2013 Postdoc Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all just wanted to offer some more updates about interview invites:

Stanford CAPS
UC Santa Cruz CAPS
San Jose State University CC
School of the Art Institute of Chicago
University of Illinois, Chicago

Hope people are starting to hear back from more UCCs! I am still waiting on 2 more.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all just wanted to offer some more updates about interview invites:

Stanford CAPS
UC Santa Cruz CAPS
San Jose State University CC
School of the Art Institute of Chicago
University of Illinois, Chicago

Hope people are starting to hear back from more UCCs! I am still waiting on 2 more.

Congrats!!! And thanks for the updates - hoping the news continues to roll in!

OMG I adore this quote! Thank you, my deflated ego needed a laugh today. Many of my sites I interviewed at said they are contacting this week and I'm a bit stressed as I have heard silence since Tuesday.

It seems like cycle never ends! Waiting, excitement, prep, anxiety, deflate, wait, excitement, prep, massive massive anxiety, wait, deflate...

Glad to give you a needed laugh, it's the only way to get through the torture that is this job market!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hahaha, I wish that was my problem! I think I'm suffering from Non-Notification Anxiety. These days and weeks of hearing nothing are really messing with me! :scared:

It'll all come in at once and you'll have been worried for nothing! I believe it! And... it just takes one.:love:

To those who have done VA post-doc interviews....did you wear a suit?
Also, does anyone know if VA post-docs offer maternity leave?

VAs offer FMLA time up to three months/year - I think its three months, which is unpaid, but you can also elect to take future annual leave and/or sick leave which is paid, and you can also combine annual/sick/FMLA throughout your FMLA time. My experience (paternity leave with FMLA as an intern) was that its very flexible, but my HR lady was very knowledgable with the system, so that may have helped.

Send me a PM if you want more details.

Got some answers about negotiating for staff positions and asking for supervision time. PM me if interested!

Has anyone done a job talk? looking for some tips! mine is 45 mins. PM me if so!

Good luck to everyone waiting to hear about the match this morning! :)

VAs offer FMLA time up to three months/year - I think its three months, which is unpaid, but you can also elect to take future annual leave and/or sick leave which is paid, and you can also combine annual/sick/FMLA throughout your FMLA time. My experience (paternity leave with FMLA as an intern) was that its very flexible, but my HR lady was very knowledgable with the system, so that may have helped.

Send me a PM if you want more details.

Thanks so much for the feedback (and thanks to others who responded). Is anyone else struggling with deciding between offers that fit personal vs. professional goals? How did you make the choice?

A co-intern got an interview at UNC Charlotte's post doc FYI

Anyone heard any invites/rejections/acceptances? Wondering about cambridge eating disorder....among others. PM me please!

Members don't see this ad :)
I recently learned that someone in my program is still attending postdoc interviews, which was surprising to me, given that she accepted another offer a couple of weeks ago. Now, I don't know her that well, so I don't know whether she's planning to back out of her current slot if something better comes along, or if she just wants to know which other offers she could have gotten. Either way, it seems like a waste of the sites' time, and also pretty unfair to the applicants who might have gotten an interview at these places if this woman had withdrawn her application.

My question is: are they any potential consequences if any of her sites found out that she's still interviewing after accepting an offer? Could her first site withdraw their offer? Would the places where she's interviewing get in touch with our training director? I think it's unlikely that sites will find out, but was curious about the implications.

I recently learned that someone in my program is still attending postdoc interviews, which was surprising to me, given that she accepted another offer a couple of weeks ago. Now, I don't know her that well, so I don't know whether she's planning to back out of her current slot if something better comes along, or if she just wants to know which other offers she could have gotten. Either way, it seems like a waste of the sites' time, and also pretty unfair to the applicants who might have gotten an interview at these places if this woman had withdrawn her application.

My question is: are they any potential consequences if any of her sites found out that she's still interviewing after accepting an offer? Could her first site withdraw their offer? Would the places where she's interviewing get in touch with our training director? I think it's unlikely that sites will find out, but was curious about the implications.

Who would want to KEEP interviewing?? So much stress!!

I just accepted an offer from my first choice site--a New England UCC. I canceled other remaining interviews, so maybe this will free up some spots for others.

Last edited:
I just accepted an offer from my first choice site--Roger Williams University CC. I canceled other remaining interviews, so maybe this will free up some spots for others.

Congratulations!!! And, thanks for clearing some space :)

Just accepted an offer from a Texas site... does this mean my time lurking on SDN has finally come to an end?

Accepted a postdoc offer for a CC in NY. Turned down offer to interview on site for a job (this timeline stuff is difficult) and also notified other places I interviewed for postdocs. Good luck to everybody!

