2015-2016 University of California - San Diego Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cyberdyne 101

It's a dry heat
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary:
This should be a true autobiographical statement. Topics to be included are family, childhood, primary and secondary school years, undergraduate years, and, if applicable, what you've done since completing your bachelor's degree. You should also discuss the motivational factors which led you to a career in medicine including any disadvantages or obstacles which might put your accomplishments into context. A repeat of your AMCAS statement will not be acceptable. (6000 characters)

Good luck!! :luck::luck::luck::luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Courtesy of Ms. Nutella:

Stats

2-year preclinical; pass/fail.-year preclinical; pass/fail. interviewed candidates: ½ are waitlisted, ⅓ are accepted, ⅙ are rejected
  • As per interview day, roughly 20-40 applicants are accepted off of the waitlist
Secondary application (there is pre-screening)
Secondary application and status page
From the previous cycle (it might be different this year):
This should be a true autobiographical statement. Topics to be included are family, childhood, primary and secondary school years, undergraduate years, and, if applicable, what you've done since completing your bachelor's degree. You should also discuss the motivational factors which led you to a career in medicine including any disadvantages or obstacles which might put your accomplishments into context. A repeat of your AMCAS statement will not be acceptable. (6000 characters)

Important dates (2014-2015)
*Note: UCSD will typically request your SSN several days to a week before sending out secondary invitations. This is not a spam/phishing email!*
First secondary: July 11th, 2014
First interview invite: August 7th, 2014
First pre-interview hold: October 23rd, 2014 (apparently ~2,000 applicants get placed on hold and 30-40 are eventually extended interview invites in January)
First acceptance: October 30th, 2014 via email
First waitlist: October 30th, 2014 via email
First post-interview rejection: October 30th, 2014 via email
First pre-interview rejection: January 27th, 2015 via email
First acceptance off of waitlist: March 25th, 2015 via email

Curriculum

2-year preclinical; pass/fail.

Interview

8 MMI stations, 8 minutes apiece. Closed-file. Applicants are allowed to take notes before entering station.

Update Letter Policy

As per interview day, UCSD does not accept post-interview updates.

Of Note
  • UCSD offers medical students two years of subsidized housing in university-owned facilities for ~$500/month.
  • As per interview day, the average debt upon graduation was ~100K.
130312geisel.jpg

Last edited:
Does UCSD award merit scholarships?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Born in California, but now a midwesterner. Will California show any love for this once a California Girl?? We'll see.

Does UCSD look for applicants who speak Spanish?

Does UCSD look for applicants who speak Spanish?

It's an excellent ability to have – and will certainly be a huge asset when on rotations – but it is by no means a requirement. I was accepted here and my Spanish skills are decidedly sub-conversational. ;) This is probably why a lot of these schools offer intro-level medical Spanish electives.

I saw you posted a similar question on the UCLA thread and I think this same answer still stands. Unfortunately, I don't have the percentage of students per class who are Spanish-speaking, but I know plenty of folks at UCLA and UCSD who can't speak a lick of Español. If I recall correctly, the only CA program that requires Spanish proficiency is UC Irvine's PRIME-LC program (which is <20 students).

Reactions: 1 users
It's an excellent ability to have – and will certainly be a huge asset when on rotations – but it is by no means a requirement. I was accepted here and my Spanish skills are decidedly sub-conversational. ;) This is probably why a lot of these schools offer intro-level medical Spanish electives.

I saw you posted a similar question on the UCLA thread and I think this same answer still stands. Unfortunately, I don't have the percentage of students per class who are Spanish-speaking, but I know plenty of folks at UCLA and UCSD who can't speak a lick of Español. If I recall correctly, the only CA program that requires Spanish proficiency is UC Irvine's PRIME-LC program (which is <20 students).
¿Como se dice "necesito Nutella" en inglés?

