2013-2014 University of Kentucky Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone want to share stats anonymously about applying to UK. I have a 3.5 GPA and a 29 MCAT and I was in the army. Anyone hear anything interesting about other applicants.

Will be applying as OOS with 3.55cGPA, 3.72sGPA, 31 (10,11,10).

Any other OOS applicants? By the way, I dont have any ties to the state.

Members don't see this ad :)
can anyone tell me if they give any leniency towards oos Ohio residents?

Surprising number of OOS applicants here. Do you have ties to the state or region?

I'm from KY, 31 MCAT, 3.8 GPA. Good luck to all applying!

I'm out-of-state but was born in Kentucky and my dad played baseball for UK in undergrad.

Stats
  • White female
  • 22 years old
  • B.S. awarded May 2013
  • 3.65 cGPA
  • 3.53 sGPA
  • 29Q MCAT (but was getting 31-33 in practice so I'm re-taking on 7/2)

Extracurriculars
  • Camp counselor for children from low-income, inner-city families for two summers
  • One summer of clinical shadowing/assisting
  • Two summers of research, including co-author on [pending] review article and abstract
  • Clinical volunteering with underserved individuals for ~5 months
  • Non-clinical volunteering with physically/mentally handicapped children ~once/month for past 2 years
  • ~3 years of activity in my university's Equestrian Club - riding instructor, trainer, active member
  • Studied abroad for a month - primarily clinical exposure

Best of luck to everyone! =]

Last edited:
Hey folks,

OOS, strong ties to Kentucky - 3.6 postbacc GPA, non traditional, 32 MCAT.

Wishing everyone the best! One of my top three.

Secondary received! It asks for a picture? For some reason, I never thought about that. It wants a 3x2 face shot.

Applying with a 4.0/ 37 but a Canadian applicant. I heard the school accepts a good number of internationals each year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Applying with a 4.0/ 37 but a Canadian applicant. I heard the school accepts a good number of internationals each year.

With stats like that, I'm sure you'll have a very good chance as long as you interview well.

I'm applying here. From KY but lived in Boston for close to ten years. Family still lives there, and I own land. Probably still considered OOS though.

cGPA 3.88
sGPA 4.0
MCAT 31 (10,11,10)

Submitted AMCAS late June.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using SDN Mobile

Anyone willing to post prompts?
1. How would you describe your ability to use unscheduled time during the day for learning?

2. What competencies and qualities should a physician possess for practice in the 21st century?

3. Describe the most significant community service activity in which you have participated. How did it affect you?

4. Describe an experience or situation which made you feel grateful.

5. In providing patient care, should physicians maintain emotional distance or empathize with patients’ emotional states? As a physician, how would you deal with your own emotions?

6. Describe a situation in your undergraduate education when you felt alive and engaged in learning.

7. Please share unique, personally important, and/or challenging facts in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, or life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine

Additional Essay, Out of State Applicants ONLY:
This is an opportunity to describe more about yourself to the Admissions Committee. The Personal Comments section of the AMCAS application is not an acceptable substitute. In the essay, please address the following points:
Reasons for selecting a medical career;
Things you have done to prepare yourself for a medical education and career;
Personal characteristics and other accomplishments and experiences that you feel help qualify you for the practice of medicine; and,
Why you chose to apply to the University of Kentucky College of Medicine.
Please elaborate on any Kentucky ties: personal, familial, etc.

Can't find any instructions about a possible character limit, but the box let me paste in about 10,000 characters without any warnings, so I assume no limit?

Should I be worried if I have yet to receive the secondary? I'm OOS..

Should I be worried if I have yet to receive the secondary? I'm OOS..

No, I don't think you should worry. It seems there is no sort of screening process, I received mine before my AMCAS was even reviewed. Probably just processing taking some extra time.

Are u guys just relisting your courses again on page one? Or are they asking us to only fill out the courses that were recommended like biochem/cell bio? They left three spaces for each subject, and I've had a lot more than three bio courses.

