2014-2015 Universidad Central del Caribe Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

They received my AMCAS, will send transcript next week. Then comes the application fee of $100 :arghh::hurting:

Hello! I absolutely cannot get their website to work--anyone else with similar problems?

Members don't see this ad :)
And can you please tell me the OOS tuition/year? Honestly, their site doesn't work. Worrisome?

Ok--and anyone else with huge web page problems? It hasn't been working in about 10 days!

@TheIslandGuy I'm living in Spain, and I just realize that there must be a block on access here because it is absolutely not available on numerous servers from here! Thank you!

Does anyone know if applications are reviewed b4 official transcripts are received? I sent my amcas, but transcripts en route.

do we mail the money order? also, how fluent do people have to be in Spanish?

Just received an email saying they received my AMCAS primary...just wondering if there is an official secondary or just send the money order.

Just received an email saying they received my AMCAS primary...just wondering if there is an official secondary or just send the money order.

No secondary app. Just send everything that is required for your file to be completed and the waiting game begins!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ya empezaron a citar para entrevistas. ¿Alguien sabe lo que se debería esperar?

Si, una amiga mia le enviaron email hoy para entrevista. Le dieron como 5 fechas distintas para escoger y horario en el mismo email.

Que nervios! Yo estoy esperando entrevista aún, pero según tengo entendido, la entrevista es más bien una serie de "mini entrevistas" con distintas personas, pero no estoy segura. Ya sabremos cuando algunos de los compañeros que pasen por el proceso de este año nos dejen saber!

Exito y suerte a tod@s!

He leido en forums de años anteriores que es tipo MMI. Pueden buscar en Youtube que hay videos que explican que es eso! :)

Me enviaron email para entrevista ayer. Asistiré el 30 de enero.

Quisiera ayudarte pero en realidad desconozco sobre la universidad. Nunca la he visitado

Me enviaron email para entrevista ayer. Asistiré el 30 de enero.
Por favor nos dejas Saber como te fue y como fue el proceso. Me dijeron que son 5 estaciones y son casos éticos para ver como actuarías al igual que en algunos hay Dr. que te entrevistan.

Yo también recibí email esta semana, el Lunes (19 de enero). Pero reserve para el 2 de febrero.

Hey I'm a current MS1 at UCC and would be more than happy to answer any questions about the school.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey I'm a current MS1 at UCC and would be more than happy to answer any questions about the school.

What can I expect on interview day? Is there anything I can do to prepare for the interview, or should I just try to keep it as natural as possible?

I got an interview invite today! Alguien sabe si la escuela ayuda con el pasaje o con la estancia? Tambien, donde es un buen lugar para quedarse cerca de la escuela?
IS or OS? Hay algun OS que a recibido una invitacion de entrevista?

Son 5 estaciones! Es bien dinámico el proceso. La primera estación es un caso que tienes que discutir con todos los demás que estan siendo entrevistado (solos mientras los graban). Luego las otras salas le ponen distintas situaciones y los entrevistadores les hacen preguntas (estas son individuales). Una de las salas de rotacion es una entrevista personal. Cada rotacion son 7 minutos. 1 estación grupal y las otras individuales. En realidad estuvo chevere y les va a encantar!!!! Exito :)

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry for the late response, but we had a Physiology exam recently. There's a dedicated financial aid office at the registrar, which handles loans, etc. The school doesn't publish them, but I have access to the match lists from the past few years (pm me). I think the 2014 match list is quite good compared to other PR schools haha.

And Luissepu5 is right about the interview stations. They test your basic English and Spanish proficiency.

A friend of mine and I got acceptance letter. She received it yesterday and mine today!!

hello! I have an interview in March with UCC, does anyone have any tips?

A friend of mine and I got acceptance letter. She received it yesterday and mine today!!

Y antes de enviarte la carta te enviaron un email indicando que las cartas salieron?

Y antes de enviarte la carta te enviaron un email indicando que las cartas salieron?

No, la carta la recibí inesperadamente. Ellos en mi entrevista me habian dicho que el comité se reunía el ultimo jueves de febrero y eso es esta semana asi que pues aún no me esperaba una contestación.