Accepted a postdoc offer for a CC in NY. Turned down offer to interview on site for a job (this timeline stuff is difficult) and also notified other places I interviewed for postdocs. Good luck to everybody!
Congrats to all the CC folks out there accepting offers - guess the ball is finally starting to roll!

Last edited:
Congratulations KillerDiller, Jimmyachance and Terrybug! Great news all around. You must be so relieved.

Congratulations KillerDiller, Jimmyachance and Terrybug! Great news all around. You must be so relieved.

Ditto!

I'm gunning for a staff position and have 3 on sites in the next 3 weeks. I feel like I've got at least a month before I'm in your position! Feeling envious of your relief!

Congrats to those who have accepted positions. I'm still awaiting UND, and am starting to re-experience the anticipatory anxiousness of internship Match Day!

Congrats Buddhachick! Can you hold off making a decision about the postdoc until you finish interviewing for the staff positions? I can't decide if I should accept a postdoc or hold out for a regular staff position. I'm not much of a risk taker!

Congrats to those that have just accepted offers. I stopped updating the cover page for this thread but it looks like the CC folks have been updating one another. Feel free to PM me an interview notification if critical.

Congrats Buddhachick! Can you hold off making a decision about the postdoc until you finish interviewing for the staff positions? I can't decide if I should accept a postdoc or hold out for a regular staff position. I'm not much of a risk taker!

Thanks! It's definitely a tough spot to be in! I asked how much time they would be willing to give me and the director said he would let me know how long they would give me next week. I hope it works out that it will be enough time! I'm not much of a risk taker either...

Thanks! It's definitely a tough spot to be in! I asked how much time they would be willing to give me and the director said he would let me know how long they would give me next week. I hope it works out that it will be enough time! I'm not much of a risk taker either...

Well at least you get until next week (and maybe longer). One site in CA said they only give applicants 30 minutes to accept an offer and then they go on to the next person!

Well at least you get until next week (and maybe longer). One site in CA said they only give applicants 30 minutes to accept an offer and then they go on to the next person!

No way! That's stressful!!!

I'd like to say that I'd reject a site that did that to me just out of principle. I mean, that's ridiculous--you don't even have time to discuss your decision with family. Of course, we don't always have the luxury of rejecting sites out of principle, but it still infuriates me :mad:

I'd like to say that I'd reject a site that did that to me just out of principle. I mean, that's ridiculous--you don't even have time to discuss your decision with family. Of course, we don't always have the luxury of rejecting sites out of principle, but it still infuriates me :mad:

Many CA sites, particularly Nor Cal, are participating in a UND day. I have 8 sites pending on that day, and all of the UCCs are giving 30 minutes. The Kaisers give 4 hours though. I agree that it makes for a frantic pace. I blocked off almost the whole day at internship just in case things get wild. :eek:

Many CA sites, particularly Nor Cal, are participating in a UND day. I have 8 sites pending on that day, and all of the UCCs are giving 30 minutes. The Kaisers give 4 hours though. I agree that it makes for a frantic pace. I blocked off almost the whole day at internship just in case things get wild. :eek:

Wow, sounds nuts. I have a postdoc already, but I found out that kaiser only gives 10 days of leave total, which includes all federal holidays, vacation, and sick leave for the year. I'm sure you know about this. I think it makes it difficult to apply for jobs. UCC route has much more reasonable leave time.

Received my first UCC post doc offer . . .thank god. I have to let them know by Monday. This will mean some deep thinking this weekend.

FYI - Extended a phone interview - Pacific U Counseling Center Post Doc

Congrats Buddhachick and Psyunknown! I know it can be stressful having to decide between multiple offers but I guess in the grand scheme of things, it's a good problem to have. I wish all postdocs would follow a uniform notification date. It would make this process a lot simpler.

Hey folks, as if the process wasn't crazy enough my current site extended an offer for the postdoc but has given me a deadline of start of business on Monday to decide. The other positions I would be more interested in due to family/geographic reasons are adhering to the 'UND' on Wednesday. I have spoken with the training directors at the sites and they have stated that they are not extending early offers as a rule to any applicant regardless of if they are ranked highly or not, and that while they cannot tell me where I am ranked on their applicant lists they can tell me that I am still among their top candidates.

My site will not extend their deadline. Essentially I am stuck with taking the sure thing at a site I love but that doesn't fit my personal life and in a location where I don't see myself long term or gambling on the chance that I may get an offer on Wednesday from a place that does fit those 'non-professional' goals. Anyone else in a similar position? Anyone have any advice?