Can't find any instructions about a possible character limit, but the box let me paste in about 10,000 characters without any warnings, so I assume no limit?

My answers have been pretty short so far. Around 10 sentences really, I feel if I typed anymore I would be rambling. ~1500 characters per answer I think. How about you guys?

My answers have been pretty short so far. Around 10 sentences really, I feel if I typed anymore I would be rambling. ~1500 characters per answer I think. How about you guys?
Same, 1500-3000 characters seems to be the acceptable range for most schools. I got that 10,000 number from pasting part of a massive research paper in there, just to check if there was a limit. I'm guessing that actually writing 10,000 characters would probably be a bad idea for these essays :)

Same, 1500-3000 characters seems to be the acceptable range for most schools. I got that 10,000 number from pasting part of a massive research paper in there, just to check if there was a limit. I'm guessing that actually writing 10,000 characters would probably be a bad idea for these essays :)

Thanks for the input! On the coursework stuff (page one) how did u decide which courses to list? It asked us to list any psy or sociology stuff we've had, but gave us no room to put that. And I've had much more than three bio courses which is all it gave us room for.

I basically interpreted that page as a quick way for them to make sure that you meet the prerequisites before they take a more in-depth look at your supplemental courses via your transcript. So in that space I just listed the courses that made up my year of bio, gchem, ochem, physics, and English, and clicked the boxes to indicate that I took cell bio/sociology/etc. I figured that they will scrutinize my transcript for those "suggested" classes once they use my secondary to make sure that I meet the minimum requirements.

If there are some classes you really wanted to highlight, maybe you could use some space in essay prompt #2 to do that? Like "I think physicians should have X competency, so I took X class to develop that skill." Dunno how to phrase it so it sounds good, but that would be one way to do it if you wanted :)

Good luck all!

KY resident:
-3.96 gpa
-34 MCAT (11,11,12)

Will be submitting application soon. How long after submitting did you guys have to wait to get your secondary?

A couple of days after being verified by AMCAS.

A quick question about OOS essay question:

1. This description:
"Reasons for selecting a medical career;
Things you have done to prepare yourself for a medical education and career;
Personal characteristics and other accomplishments and experiences that you feel help qualify you for the practice of medicine"

sounds very similar to what we are supposed to write on our primary application. Yet, the question states that "The Personal Comments section of the AMCAS application is not an acceptable substitute." ... Does this mean that we should describe activities that are not mentioned in the primary application?

2. Also, when they ask you to describe my ties to U of Kentucky College of Medicine, can I describe my experience living in an area close to Kentucky (but not necessarily the state of Kentucky)? I lived for several years in a rural area, and U of Kentucky and the surrounding area seems great, which is one of my reasons for applying here.

Never mind guys, I submitted

Last edited:
OOS, literally 0 ties to Kentucky, 3.65 cGPA/sGPA, 37 MCAT. Let's see how this goes.

Anyone gotten a secondary invitation from out of state? I received an email from them today asking to declare ties to KY as an oos applicant.

Last edited:
I'm OOS with no connections too. I'm still waiting for my application to be verified by AMCAS and haven't received an invitation for secondaries. Is this normal?

I'm OOS with no connections too. I'm still waiting for my application to be verified by AMCAS and haven't received an invitation for secondaries. Is this normal?
I'm guessing that verification is the issue. UKY is a state school and does screen OOS applicants, which they can't do until they have your cGPA and sGPA processed by AMCAS.

I haven't been verified yet and already submitted my secondary. I'm OOS. But, I live in a neighboring state..I still felt obliged to fill out the OOS essay though, even though it was largely repetitive of the question before it.

When did you apply? They might be sending out the secondary app in batches because I don't think they screen at all.

I haven't been verified yet and already submitted my secondary. I'm OOS. But, I live in a neighboring state..I still felt obliged to fill out the OOS essay though, even though it was largely repetitive of the question before it.

