2015 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

milski

1K member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is that time of the year again! AMCAS 2015 opened today and we can all start writing essays, entering grades and all other sorts of tediously exciting activities. So, who is applying this year? Are you gals and guys ready? Are you going to leave everything for the last moment (like I did last year)? Can't wait to hear from you. :) And best of luck, of course!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Had my final meeting with my advisor yesterday. Committee letter is in the pipe. PS is written, with some minor editing to do.

****'s getting real!

Had my final meeting with my advisor yesterday. Committee letter is in the pipe. PS is written, with some minor editing to do.

****'s getting real!

You were able to get a committee letter? Wow. My school's advisers didn't even want to talk to me since I wasn't in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

Does anyone have any idea what type of job I should get? Haven't worked in sometime, and scribe positions seemed to be all filled up.

I'm not a post-bac, 40 year old first degree student. In retrospect NOT going to college after high-school may have been one of the best decisions I ever made, no way I would have had the performance I've had now at the time and now I don't have a bunch of GPA repair work to do.

Reactions: 2 users
It is that time of the year again! AMCAS 2015 opened today and we can all start writing essays, entering grades and all other sorts of tediously exciting activities. So, who is applying this year? Are you gals and guys ready? Are you going to leave everything for the last moment (like I did last year)? Can't wait to hear from you. :) And best of luck, of course!

It's kind of a weird feeling seeing this now after having gone through it (successfully!). I wish everyone luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Started working on my app yesterday...much work to do on my PS and yet to take the MCAT, here's to a crazy whirlwind of a spring/summer! Good luck everyone!

It's kind of a weird feeling seeing this now after having gone through it (successfully!). I wish everyone luck.
Deja vu all over again. :) AMCAS even kept most of the information from the last cycle, excluding LORs and the schools where I applied.

I remember looking at progress threads for inspiration over the last couple of years and cannot believe that it is finally here and its ME that is in the application thread! Good Luck to everyone this cycle!

Members don't see this ad :)
They didn't wipe your work/activities? Mine are gone
They actually did. Sorry for the wrong info - I clicked on a few tabs and noticed that everything is there and decided that the activities survived. There was a message that they wiped them out due to some differences in the application but I don't see anything different.

They actually did. Sorry for the wrong info - I clicked on a few tabs and noticed that everything is there and decided that the activities survived. There was a message that they wiped them out due to some differences in the application but I don't see anything different.
I didn't see any difference either, I guess they just can't make it too easy on us haha

I didn't see any difference either, I guess they just can't make it too easy on us haha
On the bright side, the coursework is there, yay! That was a pain to enter last year.

Good luck everybody. I'm rooting for you :)

Reactions: 3 users
Good luck all! It's crazy how fast this year has gone in retrospect. Maybe med school will go that fast :naughty:

These forums were a great help so please just PM me if you have any questions. I'd love to give back.

Reactions: 1 users
Opened up AMCAS on Thursday, need to send in transcripts since I have like 5 of them. I do not have a PS really in shape at all, so I need to work on that. Can't believe it's already here!

*sigh* haven't had a chance to open it yet- working on end of semester papers now, finals next week and mcat on the 22nd. Fortunately most of my stuff is ready to go- essay and activities typed up and just need final editing before pasting in, LORs and committee letter mostly in. Dreading entering the transcripts though...and forking over all the fees :(

Good luck to everybody :)

I was going to start this thread and realized that it was already in existence. Saweettt!!!
What are all your nontrad 'stories'?

I realize that I'm not as 'nontrad' as most of you, but I graduated in 2010 and am currently working my second job after life got in the way. I was supposed to move to ethiopia for a job in 2012, but had a 'failed' back surgery and couldn't go because I couldn't really walk. After a big gap on my resume (about a year) spent waiting to have surgery again and then looking for work, I started working in a research clinic (again-ish). So now I'm hoping to have a few publications that are submitted by the time I start interviews. I already have a submission and another paper or two in the works.

I had my committee interview last week, which kind of made me realize that this is really happening RIGHT NOW.

It's going to be a busy summer!

