[2016-2017] Emergency Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doggydog

Woof.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
ERAS goes live in a little over a month.

Hope everyone's rotations are going well so far.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Is there any existing excel file out there with all the programs on it?

I'm quicker at pressing the delete button than typing out program names for making an app list.

Is there any existing excel file out there with all the programs on it?

I'm quicker at pressing the delete button than typing out program names for making an app list.

Not that I know of. I've just been searching by state of Freida and/or ERAS and that's worked pretty well for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
In ERAS, the applicant can select to "authorize" USMLE transcript... is there anything else to do regarding step scores? (As in, are there any approvals/releases that need submitted within the NBME website?)

In ERAS, the applicant can select to "authorize" USMLE transcript... is there anything else to do regarding step scores? (As in, are there any approvals/releases that need submitted within the NBME website?)

Once you authorize it they will transmit whatever STEP scores you have now. If your STEP2 CK/CS scores are expected to come after the ERAS submission date (sept. 15?), then you will have to reauthorize it in order for your new scores to be viewed by the programs you applied to.

And awesjob @doggydog with getting this year's thread started.

Reactions: 1 user
So we can be relatively terse with our ERAS activity descriptions, yeah? That's character limit is suspect.

Last edited:
Yeah, speaking of character limit... the personal statement one is a whooping 28,000 characters.

My PS runs ~4,000 characters.

It feels like it is a nice concise package as written -- but are they really expected to be more lengthy?

Yeah, speaking of character limit... the personal statement one is a whooping 28,000 characters.

It feels like it is a nice concise package as written -- but are they really expected to be more lengthy?
I was told that you want it to fit on one page when they compile your application. Even 4000 might be a bit much for that.

Yeah I was told to keep it short.

Yeah I was told to keep it short.
Correct. Noone wants to read a book for every applicant, particularly when it's such a small and generally ignored part of the application. The personal statement helps about 2% of people who are amazing writers / have an amazing story to tell. It hurts about 2% of people where it's obvious from reading that they have absolutely no social skills / are a sociopath / are a racist etc etc. Everyone in the middle just gets a check box saying "yes, this part of the application was complete."

So when is everyone going to start bugging letter writers to get stuff on ERAS?

So when is everyone going to start bugging letter writers to get stuff on ERAS?
Since we have a month left, probably two weeks from now. If I don't hear anything I will try again after another week. Then I'll get more annoying.

Good luck to everyone. Exciting to have reached this point

Members don't see this ad :)
So, just to clarify, we don't have a NRMP number yet?

I looked at the site. It seems like some specialties (anesthesia???) have unique registrations... we would just be "Main match"?

to add my own special paranoia to the milieu/clarify something: we do not need to have all letters in on the 15th right?

I have a sloe (done), lor from related specialty, and another sloe (not done). Should I get a fourth letter so I can have three "complete" on the 15th? Past threads/years seem to imply this is cool

i'm assuming the rest of the app absolutely must be done though

to add my own special paranoia to the milieu/clarify something: we do not need to have all letters in on the 15th right?

I have a sloe (done), lor from related specialty, and another sloe (not done). Should I get a fourth letter so I can have three "complete" on the 15th? Past threads/years seem to imply this is cool

You need three to be complete.

That part I get, what I am saying is the letters won't all be uploaded

As in, do I need three fully uploaded letters in on the 15th or not

Thanks for the reply
Oh sorry, yeah, they need to be uploaded.

?:confused: wait....@doggydog, I listened to that podcast you linked to over in the VSAS/away rotations thread a few weeks ago and my understanding was that you definitely don't need to have 3 letters uploaded by 9/15. You should try to have at least one SLOE by the time ERAS opens or by Oct 1 at the latest since many programs don't look at applications until the MSPE comes out.

Last edited:
So, just to clarify, we don't have a NRMP number yet?

I looked at the site. It seems like some specialties (anesthesia???) have unique registrations... we would just be "Main match"?