When did you apply? They might be sending out the secondary app in batches because I don't think they screen at all.

Incorrect, they do screen OOS students. I interviewed here last year and have friends from OOS that applied and were rejected pre-secondary.

Secondary is in! Good luck to all who apply. Still waiting on my letter packet to arrive though, assuming they won't review me until then?

My current status is "interview to be scheduled". This means I'm getting an interview correct? Also, in state students that get interviews are very likely to get accepted (granted they don't totally screw up the interview), correct?

My current status is "interview to be scheduled". This means I'm getting an interview correct? Also, in state students that get interviews are very likely to get accepted (granted they don't totally screw up the interview), correct?

I'd say that's an incoming II from the sound of it.

Also, interviewed applicants from IS have a 48% chance of being offered an acceptance, according to US News.

Took the MCAT on July and still waiting for score but ive been thinking that i didnt do so good. Any words of advice or consollation will be good. What are my chances of being accepted if i have a 3.9 science GPA, alot of research and job shadowing hours, and say a 27 on the MCAT??. 27 is the lowest im hoping to get and 30 should be the most i think ill get.

II, scheduled for 11 Oct for the RPLP! So excited.

Last edited:
did you get an email from Ms. Rankin today about RPLP interview sign ups letting you know the interview is scheduled for two days ? Also, you can switch to MD interview if you had initially selected RPLP?

II, scheduled for 11 Oct for the RPLP! So excited.

did you get an email from Ms. Rankin today about RPLP interview sign ups letting you know the interview is scheduled for two days ? Also, you can switch to MD interview if you had initially selected RPLP? Also is it harder getting accepted to the RPLP than regular MD?

Just finished the first six essays for this secondary today. Still have that dreaded OOS essay to write. It seems like they want an AMCAS style PS, but with none of the same information. Sigh.

On the other hand, I got news that I might qualify for IS status because of my family! Sending in a residency request form tomorrow. They were super helpful on the phone.

did you get an email from Ms. Rankin today about RPLP interview sign ups letting you know the interview is scheduled for two days ? Also, you can switch to MD interview if you had initially selected RPLP? Also is it harder getting accepted to the RPLP than regular MD?

The only email I received is the same one everyone will get that receives an II. However, since I applied RPLP on AMCAS and the Secondary, I knew to schedule the appointment on the RPLP dates only. The interview dates are identified as EDP, MD, and RPLP. If you sign up for the Friday RPLP date, you are automatically assumed to have the Saturday slot with it.

And sorry, I don't know anything about switching your preferences between regular MD and RPLP. And I have no idea which is harder to get accepted into. I just know that I have an interest in Rural and Family Medicine. Hope this helps, but I'd call and ask for specifics if you want to ask about your own situation.

Still haven't received this secondary yet. OOS

What are your stats?

I'm interviewing on Oct 8. Anyone interested in sharing a double queen room (female) in University Inn (very close to campus), please message me.

I'm out-of-state but was born in Kentucky and my dad played baseball for UK in undergrad.

Stats
  • White female
  • 22 years old
  • B.S. awarded May 2013
  • 3.65 cGPA
  • 3.53 sGPA
  • 29Q MCAT (but was getting 31-33 in practice so I'm re-taking on 7/2)

Extracurriculars
  • Camp counselor for children from low-income, inner-city families for two summers
  • One summer of clinical shadowing/assisting
  • Two summers of research, including co-author on [pending] review article and abstract
  • Clinical volunteering with underserved individuals for ~5 months
  • Non-clinical volunteering with physically/mentally handicapped children ~once/month for past 2 years
  • ~3 years of activity in my university's Equestrian Club - riding instructor, trainer, active member
  • Studied abroad for a month - primarily clinical exposure

Best of luck to everyone! =]
Hey there. I also just graduated with a bachelors in May. Did you apply last year at all, or is this your first cycle?