2022-2023 UC San Francisco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @OnceUponUhCloud for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 UC San Francisco Secondary Essay Prompts

1. If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below. (500 words)

2. If you are 2022 or earlier college graduate, please use the space below to tell us what you have done since completing your undergraduate degree. (350 words)

3. Do you identify as being part of a marginalized group socioeconomically or in terms of access to quality education or healthcare? Please describe how this inequity has impacted you and your community. (350 words)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
University of California San Francisco School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Two different sites have varying information regarding UCSF's secondaries. For previous applicants, which one is correct?

moderator note: removed links to outdated or incorrect secondary information

Last edited by a moderator:
Two different sites have varying information regarding UCSF's secondaries. For previous applicants, which one is correct?
Neither of these is an official UCSF site so I think you should wait until UCSF sends out its secondaries for this year.
Someone who gets one will usually share it on SDN within a day or two.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Looking at last year's thread, it looks like UCSF's prompts lined up with the ones on prospectivedoctor. But keep in mind those prompts could change this year.

Also, generally speaking, it seems like most of the prompts on medschoolhq are outdated/not reflective of last year's prompts.

Anyone know if UCSF has a preference towards people who are interested in a certain discipline in medicine? For example, I want to go into academic medicine and do clinical research. Is it bad if I mention this in one of my secondary essays?

Anyone know if UCSF has a preference towards people who are interested in a certain discipline in medicine? For example, I want to go into academic medicine and do clinical research. Is it bad if I mention this in one of my secondary essays?
No, a lot of other schools (like UCLA and UCSD) specifically ask for which area you want to go into so I think it's fair game.

The one by medicalschoolhq is a mistake on their part. That is the secondary prompt for UC San Diego, not UCSF. Still, nothing is sure until UCSF releases their own version of the prompt.

The one by medicalschoolhq is a mistake on their part. That is the secondary prompt for UC San Diego, not UCSF. Still, nothing is sure until UCSF releases their own version of the prompt.
As much as I enjoy Dr. Gray's content, the secondary app website is SEVERELY out of date. I pre-write several secondaries based on his website and then had to rewrite them after the fact.

Has anyone received anything from them? Like notification of primary received or something like that?

Does anyone know if UCSF is looking at MCAT scores this year, or are they going test blind again?

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
@wysdoc

1. If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below. (500 words)

2. If you are 2022 or earlier college graduate, please use the space below to tell us what you have done since completing your undergraduate degree. (350 words)

3. Do you identify as being part of a marginalized group socioeconomically or in terms of access to quality education or healthcare? Please describe how this inequity has impacted you and your community. (350 words)

Members don't see this ad :)
This may sound silly, but are my chances at UCSF reduced if #3 does not apply to me?

This may sound silly, but are my chances at UCSF reduced if #3 does not apply to me?
Well, you inherently will not have certain experiences or possibly meet certain criteria (URM, immigrant, etc.)) that would bolster your application. While I don't think it necessarily works against you, being part of a marginalized group will certainly help you.

Best of luck in this application cycle. I love boxers btw ;)

Is anybody else still waiting? I was verified pretty early (first week of June), but I wasn’t sure if the secondaries slowly trickle out over time!

Is anybody else still waiting? I was verified pretty early (first week of June), but I wasn’t sure if the secondaries slowly trickle out over time!
Same here. Verified 6/7 or so iirc. 4.0 52X OOS albeit lacking in the “mission fit” category. Haven’t heard anything back from UCLA either fwiw

Patiently waiting as well...verified first week of June and like UCLA, just looks like they are taking longer to roll things out.

IS & received my UCLA secondary on 7/7, but no word from ucsf either!
Patiently waiting as well...verified first week of June and like UCLA, just looks like they are taking longer to roll things out.

Alright I feel a little better so thank you guys! :) I'll keep my fingers crossed for more secondaries for us soon!

OOS & got my UCLA secondary 7/10, nothing from UCSF yet! Just twiddling my thumbs and waiting for it :p

What stats do the people who received a secondary already have?
Mine are in my signature. But don't despair guys, give it some time as I think they are just getting around to all of them. Good luck!!

Question from the people who have gotten their secondary, mind sharing when you were verified? I want to see if they are screening sequentially and if so, which day of submission they are on.

If it makes any difference, I haven't received a secondary yet and I was verified on 6/7, so either they are going sequentially and I got passed or it's a little more random than that (which I'm hoping for)!

Question from the people who have gotten their secondary, mind sharing when you were verified? I want to see if they are screening sequentially and if so, which day of submission they are on.
Verified 6/1, but just got mine yesterday.

Verified 6/9, still no secondary. Looking at last years thread it looks like its gonna be a slow trickle so I wouldn't worry too much about it

Thanks to all who responded! This is my dream school so can't wait to complete my application to them.

Received secondary at 5 pm yesterday. IS.

I haven't received anything yet from UCSF, but am hopeful. Do they at least send acknowledgments of primary application receipt and that they're reviewing it, like how the rest of the UCs do?

I haven't received anything yet from UCSF, but am hopeful. Do they at least send acknowledgments of primary application receipt and that they're reviewing it, like how the rest of the UCs do?
I didn’t get an acknowledgement, just my secondary. Fingers are crossed for you 💙💙 I think they’re just a bit slow this year!

I didn’t get an acknowledgement, just my secondary. Fingers are crossed for you 💙💙 I think they’re just a bit slow this year!
Thank you, friend. Best of luck!

Can someone help me make sense of this question:

"Please list all states of residence including where you have had an official address within the past 10 years."

What does the "including where you have had an official address" portion mean? If I am a resident of state B but go to college in state B and have a mailing address there, would I list both states A and B or just A? In other words, should you list states you were never technically a resident of if you at some point had an address there?

And do we only need to go back 10 years for states of residence, or do you include all states of residence but only go back 10 years for states where you had an official address but were not a resident?

Quick question - If Question 3 doesn't apply, should I just leave it blank? I'm debating whether I should put N/A, leave it blank, or write a few sentences saying that I do not identify as marginalized. I don't want to write something and it be confusing since the question seems like a yes or no. Thanks for any input and good luck to everybody!