2014-2015 University of Vermont Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

OOS, but this school looked like a good fit for my interests!

Applying here OOS (family in the area, but they're weak ties). Glad they have a good history of taking OOS students, Vermont looks like it could be a good fit.

Good luck to all applying this year - hopefully some of us will be classmates in a year!

Members don't see this ad :)
Applying, OOS. Almost went to a school nearby for undergrad. Love Vermont ski slopes ;)

Also applying OOS-- I absolutely love this school!! Good luck to everyone :).

Can anyone confirm pre clinical grading is P/F?

I know this school takes a lot of OOS students, but does anyone know if they like to see IS ties or something? I'm a CA resident with no ties and I'd like to apply here, but I don't know if it's worth it.

I know this school takes a lot of OOS students, but does anyone know if they like to see IS ties or something? I'm a CA resident with no ties and I'd like to apply here, but I don't know if it's worth it.

From what I've heard, while IS ties certainly don't hurt, the percentage of OOS accepted is high enough that it's not necessary like it is at some other state schools. Most state schools have more IS applicants than they have total class seats, which makes the priority for IS and IS ties very high, but at Vermont, they typically have 20-30 more seats than they even have IS applicants, so for OOS students, it's very favorable with or without ties.

Oh boy the new threads are up
UVM is a great school, good luck guys

Reactions: 1 users
Can anyone confirm pre clinical grading is P/F?

Not True P/F. It has Honors, Pass, Marginal Pass, and Fail.

I will be an incoming first year med student so if you guys have any questions about interview experience/secondary or the school feel free to ask!

Not going to lie: I'm so excited that I've already been creepin' on Craigslist to see what the apartment situation is like in Burlington; I am SO in love with the idea of this school. One of my foremost choices, definitely.

Verified today! Sincerely, best of luck to one and all!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would love to go to UVM. Does anyone know if this school yield-protects? My MCAT is well above their 90th percentile, but UVM is one of my top choices. Burlington is the perfect town to live in during med school.

Not going to lie: I'm so excited that I've already been creepin' on Craigslist to see what the apartment situation is like in Burlington; I am SO in love with the idea of this school. One of my foremost choices, definitely.

Verified today! Sincerely, best of luck to one and all!
Good luck! Have you seen the secondary for Vermont yet?

Not sure if you're referring to last year's secondary questions, but there were two essays. One asks about diversity and the other is an optional essay for any additional information. I don't have the exact prompts, on my cell, but can post them later if you would like!

Excited to get the process started, uvm is such an amazing school--hoping for the best for us all!

I hear this school is pretty chill with a 7 subsection. Perhaps a 10/7/10?? :p

Not sure if you're referring to last year's secondary questions, but there were two essays. One asks about diversity and the other is an optional essay for any additional information. I don't have the exact prompts, on my cell, but can post them later if you would like!

Excited to get the process started, uvm is such an amazing school--hoping for the best for us all!
Do you think it will be the same this year? I thought maybe they had already sent their secondary to you.

Do you think it will be the same this year? I thought maybe they had already sent their secondary to you.

I haven't received any secondaries yet. I was under the impression that schools won't begin releasing them until they receive our applications. I believe that the first possible date for this is June 27th, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong! In terms of whether or not the prompts will be the same this year, I'm not sure. Based on older threads, there didn't seem to be any essay questions prior to last year. I would hope that they maintain last year's essays, but it's hard to say honestly. I'm prepping for them regardless!

Last edited:
I haven't received any secondaries yet. I was under the impression that schools won't begin releasing them until they receive our applications. I believe that the first possible date for this is June 27th, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong! In terms of whether or not the prompts will be the same this year, I'm not sure. Based on older threads, there didn't seem to be any essay questions prior to last year. I would hope that they maintain last year's essays, but it's hard to say honestly. I'm prepping for them regardless!

Hi,

I've also been wondering about the first day AMCAS is released to schools. How did you get the June 27th date?

Thanks,

Reapplicant OOS; applied late last year and drowned in the small pool. Here we go round #2.

The applications aren't actually released to the schools until June 27th, en masse. So, I probably won't see anything until July.

Not going to lie: I'm so excited that I've already been creepin' on Craigslist to see what the apartment situation is like in Burlington.

Same here. I don't know why, but I just have a really good gut feeling about this school. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Same here. I don't know why, but I just have a really good gut feeling about this school. Good luck to everyone!

Vermont is AWESOME. When I was doing my post-bacc, I would always head out to Vermont to hike/camp/fish/canoe when I could get a (rare) free weekend. Beyond being gorgeous, the vibe is super laid back and progressive (totally like home, for all of my fellow California residents). I actually called the UVM office to clarify a couple of things, and they were INCREDIBLY wonderful. Everyone I know who has interviewed there has said that it's unbelievably underrated; a hidden gem.

Seriously? If I got into Big School and UVM, I'd choose UVM.

Vermont is AWESOME. When I was doing my post-bacc, I would always head out to Vermont to hike/camp/fish/canoe when I could get a (rare) free weekend. Beyond being gorgeous, the vibe is super laid back and progressive (totally like home, for all of my fellow California residents). I actually called the UVM office to clarify a couple of things, and they were INCREDIBLY wonderful. Everyone I know who has interviewed there has said that it's unbelievably underrated; a hidden gem.