Started AMCAS 2015 app. Most sections done, still fine tuning my PS with help. I've entered most of my info, but I have 3 transcripts, 2/3 are done and my master's program isn't done until late July. As much as I want to submit on day 1 in June, I may do that just to get verified and apply to 1 school, and then send in the completed transcript from my master's in August. For my letters, 2 LOR writers have indicated their letters are done and they'll be sending them in shortly (I said before June 1). The other writer should get it going here pretty shortly, so all in all I feel pretty good. Can't believe I'm finally applying! Hahahahahha

Hello! I am hoping to submit on June 1 in order to get verified soon. Will AMCAS update your GPA if you take additional classes after you submit and get verified?

Deja vu all over again. :)
Sorry, I just couldn't resist posting this :p:
550x550xDeja_Moo.jpeg.pagespeed.ic._t5NpbjWFu.jpg

Best of luck to everyone and my most enthusiastic support to reapplicants!

Reactions: 6 users
Hello! I am hoping to submit on June 1 in order to get verified soon. Will AMCAS update your GPA if you take additional classes after you submit and get verified?
Yes. Since most who apply are juniors going into senior year it's very common to upload any summer grades and even fall grades. You'll be fine and good luck!

Gosh Amy, don't have a cow!
Haha, I had to google this expression. You learn something new every day :)
(Has this thread just been hijacked by last year's applicants?)

Welcome to the season of of crippling anxiety!!! Wow I really need a first draft of my PS....

You'll have to wait until 6/3, 6/1 is a Saturday this year and the applications submission starts on 6/3. ;)
Once you submit your application for verification, you won't be able to add any grades and the cGPA/sGPA on the application will stay as calculated based on what you have submitted at this point. Most of the time your last semester is not going to change your GPA significantly. You can update the schools with your most recent grades in update letters or you can try to sneak them in your secondaries - plenty of schools have a "Is there anything else you want to tell us" question there.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist posting this :p:
Best of luck to everyone and my most enthusiastic support to reapplicants!

:D

I have not been stalking you closely recently - have you decided where are you going to school this Fall?

Yes. Since most who apply are juniors going into senior year it's very common to upload any summer grades and even fall grades. You'll be fine and good luck!

Hm, I just said the opposite. :) Do you mean that you can update schools with grades by sending them directly or is there any contradiction about what you and me know about AMCAS?

Gosh Amy, don't have a cow!
Yes, don't buy a cow if you already got the milk! :p

Haha, I had to google this expression. You learn something new every day :)
(Has this thread just been hijacked by last year's applicants?)

I think I've mentioned that before, but you guys are more than welcome to apply again this year! I hear med school is pretty laid back with gobbles of free time. :p

You'll have to wait until 6/3, 6/1 is a Saturday this year and the applications submission starts on 6/3. ;)
Once you submit your application for verification, you won't be able to add any grades and the cGPA/sGPA on the application will stay as calculated based on what you have submitted at this point. Most of the time your last semester is not going to change your GPA significantly. You can update the schools with your most recent grades in update letters or you can try to sneak them in your secondaries - plenty of schools have a "Is there anything else you want to tell us" question there.

:D

I have not been stalking you closely recently - have you decided where are you going to school this Fall?

Hm, I just said the opposite. :) Do you mean that you can update schools with grades by sending them directly or is there any contradiction about what you and me know about AMCAS?

Yes, don't buy a cow if you already got the milk! :p

I think I've mentioned that before, but you guys are more than welcome to apply again this year! I hear med school is pretty laid back with gobbles of free time. :p
You can send them in and they won't be used to change your calculated GPA but they will be visible to the schools. That's my understanding. But like you said, one semester's worth of grades won't make much of impact on your calculated GPA anyway.

Went out for drinks for a lab member leaving tonight. My goal was to stick around till the attending, the chief of spine surgery, left for the evening and then go to the gym. Yeah.... That worked out super well...

FAIL!

Went out for drinks for a lab member leaving tonight. My goal was to stick around till the attending, the chief of spine surgery, left for the evening and then go to the gym. Yeah.... That worked out super well...

FAIL!
Yes, that's out there with the illusion that I will wake up early and go to the gym before going to work. :D

Submitted a transcript request today, need to chase the LOR writers over the next week or two.

Yes, that's out there with the illusion that I will wake up early and go to the gym before going to work. :D

Submitted a transcript request today, need to chase the LOR writers over the next week or two.

Nice. Everyone who hasn't get their transcripts in, I had mine delivered "on time" last year but AMCAS didn't mark them received until 10 days after they had been delivered.

