2013-2014 University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone have a link for the Facebook page for the entering class? All I found online was the second look page.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have a link for the Facebook page for the entering class? All I found online was the second look page.
PM'd (it seems like the second look Facebook group and the entering class group are the same thing - at least for now).

Reactions: 1 users
I feel like a broken record here, but anyone have any guesses as to when the next round of acceptances (if there will be any...) is? The wait is getting unbearable :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Ya, I thought it might be today. Guess not.

Thought I'd let you guys know that my status changed from first tier wait list to accepted today. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
After 2 application cycles and 10 wait-lists (including this one), I finally got my first acceptance. This is the happiest I've been in so long!

Reactions: 8 users
After 2 application cycles and 10 wait-lists (including this one), I finally got my first acceptance. This is the happiest I've been in so long!
Awesome! Congrats!

Reactions: 1 user
Withdrew my spot from the 1st tier today...hoping more WL folks get in soon!

Also, congrats to everyone accepted so far! Besides Cardiac Hill, PITT is amazing ;)

Reactions: 3 users
Haha, I think the Cardiac Hill is good for Pitt's students/staff health :D Looking forward to getting in shape.

First acceptance! So exited, anyone have a link to the FB group? Also what do we do to confirm our spot?

Reactions: 3 users
I'm especially happy for accepted people who are reapplicants, for whom this is their first acceptance, and/or for whom Pitt is the absolute first choice! Kudos to Pitt for making people happy today :)

Awesome! Congrats!

Thanks! Now I just need to get onto the FB group ...

From the Pitt Med website it seems that Second Look is on April 25th ... is that just that one day? I have travel plans that weekend but I just bought my tickets (literally 2 hours before I got accepted) so I can still cancel since it's within 24 hours.

Thanks! Now I just need to get onto the FB group ...

From the Pitt Med website it seems that Second Look is on April 25th ... is that just that one day? I have travel plans that weekend but I just bought my tickets (literally 2 hours before I got accepted) so I can still cancel since it's within 24 hours.

There's some optional stuff night of the 24th. Bar, apartment tour, meet the students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted off of the first-tier waitlist!! Could someone possibly send me a link to the facebook group? :)

Pitt asks for copies of tax returns and other form for financial aid by April 16th. Where am I supposed to send these forms?
I don't really know the answer to your question, but I went full blown premed neurotic on them and sent my documents by mail, fax and email (scanned pdf) :D I guess I could have just called them and asked... :p

Office of Admissions & Financial Aid

University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine

518 Scaife Hall

3550 Terrace Street

Pittsburgh, PA 15261

Phone: (412) 648-9891

Fax: (412) 648-8768

Students should send general inquires and questions to

financial_aid @ medschool. pitt. edu

Would someone mind sending me the link to the FB page? Also, how can I learn about second-look? Is there a website or does it come in the mail? Thanks!

Just got accepted off the first Tier waitlist last night. Have a quick question, Pitt asks for copies of tax returns and other form for financial aid by April 16th. Where am I supposed to send these forms? Thanks a lot guys! Going to be a tough choice and am hoping Fin Aid will help me decide.
I called the Admissions office and they said you can send it to the admissions email. That's [email protected]

So many forms to scan.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend Pitt's second look :( However, my interview day was very informative (quite possibly the most informative of all my interviews) and I think I got a really good feel of the school (and loved it!), so I guess it's OK for me not to go to the second look. Still, I'd like to revisit Pittsburgh before making my final decision. Would any of Pitt students or acceptees residing in Pittsburgh be willing to meet me for breakfast/lunch/dinner/coffee/drink/ice cream/whatever in Oakland/Shadyside/Squirrel Hill/any other popular neighborhood on Saturday, May 10th? It's my treat! (though I have to warn you I'm not a fan of fancy expensive restaurants :p) If you're interested, please PM me.

Got accepted off the first tier list as well.
I sent two main application updates, one after my interview and another one after my fall semester.
And could someone send me the link to facebook page as well? thank you :)

Congrats all!

Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend Pitt's second look :( However, my interview day was very informative (quite possibly the most informative of all my interviews) and I think I got a really good feel of the school (and loved it!), so I guess it's OK for me not to go to the second look. Still, I'd like to revisit Pittsburgh before making my final decision. Would any of Pitt students or acceptees residing in Pittsburgh be willing to meet me for breakfast/lunch/dinner/coffee/drink/ice cream/whatever in Oakland/Shadyside/Squirrel Hill/any other popular neighborhood on Saturday, May 10th? It's my treat! (though I have to warn you I'm not a fan of fancy expensive restaurants :p) If you're interested, please PM me.

Your best bet may be to find one of the MS1s, as they should be free that weekend. Unfortunately I'll be on rotations, and I think I have to work that Saturday (not positive yet though).

Booking my plane ticket for second look ... I want to be there for all of Friday but I have to be back on the west coast by Saturday afternoon, so the flight I'm looking at departs at 6:30am on Saturday. :confused: Are there any good options to get to the airport that early from Pitt, or should I stay at a hotel near the airport Friday night? I could try to get it covered by work because I need to be back for a conference.

