2014 Match Stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow, congrats to everyone!

I matched at my 4th and final destination. All four were dream programs so I am extremely happy! it is a little scary to know that I was literally ONE person away from not matching. it was tough this year guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats Inverness!!! You did it!!!

Congrats appal!!! I felt like we were in the same boat so I'm glad it went well for you!!!

Thanks!! :)

Hi everyone! I wanted to say congrats and good luck to those who decide to scramble- there's actually some pretty good sites up :D I know I've never posted before but I've been reading these posts for a while and was so excited when I found out I matched today!! Anyway, does anyone know if we're supposed to email the residency director once we get the results or do we wait for them to reach out to us?

I think the general consensus is to wait for the residency director to reach out to you!

I matched at my 4th and final destination. All four were dream programs so I am extremely happy! it is a little scary to know that I was literally ONE person away from not matching. it was tough this year guys.
How did you figure that you were one person away from not matching?

Members don't see this ad :)

How do you know where you're rank on a program list?

Anyone knows if we're able to see who will be our co-residents? Thanks!

I matched at my 3rd. So happy! Do you guys any idea what I have to do from now on? Should I contact the program director? What will be the next process?

Reactions: 1 user
I contacted mine after not hearing for a bit, I was too excited to wait for them to contact me. He was very appreciative of me initiating the contact.

I've already got some initial paperwork to fill out and send in. Suddenly incredibly nervous.

Members don't see this ad :)
Matched to my top choice for PGY2 in drug info!

Reactions: 2 users
-GPA: 3.35
-Type of PharmD program (3 or 4 year): 4 year
-Geographic location (region or city if desired): east coast
-Activities: ZERO research or pubs
-Leadership positions: a couple positions at school with PDC APhA SNPhA class exec board
-Community service: health fairs, hundreds of hours volunteering, cofounded relief aid organization overseas Tons of fundraising for SJC and HIV orgs
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: 3.5 years retail
-Work experience outside of pharmacy: nothing of importance
-Number and type of residencies applied to: 9
-Number of interview invites: 9 (strategic applying)
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, etc): Matched with my #2-a small community hospital in a nationally recognized hospital network on the east coast and I couldn't be happier!

How did you figure that you were one person away from not matching?

This program was my last choice (still a "dream" program!) and they only take one PGY-1 resident. If they happened to rank the "right" individual ahead of me I would have been left without a residency spot.

This program was my last choice (still a "dream" program!) and they only take one PGY-1 resident. If they happened to rank the "right" individual ahead of me I would have been left without a residency spot.
Ah ok, got you. Congrats on matching! :)

-GPA - 3.72
-Type of PharmD program (3 or 4 year) - 4 yr
-Geographic location (region or city if desired) - Mid Atlantic
-Activities - Named Scholar or Fellow in two national programs; Rho Chi; PLS; various national and regional posters; 3 research publications (2 from pre-pharm days); global health rotations; various school, fraternity and community committees; etc.
-Leadership positions - Substance abuse program director; intern coordinator; chair of some committees
-Community service - Developed, directed and obtained funding and grants for a couple of substance abuse programs put into community clinics for the under-served population in the region; substance abuse counseling; youth anti-drug campaigns
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy - 3 yrs - hospital intern
-Work experience outside of pharmacy - 3 yrs - medical research assistant
-Number and type of residencies applied to -
  • Applied to 11 PGY1 programs (but all sites also had PGY2 programs in specialties of interest)
    • 8 VA programs in various regions (unable to schedule 2 interviews and rejected from one)
    • 3 teaching hospitals (2 academic centers and 1 very large public hospital)
-Number of interview invites
  • 10 (only able to interview at 8 due to scheduling & travel constraints)
  • Ranked 6 of the 8 programs
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, etc)
  • Matched at #1 Ranking - Large VA Medical Center in the Midwest

Last edited:
-GPA: 3.4
-Type of PharmD program (3 or 4 year): 4 year
-Geographic location (region or city if desired): Pittsburgh
-Activities: Research, 2 posters, some teaching experience,
-Leadership positions: chairs in a couple organizations
-Community service: a lot of public health projects,
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: pharmacy volunteer before pharm school, retail internship during school
-Work experience outside of pharmacy: nothing important
-Number and type of residencies applied to: 9; general and ambulatory care
-Number of interview invites: 6
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, etc): Baltimore VA medical center, general pgy1 (my 2nd choice)

:wideyed: Wow everyone's GPA is so high (relative to mine) ...