In other news, I'm submitting an abstract for a first author presentation. The larger version of this will be submitted for a paper where I will also be first author. I have to have the manuscript ready by the end of the month. It's going to be a bussyyyy month!

Side note: I count as a non-trad right? I've been out of college for 4 years...

Well the attending, my boss, was dishing out pedagogical knowledge and just advice in general so I was happy to stick around. The next morning hurt. I was like 2 hours late to work hahaha.

Hey everyone, figured I would jump in this thread since I am applying this cycle. Very excited for things to get going here, still working on the finishing touches for my PS. I have been a pharmacist for the last 6 years working at a community pharmacy and as a consultant in nursing homes. I take my mcat in late june, plan is to be verified before mcat scores are released, applying mainly to DO. Best of luck to everyone, off to study orgo!

Hello to everyone! I am also applying this round.

I plan to take the MCAT beginning of August. I am getting very excited and a bit nervous. I am 33 years old.
I'm still trying to narrow down which schools I'm going to apply to.

I read through last years discussion board and I'm excited to be part of it this year.

Excited to see this thread up! I hope your years of preparation pays off. I was where you are, this time last year....who am I kidding, I was where you are three month ago, when I thought I had to reapply this cycle. This process is awful; but its awful for a reason. Don't give up. Don't stop trying. Even after you hit submit, keep going 110% in case you have to reapply. Keep all of your options open, and have a backup plan for your backup plan. I hope to see you all take over the Class of 2019! Good luck!

I am applying for the first time this year. Very excited, but also terrified! I can't seem to shake the negative voices in my head. But I am pushing onward and upward!

Right now the hardest thing for me is working on my personal statement. How is that going for everyone else?

I am applying for the first time this year. Very excited, but also terrified! I can't seem to shake the negative voices in my head. But I am pushing onward and upward!

Right now the hardest thing for me is working on my personal statement. How is that going for everyone else?

I'm also working hard on my personal statement. I'm all over the place with it. I think when you are a non-traditional student you can take it in so many different directions.

Hey all, just saw this thread
applying this year, fairly non trad as well, been out of school for about 10 years, been taking pre-reqs/retakes the last couple of years while working
took the mcats a couple weeks ago, about a month after my child was born, along with upcoming finals/assignments
pretty tough to study in a house with a crying baby but like all things in life, you deal with your choices/situation

Been lucky enough to have requested all transcripts (about 5 of them), and got about half of my requested LOR's in
about to start on my PS, any advice out there on what points you should hit on? Or the best way to approach writing this thing
Been hard to start because there's a monster hanging over my head whispering how important a role a good PS can play
Just start writing. You'll go through a zillion drafts but you'll be able to identify the pervasive themes and condense it into a coherent story. I went through about 25 typed pages of swill to get to mine, which I think was pretty good (15 ii from 28 secondaries). Once you have something you think tells your story get people to read it and give you feedback.

Hey all, just saw this thread
applying this year, fairly non trad as well, been out of school for about 10 years, been taking pre-reqs/retakes the last couple of years while working
took the mcats a couple weeks ago, about a month after my child was born, along with upcoming finals/assignments
pretty tough to study in a house with a crying baby but like all things in life, you deal with your choices/situation

Been lucky enough to have requested all transcripts (about 5 of them), and got about half of my requested LOR's in
about to start on my PS, any advice out there on what points you should hit on? Or the best way to approach writing this thing
Been hard to start because there's a monster hanging over my head whispering how important a role a good PS can play

Congratulations! I just had my first child in December. Isn't it a crazy experience? Will you be mentioning your child anywhere in the application process? I was thinking of including mention of him in specific family friendly school secondaries and interviews.

As for my PS, I too feel the weight of it's importance and it causes me to second guess myself.

Just start writing. You'll go through a zillion drafts but you'll be able to identify the pervasive themes and condense it into a coherent story. I went through about 25 typed pages of swill to get to mine, which I think was pretty good (15 ii from 28 secondaries). Once you have something you think tells your story get people to read it and give you feedback.

Makes sense, its better to have tons of stuff to cut down on rather than a blank sheet
Thanks, this is good advice, will definitely start that.

Congratulations! I just had my first child in December. Isn't it a crazy experience? Will you be mentioning your child anywhere in the application process? I was thinking of including mention of him in specific family friendly school secondaries and interviews.

As for my PS, I too feel the weight of it's importance and it causes me to second guess myself.