Your best bet may be to find one of the MS1s, as they should be free that weekend. Unfortunately I'll be on rotations, and I think I have to work that Saturday (not positive yet though).
Thank you for your response! I think I'll contact the second look organizers to see if they could suggest anyone and I'll raise this topic here again closer to the date because many people don't know exactly what they'll be doing in more than a month :)

Booking my plane ticket for second look ... I want to be there for all of Friday but I have to be back on the west coast by Saturday afternoon, so the flight I'm looking at departs at 6:30am on Saturday. :confused: Are there any good options to get to the airport that early from Pitt, or should I stay at a hotel near the airport Friday night? I could try to get it covered by work because I need to be back for a conference.

You can take the first 28X in the morning (comes ~4:30am to 5th and Atwood, but there are other stops depending on where you're staying), which should get you to the airport before 5:30am. Check the schedule:
http://www.portauthority.org/paac/apps/pdfs/28X.pdf

The 28X is much cheaper than a cab, and cabs in Pittsburgh aren't very reliable. There is also a super shuttle that you can reserve, but I haven't used that.

Or take 28X the night before after all the events are done. That way you won't have to get up at 4am... Plus hotels near the airport should be cheaper than Oakland's.

FYI Second Look weekend is also Pitt's graduation weekend, so hotels in and around Oakland have most likely been booked for a while.

Are merit scholarships still being given out?

I know we were told (multiple times on my interview day) that Pitt is true unranked P/F for M1-2.

Can a current student shed any light on how the dean's letter works at Pitt, then?

I spoke last week with a residency program director who said explicitly that ALL schools, graded or P/F, use identifying language that communicates a student's performance relative to their peers.

Does Pitt's Dean's Letter only use clinical grades in this capacity, then, or is there some other element of pre-clinical scorekeeping going on as well?

I know we were told (multiple times on my interview day) that Pitt is true unranked P/F for M1-2.

Can a current student shed any light on how the dean's letter works at Pitt, then?

I spoke last week with a residency program director who said explicitly that ALL schools, graded or P/F, use identifying language that communicates a student's performance relative to their peers.

Does Pitt's Dean's Letter only use clinical grades in this capacity, then, or is there some other element of pre-clinical scorekeeping going on as well?

There's internal ranking for the first 2 years (very few P/F schools are true P/F) but from what I was told by my advisory dean, the actual rank isn't reported. Whatever words they use to describe your performance are geared so that it's as positive as possible. And also, clinical grades matter >>>>>>>>> than preclinical grades.

Last edited:
Anyone know when financial aid decisions are released? I know the forms etc aren't due until April 16th, but I'm just curious how soon we will find out. Thanks!

Anyone know when financial aid decisions are released? I know the forms etc aren't due until April 16th, but I'm just curious how soon we will find out. Thanks!

My year it was May 1. I believe they try to get them to you ~2 weeks before May 15.

Really hard decision but withdrawing my acceptance in lieu of another school. Hope that means some more movement for Tier 1's!

Really hard decision but withdrawing my acceptance in lieu of another school. Hope that means some more movement for Tier 1's!
Ditto! I just pulled my application as well! Good luck to all of you!!

I feel like I'm jinxing myself here by posting a lot but... any news anyone? Nothing here on my part :(

Hey guys, I'm gonna be matriculating to Pitt this fall and am very excited! I am considering getting a tablet for medical school and have a few questions that I hope some current students can answer:

1. Is having a tablet useful with Pitt's coursework? Do most current students take notes on tablets, laptops, or notebooks?

2. I personally prefer android, but I have read on some older forums that the medical applications are far better on apple products. Is this still true? Would it be wiser to get an ipad?

3. Are you able to access UPMC's EMRs through both android and iOS or is it only compatible with one of them?

Thanks in advance!

Hey guys, I'm gonna be matriculating to Pitt this fall and am very excited! I am considering getting a tablet for medical school and have a few questions that I hope some current students can answer:

1. Is having a tablet useful with Pitt's coursework? Do most current students take notes on tablets, laptops, or notebooks?

2. I personally prefer android, but I have read on some older forums that the medical applications are far better on apple products. Is this still true? Would it be wiser to get an ipad?

3. Are you able to access UPMC's EMRs through both android and iOS or is it only compatible with one of them?

Thanks in advance!

1. Opinions on the usefulness of tablets vary during MS1-MS2. Some people use tablets or laptops to do their notes, other just write in the syllabi. I come from the writing in the syllabus category. I rarely brought my laptop to school, and I don't have a tablet.

2. In MS3, I have a few apps on my phone (Android) and have used 3 on a relatively consistent basis. Given the ubiquity of both Android and iOS mobiles now, most popular apps come for both OS. Also, you need to pay for Anki on iOS. If you plan to use Anki consistently, it is well worth the $$ for the app on iOS. It is free on Android though.