Correct, you get your NRMP number when you register for the match and you can't do that until the day that ERAS opens (Sept 15). After getting your NRMP number, go back and enter it into ERAS and resubmit. From what I understand, this doesn't need to be done right away, programs only need this info when they rank you.

?:confused: wait....@doggydog, I listened to that podcast you linked to over in the VSAS/away rotations thread a few weeks ago and my understanding was that you definitely don't need to have 3 letters uploaded by 9/15. You should try to have at least one SLOE by the time ERAS opens or by Oct 1 at the latest since many programs don't look at applications until the MSPE comes out.
As far as I know (please correct me if I am wrong): You need three letters uploaded by 9/15 or you won't be listed as complete in ERAS. Then you run the risk of not having your app looked at until you are complete. This can be any combination of no SLOES and 3 letters, 1 SLOE and 2 other letters, 2 SLOES and 1 other letter, or 3 SLOES.

This creates an issue if you have two late aways (September and October) or later. Do you only have 2 letters in on 9/15 (and probably 10/1) so that you can add both SLOEs later? Or do you not send out one of the SLOEs because you had to add a random letter in order to be complete? There has been discussion on this on sdn and I'm not sure what is the best tactic.

I don't know if this is a huge deal, I had friends from last year that just had the 2 letters in by 9/15 and were fine.

That part I get, what I am saying is the letters won't all be uploaded

As in, do I need three fully uploaded letters in on the 15th or not

Thanks for the reply

Since the Dean's Letter doesn't come out until 10/1 at the earliest, this is the date we should be looking at for letters for the majority of residencies.

I have spoken to several PDs that said they'll interview applicants with only 1 SLOE. Some schools said they'd like to see 2 SLOEs before sending invites, but the majority said 1 SLOE for interview invite and 2 SLOEs for rank.

If you really want to be complete on ERAS (3 letters total), you can get 1 SLOE and 2 non-SLOE letters by 10/1. If you're doing 3 aways, you can get 1 SLOE and 1 non-SLOE by 10/1 as well to increase your chances for an early invite.

Bottom line: get at least 1 SLOE uploaded before 10/1 for most schools (add in non-SLOE letters as you see fit)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You need at least one SLOE by September 15th in order to be considered for early interview invitations. By the time programs begin to finalize their rank list (usually early February), you should meet the requirement of three letters of recommendation; at least one of those needs to be a SLOE (preferable if you have two).

I asked this question on the ERAS thread last year and the consensus (based on the experience of last year's applicants) was that you do not need all three letters by September 15th or even October 1st in order to be invited early into the application cycle.

Reactions: 4 users
Since the Dean's Letter doesn't come out until 10/1 at the earliest, this is the date we should be looking at for letters for the majority of residencies.

I have spoken to several PDs that said they'll interview applicants with only 1 SLOE. Some schools said they'd like to see 2 SLOEs before sending invites, but the majority said 1 SLOE for interview invite and 2 SLOEs for rank.

If you really want to be complete on ERAS (3 letters total), you can get 1 SLOE and 2 non-SLOE letters by 10/1. If you're doing 3 aways, you can get 1 SLOE and 1 non-SLOE by 10/1 as well to increase your chances for an early invite.

Bottom line: get at least 1 SLOE uploaded before 10/1 for most schools (add in non-SLOE letters as you see fit)

Thank you, that's the answer I was poorly asking for

Done with step 2! Now for a fun week of.... writing my personal statement :yeahright:

Almost there, boys and girls.

Hi everyone. Are we supposed to give descriptions of our volunteer activities and add a contact person? I've heard otherwise for both but just checking here. @Cinematographer

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

You need at least one SLOE by September 15th in order to be considered for early interview invitations. By the time programs begin to finalize their rank list (usually early February), you should meet the requirement of three letters of recommendation; at least one of those needs to be a SLOE (preferable if you have two).

