***2015-2016 MD/PhD General Discussion***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BR2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For misc. questions and discussion.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
In line with what @this_is_the_worst suggested, I'm waiting on:

Baylor,
Northwestern,
Harvard,
Columbia (but I guess that would be for md only now?)

I'm waiting on:
Case Western
Northwestern
UMass
UConn
Tufts
Columbia
Minnesota
Maryland

Members don't see this ad :)
Northwestern was in decision meeting last Friday when I called... Not sure how many spots are left .... Tufts and Maryland also still reviewing applications

I'm going to list the ones I'm waiting on and their final interview dates (according to the calendar that was posted somewhere on here), I've found the dates helpful to know what I should completely give up on!

Drexel (1/13)
Dartmouth (2/10)
Maryland (2/15)
OHSU (1/28)
Case Western (2/25)
U Mass (1/15)
SUNY Buffalo (3/9)
Minnesota (2/15)
Tufts (Unknown)

Last edited:
Also waiting on Maryland. It has 2/15 interview day.

Anyone else anxiously waiting to hear back from Vandy post-interview? They said they would release their decision by mid-December...

I am waiting on Michigan, Minnesota and Colorado. I know Michigan has given out a fair number of rejections, but we are getting pretty late here (c'mon Michigan -- show me some love:love::love::love:). Minnesota and Colorado go fairly late in the February for their last interview dates, so I am keeping my fingers crossed for those two as well! If anyone has info on silent rejections for these schools, I'd appreciate the info.

Anyone else anxiously waiting to hear back from Vandy post-interview? They said they would release their decision by mid-December...

Yes I'm waiting to hear back from them as well, interviewed 11/20. If I remember correctly they said we would get an email from them before the holidays and it could be either an acceptance or a "we're waiting to interview everyone else first" sort of decision. Hopefully we hear today! (If not, maybe Monday? If we don't hear from them on Monday guessing it will be after the holidays)

Yes I'm waiting to hear back from them as well, interviewed 11/20. If I remember correctly they said we would get an email from them before the holidays and it could be either an acceptance or a "we're waiting to interview everyone else first" sort of decision. Hopefully we hear today! (If not, maybe Monday? If we don't hear from them on Monday guessing it will be after the holidays)
Depending on your definition of "the holidays" you may have as much as another month to wait.

Depending on your definition of "the holidays" you may have as much as another month to wait.

I think Dr. Williams explicitly said mid-December (we interviewed on the same day). Ugh this is my dream school. Have been wasting the precious first week of my winter break in agony waiting to hear back lol.

I think Dr. Williams explicitly said mid-December (we interviewed on the same day). Ugh this is my dream school. Have been wasting the precious first week of my winter break in agony waiting to hear back lol.

I interviewed there too and am DYING to hear back. They said that the adcom meets after every 2 interview weekends (11/20 and 12/4). They met on December 16th and they will let us know definitely before Christmas. Good luck to everyone :)

Does it make send to have a list going? Just add the schools you are waiting to hear from or put information by the ones you know??
Here's our list so far

(date is last interview)

Baylor
Case Western (2/25)
Columbia
Drexel (1/13)
Dartmouth (2/10)
Harvard
Hofstra (end feb)
Maryland (2/15)
Minnesota (2/15)
Maryland
Northwestern
OHSU (1/28)
RNJMS
RRWJ last week had 7 more interview slots to give out
SUNY Buffalo (3/9)
Temple
Tufts
UMass (1/15)
UConn
UCSF
UCLA
Vandy (post interview) "If I remember correctly they said we would get an email from them before the holidays and it could be either an acceptance or a "we're waiting to interview everyone else first""I think Dr. Williams explicitly said mid-December "/They met on December 16th and they will let us know definitely before Christmas.

I don't know if this is helpful, but this is all our posts so far!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am waiting on Michigan, Minnesota and Colorado. I know Michigan has given out a fair number of rejections, but we are getting pretty late here (c'mon Michigan -- show me some love:love::love::love:). Minnesota and Colorado go fairly late in the February for their last interview dates, so I am keeping my fingers crossed for those two as well! If anyone has info on silent rejections for these schools, I'd appreciate the info.

I called the MSTP office at Michigan yesterday and they said they have finished giving out interview invites for the season...