3. I think the UPMC EMR is only accessible via iOS right now, but I can't confirm this because I don't use a tablet on the wards. I've only seen iOS devices though while rounding. Again, since the EMR is not at all designed for tablets, the usefulness of a tablet on the wards is limited to looking up lab values if you don't have a COW (=computer on wheels [or WOW to be more politically correct]) with you.

TL;DR - Buying a tablet is not necessary but may be somewhat useful as an accessory.

Anyone know if anyone gets off 2nd tier waitlist? Are there just two tiers or more?

1. Opinions on the usefulness of tablets vary during MS1-MS2. Some people use tablets or laptops to do their notes, other just write in the syllabi. I come from the writing in the syllabus category. I rarely brought my laptop to school, and I don't have a tablet.

2. In MS3, I have a few apps on my phone (Android) and have used 3 on a relatively consistent basis. Given the ubiquity of both Android and iOS mobiles now, most popular apps come for both OS. Also, you need to pay for Anki on iOS. If you plan to use Anki consistently, it is well worth the $$ for the app on iOS. It is free on Android though.

3. I think the UPMC EMR is only accessible via iOS right now, but I can't confirm this because I don't use a tablet on the wards. I've only seen iOS devices though while rounding. Again, since the EMR is not at all designed for tablets, the usefulness of a tablet on the wards is limited to looking up lab values if you don't have a COW (=computer on wheels [or WOW to be more politically correct]) with you.

TL;DR - Buying a tablet is not necessary but may be somewhat useful as an accessory.

Awesome, thanks for the help!

There are only 2 tiers to the waitlist. As far as the 2nd tier waitlist is concerned, check out last year's forums and see if anyone got in from the 2nd tier. I have looked at the old forums and I do not believe anyone explicitly stated that they came off the 2nd tier waitlist but I may not have been as thorough as I could have been checking the forums. A disclaimer to that strategy is that Pitt's nonrolling admissions process hasn't been in existence for all that long so variations from year to year should be expected. So this year is likely different from last year (especially considering their overenrollement last cycle: this could lead to more waiting as adcoms are more conservative with acceptances and may only draw from waitlists as applicants rescind their acceptances to matriculate elsewhere).

That being said, if you love UPSoM and you really want to matriculate, you should send a letter of INTENT. SERIOUS INTENT. It may not necessarily take you off the waitlist but I am sure that it cannot hurt your chances. When adcoms are looking to fill spots off of the waitlist, they have to consider both (1) the strength of the application and interview and (2) the probability of a student matriculating if given an acceptance. By informing the adcoms that there is a 100% chance of matriculation if an acceptance is granted, I think that you can only potentially help your chances.

Best of luck with the waiting game. I know how it feels to be waitlisted at multiple schools without an acceptance. It is not fun being in limbo and it really can take its toll mentally/emotionally. Stay positive and keep yourself busy! If you really really want to attend Pitt, be sure to let the adcoms know! It cannot hurt your chances.

There are only 2 tiers to the waitlist. As far as the 2nd tier waitlist is concerned, check out last year's forums and see if anyone got in from the 2nd tier. I have looked at the old forums and I do not believe anyone explicitly stated that they came off the 2nd tier waitlist but I may not have been as thorough as I could have been checking the forums. A disclaimer to that strategy is that Pitt's nonrolling admissions process hasn't been in existence for all that long so variations from year to year should be expected. So this year is likely different from last year (especially considering their overenrollement last cycle: this could lead to more waiting as adcoms are more conservative with acceptances and may only draw from waitlists as applicants rescind their acceptances to matriculate elsewhere).

That being said, if you love UPSoM and you really want to matriculate, you should send a letter of INTENT. SERIOUS INTENT. It may not necessarily take you off the waitlist but I am sure that it cannot hurt your chances. When adcoms are looking to fill spots off of the waitlist, they have to consider both (1) the strength of the application and interview and (2) the probability of a student matriculating if given an acceptance. By informing the adcoms that there is a 100% chance of matriculation if an acceptance is granted, I think that you can only potentially help your chances.

Best of luck with the waiting game. I know how it feels to be waitlisted at multiple schools without an acceptance. It is not fun being in limbo and it really can take its toll mentally/emotionally. Stay positive and keep yourself busy! If you really really want to attend Pitt, be sure to let the adcoms know! It cannot hurt your chances.
I believe that because of the over enrollment thing they made two tiers starting this year so we have no idea from previous years how this is going to play out.

Actually, they had 2 tiers last year as well (when they overenrolled). But I agree with Pitt being extracautious this year.

Is this year's class going to be smaller with the over-enrollment last year?

So I know this is impossible to predict, but is the consensus that they're still regularly letting waitlisters trickle off? My birthday's next week and that is literally the only thing I want!

Next week is Second Look so I'm not sure if they plan to accept more people before then (as it could get hectic trying to find student hosts for more people etc.). I really have no idea though.

Not only is it Second Look, but it's also undergrad graduation weekend, so last minute hotel reservations for those who can't find hosts would be nonexistent in Oakland. It's unfortunate I am already attending Second Look at another school that weekend, I would love to head back to Pitt and hang out for a bit with friends.