2014-2015 University of Vermont Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OOS, secondary received this morning. Submitted already.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So if we don't put any "additional information" here will that be viewed as detrimental?

I wasn't planning on entering any information-- I don't think I have anything pertinent to add!

Reactions: 1 user
To those who have submitted, on the 'application has been received...' page it tells me the status of my letters are shown at the bottom of the page. But I don't see anything at all... Anyone else?

To those who have submitted, on the 'application has been received...' page it tells me the status of my letters are shown at the bottom of the page. But I don't see anything at all... Anyone else?
same here.

I had that at first too but then mine refreshed after an hour or so and the part about the letter disappeared. Maybe its a glitch?

Submitted, vermont seems lovely. My school is loosely affiliated with Fletcher Allen so perhaps that will be a good thing. Edit: I have the same thing with the letters. Also did anyone notice that the secondary fee was 105 and not 95 like they said it was... (rolls eyes)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Ohhhhhhh UVM COM is hands down my top choice school. Location location location! I would love to live in Burlington. Secondary isn't too bad, either...

Reactions: 2 users
Is the short essay optional? Because it doesn't say optional like the 'additional comments' one, but then it doesn't have a red asterisk?

Will I be disqualified if my school has a committee letter but I choose not to use one?

Members don't see this ad :)
Will I be disqualified if my school has a committee letter but I choose not to use one?

If you have a good and legitimate reason for not using the pre-med committee letter, my understanding is that it usually isn't a problem.

If you have a good and legitimate reason for not using the pre-med committee letter, my understanding is that it usually isn't a problem.

No other schools explicitly/flat out REQUIRE committee letters. At most, they'll say that they refer/would like/recommend committee letters. So I don't know...

No other schools explicitly/flat out REQUIRE committee letters. At most, they'll say that they refer/would like/recommend committee letters. So I don't know...

No, they're not required most of the time (my state school requires a committee letter packet and if you can't/don't have one, you have to seek permission of the admissions committee to submit individual letters and provide a good reason). Most schools want to know why though (because what if the committee refused to write one for you?). Thus, you should have a good explanation prepared. I think Vermont asks for an explanation.

Some schools don't even have a pre-med committee, so it's definitely never a requirement. My school doesn't have a committee and when I put no, Vermont didn't even ask for an explanation.

I didn't like the reporting my speeding tickets. I can't help it I go FAST!

Some schools don't even have a pre-med committee, so it's definitely never a requirement. My school doesn't have a committee and when I put no, Vermont didn't even ask for an explanation.

I know. But Vermont says that IF your school has a committee, a letter from them is REQUIRED.

OOS, submitted. Would love to visit this school, the curriculum is great. I am a firm believer starting clinical experience in MS1 is a very advantageous structure.

Anyone know when Vermont starts giving out IIs? Dream school :D

Ooops... don't have a non-science letter. My school cancelled their committee letter program at last minute, so I'm kind of stuck.

Does anyone know if this is a hard-and-fast rule, or will they let it slide? I'm also strapped for cash at the moment, and don't want to pony up the dinero to be rejected for failing to meet a LOR requirement. :( All I want is to frolic about Burlington, learning about medicine and stuffing my face with maple-smoked cheddar...

Ooops... don't have a non-science letter. My school cancelled their committee letter program at last minute, so I'm kind of stuck.

Does anyone know if this is a hard-and-fast rule, or will they let it slide? I'm also strapped for cash at the moment, and don't want to pony up the dinero to be rejected for failing to meet a LOR requirement. :( All I want is to frolic about Burlington, learning about medicine and stuffing my face with maple-smoked cheddar...

I'd contact them. I'll bet that in your unique situation they'll be fine with the letters you have.

Anyone else's page say your supplemental application has been submitted. Anyone know how to check if they have officially gotten our LORs? Thanks!

So has anyone had a status change to small pool?

i.e. something along the lines of "Your application has been preliminarily reviewed and is within a pool of applicants to which an interview may be extended"?

i.e. something along the lines of "Your application has been preliminarily reviewed and is within a pool of applicants to which an interview may be extended"?

No. I assume your status has changed to that? Did you receive an email?

No my status still says that paragraph about being reviewed and may still take 6-8 weeks or what not.

I was just asking if anyone had a status change to that, as it had already for people around this time last year. Come on people! Don't be coy!

No my status still says that paragraph about being reviewed and may still take 6-8 weeks or what not.

I was just asking if anyone had a status change to that, as it had already for people around this time last year. Come on people! Don't be coy!

Oh gotcha! yeah I didn't look at last years thread so I didn't know about the small pool thing.

Yeah, but you can't get wet unless your in it. So it's still "the place to be."

You lose points for being the guy with the shirt on in the wave pool

Reactions: 3 users

Bear in mind that last year the secondary was sent out earlier as well.

Hey everyone, I was accepted here last cycle but chose to matriculate somewhere else. For those interested, here's my impressions on the school:

UVM/Fletcher Allen Hospital is really state of the art. It was rated the most beautiful medical school by some rankings thing.
Vermonters are really nice. You get that impression from the admissions office, the medical school students, and the local community.
Interview day is really straightforward: 1 faculty interview that is about 1-1.5 hours long. There will be about 15-20 people on your interview day.
I got my interview invite in mid-August (I think I was among the first batch of II received). I was small-pooled via portal notification (not email) in early August.
Vermont really likes IS students. About 40 of their 100 or so students are from Vermont. However, they do take a lot of OOS (A lot of Californians on my interview day; dunno if that's a trend but I did remember a MS2 there say that they have a lot of Californians).
UVM has great reputation clinically and matches pretty well for a state school. However, cost is a real concern (about $57k tuition alone).

Good luck all and hope this helps.

Reactions: 4 users

Hmm I submitted just several days after you and I don't see that. :(

Next on the radar: Vermont secondary- hoping to knock this one out after working on my car today!

Status change: Under preliminary review.

if you dont mind my asking, when did you guys submit your secondaries?

Is this status update on the screen right after signing in?

Nice!

Is this a message that will eventually pop on on everyone's applicant portal? Does Vermont reject Pre secondary?
Wording on their website indicates they send the secondary to everyone, so no they do not reject pre secondary.

Also submitted 7/21 but still at 'your app has been received'