2014-2015 University of California - San Francisco Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats Octoberapplicant! I was also accepted Friday and it too was the best short email of my life! :) UCSF doesn't ask for a deposit to hold your seat, which I was very happy to discover after clicking yes!
Just dropped in to say Congratulations. You have had an amazing cycle. Wish you the very best, my friend.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you any early February interviewees know when our decisions will be released? I believe mid-March but not sure if there is a more specific date.

Is the alternate list ranked or unranked? Anybody know how many people are likely to come off the list and when that may be?

Is the alternate list ranked or unranked? Anybody know how many people are likely to come off the list and when that may be?

Word on the street is that its unranked, and depending on the year around half of the waitlist may make it in ultimately. On our interview day, it was said that there is 50-60% chance of ultimately getting in if you have an interview, and so if you consider the 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 interview outcomes, that says good things about your waitlist chances. I've also heard that the use the waitlist to craft the class, so if a student with a similar background or experiences drops off, that could mean something good for you.

Does this school have an MD/MBA program? I couldn't find it on the website. And if so, how easy is it for med students to get into the MBA program?

Does this school have an MD/MBA program? I couldn't find it on the website. And if so, how easy is it for med students to get into the MBA program?

No MBA program. UCSF is a health science campus

Do you any early February interviewees know when our decisions will be released? I believe mid-March but not sure if there is a more specific date.

I'm wondering the same thing! Hopefully soon

Word on the street is that its unranked, and depending on the year around half of the waitlist may make it in ultimately. On our interview day, it was said that there is 50-60% chance of ultimately getting in if you have an interview, and so if you consider the 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 interview outcomes, that says good things about your waitlist chances. I've also heard that the use the waitlist to craft the class, so if a student with a similar background or experiences drops off, that could mean something good for you.

Thank you very much for the useful info! It sounds like it's not a bad place to be on the WL. Hopefully they will pull from the WL in the near future. I believe someone mentioned that at the end of March, but end of April makes more sense since 4/30 is the deadline for admitted students to decide.

Just accepted to the med school a few minutes ago (went to last interview date in Jan)! Rejected yesterday to MSTP, so I'm not sure how to factor the awesomeness of the med school versus funded MD-PhD. Are there any current students who are planning to apply internally during year 1/2?

Reactions: 4 users
ACCEPTED!!!! Can hardly believe it! Interviewed early February :D

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations to you both. Was this via email? Interviewed mid February myself.

i will say that UCSF's revisit weekend sounds by far the most fun out of all second looks i've seen

Reactions: 1 users
i will say that UCSF's revisit weekend sounds by far the most fun out of all second looks i've seen

Kind of glad that I wasn't accepted because I honestly don't know how I could choose between a night out in the Castro or at an ice cream bar. :eek:

You know, the funny thing is: it isn't until after you go through this process that you finally understand how futile it is to compare yourself to other applicants. And trust me, I did. A LOT. But if I had actually acted based on those conclusions I made, I would not be holding this acceptance right now.

Be honest, be real and believe in yourself. And sure, have the general self awareness to recognize where your application is weak and strong and your overall chances. But honestly, if you think you're a generally stand up guy and feel your strengths way outweigh your perceived weaknesses, then go for it. You'll probably surprise yourself.

I could not have said this better!

Anyone submit the 5 word bio for ASW? All of the ones I comes up with don't seem to make sense haha

I did. I don't think they are supposed to be serious things. Mine is based on a movie

Congratulations @kmed2014!! Has your portal changed? Also, if you don't mind my asking, did you interview on the first possible Feb date?

My portal changed in that under the offer tab I could choose to accept or decline an offer.

Could someone please post the hyperlink to the secondary application in here? I had to delete my college email address and lost the link =/

Last night I was poking around to try and find out more information on the LIC clinical curriculum options at UCSF, like KLIC. I realized that by going from this page while logged into the UCSF account that I used for financial aid, I could see more information about them than I could before, which was cool!

Until I realized that by clicking around I had somehow enrolled myself in several of them. Oops! I clicked "Un-Enroll" but I hope I didn't confuse anybody.

Does anyone know when the last batch of post-interview decisions will be released? Dean Wofsy mentioned that the last committee meeting was Mar. 17 I think...

I would guess this Friday (maybe next).
Does anyone know when the last batch of post-interview decisions will be released? Dean Wofsy mentioned that the last committee meeting was Mar. 17 I think...

Accepted today! So excited, it feels like a dream! Interviewed 2/19

Reactions: 4 users
Congratulations on the acceptance, and hoping the wait list has movement for you optikos! Were any rejections released last night?

Just got accepted off of the waitlist!!!! :biglove: Wasn't expecting anything until May at the earliest, so this is the best possible surprise.

Reactions: 11 users
Oh my god accepted off the waitlist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 8 users
Alternate list after interviewing 1/27. Pretty excited though, I've heard there is lots of movement on UCSF's waitlist and this is definitely my dream school.. fingers crossed :happy:

De-waitlisted?!?

Emotions are all over the place. I was not mentally prepared for anything like this.

Edit: glad I got a reminder to submit my PROFILE a few days ago. I wasn't expecting an acceptance so I filled out but never submitted the application and pocketed my precious $25.

Reactions: 8 users
De-waitlisted?!?

Emotions are all over the place. I was not mentally prepared for anything like this.

Edit: glad I got a reminder to submit my PROFILE a few days ago. I wasn't expecting an acceptance so I filled out but never submitted the application and pocketed my precious $25.
Yes!!

Reactions: 2 users
De-waitlisted?!?

I am. so. happy. for. dis!

Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations to all acceptances off the alternate list. Did any of you send in a letter of intent/or at least know about UCSF's take on them?

Congratulations to all acceptances off the alternate list. Did any of you send in a letter of intent/or at least know about UCSF's take on them?

I did not send a LOI or post-WL update. Can't speak to their LOI policy, but they were very responsive when I sent a general application update in post-interview. Good luck! :luck:

I sent one update after my interview/pre waitlist and one update in early March. Both were very kindly accepted by the AdCom! In each update I wrote a small piece about how these updates relate to my aspiration to attend UCSF so it's kind of a letter of intent as well as an update. PM me if you want an example/ more info! I'm always down to help out my fellow SDN'ers

Congrats to everyone that has been accepted so far!!

I did not send in a LOI at any point, post-interview or post-waitlist. I was planning to send in an update mid-April, but had not done so as of yesterday; the only update I gave was at the interview itself.

Congrats to everyone! Has anyone who got in the JMP received an official email from the UC Berkeley grad division yet? No one in the JMP office seems to know when Berkeley will officially accept us and I am wondering for financial aid purposes...

Anyone know if we might be able to see the 2015 match results?

Got my acceptance offer on March 19th! Interviewed in late Jan. I'm so excited to start a new chapter of my life in SF! :) Good lucks to those who are still waiting for the results!

congrats to those accepeted and to those recently accepted off the WL. Is anyone that is still on the WL know any info about when there may be more movement off the WL?

De-waitlisted?!?

Congratulations! What exactly do you mean by profile? Also, what were the dates for when you were waitlist and accepted etc.

congrats to those accepeted and to those recently accepted off the WL. Is anyone that is still on the WL know any info about when there may be more movement off the WL?

Hey, I am still on the waitlist as well. I feel you ;). I called the Admissions Office a few weeks ago and the person I spoke with indicated that most of the movement does not happen until May. Happy to hear that there was an exception to that for several SDNers, but I would guess most movement will still be at the more conventional time.