Thanks Leslie, yea it's nuts, but so fun. I plan on doing the same, where I'd mention him on select secondaires, and almost definitely on interviews. My only fear is that people will either percieve it as an excuse, or pre-excuse for poor performance, or as a hinderance for flexibility, when neither is really the case. You always hope it dosent go that way but it's hard to predict the opinions of people I dont know (ie. the adcoms). I'd like to think, in general, that since they're just normal people too, with families or atleast like the idea of it, that they will have a positive opinion of it. I mean, the profession is for people who love caring for people, isnt it?

Thanks Leslie, yea it's nuts, but so fun. I plan on doing the same, where I'd mention him on select secondaires, and almost definitely on interviews. My only fear is that people will either percieve it as an excuse, or pre-excuse for poor performance, or as a hinderance for flexibility, when neither is really the case. You always hope it dosent go that way but it's hard to predict the opinions of people I dont know (ie. the adcoms). I'd like to think, in general, that since they're just normal people too, with families or atleast like the idea of it, that they will have a positive opinion of it. I mean, the profession is for people who love caring for people, isnt it?

It is really hard to know how our life choices will be perceived. The best we can do is be honest and passionate, not embarrassed. I'm actually not sure what to do in my situation. I took four weeks off from work/research/volunteering before I gave birth and then I also took three months off after my son was born. I did go back to work when he was eight weeks old, but in a part-time capacity from home. Simply put, I am trying to enjoy and relish this time as his mother while he is tiny and while I have the opportunity.

Long story, but all that to say there is a gap in my application that may seem like I just petered out there at the end. In reality, I'm just doing something else. So, I'm not sure if I should be including any of this in my PS or what.

I would think if any of the interviewers see the gap as a concern they would ask...which would give you the perfect opportunity to mention your son and the fact that you were fortunate to be able to spend extra time with him when he was new...I can't imagine many would fault you overly much for that. :)

Well, 3/4 schools I've attended have transcript ordering online so $35 poorer, I've got those transcripts heading to AMCAS. Bonus: those 3/4 schools are approved senders. The other one I'm going to have to head to a UPS store and fax the request, but at least the transcript is free! Small victories, I suppose.

Makes sense, its better to have tons of stuff to cut down on rather than a blank sheet
Thanks, this is good advice, will definitely start that.

I hadn't even thought about not mentioning that I have a daughter.

Should I not? I figured that with my 3.8 gpa I could show that I am obviously a hard worker even though I have a family.

Do some schools discriminate against mothers?

I hadn't even thought about not mentioning that I have a daughter.

Should I not? I figured that with my 3.8 gpa I could show that I am obviously a hard worker even though I have a family.

Do some schools discriminate against mothers?
Discrimination against parents especially mothers is unfortunately found in every profession. It's just something to be aware of. I wouldn't go so far as to say a specific school discriminates. It would be something extremely hard to prove.

Well, 3/4 schools I've attended have transcript ordering online so $35 poorer, I've got those transcripts heading to AMCAS. Bonus: those 3/4 schools are approved senders. The other one I'm going to have to head to a UPS store and fax the request, but at least the transcript is free! Small victories, I suppose.
There are cheap online fax services. You never need to leave your house.

Hi all! I am a non-trad, went to law school straight from college (left after 1.5 years to pursue medicine) went straight into a self-made post-bacc, and just finished the May 8th MCAT!

I will be applying June 10th (the day my MCAT score is released). I am hoping the leaving law school thing won't cripple my applications. I am only applying in Southern California, which is scary...but I would be more than happy to attend a D.O. or M.D. progam (I just want to be a doctor!) I have requested all transcripts (as of today), have notified all letter writers of the deadline, and just really need to write my PS now.

Applying: UCR, UCI, UCSD, UCLA, USC, Loma Linda, Western-UCOMP (pomona), and MAYBE Touro- Henderson (if the wife wouldbe willing to move there)

3.73 Cgpa, 3.83 Sgpa; MCAT coming June 10th (I am guessing anywhere between 27-33), which obviously will hurt/help my application at most of the M.D. schools.

MY ECs are kind of weak - 6 months research (no publish); 150 hours in ER volunteer, 50+ hours of shadowing; but I am hoping that it is understandable since I was pursuing a different career originally.

LoR's from Research, work, volunteer, teacher, and shadowing.

Best of luck everyone!