I asked this question on the ERAS thread last year and the consensus (based on the experience of last year's applicants) was that you do not need all three letters by September 15th or even October 1st in order to be invited early into the application cycle.

I'm in the same boat and it makes me kind of uncomfortable since our deans office has drilled into us that we need 3 letters by 9/15.

My advisor says they wont upload until before 10/1 so ill only have 1SLOE+1 EM research letter until then.

I'm in the same boat and it makes me kind of uncomfortable since our deans office has drilled into us that we need 3 letters by 9/15.

My advisor says they wont upload until before 10/1 so ill only have 1SLOE+1 EM research letter until then.
I'm also in the same situation. A lot of my classmates are too. Seems to be a trend this year.

I'm also in the same situation. A lot of my classmates are too. Seems to be a trend this year.

Yea kind of lame ERAS stopped allowing us to swap latters because i have an IM letter I could use as a placeholder.

Could you not just email residency programs directly with a new letter, even if 4 are in?

Could you not just email residency programs directly with a new letter, even if 4 are in?

I've heard of people doing it but it seems like a total disaster in the making since you would have to get the letter writer to email every program you applied to.

Hi everyone. Are we supposed to give descriptions of our volunteer activities and add a contact person? I've heard otherwise for both but just checking here. @Cinematographer

I put a description (that I literally copied/pasted from my CV) for every activity I added on ERAS. That applies to volunteering.

No need for adding contact/reference info, unless ERAS has drastically changed from last year's format.

Off topic: Frank Ocean has released two new albums. I am sending this message from heaven.

I put a description (that I literally copied/pasted from my CV) for every activity I added on ERAS. That applies to volunteering.

No need for adding contact/reference info, unless ERAS has drastically changed from last year's format.

Off topic: Frank Ocean has released two new albums. I am sending this message from heaven.
Did you put one-off volunteering events? Or only places you volunteered multiple times?

I don't understand the Nikes hype. Ivy and Solo are dope though.

I have talked with a program director about this exact issue. I was told that 2 letters would be considered complete by all programs provided 1 was a SLOE. They understand how the SLOE process works and that the last letter will be coming eventually.

how the hell do i eliminate programs from my saved list on ERAS? i'm at a school with no EM residency and i'm not getting any real guidance from EM faculty here. i know this is a stupid question but i'm feeling overwhelmed by the fact that i have 72 programs saved and no methodical way to go through and eliminate them from my list.

how the hell do i eliminate programs from my saved list on ERAS? i'm at a school with no EM residency and i'm not getting any real guidance from EM faculty here. i know this is a stupid question but i'm feeling overwhelmed by the fact that i have 72 programs saved and no methodical way to go through and eliminate them from my list.

FREIDA. Not the greatest resource, but still useful. I'm kind of in the same boat as you, and have been using it to help me narrow down my list. I found that my issue was a lack of hard criteria for what I was looking for in a program.

As for the the other questions about letters and what not. I HIGHLY recommend everyone check out the EMStud podcast/blog on the CDEM website: https://cdemcurriculum.com/category/student-blog/. Specifically the "Match Analysis" and "Applying to EM" posts. These are video panels of EM program directors discussing the exact issues that everyone is asking about here.

For those of you who are lacking adequate advising at your home school, I recommend http://emadvisor.blogspot.com. Lots of excellent information to be found here. It discusses literally all things relevant to a student interested in EM: applying, interviewing, matching, rank lists, SLOEs, away rotations/VSAS, etc.

I've answered questions on these forums based off of the info I've gathered from these and other resources, but the response I commonly see is "But my school said..." or "But I heard..." So I encourage everyone to do their research and I think that will take care of many of these commonly asked (and answered) questions.

Now if I could only get over this personal statement writer's block o_O

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know of any programs that require 3 SLOEs?

MUSC does, that's the only one I've seen so far.

Did you put one-off volunteering events? Or only places you volunteered multiple times?