I completely agree with this! I spent some time in Vermont at Lake Champlain to finish one my research theses-- I couldn't think of a better place and school to be :).

Also, it's great seeing you here BeachBlondie after the April 5th MCAT thread! Wish you the best for an awesome cycle :thumbup:.

I completely agree with this! I spent some time in Vermont at Lake Champlain to finish one my research theses-- I couldn't think of a better place and school to be :).

Also, it's great seeing you here BeachBlondie after the April 5th MCAT thread! Wish you the best for an awesome cycle :thumbup:.

Thanks, my friend! :highfive:

Truckin' along towards my August 1st retake, so my secondaries will be a bit late (first week of September), but I'm in it to win it, as they say. If you ever need internet hugs through this cycle, you know where to go.

Beyond being gorgeous, the vibe is super laid back and progressive (totally like home, for all of my fellow California residents).

This is a big deal to me. I'm from the Midwest and if I have to move away from family and friends, I'd really like to move to an area where my partner and I are actually welcomed and not just tolerated.

Reactions: 5 users
This is a big deal to me. I'm from the Midwest and if I have to move away from family and friends, I'd really like to move to an area where my partner and I are actually welcomed and not just tolerated.

Succinctly stated. I've always hated the phrase, "practice tolerance." There's this implication in the word that by being tolerant you're simply apathetic about it, or even just holding judgment until behind closed doors. I think the phrase, "practice acceptance" is far more palatable.

Good friend of mine loves some UVM for the same reason--as a couple, they just want to be happy in an area where they don't have to feel ostracized.

Are they oos and rum friendly?

Definitely OOS friendly - with Vermont being a small-population state, approximately 2/3 of each class ends up being OOS.

As for rum, well, as long as it's part of a pina colada, who wouldn't be friendly? :D

Reactions: 8 users
I hail from "across the lake" in NY. Burlington, Vermont is an extraordinary place with a rich and rugged character. There is nothing in this world quite so serene as the seasons experienced there. You truly get it all.

I'm obviously partial, but, if you want to take it from someone with strong ties to the area, take an acceptance from UVM and run with it - especially if you are a self-effacing type, not seeking the glitter and glam of a sexy urban setting. Burlington is the most unassumingly beautiful place I have ever had the pleasure of witnessing - from landscape, lifestyle, art and academia. It's an ideal place to go to medical school. Good luck to everyone applying.

Definitely OOS friendly - with Vermont being a small-population state, approximately 2/3 of each class ends up being OOS.

As for rum, well, as long as it's part of a pina colada, who wouldn't be friendly? :D

lol I meant urm

lol I meant urm

I figured...I just couldn't resist, sorry! :happy:

From what I've heard, I get the impression that UVM is a pretty inclusive place, but hopefully a current student or someone who has interviewed at UVM in the past will be able to comment more specifically for you!

Good to hear you really like UVM. I'm going to be starting my M1 here and pretty much like the schools for all the same reasons. FWIW, all of you are pretty much ahead of the curve in terms of applications if you're already getting verified, so just relax. UVM also has one of the shortest secondaries ever. Basically no essays, and a 150 characters to explain if you had any run ins with the law (including speeding tix). Admissions staff are really nice, too!

One thing worth adding, if you like UVM, consider taking a look at UVA (Univ of Virginia). Its not in the northeast, but similar atmosphere to Burlington. Charlottesville is really nice and lots of neat/beautiful things in the area. Just something to consider

G

One thing worth adding, if you like UVM, consider taking a look at UVA (Univ of Virginia). Its not in the northeast, but similar atmosphere to Burlington. Charlottesville is really nice and lots of neat/beautiful things in the area. Just something to consider

Last edited:
Burlington is awesome... beautiful lake, beautiful mountains, good restaurants, great vibes. Wait, was this thread about med school?

Submitted my AMCAS before but I just added most of my schools yesterday. Hoping to be verified in the next few days. I have a friend who's brother went to med school here and she has nothing but great things to say about Vermont! Glad to be joining you folks on this thread!

Anyone else notice they are screening this year? I wonder why and when they will release the secondaries.

Anyone else notice they are screening this year? I wonder why and when they will release the secondaries.

Looking through last year's thread, it looks like they didn't come out until right about now last year (the earliest was the 9th, but most people seemed to have gotten them around 12th/13th). But the year before it looks like they didn't come out until closer to the end of July. I didn't see a consensus on whether they're using that time to screen, or if they just start the process a little later to allow staff some down time.

I'm okay with the wait here, it's nice to have some schools staggered. I want to be able to dedicate plenty of time to their secondary if they send me one.

I got a secondary today. I applied the 16th Early Decision in state.

thanks! Yeah looks pretty much the same, except there's a short essay.

Additional Short Answer Essay Topics
Please write a short response to one of the following questions. (300 word maximum.)
Topic 1:
“Two roads diverged in a yellow wood
And sorry I could not travel both…”

• --Robert Frost, The Road Not Taken
Tell us about a time when you were at a crossroads and had to make an important choice. What do you think would have happened if you had made a different choice?
--OR--
Topic 2:
Reflect on a time in your life when you experienced failure or things didn’t go as you’d planned. How did this affect you?