screening isn't too brutal.

Damn.. they only give you 2 weeks to fill out the secondary with that loooong autobiography question. I still have 4 others to work on!

Oops nevermind.. saw that that only applies to the MD/PhD applicants.

To all those who got secondaries: when were you verified?

I was verified 7/8 and I've received no correspondence from UCSD

EDIT: I got the SS# request email just now.

They might just be backed up a bit. I haven't received one yet and I was interviewed and wait listed last year. I would assume they would at least give me a secondary again this year. Then again this processes is completely random, and I'm not sure I should even assume they remember who I am.

Re-applicant. Verified: 6/25. Received Secondary!! Also received secondary last year but no luck at interviews. so here's hoping for a better year!

Kind of seems like they are going in order. Everyone that's gotten a secondary was varified early.

Submitted!
Tip: if anyone is also applying to Duke, their first question is very similar.
Cheers.

If I am a reapplicant, do you think it's a good idea to mention what I have done during this past year in my "autobiographical sketch"?

Definitely a good idea. Pretty much expected actually. As a reapplicant, you're not only competing with others but also with your past self.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm confused. I got the SSN verification email a couple days ago and filled it out.

I just received another email (from the same person) telling me that I need to confirm again.

EDIT: Apparently the first email was just to get your SSN in the system, and the second email is to use the SSN in the system, verify that it is you, and then give you your PID.

On a separate note, UCSD has one of the best admissions ever.:love:

Last edited:
For the demographics stuff, is this just for our family? Like, if they're still living in a small town and I'm in an urban city now, do I still just put small town?

Does anyone know what the screen is based on-minimum mcat? gpa? thanks!

Does anyone know what the screen is based on-minimum mcat? gpa? thanks!

As far as I know and from what I've seen on past threads, it doesn't seem like there is a set mcat/gpa cutoff. I don't think secondary screen is that tough to get past.

As far as I know and from what I've seen on past threads, it doesn't seem like there is a set mcat/gpa cutoff. I don't think secondary screen is that tough to get past.

I heard it was very tough to get past, that a few years ago, they gave out about 2,000 secondaries.

I heard it was very tough to get past, that a few years ago, they gave out about 2,000 secondaries.

I suppose if you look at it in a numbers perspective, its about 40 percent (judging from the numbers from 2008 which are listed on the website, which I'm sure have changed in the past 5 years). But if you look at the stats of people who have received the secondary, you don't need to be the second coming of {insert religious messiah} to get one, you just need to be decently competitive.

Secondary email today! (Verified 7/8)

I haven't started the autobiographical essay yet.

They might just be backed up a bit. I haven't received one yet and I was interviewed and wait listed last year. I would assume they would at least give me a secondary again this year. Then again this processes is completely random, and I'm not sure I should even assume they remember who I am.
I haven't received one yet either. If you don't mind me asking, when were you verified?

This secondary is a killer! Especially if you're also doing the optional essays. haha! :)

I haven't received one yet either. If you don't mind me asking, when were you verified?

I think verified July 2-3 and added ucsd on 3-4. I got wait listed so I can't rationalize why I wouldn't get one this year. Had they rejected me after my interviewer then I could understand not getting one. I'm just trying to be patient. It's a very long processes and ucsd doesn't really subscribe to a rolling admission philosophy.

Anyone here not get a confirmation email that they received your secondary app?

Anyone here not get a confirmation email that they received your secondary app?
No, I didn't receive an email... but it you log back into their website, you can check the status page showing whether or not the secondary/secondary fee have been submitted.

It seems to allow me to fill out the secondary application, even though I haven't gotten a secondary email.

This is normal, correct?

I should not fill out the secondary until I get the email, correct?

It seems to allow me to fill out the secondary application, even though I haven't gotten a secondary email.

This is normal, correct?

I should not fill out the secondary until I get the email, correct?

They've had delays with their emails... you should get a secondary email soon

I am in the process of finishing my secondary application and just submitted the online payment. When I try to access the page now, however, I receive a message saying "Sorry, the information you entered could not be validated." I have double checked to make sure all of my information is correct on the entrance page, and do not know what more to do. I tried to email them but it was rejected by the server...

EDIT: Issue resolved. Submitted!

Last edited:
Is anyone else still working on this secondary? I am approaching 2 weeks and I am trying to bust out this 6,000 character autobiographical sketch. This feels just like writing my PS again haha.

Is anyone else still working on this secondary? I am approaching 2 weeks and I am trying to bust out this 6,000 character autobiographical sketch. This feels just like writing my PS again haha.