Longtime lurker, thanks for setting this up everyone! - Added some interview dates/info

(date is last interview)

Baylor (1/29)
Case Western (2/25)
-Columbia - last MSTP interviews out
Drexel (1/13)
Dartmouth (2/10)
Emory (2/9)
Harvard (1/12)
Hofstra (end of Feb)
Maryland (2/15)
-Michigan - last MSTP interviews out
Minnesota (2/15)
Northwestern (2/4)
OHSU (1/28)
RNJMS
RRWJ - week of 12/11 had 7 more interview slots to give out
SUNY Buffalo (3/9)
Temple
Tufts (1/27)
UMass (1/15)
UConn
UCSF (1/20)
UCLA
UWisc (2/21)
Vandy - post interview: "If I remember correctly they said we would get an email from them before the holidays and it could be either an acceptance or a "we're waiting to interview everyone else first""I think Dr. Williams explicitly said mid-December "/They met on December 16th and they will let us know definitely before Christmas.

So I know there was a group of SDNers still waiting to here about interview invites/rejections from Duke, and speculation was we should hear this week. Has anybody heard anything yet? Still nothing for me...

Added UVA Info

(date is last interview)

Baylor (1/29)
Case Western (2/25)
Drexel (1/13)
Dartmouth (2/10)
Emory (2/9)
Harvard (1/12)
Hofstra (end of Feb)
Maryland (2/15)
Minnesota (2/15)
Northwestern (2/4)
OHSU (1/28)
RNJMS
SUNY Buffalo (3/9)
Temple
Tufts (1/27)
UMass (1/15)
UConn
UCSF (1/20)
UCLA
UVA (2/26)
UWisc (2/21)
Vandy - post interview: "If I remember correctly they said we would get an email from them before the holidays and it could be either an acceptance or a "we're waiting to interview everyone else first""I think Dr. Williams explicitly said mid-December "/They met on December 16th and they will let us know definitely before Christmas.

I'll add Chicago to the list.

Baylor (1/29)
Case Western (2/25)
Chicago (pre-interview hold)
Drexel (1/13)
Dartmouth (2/10)
Emory (2/9)
Harvard (1/12)
Hofstra (end of Feb)
Maryland (2/15)
Minnesota (2/15)
Northwestern (2/4)
OHSU (1/28)
RNJMS
SUNY Buffalo (3/9)
Temple
Tufts (1/27)
UMass (1/15)
UConn
UCSF (1/20)
UCLA
UVA (2/26)
UWisc (2/21)

Also, can someone share the MD/PhD Google Calendar again? I forgot where the link was.

I should know better than to joke with pre-meds.

Reactions: 1 users

Thanks!

I also just called Columbia and Chicago to confirm what was expected. All silent Columbia applications have been transferred to the MD program. For Chicago, it sounds like all of the interview spots are probably taken/I probably wouldn't get an interview this late in cycle. I'm gonna go ahead to the rejections thread and update it now.

Baylor (1/29)
Case Western (2/25)
Chicago (pre-interview hold, but officially told that's likely a rejection now)
Drexel (1/13)
Dartmouth (2/10)
Emory (2/9)
Harvard (1/12)
Hofstra (end of Feb)
Maryland (2/15)
Minnesota (2/15)
Northwestern (2/4)
OHSU (1/28)
RNJMS
SUNY Buffalo (3/9)
Temple
Tufts (1/27)
UMass (1/15)
UConn
UCSF (1/20)
UCLA
UVA (2/26)
UWisc (2/21)

Is anybody still waiting to hear from TriI post-interview? I was there in November and did not receive a notification on 12/8.

So... one of the schools I'm waiting on is Cincinnati... I figured by now it was just a silent rejection because their last interview day was listed as the first week of December, but I just saw somebody post about getting an interview invite for the last week of January, anyone have any news about what's going on there?

Also, is there anyway we can separate the lists for who's waiting on interviews and who's waiting post-interview?

