2013-2014 University of Connecticut Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
2 months ago from tomorrow. how about you?
Wow that's awhile ago, I was interviewed last week, surprise that they got back to me so quick! Don't lose hope, there's always a possibility!

Wow that's awhile ago, I was interviewed last week, surprise that they got back to me so quick! Don't lose hope, there's always a possibility!

at least they were quick about it with you. my interview couldn't have gone better and my application as it stood was solid, plus I did pretty much everything I could to improve my application both since applying and since the interview and i sent them updates. as pessimistic as it sounds, if they didn't accept me after all that, I doubt ill get off the waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
at least they were quick about it with you. my interview couldn't have gone better and my application as it stood was solid, plus I did pretty much everything I could to improve my application both since applying and since the interview and i sent them updates. as pessimistic as it sounds, if they didn't accept me after all that, I doubt ill get off the waitlist.
I hear you, I'm sure they must have a hard time to make a decision on you that's probably why it took them two months. my interview went well as well so I'm also a little disappointed. But this is getting more and more competitive every year, all we can do is to wait to see and stay positive my friend!

SOrry to hear you were wait listed, user12 and dandelion 12. I know how both of you feel...I'm waitlisted as well and have been for a couple months now. At your interviews or in your letter did you get any news as to when the wait list was going to be ranked? I have a feeling that most people are getting wait listed now because I think the class has been full for several months now. I actually think the class was full as far back of Jan...I could be wrong though...hopefully we will hear about rank soon

Reactions: 1 user
SOrry to hear you were wait listed, user12 and dandelion 12. I know how both of you feel...I'm waitlisted as well and have been for a couple months now. At your interviews or in your letter did you get any news as to when the wait list was going to be ranked? I have a feeling that most people are getting wait listed now because I think the class has been full for several months now. I actually think the class was full as far back of Jan...I could be wrong though...hopefully we will hear about rank soon
They said that they will give me an update of the ranking in the next few months! Hang in there!

I heard from a friend (who works in a lab at the health center) that they've reached their quota of acceptances to hand out, which could be why so many of us got waitlisted post-Feb. Hopefully people will withdraw/decline and there will be significant movement off the waitlist!

i don't know, I think that's kinda stupid they did that. like, they know it's a LONG application cycle. they should anticipate that theyll still have plenty of qualified applicants later into the year and hold off giving out so many acceptances early on.

Reactions: 1 users
Got the official pre-interview rejection today. No surprise there. Good luck!

Hey everyone! If anyone currently on the wait list hears anything or knows anything regarding rank, available spots, or movement from the list please post so we can all be up to date on whats going on. Also please post if you have an acceptance to UCONN and are pretty sure you will be withdrawing and attending another med school. Thanks!

Reactions: 3 users
All you guys on the waitlist, have you/will you be sending LOIs?

i already sent them one before they made their decision- i guess it didnt help. i sent them everything i had to push for a straight acceptance instead of saving some stuff to get off the waitlist. maybe that was a bad idea. now i dont really have much to say except "yeah... so im STILL interested in your school"

i already sent them one before they made their decision- i guess it didnt help. i sent them everything i had to push for a straight acceptance instead of saving some stuff to get off the waitlist. maybe that was a bad idea. now i dont really have much to say except "yeah... so im STILL interested in your school"
Does anyone know when do they usually email ppl about the ranking on the list?

Members don't see this ad :)

I am currently on the waitlist, and I sent the admissions committee a LOI after being waitlisted. Sent the email to both Zeff (neuron email) as well as the general [email protected] email. Didn't hear anything back from them (no confirmation of receipt or anything). I will echo what I have heard from other on this thread as well as current students that UCONN is not as open to application updates as other schools, so if you are going to say something make sure it' s a concise, strong letter of continued interest.

I am currently on the waitlist, and I sent the admissions committee a LOI after being waitlisted. Sent the email to both Zeff (neuron email) as well as the general [email protected] email. Didn't hear anything back from them (no confirmation of receipt or anything). I will echo what I have heard from other on this thread as well as current students that UCONN is not as open to application updates as other schools, so if you are going to say something make sure it' s a concise, strong letter of continued interest.

When I sent in my LOI to the [email protected] email, I got an automatic? reply saying that my email has been received.

Can a current student let us know how the class is looking as of now/if they are anticipating a lot of WL movement?

Reactions: 5 users
Has anyone received their financial aid package yet? Getting pretty close to the May 15th deadline ...

Has anyone received their financial aid package yet? Getting pretty close to the May 15th deadline ...

Current students also have not received. Last year prospective students got their packages around May 3 or 4. I know the financial aid office had issues with accessing FAFSA information so that may have slightly delayed the process.

You'll get it before May 15.

Have any of my fellow alternates received updates from admissions?

Have any of my fellow alternates received updates from admissions?

Nooope D: Waiting til after May 15, since I figure that's when we'd be most likely to hear.

Last year's alternates were informed of their ranking on the waitlist on May 15 and that's when all of the movement off the list started to occur, according to an earlier post on this thread. Does anyone know approximately how many people are on the alternate list right now? Because UConn's website says that they generally extend acceptances to about the top third of the list every year.