My program didn't contact me yesterday :(

Is there any consensus on what to do in these situations? I think I will wait til Monday afternoon then I will reach out to them.

My program didn't contact me yesterday :(

Is there any consensus on what to do in these situations? I think I will wait til Monday afternoon then I will reach out to them.

Dude, it's been less than 24 hours.

I know you're excited, but it is perfectly reasonable to wait until Monday :)

A friend of mine is a program director and is on vacation right now.

Also, you know you are getting old when you have more program directors than resident candidates in your Facebook feed...

Reactions: 1 users
When most everyone has already heard back it's not unreasonable to wonder if not hearing back is abnormal regardless of it being less than 24 hours. It's not so much excitement as it won't feel real until I've heard directly from the program.

Thanks for the feedback though.

I don't think my program contacted me for a week...

This isn't like applying for school. We're adults. What does it hurt to drop a friendly email saying "just received my results, looking forward to being at ABC Medical Center in July"?
This is what I did.

This isn't like applying for school. We're adults. What does it hurt to drop a friendly email saying "just received my results, looking forward to being at ABC Medical Center in July"?

There's nothing wrong with doing this.

But I also wouldn't take it personally if you didn't get a "zOMG we so excited to have you!!!!" Email yesterday.

-GPA: Just south of 3.9
-Type of PharmD program: 4 year new-ish school (~10 years old)
-Geographic location: Southeast
-Activities: several non-peer-reviewed publications, Midyear poster, taught a lecture in my academic rotation, Rho Chi, PLS
-Leadership positions: SSHP President, ACCP VP, fraternity treasurer, chair of several student org. committees, school committee member
-Community service: lots through various student organizations, including the usual health fairs, drug take-back events, and a charitable pharmacy organization; spent my summers volunteering with the Appalachian Trail Conservancy and other non-pharmacy-related organizations
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: minimal (brief stint as a tech at an LTC before pharm school)
-Work experience outside of pharmacy: Summer intern for a professor in undergrad
-Number and type of residencies applied to: 9, mix of academic medical centers and larger community hospitals
-Number of interview invites: 3, all at community hospitals where I had either had rotations or knew the program director
-Where you actually matched: Ranked all 3 and matched with my #1 at a large community hospital in a major metro area in the Southeast

Last edited:
-GPA: 3.80
-Type of PharmD program (3 or 4 year): 4 year, preceded with BSc degree.
-Geographic location (region or city if desired): Southeast
-Activities: worked as laboratory technician and laboratory manager for basic science/clinical research lab throughout pharmacy school (all four years). Had 7 peer-reviewed publications at the time of residency application (two first author). No retail or hospital technician experience (ever).
-Leadership positions: two relatively minor organization leadership positions
-Community service: Significant; over 400 hours of Habitat for Humanity volunteering throughout pharmacy school and undergrad, attended 3-5 community service events per year for one of my leadership positions years 1 and 2.
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: none outside of my research experience.
-Work experience outside of pharmacy: worked in the restaurant industry for 5 years prior to pharmacy school (during undergrad); this was something I sold on programs as a vessel for learning excellent communication skills, teamwork, etc.
-Number and type of residencies applied to: applied to 7 top tier programs with 2 being at NCI cancer centers.
-Number of interview invites: received four interviews - 2 NCI cancer centers and two nationally recognized/OLD PGY-1 programs.
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, etc): matched at my fourth choice - NCI cancer center in the Southeast. I knew it was going to be tough as all the programs I applied to and interviewed at are extremely competitive - my program received > 100 applications for ONE spot. Overall I am so thankful and feel very lucky. If I could go back I would apply to a few more low-profile programs as no matter how competitive one is, you can get screwed in the match at these programs.