Adding Duke

Baylor (1/29)
Case Western (2/25)
Drexel (1/13)
Dartmouth (2/10)
Duke (01/21)
Emory (2/9)
Harvard (1/12)
Hofstra (end of Feb)
Maryland (2/15)
Minnesota (2/15)
Northwestern (2/4)
OHSU (1/28)
RNJMS
SUNY Buffalo (3/9)
Temple
Tufts (1/27)
UMass (1/15)
UConn
UCSF (1/20)
UCLA
UVA (2/26)
UWisc (2/21)
Vandy - post interview: "If I remember correctly they said we would get an email from them before the holidays and it could be either an acceptance or a "we're waiting to interview everyone else first""I think Dr. Williams explicitly said mid-December "/They met on December 16th and they will let us know definitely before Christmas.[/QUOTE]

Cincinnati had a large number of applications this year and decided to add an interview at the end of Jan

So... one of the schools I'm waiting on is Cincinnati... I figured by now it was just a silent rejection because their last interview day was listed as the first week of December, but I just saw somebody post about getting an interview invite for the last week of January, anyone have any news about what's going on there?

Also, is there anyway we can separate the lists for who's waiting on interviews and who's waiting post-interview?
Sure if you wanna do it, do it!

Great idea with this thread!!!! Thanks so much for getting it started, @this_is_the_worst and @BR2016!
To contribute to what we have here, I'll add in commentary for Duke and Emory. I sent in updates to both of them recently and got some (minimal, but some!) information. Many of the programs I'm waiting for are on this list already, but I've added a few that are not (UT Southwestern - probably done here because their last dates are in January, UC Irvine, and Iowa - which I added really late, but why not? LOL).
I'll also attempt to separate into pre- and post-interview, but please modify as necessary.

Pre-Interview
Baylor (1/29)
Case Western (2/25)
Drexel (1/13)
Dartmouth (2/10)
Duke (01/21) - "Called to touch base about an app update. Was told that each app is reviewed once and can be rejected or given II, and that those who are still 'alive' will be up for a second review soon. It didn't sound super optimistic, but I know there were a few spots left as of about 12/4. She said they were trying to re-review everyone by the end of the week, but 2 weeks have since passed so I am guessing they are behind."
Emory (2/9) - "Was told that I would probably hear back around the first week of January - guessing this is when they will send out final invites for the 2/9 date."
Harvard (1/12)
Hofstra (end of Feb)
Iowa (1/15, but only 3 total dates so may still give invites?)
Maryland (2/15)
Minnesota (2/15)
Northwestern (2/4)
OHSU (1/28)
RNJMS
SUNY Buffalo (3/9)
Temple
Tufts (1/27)
UMass (1/15)
UConn
UC-Irvine
UCLA
UCSF (1/20)
UT Southwestern (1/15)
UVA (2/26)
UWisc (2/21)

Post-Interview
Vandy - post interview: "If I remember correctly they said we would get an email from them before the holidays and it could be either an acceptance or a "we're waiting to interview everyone else first" / "I think Dr. Williams explicitly said mid-December "/ "They met on December 16th and they will let us know definitely before Christmas."

Interviewed at Northwestern in October and haven't heard anything since then.

Anyone that interviewed with Pritzker MSTP October and on hear from them yet?

Anybody hear from Duke yet that interviewed before December? The website says they'll release 10-12 acceptances sometime in December. I would guess it will be soon given the holidays coming up will probably shut things down a bit.

So MD folks are hearing back from Vandy right now... Any of you hear back from Vandy post-interview today?

@ejay19955 Nothing yet. Just gotta try to be patient. :)
MD applicants usually hear back before us anyway it seems.

Here's hoping that Vandy gets back to us today!

Waiting on Drexel and UMinn. Called to follow up with Drexel and got a rather catty response (the MD admissions office seemed overwhelmed), and UMinn is flat-out ignoring me--Neither indicative of interest in me, nor conducive to maintaining my interest in them. Go figure.

Edit--called Drexel MD/PhD (I have loved my interactions with all MD/PhD offices to date). Turns out there was a little snafu, and a reject (not surprising, strictly by the numbers I am below average for MD and MD/PhD). Likely too late for MD train, but either case I'm not particularly concerned.

Last edited:
So MD folks are hearing back from Vandy right now... Any of you hear back from Vandy post-interview today?

Here's hoping that Vandy gets back to us today!

Y'all are definitely on my level as far as anxiety to hear back from Vandy, and I'm not sure if that makes me more or less anxious. :p

Anybody hear from Duke yet that interviewed before December? The website says they'll release 10-12 acceptances sometime in December. I would guess it will be soon given the holidays coming up will probably shut things down a bit.