Edit: Mi entrevista fue enero 30

Tengo un amigo que no le ha llegado la carta pero le enviaron un email diciendo que le enviaron la carta en Feb 17 y que tenia hasta Marzo 2 para contestar El va a rechazar ya que fue aceptado en RCM.

Does anyone have the MSAR breakdown of interviewed and matriculated for UCC? I would really appreciate it, thanks!

Does anyone know if the commitee met last week? Should we be expecting answers soon?

Thanks

Does anyone know if the commitee met last week? Should we be expecting answers soon?

Thanks
They started answering Feb 17. I have a friend who was accepted but declined. I received a letter last week that I was put in the alternate list. So yes they are reviewing and answering :p

Did anyone send the March 2nd deposit? Who's going here for sure?!

They started answering Feb 17. I have a friend who was accepted but declined. I received a letter last week that I was put in the alternate list. So yes they are reviewing and answering :p
Thank you, I am also in alternate list. Really hoping there is still a chance. :)

I interviewed in mid-February and received an acceptance letter dated March 2nd. I officially declined today. I wish you all the best and hope you all get your acceptance letters soon.

How long after acceptance do they give you to answer back?

I'm OOS and just accepted. I plan to enroll but still have a DO interview left. However I was told by my good friend who's a fancy Ivy League doc to do MD over DO .... Does everyone agree on that? He just said I would have more opportunities for residencies, not that the education was inferior since that's basically the same. Would love to get info on local housing, especially dog-friendly and as close as possible. Traffic in PR was chaotic.

In very general terms and all things being equal your friend is right. However, when you start to factor in your own personal goals and situation the answer isn’t as clear cut.

Currently DO’s have their own residencies which means they only have to compete with other DO’s. Within the next 5 years the DO residencies (AOA) will become accredited by the ACGME therefore both MD’s and DO’s will “share” residencies. I say “share” because both MD’s and DO’s can apply to all programs but there will still be osteopathic focused training programs.

So basically it depends on what you want to specialize in. No one really knows how this merger will affect DO vs MD competitiveness, however it’s safe to say that if you plan on going into primary care and have average stats the difference will not matter. At the higher end of the spectrum (competitive residencies) the MD vs DO thing will matter due to several factors including research opportunities (which depend on the school) and general “DO hate”.

TL; DR: If you’re going into primary care it won’t matter, just pick which ever school you like the most.

Thanks Ginger! I've only recently heard about this whole merger by 2020 deal, so it does make it a bit confusing because that doesn't necessarily mean that DOs won't continue to be biased against in the match. I'm not 100% sure of what specialty I want to go into, which is why I'm not sure whether to even consider DO at this point. PR is really a great fit for me personally, but I know it would be easier for my family, bf, and dogs if I stayed close to home(but my dogs are going with no matter what!).

Also, as far as a campus and hospital, UCC doesn't have the impressive facade of a lot of other schools, which isn't so important if they are able to place their students better than DO schools. I haven't seen a match list, but all the other posts I've read imply they are. In fact, I rather like the tropical aged buildings compared to the bland sterile classrooms.....

Do you know of many research opportunities at UCC? I plan to look into it more, but their website is sparse. Thanks again.

Hi guys!
Of those who have received letters of acceptance, who's sure that they will attend UCC?
Currently between UCC and Ponce, and don't know what to do :(

Hi guys!
Of those who have received letters of acceptance, who's sure that they will attend UCC?
Currently between UCC and Ponce, and don't know what to do :(

I would check each school's curriculum and see which one you like the most. I'd also consider the rotations that each one offers, Ponce's are more in the south and tend to be in smaller hospitals whereas Bayamon's are in the metropolitan area and you have the chance to rotate at Veteranos, UDH, etc. Lastly, I'd check the passing rates each school has for the Step I exam. I believe Bayamon is the highest with about a 96 or 97 percent passing rate for the people who took the test last summer. Idk what Ponce's rate was, but I was told that UCC had the highest in PR. Considering all this, and looking at UCC's integrated curriculum, I realized UCC was a better fit for me.

Anyone hear back from admissions that interviewed 3/20/15.