I've had the secondary for around 9 or 10 days so far. I haven't written my autobiography yet :(

Luckily they give us 1 month to complete the secondary. If I'm complete after 3 weeks, I will consider that acceptable. Good luck!! :luck:

EDIT: Secondary submitted 8/1

Last edited:
I've had the secondary for around 9 or 10 days so far. I haven't written my autobiography yet :(

Luckily they give us 1 month to complete the secondary. If I'm complete after 3 weeks, I will consider that acceptable. Good luck!! :luck:

Thanks, you too! I am going out of town middle of next week (for a week) and am also in the process of moving out.. hoping I can get this autobiography done before then!

Hey does anyone here know UCSD's out of state acceptance rate? All I have the LizzyM spreadsheet from awhile ago supposedly taken from the MSAR and it lists UCSD as 30% out of state. Any truth to this? Thank and good luck to all!

Interview invite just now via email! Normal MD, IS. So excited, this school would be a dream!

I received another request for additional information. I already submitted my SSN and received a secondary, but received the same request today. Does anyone know if this is an error or not? If it's not, where do I input my SSN again? I can't seem to find a place for it.

I received another request for additional information. I already submitted my SSN and received a secondary, but received the same request today. Does anyone know if this is an error or not? If it's not, where do I input my SSN again? I can't seem to find a place for it.

I got the same thing...

Just submitted! That autobiographical sketch was brutal. I would love to have the chance to come here as it is only an hour away from my support system :)

I submitted the day I got it, 7/15. Pre wrote the autobiography

Congrats on the II! Just wondering if you had any pieces of advice for writing the autobiographical sketch? I approached my PS almost EXACTLY like their prompt (addressing my path to medicine, motivation, etc.) and I am at a loss as to how to write a completely different essay... I feel like I am running out of novel things to write about my own life! Did you have a specific theme or was it just a running narrative with everything relating back to medicine? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey does anyone here know UCSD's out of state acceptance rate? All I have the LizzyM spreadsheet from awhile ago supposedly taken from the MSAR and it lists UCSD as 30% out of state. Any truth to this? Thank and good luck to all!

Last year: ~125 interviewed / Accepted ??? / Matriculated ~15 some of which are MD/PhD; the odds aren't too great. Rough numbers but it gives you an idea.

Congrats on the II! Just wondering if you had any pieces of advice for writing the autobiographical sketch? I approached my PS almost EXACTLY like their prompt (addressing my path to medicine, motivation, etc.) and I am at a loss as to how to write a completely different essay... I feel like I am running out of novel things to write about my own life! Did you have a specific theme or was it just a running narrative with everything relating back to medicine? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! To be honest, I tried to answer the question not by explaining my path to medicine which I did in my PS, but rather just answered it be explaining how I got to be the person I am today. I think they're really looking more for personality and "fit" with this response rather than "why medicine." I talked about my childhood, high school, college, post-college (I'm nontrad) and how the major events that have occurred in my life have affected me. Definitely more of a "get to know you as a person" question I think.

Surfdoc29 - thank you for the advice, that seems like a sound strategy. I will have to sit and reminisce for a little bit, but I think that shift in perspective will really help! Oh and if you can, go surf Black's Beach (if you haven't already) when you go and interview. It's one of the better beach breaks on the West Coast and a 10-min walk from campus. It should have some solid surf especially if you are interviewing in Sept/Oct. Good luck!

Surfdoc29 - thank you for the advice, that seems like a sound strategy. I will have to sit and reminisce for a little bit, but I think that shift in perspective will really help! Oh and if you can, go surf Black's Beach (if you haven't already) when you go and interview. It's one of the better beach breaks on the West Coast and a 10-min walk from campus. It should have some solid surf especially if you are interviewing in Sept/Oct. Good luck!

Ha ha I live about 5 min from campus and grew up in Encinitas! I surf Blacks fairly regularly! Love it!

Just got my secondary!

Received: 7/29/2013
Secondary: 8/1/2013

Last year: ~125 interviewed / Accepted ??? / Matriculated ~15 some of which are MD/PhD; the odds aren't too great. Rough numbers but it gives you an idea.

:ninja: shoot.....

just got secondary, for the autobiography do you think we just go right into it? I guess what Im talking about is going straight into the personal aspects like my family/childhood, school years, and then connect how these motivated me along with some challenges I faced that helped me to decide to pursue medicine? Problem I am facing is I kinda did this with my personal statement.

btw: does anyone ever feel kind of burned out doing secondaries? I have finished 17, and still have 4 to go, which includes this one and rosalind's killer secondary.

just got secondary, for the autobiography do you think we just go right into it? I guess what Im talking about is going straight into the personal aspects like my family/childhood, school years, and then connect how these motivated me along with some challenges I faced that helped me to decide to pursue medicine? Problem I am facing is I kinda did this with my personal statement.

Yeah it seems that a lot of people are having a hard time with the autobio because they covered a lot of the same material in their PS. I guess if the events you addressed in your PS also follow the autobio prompt, try to talk about it in a different way?