Hey folks, as if the process wasn't crazy enough my current site extended an offer for the postdoc but has given me a deadline of start of business on Monday to decide. The other positions I would be more interested in due to family/geographic reasons are adhering to the 'UND' on Wednesday. I have spoken with the training directors at the sites and they have stated that they are not extending early offers as a rule to any applicant regardless of if they are ranked highly or not, and that while they cannot tell me where I am ranked on their applicant lists they can tell me that I am still among their top candidates.

My site will not extend their deadline. Essentially I am stuck with taking the sure thing at a site I love but that doesn't fit my personal life and in a location where I don't see myself long term or gambling on the chance that I may get an offer on Wednesday from a place that does fit those 'non-professional' goals. Anyone else in a similar position? Anyone have any advice?

Many sites will actually extend an early offer if you have another offer from a site. From my experience, they will break this rule. Did you ask the training directors specifically if they can extend for another offer? I would call them on Monday and explain your situation and deadlines.

I personally would go with the site that fits with your professional and training goals. You won't get paid much on postdoc year so at least work somewhere that offers great training and is consistent with your long-term career goals. Considering how many hours you put in during post-doc year, I don't think you will be happy if you pick a site solely due to location. If you have a spouse or kids then I can understand wanting to stay in a preferred location though and prioritizing that.

That's really frustrating that it's your own internship site that won't be just a little flexible and let you wait for the uniform notification date. Isn't it only 3 DAYS after they want you to decide? That seems very rigid. You seem like a marketable candidate and personally, I would hold out for a postdoc where you'd be happier. I relocated far away from family and friends for internship and it's been a really long and difficult year. Plus, if by some chance you don't get one of the postdocs you want, you can just apply for regular staff positions. It's a difficult spot you're in. Let us know what you decide. Your site really won't wait 3 days?!!!

That's really frustrating that it's your own internship site that won't be just a little flexible and let you wait for the uniform notification date. Isn't it only 3 DAYS after they want you to decide? That seems very rigid. You seem like a marketable candidate and personally, I would hold out for a postdoc where you'd be happier. I relocated far away from family and friends for internship and it's been a really long and difficult year. Plus, if by some chance you don't get one of the postdocs you want, you can just apply for regular staff positions. It's a difficult spot you're in. Let us know what you decide. Your site really won't wait 3 days?!!!

I agree with NMFirefly. Also, I would suggest that your take some time to sit quietly and listen to your intuition. I think you know what the right answer is and if you clear out some space from all that thinking in circles you will hear what that answer is. :oops:

I agree with NMFirefly. Also, I would suggest that your take some time to sit quietly and listen to your intuition. I think you know what the right answer is and if you clear out some space from all that thinking in circles you will hear what that answer is. :oops:

Ditto the very wise Buddhachick!

Thank you all for the feedback, I did listen to my intuition and turned down the offer. It was definitely difficult given the fact that I have no idea how Wednesday will play out, but in the end it was the best decision. Thanks for the support!

Thank you all for the feedback, I did listen to my intuition and turned down the offer. It was definitely difficult given the fact that I have no idea how Wednesday will play out, but in the end it was the best decision. Thanks for the support!

Hooray for listening to your intuition. It really rubbed me the wrong way that your internship wouldn't wait just 2 more days so that you would have all of the information you needed to make a decision. I really hope things work out for you on Wednesday! (And if not, you can blame me.) :luck:

Good for you! I wish you the best on Wednesday!

Hi all!
Congrats to everyone who has accepted offers.... I just got the news that I did not get a placement at my top site (after 2 interviews), so feeling pretty bummed today. Here's to hoping that the future holds an even better possibility for me. And sending lots of good luck vibes to everyone else who's still waiting to hear!

Hi all!
Congrats to everyone who has accepted offers.... I just got the news that I did not get a placement at my top site (after 2 interviews), so feeling pretty bummed today. Here's to hoping that the future holds an even better possibility for me. And sending lots of good luck vibes to everyone else who's still waiting to hear!

I'm so sorry to hear this, this is a terrible process and often times makes little to no sense. Hugs to you and keep your chin up!

Hi all!

Oh Bex, I'm so sorry. That's so disappointing. There are still lots of opportunities out there for you. And like you said, maybe the universe has something even better in store for you. But it's still very disappointing! :(

Good luck to the folks who are hearing from CA counseling center postdocs today!!!

Good luck to the folks who are hearing from CA counseling center postdocs today!!!

Thanks for the thoughts. I had a great UND with multiple offers. I ultimately took my first choice UCC, but it did get complicating! I'm still in shock, but look forward to happy hour with my intern cohort (who also took offers today).