I'm from San Diego and I stopped by to tour the school about a month ago. It seems like a great place to study with a very chill environment. Although it is very clear that they also work hard. Everything for the first two years is strictly Pass/fail. High pass is incorporated into the third year but besides that there is no competition between the students. It is definitely an environment for group learning and cooperation.

This is the type of secondary that kills me. So broad...:confused:

This is the type of secondary that kills me. So broad...:confused:
I agree. Also why does ghastly look so happy in your avatar. That is really freaky. Almost as freaky as writing an autobiography for a school thats longer than the personal statement

Members don't see this ad :)
+5, but please don't send out the secondary soon, I'm so inundated right now. Take your time UCSD!!

Are all you guys verified?

Are all you guys verified?
Yes, already verfied. Only missing one letter, but from my PI of 2 years!!
Doing a performance dance around the house right now (that is what I call pulling my hair out).

Reactions: 3 users
+5, but please don't send out the secondary soon, I'm so inundated right now. Take your time UCSD!!

Seriously... I have gotten 15+ secondaries so far and have only submitted a handful. Today I got 8 secondaries alone...

Yes, already verfied. Only missing one letter, but from my PI of 2 years!!
Doing a performance dance around the house right now (that is what I call pulling my hair out).
Haha, congratulations. I'm sooo closed to getting verified, so I just have to hang tight. I'll work on my others in the mean time. Really hoping for a secondary from this place. Is it just GPA/MCAT based or are there more stuff? like PS and LORS?

Did anyone get a email from UCSD stating that they need your social security number to proceed to the secondary application???? I find it pretty odd...the email looks sorta sketch too

Did anyone get a email from UCSD stating that they need your social security number to proceed to the secondary application???? I find it pretty odd...the email looks sorta sketch too
Yup, see all the posts above. Need to log into their system per the email.

Got the SSN request too...does the request mean that we are getting a secondary?

It means you might get a secondary.

Does this mean that not everyone who has a verified AMCAS application will get this request for their SSN? I think I'm reading into this too much.

Does this mean that not everyone who has a verified AMCAS application will get this request for their SSN? I think I'm reading into this too much.
I don't know if everyone gets a SSN request, but just because you get an SSN request doesn't mean you'll get a secondary. However, you cannot get a secondary unless you get an SSN request.

Has anyone else received an account authentication request just now?

lol I love how every small information request is documented here

lol I love how every small information request is documented here

it's great. just wait until post-interview decisions. interviews are on thursdays and they usually get decisions out the next monday/tuesday.

Not me... Refreshing this page and the Applicant Status website like mad.

Gah same! I'm assuming we'd get an email if the status website is refreshed? I wonder if there's any chance we'll here this late in the evening. Davis and SD seem to be sending them out later than in previous years...

Does anyone still see this on the application portal: "We have your SSN but have not yet created your UCSD student record. This process can take anywhere from 2 - 6 business days as we process things on a weekly cycle. Please try to be patient. After the student record has been created, you will be notified of the next step to take.", despite being able to login and having a User ID?

Does anyone still see this on the application portal: "We have your SSN but have not yet created your UCSD student record. This process can take anywhere from 2 - 6 business days as we process things on a weekly cycle. Please try to be patient. After the student record has been created, you will be notified of the next step to take.", despite being able to login and having a User ID?

Yes, I have the same message - but what site are you logging in on? I was assigned a PID/username and made a password, but I have not found where I can log in with it. The email link redirects to the main admissions page.

I tried TritonLink, but my PID is not active there yet.

Received the SSN request today! Given how many secondaries I have pending right now I'm happy if UCSD takes their own sweet time sending theirs out.

Reactions: 2 users
me too

Yes, I have the same message - but what site are you logging in on? I was assigned a PID/username and made a password, but I have not found where I can log in with it. The email link redirects to the main admissions page.

I tried TritonLink, but my PID is not active there yet.
https://meded.ucsd.edu/asa/admissions/applicants_no_sso/