I don't understand the Nikes hype. Ivy and Solo are dope though.

I only listed "long term" volunteering opportunities.

I like Nikes, but vibing mostly to Nights, Ivy and Seigfried from Blonde. Endless is pretty dope as well.

Residency reviews here on SDN help but obviously need to be taken with a grain of salt. My criteria is:
- Strongly prefer 3 years
- Prefer university programs (I like the community aspect)
- Location nicer than where I am now (loooow bar)
- Doesn't require 4 letters (I have 3 SLOEs and I'm too lazy to pursue a LOR)
Does anyone know of any programs that require 3 SLOEs?

University of Chicago "prefers" 3 SLOEs

Last edited:
Read last year's thread that it's generally looked at negatively if you don't submit SLOEs from all of your EM rotations.

If someone has 3-4 rotations, and already has 2 SLOEs with 1 non-EM letter before invites, how will other programs know about the other 1-2 away rotations if they don't ask you during the interview? I have spoken to several people that didn't send late SLOEs, but the opinion here says otherwise.

I don't have 4 aways, but there have been people on my current rotation with 2 late aways October-December. It doesn't seem possible for programs to even see the last SLOE if that person already has 3 SLOEs and 1 non-EM letter submitted. Am I missing something here?

@Cinematographer (By the way, for the longest time I thought that avatar was Juelz Santana haha)

Read last year's thread that it's generally looked at negatively if you don't submit SLOEs from all of your EM rotations.

If someone has 3-4 rotations, and already has 2 SLOEs with 1 non-EM letter before invites, how will other programs know about the other 1-2 away rotations if they don't ask you during the interview? I have spoken to several people that didn't send late SLOEs, but the opinion here says otherwise.

I don't have 4 aways, but there have been people on my current rotation with 2 late aways October-December. It doesn't seem possible for programs to even see the last SLOE if that person already has 3 SLOEs and 1 non-EM letter submitted. Am I missing something here?

@Cinematographer (By the way, for the longest time I thought that avatar was Juelz Santana haha)
The only way program will know is if you designate a LoR from a program and then never send it in. I don't think that they will know about late aways otherwise, unless you tell them. I don't think it's a huge deal.

Or if the missing SLOE is not your last EM rotation your SLOEs will comment that this is your 1st, 2nd, and 4th rotation or some iteration of the same. It will be obvious you are missing a SLOE from rotation 3.

I've never heard that we need three letters by 9/15. Maybe they meant for other specialties like Medicine where you can have a variety of letter writers and chances of having writers from MS3 year. Since we rely on SLOEs and having had a month of work to get one , it seems very unrealistic for most of us to have 3 uploaded SLOEs on 9/15.
How many letters total can we have in ERAS? I am planning on having 3 SLOEs but haven't asked for letters from anyone else, should i be pursuing a Medicine letter since my last SLOE won't get there til mid-October?

Last edited:
Residency reviews here on SDN help but obviously need to be taken with a grain of salt. My criteria is:
- Strongly prefer 3 years
- Prefer university programs (I like the community aspect)
- Location nicer than where I am now (loooow bar)
- Doesn't require 4 letters (I have 3 SLOEs and I'm too lazy to pursue a LOR)

University of Chicago "prefers" 3 SLOEs
Sorry for my ignorance, but how can we find out which program require 4 letters?

Sorry for my ignorance, but how can we find out which program require 4 letters?
I individually googled the programs on my list. The vast majority have it on their website.

Some AOA EM programs are only interviewing students that audition at their program, can anyone provide me with a list of those programs?

When programs say they require 3 letters, is this for an interview or overall before matching? I'll have 1 SLOE and 1 LOR, but the 2nd SLOE wont be in until mid October.

When programs say they require 3 letters, is this for an interview or overall before matching? I'll have 1 SLOE and 1 LOR, but the 2nd SLOE wont be in until mid October.

3 letters for an interview invite.