2013-2014 University of Vermont College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Just received mine today. OOS and submitted AMCAS on July 3rd. Relax people, you will get it, they want your money.

Members don't see this ad.

can you post the prompts?

Yup. They are all really short so it's a quick and painless secondary.

A lot of the prompts are very brief and vague and there is a link next to the question that elaborates on what they want. The links bring you to the supplemental application instructions on the web site so I think you can access those even if you don't have the secondary.

Criminal Conviction/Adverse Action Description: 500 characters
(You must disclose everything more serious than a traffic ticket.)

Any speeding tickets within the last 5 years: 200 characters

List residency history from birth. Locations, not exact apartments if you moved within the same city during college. 1000 characters.

Additional information (optional): 1000 characters

What makes you a diverse applicant?: 1000 characters

Members don't see this ad :)
For the diversity question this is the more detailed prompt: We ask that all applying students consider how they may contribute to this climate. As part of the Supplement Application, students are asked: In reflecting on your personal background, talents, opinions and life experiences, how might you contribute to the overall diversity of the UVM COM community?

Yup. They are all really short so it's a quick and painless secondary.

A lot of the prompts are very brief and vague and there is a link next to the question that elaborates on what they want. The links bring you to the supplemental application instructions on the web site so I think you can access those even if you don't have the secondary.

Criminal Conviction/Adverse Action Description: 500 characters
(You must disclose everything more serious than a traffic ticket.)

Any speeding tickets within the last 5 years: 200 characters

List residency history from birth. Locations, not exact apartments if you moved within the same city during college. 1000 characters.

Additional information (optional): 1000 characters

What makes you a diverse applicant?: 1000 characters

thanks! :thumbup:

If I've selected "Yes" for "Pre-Health Advisor/Committee Letter or Packet" should I also list the names of people who contributed to the committee letter? Those fields are not marked as required, so I'm unsure.

Added Vermont to AMCAS today. Awaiting secondary

Still have not received secondary.

What are you guys thinking for the optional essay? I am torn between "why UoV" or greatest challenge.

Secondary submitted. The diversity essay was tough, so few characters. I wish it were like Brown with 3000 characters.

has an californians received secondaries? for vermont...

Members don't see this ad :)
Californian-- I received my secondary today! :)

Texan and I haven't gotten mine either.

Just to clarify, we don't need to check off any math courses for the required coursework section, right?

EDIT: Secondary Submitted 7/23 :)

Last edited:
None of my physics classes came into the list and there doesn't seem to be a place to enter them manually...hmmm.....

Just to clarify, we don't need to check off any math courses for the required coursework section, right?

EDIT: Secondary Submitted 7/23 :)

Nope. Only Bio, Physics, Gen Chem, and O Chem.

NY and I received mine today. :)
I happen to pass by the campus while driving up to Stowe. It was a gorgeous campus!

I went "under review" today! Crossing my fingers for an interview invite in 6-8 weeks!

my status just says, "application received...it'll take 6-8 weeks to process..." is this the equivalent to being complete?

Oregon and received secondary today.

Question: I have a letter packet that includes 5 letters and an individual letter, but the app only includes spaces to list 4 recommenders. Will they still look at all my letters since I am assigning all of them to this school? Also, I have 2 science, 1 non science, and then 3 additional. Do I just pick which additional letter to put in the "optional" box? I obviously want them to read all my letters, but I guess I'm not sure if they will read them all...

1000 characters for a diversity essay... that was rough.

So to answer the question about residency we just list the cities that we lived in?

So to answer the question about residency we just list the cities that we lived in?

I almost submitted with a little narrative about where I lived, but then looked at the instructions again. They ask that you list the years lived there and the population of the city. If you click on the little speech bubble or instructions next to it, you'll see the list at the bottom.

for those people talking about the additional essay if you read there instruction it says list anything they should be aware of, i don't think why u want to go vermont is what there looking for.

dont forget to mention all your tickets in the criminal conviction section...

dont forget to mention all your tickets in the criminal conviction section...

Really? For some reason I thought after I read it I wouldn't have to list mine, which was a stop sign violation.

I tried to go back to the instructions but I can't find them now that I submitted. Can someone post the link?

Really? For some reason I thought after I read it I wouldn't have to list mine, which was a stop sign violation.

I tried to go back to the instructions but I can't find them now that I submitted. Can someone post the link?
http://www.uvm.edu/medicine/admissions/?Page=suppinstructions.html

Parking violations are the only convictions/judgments you are not required to document on the supplemental application. All other convictions/adverse judgments (including moving violations) must be listed and documentation may be required, regardless of the amount of time that has passed. Please note that failure to provide complete and accurate information may provide grounds for disciplinary action, including dismissal or revocation of an offer of admission.

Speeding Tickets: You do not need to list them if they occurred 5 years ago or longer. If they have occurred within the last 5 years you must list them.

Other Convictions: all other convictions/adverse judgments must be listed on the supplemental application and documentation may be required, regardless of the amount of time that has passed. As noted on the Supplemental Application, failure to provide accurate information may provide grounds for disciplinary action, including dismissal or revocation of an offer of admission. Admitted students who enroll at UVM COM will be subject to a criminal background check before the beginning of classes in August 2014.

Can someone clarify whether for the additional info prompt, the instructions say to include anything the university should be aware of or if it's open-ended and we can talk about why vermont?

thanks

Well shoot, I definitely overlooked this. I had a stop sign ticket two years ago and already submitted my secondary- should I just email them?

I'm in the same boat- I emailed them and got a response saying "thank you and we'll add this to your file," or something to that effect. Good luck!

why do you think we need to tell them about speeding tickets? I prob have 2-3 from past 5 years. should I not submit the secondary?

I'm in the same boat- I emailed them and got a response saying "thank you and we'll add this to your file," or something to that effect. Good luck!

Great, sounds pretty straightforward, thanks! :)

I wouldn't stress too much about it. I did a tiny bit of digging and found that 1) out of all professions, doctors are the most likely to get a speeding ticket and, 2) out of all states, Vermont is one of the most likely to ticket you for speeding. Who knows why they're asking this, for all we know it could be to conduct a population study evaluating whether doctors have lead feet. I wouldn't let that deter you for applying!!!

(source: http://www.joetaxpayer.com/26-surprising-facts-about-speeding-tickets/)

What's your status say?

"Your file is complete and has been preliminarily reviewed. You are within a pool of applicants from which an interview may be extended. Please note that this does not guarantee you will be offered an interview and you may not see an update to your status for several months.

Interviews are held on most Tuesdays and Thursdays between mid-September and mid-April. You will be notified via email if you have been selected to interview.

We appreciate your interest in the University of Vermont and your patience with the admissions process." :thumbup:

"Your file is complete and has been preliminarily reviewed. You are within a pool of applicants from which an interview may be extended. Please note that this does not guarantee you will be offered an interview and you may not see an update to your status for several months.

Interviews are held on most Tuesdays and Thursdays between mid-September and mid-April. You will be notified via email if you have been selected to interview.

We appreciate your interest in the University of Vermont and your patience with the admissions process." :thumbup:

+1

my status has been like this since more than a week ago. Didn't know it meant I was "small pooled"!!