I perused through last year's forum, and it seemed like an official alternate ranking email was never sent. Instead, people personally called the admissions office towards the end of May.

I just called admissions. They said they will be sending an e-mail out with official rankings and that they are hoping to send them out if not by the end of this week, then early next week!

Reactions: 4 users
I just called admissions. They said they will be sending an e-mail out with official rankings and that they are hoping to send them out if not by the end of this week, then early next week!

nice

that is great news ! Just a few more days of waiting then .. :whistle:

anyone hear anything yet?....and do any current students know if there are any spots in the class available after the May 15th multiple acceptance deadline or if movement from the wait list is anticipated? Thanks!

anyone hear anything yet?....and do any current students know if there are any spots in the class available after the May 15th multiple acceptance deadline or if movement from the wait list is anticipated? Thanks!

Just received notification yesterday that I was let in off the high alternate waitlist! put in my deposit, i'm officially c/o 2018 for uconn! good luck to everyone else still waiting to hear back - one of my friends last year didn't find out until two weeks before classes started!

Just received notification yesterday that I was let in off the high alternate waitlist! put in my deposit, i'm officially c/o 2018 for uconn! good luck to everyone else still waiting to hear back - one of my friends last year didn't find out until two weeks before classes started!
Same here, got the email this morning, just couldnt believe this is true! So happy, def one of the best days in my life! Good luck to everyone else, dont lose hope, Im sure you will all hear some good news soon!

Congrats on getting a seat in the class! Did you receive an email first letting you know where on the wait list you were? I thought admissions told someone we were going to receive an email with a rank.

Congrats on getting a seat in the class! Did you receive an email first letting you know where on the wait list you were? I thought admissions told someone we were going to receive an email with a rank.
They emailed me this morning I thought its the email thats regarding the ranking, then I see "acceptance" I was like I couldnt believe this is happening so I had several ppl in my lab read the email for me to make sure its real lol. And in the email they are saying "Within the next few days, we will be mailing you a formal acceptance letter from the Admissions Office at the University of Connecticut School of Medicine." Good luck to everyone thats still waiting for an acceptance!

anyone know how many people total are on the waitlist? and do they rank the waitlist in thirds or halves? like if you're on the high waitlist, are you in the top half or the top third?

anyone know how many people total are on the waitlist? and do they rank the waitlist in thirds or halves? like if you're on the high waitlist, are you in the top half or the top third?
I don't think any of us have a clue. UConn has been great at keeping us waiting with no communication. I'm over it, I am not sure Uconns expensive in state price tag is not enough to keep me from a better more friendly school.

Last edited:
I thought someone said we were suppose to here our rank on the wait list this week. This has been extremely frustrating because this is by far my number one choice school and I really would like to know if there is even a possibility of getting in off the wait list...some clue as to the number of people on the wait list would also be very helpful

I thought someone said we were suppose to here our rank on the wait list this week. This has been extremely frustrating because this is by far my number one choice school and I really would like to know if there is even a possibility of getting in off the wait list...some clue as to the number of people on the wait list would also be very helpful

I posted earlier in this thread that it's usually 150 people on the waitlist. 50 people in the first tier, about the top third or a bit more of the first tier eventually are offered acceptances.

I definitely agree that UConn is not kind to people on its waitlist.

Has anyone made any contact with the admissions office regarding rank on the wait list and/ or wait list movement? I have already emailed them several times throughout this waiting process and haven't really gotten any response. I would think admissions would understand that by them not letting us know where we stand it is difficult to make any definitive plans for next year.

Has anyone heard anything more about waitlist/tiers/etc.?

Has anyone heard anything more about waitlist/tiers/etc.?

im on the high waitlist, I called them up. the new secretary is incredibly nice. I don't know if that's all that great or not, but I guess it's better than being on the low waitlist. I really hope I get accepted. if they accept me, ill go. like, if they e mailed me at 2 pm, they'd have my deposit by 3 pm.

Keladry, I think we need to either email or call admissions to find out where we stand on the wait list, the don't think admissions is planning on sending an official email to everyone. I found out that I am also on the high wait list....seems like a lot of us are. If anyone finds out anything from admissions regarding wait list movement or potential movement please share :)

When I contacted admissions I was told there really wasn't any movement on the list right now...it seems like in previous years there were little surges of movement closer to orientation in late July

Keladry, I think we need to either email or call admissions to find out where we stand on the wait list, the don't think admissions is planning on sending an official email to everyone. I found out that I am also on the high wait list....seems like a lot of us are. If anyone finds out anything from admissions regarding wait list movement or potential movement please share :)
+1

Planning on calling Monday. Thanks for the info. :)

does anyone know if WL movement (if any this year) occurs on a certain day of the week?

So I am assuming that no one has heard anything regarding wait list movement

Has anyone spoken or contacted anyone in the admissions office recently?

I spoke with Dr. Zeff last week and he just said there has been virtually no movement on the waitlist so far this summer. Unfortunately I didn't get any indication about how full the class is (how many are committed to UConn).