2015-2016 Anesthesiology Applications and Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mybubbles627

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

I recreated the googledoc from last year for this years applicants. I hope people find this useful.

https://docs dot google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-qtDBp0xx5uuPikLkTuL-cdZpvPaJosmm69C1MgqJb8/edit?widget=true&headers=false&rm=minimal&pli=1#gid=0

Copy the above text, then paste it into the search browser. Then delete the dot and change to docs.google and it will work.

***Please fill out the interview dates tab in addition to the invites tab so people know generally what days that program interviews***

I will update the doc and put it in order of Step 1 scores so people can find their name easier as people continue to add themselves.

Please don't change peoples information or put false information into this spreadsheet. It took a lot of work to put together and is meant to help everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know why it is just showing the whole googledoc instead of the link to it. Is that okay? If anyone has suggestions as to how that can be fixed/added let me know! Also, if anything is missing or you would like added please tell me that too.

EDIT: Does anyone know how why the link isn't showing and is just showing the whole google doc? Or am I the only one seeing that cause I posted it?

Last edited:
This spreadsheet provided comfort to one very anxious med student! Thought it was normal/routine to have half your invites come out the first day. For me, crickets.

Reactions: 1 user
Does NIH top 40 refer to your med school? Because I'm having a hard time believing that only 3/24 posters on this board go to a top 40 school. Also, is research by years or publications? Whatwhat, how did you manage to get >30??

Members don't see this ad :)
Long time lurker, finally joined to contribute to this thread. This is an awesome googledoc, thanks for starting it mybubbles627. Good luck to everyone this application/interview season!

Reactions: 1 users
Is last year's spreadsheet available anywhere? I cant seem to find it.

Thanks for this document.

Wondering what people's LOR status is at this point. I have 2 in, but waiting on 2 more. Anyone have any insight into how much
that affects invites?

U of Minnesota invite (9/17). U of Kentucky invite (9/21).

Yale 9/21.

I'm not sure about the letter conundrum...anyone? It won't affect me but might help the kiddos at my school.

For those who have gotten interview invitations, PLEASE also post the dates and if the program pays for a hotel in the "Interview dates" tab of the spreadsheet.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if it matters when you interview? Do you have a better chance interviewing earlier or is it better to just interview when it fits into your schedule?

From what my advisor has told me, it doesn't matter - especially not from the program's perspective. They don't make their rank list until everyone has interviewed.

The only consideration would be to maybe schedule a few of programs that are lower on your list early, if you have that luxury, as practice/warm-up interviews. Then try and schedule your top programs somewhere in the middle of interview season.

mybubbles627,

thanks for making the spreadsheet :)

I noticed that some people listed their names 2 or even 3 times in the "interview offers" tab for the same program? Why lol
Also, U-Florida should be separated into UF Jax and UF Gainesville

You welcome! I am glad you find it useful.

The "same name" is people using Anon for Anonymous rather than coming up with a different anonymous name. Therefore, there ends up being multiple Anon usernames making it look like the same name is listed for interview offers.

Also, whoever is messing with the spreadsheet and doing things like putting random letters on the number of apps, please stop. I don't want to have to make this spreadsheet private because people think its funny to ruin something that helps a lot of people.

Reactions: 2 users
So...I haven't gotten any invites yet...when should I start freaking out?

Don't they all come out Oct. 1?
That was what I thought

Also, whoever is messing with the spreadsheet and doing things like putting random letters on the number of apps, please stop. I don't want to have to make this spreadsheet private because people think its funny to ruin something that helps a lot of people.
I don't know if this is intentional - I will occasionally try to CNTL+F to search and I accidentally insert a lowercase "f" into a block. I think it's more likely that people are trying to look around are accidentally messing with the info in it.

Programs that you've applied to - have they sent invites to others on the spreadsheet? How do you stack up to them? And from last years document, when did they start sending invites? And if you can check the stats of the people they sent invites to on that document, how do you stack up to that? I am similarly experiencing a neurosis about this, which I recognize is unrealistic (most programs won't start interviewing for at least a month from now) but can't -- and don't -- really feel like trying to stop.

Also, my advisor told me a lot of programs may wait until deans letters are released to offer interviews. Think about how important MS3 (and MS4) evals are - programs don't have these yet.

I understand completely that no matter what anybody says, you will probably still freak out (if you haven't already). This is a very scary process with so much going on that we don't know about. I had my big freak out two days ago, at my clinical site, in front of the attending. Luckily he just laughed at me, but he also told me that this happens every year. That they review the applications in waves, some random, some first come first serve, some alphabetical, some by score, it just depends on the program. He also said most programs don't send out their biggest batch of invites until after the MSPEs are in.

Try your best not to have a meltdown like I did in front of your attending. Your invites are coming.

I understand completely that no matter what anybody says, you will probably still freak out (if you haven't already). This is a very scary process with so much going on that we don't know about. I had my big freak out two days ago, at my clinical site, in front of the attending. Luckily he just laughed at me, but he also told me that this happens every year. That they review the applications in waves, some random, some first come first serve, some alphabetical, some by score, it just depends on the program. He also said most programs don't send out their biggest batch of invites until after the MSPEs are in.

Try your best not to have a meltdown like I did in front of your attending. Your invites are coming.

heh at least your attending was cool about it. Don't worry too much, it's still very early

Thanks guys! I actually looked at last year's spreadsheet: most of the places I applied to sent out invites in October, so that makes me feel a little better. My stats aren't as strong as some of you all, so I'm a little more neurotic, lol. I'll chill. Good luck guys!

I don't know why it is just showing the whole googledoc instead of the link to it. Is that okay? If anyone has suggestions as to how that can be fixed/added let me know! Also, if anything is missing or you would like added please tell me that too.

EDIT: Does anyone know how why the link isn't showing and is just showing the whole google doc? Or am I the only one seeing that cause I posted it?[/QU

Every figure out how to post the link? Maybe if you just go to your google doc and click share and then copy the URL that it generates and paste that into a post?

Can we add a column somewhere about which programs have dinner (and whether it's night before/day of)? Maybe in the interview dates tab?

I'm aware this is applicant dependant, but what seems to be the magic # of programs at which to interview in order to ensure matching? Does 12-15 sound reasonable?

If you look at charting outcomes in the match, for anesthesia, the "magic" number seems to be 12. If you rank 12 different programs (advanced and categorical do not count as different), you have a 99% chance of matching. However, you also have a 95% chance of matching by ranking 8 programs. So yeah, anything over 12 is great.

If you look at charting outcomes in the match, for anesthesia, the "magic" number seems to be 12. If you rank 12 different programs (advanced and categorical do not count as different), you have a 99% chance of matching. However, you also have a 95% chance of matching by ranking 8 programs. So yeah, anything over 12 is great.

Thanks for the info!

I think he means the national average for anesthesia is around a 230, but on SDN its around a 250 plus interviews