I haven't heard anything, and I interviewed in September. I was wondering the same thing :/

I haven't heard anything, and I interviewed in September. I was wondering the same thing :/

Me toooooo
My feelings on the matter:
giphy.gif

Waiting on Drexel and UMinn. Called to follow up with Drexel and got a rather catty response (the MD admissions office seemed overwhelmed), and UMinn is flat-out ignoring me--Neither indicative of interest in me, nor conducive to maintaining my interest in them. Go figure.

Edit--called Drexel MD/PhD (I have loved my interactions with all MD/PhD offices to date). Turns out there was a little snafu, and a reject (not surprising, strictly by the numbers I am below average for MD and MD/PhD). Likely too late for MD train, but either case I'm not particularly concerned.
Total silence for me too on Minnesota. I haven't called anyone yet -- just thought I would let it play out. I would love to hear from Virginia, who has been stubbornly silent as well!

Total silence for me too on Minnesota. I haven't called anyone yet -- just thought I would let it play out. I would love to hear from Virginia, who has been stubbornly silent as well!

I spoke to Minnesota a couple of weeks ago and they said they were still pouring over applications. It's definitely a process. Lol

I spoke to Minnesota a couple of weeks ago and they said they were still pouring over applications. It's definitely a process. Lol
Thanks -- still keeping my hopes alive! ;)

Well I've called, left VM, and emailed to no avail. Just one VM and one followup email (to my no-response VM). Oh, and several calls without leaving VMs (no one picks up). Don't want to pester beyond that...

Edit: oh and several months later I sent an ITA email (no response).

Has anyone actually talked to Vandy admissions about when they would release decisions?

MD/PhD CYCLE FOR ENTRY IN 2016

422 - TOTAL IN-PLAY (NA,RS,OT,HO,IN) - still being considered
37 - W/D BEFORE ACCEPT (WB)
- (i.e.: OUT of the GAME)
1133 - TOTAL REJECTIONS (PR,PW,RJ) - (Some applicants will be taken back into acceptances)
12 - ALTERNATE LIST (AL)
282 - TOTAL ACCEPTS OFFERED (AC,DF,EM,MA,RA,WA)
- eventually ~ 750 - 775
(AC) - 280 - ACCEPTED TO ENTER (i.e.: CURRENT CLASS) - eventually ~ 610 - 640
(WA) - 2 - W/D AFTER ACCEPT​
TOTAL - 1886 - TOTAL APPLICANTS

notes:
(NA) - NO FINAL ACTION
(RS) - REQUEST SECONDARY
(OT) - OTHER (School's Choice)
(HO) - HOLD
(IN) - INTERVIEW
(PR) - PRELIM REJECTION
(PW) - PASSIVE WITHDRAWAL
(RJ) - NOT ACCEPTED
(WB) - WITHDREW BEFORE ACCEPT
(AL) - ALTERNATE LIST
(AC) - ACCEPTED TO ENTER
(DF) - DEFER TO FUTURE
(EM) - EARLY MATRICULATION
(MA) - MATRICULANTS
(RA) - RESCINDED ACCEPTANCE
(WA) - WITHDREW AFTER ACCEPT

Reactions: 8 users
Still primarily waiting on UCSD and U Minnesota. Anybody know the last day UCSD interviews? I'm honestly weirded out about how long I have been in the running at these places, especially UCSD. I was out by November last year at UCSD, and they've rejected so many people - I wonder if I'm actually on the bubble, or if they just haven't gotten around to rejecting me yet.

Also waiting on a few other schools, but they're either absurd reaches (i.e., Harvard and UCSF), or I would probably rather attend a school I have already been accepted to.

Still primarily waiting on UCSD and U Minnesota. Anybody know the last day UCSD interviews? I'm honestly weirded out about how long I have been in the running at these places, especially UCSD. I was out by November last year at UCSD, and they've rejected so many people - I wonder if I'm actually on the bubble, or if they just haven't gotten around to rejecting me yet.

Also waiting on a few other schools, but they're either absurd reaches (i.e., Harvard and UCSF), or I would probably rather attend a school I have already been accepted to.

Also Silence at Uminn here (eh, prefer mayo anyway)...

+1 on the UMinn silence. Glad I'm not alone.