2013-2014 University of Kentucky Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm IS and waiting for my AMCAS to be reviewed. I haven't received a secondary yet. I had heard that in state students automatically receive a secondary, so I'm surprised that I haven't yet received one. Anyone else in this situation? Or did IS people receive a secondary soon after submission of AMCAS (but before it was verified)?

Yea, like you quoted, I got secondary before being verified and before my letters were all in. I've always heard they don't screen in-state but don't take me 100% on that. If you can verify that, maybe you could email admis?

Members don't see this ad.

I got an interview invite here last Friday! I'm OOS with loose ties to KY. I got the invite just a few days after submitting the secondary, which was a surprise! The first available date was in January. Looking forward to visiting Lexington in 2014! :)

I had the "interview to be scheduled" status for about a week. I sent the admissions office an email about it, and they responded with a link to the website where you can schedule the interview.

If you don't mind, how long were you seeing the "interview to be scheduled' status before you emailed them? I have that status, and I'm trying to decide if I should go ahead and email them, or wait for a bit.

Edit: It took about a day to get the email to schedule after I saw the status change, just in case anyone is wondering.

Have to wait until January to interview though.....can't say I'm excited about that.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
"After careful consideration, the Committee has decided to defer a final decision on your application pending further comparison with other out of state applicants."

Yea I got that today. Anyone know anymore details about this status? Essential rejection?

OOS II yesterday. Just one day after file was complete. Status says "Interview offered". Don't know when.

Last edited:
OOS II today.

Submitted 9/30
II 10/2
Scheduled (earliest) 2/4/14

Good luck everyone and have a pleasant day. :)

Last edited:
For those of us interviewing in January are we basically interviewing for a waitlist spot since the class will be filled or is it still possible to get an acceptance? Either way I am so pumped to have an ii here!!

From what it sounds like, we are interviewing for a wait-list position.

From what it sounds like, we are interviewing for a wait-list position.

Just like most other schools, they do have to give out a lot more acceptances than they will matriculate, so I think it would be possible to get an acceptance from a January interview. UK is a rolling admissions school, but I think they are a little slower with their admissions pace than others. I could be wrong, but that's what I've heard.

If anyone has any other insight, feel free to share......

I was accepted Early Decision! Found out via phone call the day the committee met concerning the applicants of my interview date. It was about 2 and a half weeks after my interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted Early Decision! Found out via phone call the day the committee met concerning the applicants of my interview date. It was about 2 and a half weeks after my interview.

This was after August 1st, correct? Since that's the earliest candidates could know for early decision. I'm stuck waiting until the 16th where I'm a normal applicant to find out :(

Oh yea, I forgot... Congratulations!! Hopefully I'll hear good news next week and we'll be future classmates!

Oh yea, I forgot... Congratulations!! Hopefully I'll hear good news next week and we'll be future classmates!

Thank you! I hope you hear good news as well!!

This was after August 1st, correct? Since that's the earliest candidates could know for early decision. I'm stuck waiting until the 16th where I'm a normal applicant to find out :(

Yes it was early September. Hope you hear some good news too!

Do you guys think we'll hear about acceptances tomorrow or on the 16th? I know last year it was the 16th, but I'm kind of hoping we hear tomorrow!

Has anyone heard anything yet?

Nope. They said we won't hear anything until tomorrow (the 16th). We actually have to call in and see what our status is. It's not like they even email us :(

They told us we wouldn't hear anything until the 18th

They told us we wouldn't hear anything until the 18th
Strange. They told us to call on the 16th, and I double checked with a friend who is on the committee as well and he told me the 16th.

My aPp is on hold. I was First interview date and oos but lived in ky previously.

^did you call? My status says "Interview(s) Completed", so I don't know if a decision was made or not

^thanks for the reply. My app is on hold as well.

Last edited:
b05010445, thanks for the reply. My app is on hold as well.

Dang, I wonder what's going on here. I'm on hold as well. I emailed Kim Scott and she said the earliest date they would review hold applicants would be sometime in December.

****- are we all out of state? Is this a residency thing?

OOS, neighboring state though

...so does this mean we are waitlisted? Or can hold lead to acceptance/waitlist/rejection? I'll ask my friend who's a current first year who was also put on hold I think

To those of you that called, when did you interview? Does your status say "Interview Completed" or Decision Made?

Interviewed 9/10. I have no idea where you even check your status. OOS by the way.

Not a wait list, that forms in spring. Basically they want to see who else is gonna come in before the accept or reject us. Waiting to see if better is coming along....

Have a lot of people heard? Is there a Facebook group for class of 2018?

I found out about my acceptance yesterday. I say "found out" because I received a congratulatory email from someone who wasn't on the adcom, prompting me to call and get the good news :). I'm OOS.

I found out about my acceptance yesterday. I say "found out" because I received a congratulatory email from someone who wasn't on the adcom, prompting me to call and get the good news :). I'm OOS.

Congratulations!! Is this school your top choice or are you waiting on others?

Accepted! Got a phone call today (interviewed last week).

So I just got accepted on the 15th (YAY!). I was called by one of my interviewers with the news. Now I have two questions:

1. How do we verify our intent to accept? I know that we are supposed to be getting a letter in the mail with the details, but I haven't gotten it yet. The UK website says we have a week to get that done after we're accepted, but that doesn't leave much time for the letter to get to us and for us to mail it back.

2. Does anyone have a list of our interviewers? I think we got one when we visited but I can't find it now.

Hey guys, I interview here in a few weekends. Any tips? What's the interview like?

Same here, any suggestions or specific questions that were stumpers?

No just know your amcas application very well and be able to articulate the experiences you had and what you took from them. It was a really basic interview.

No just know your amcas application very well and be able to articulate the experiences you had and what you took from them. It was a really basic interview.

That sounds easy enough, thanks for the input!

Accepted! A top choice for me.

Does anyone know where most med students live in Lexington?

Does anyone know where most med students live in Lexington?
Most live really close to campus; there are a few properties close by COM although our classes are in the hospital now. It is about a 7- minute walk. Some with families live far; a few live in downtown. There is definitely a fair amount of people driving into school. I hate driving and honestly in the very first block, you do need to go to cadaver lab very frequently so living too far is not a great idea in my opinion.

Same here, any suggestions or specific questions that were stumpers?
Take it easy. UK interview day is super short and sweet. Two interviews are literally back to back (at least for me). I am a first year now. Honestly, from my personal experience, I still think MCAT and GPA are super important. Interviews with preclude those who have horrible social skills but most likely, it is not going to hurt or benefit you tremendously. It is a little hard to imagine someone getting in just because a stunning interview ( it could) but I am only speaking from my experience and might be highly/ strongly biased.

Most live really close to campus; there are a few properties close by COM although our classes are in the hospital now. It is about a 7- minute walk. Some with families live far; a few live in downtown. There is definitely a fair amount of people driving into school. I hate driving and honestly in the very first block, you do need to go to cadaver lab very frequently so living too far is not a great idea in my opinion.

Ok, thanks. Are those properties large apartment complexes or individual houses and apartments? Any specific places?

Ok, thanks. Are those properties large apartment complexes or individual houses and apartments? Any specific places?
I would say most are apartment complexes with individual rooms, like red roof inn. These apartments can have one, two or three bedrooms. I did notice that there are some houses and I think some of my classmates live there too. I do want to tell you the apts near school are either inexpensive (500- 600 one bed) and old or nice and expensive (900-1000 one bed). There are several much newer properties a little far from the hospital, like university village, newton crossing, campus court but they are more expensive and requires more time for transportation.