[2016-2017] Emergency Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rough reading comprehension in this thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What do most programs use the Dean's letter for? Is it to look for red flags, comments from ms3, or class rank? How much does your class rank even matter when it comes to interviews?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm here with you. US IMG. Didn't match last year. Doing a preliminary medicine year while I reapply.

What was your step score if you don't mind me asking? Which Carib program did you attend? Hope it works out for you man. Sending some good vibes your way.

What do most programs use the Dean's letter for? Is it to look for red flags, comments from ms3, or class rank? How much does your class rank even matter when it comes to interviews?

I've talked to PD's of some programs about this stuff. MSPE/class rank/preclinical grades are useless to differentiate between applicants unless there is a red flag. On MSPE, everyones dean says good things about them and grading between all the different programs is so variable. Many programs don't do rank because of pass/fail.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I know that we won't get to see our SLOEs, but are we allowed to ask for our final grade?

It seems like most people on the interview thread last year knew all of their EM rotation grades, but I have no clue what I made.

I know that we won't get to see our SLOEs, but are we allowed to ask for our final grade?

It seems like most people on the interview thread last year knew all of their EM rotation grades, but I have no clue what I made.

If you don't know it... you don't want to know it.

If you don't know it... you don't want to know it.

That is not true.

For myself, I did not get my SLOEs, but my school sent the rotation sites evaluations and there I saw my comments and my grades, just like from any other rotation during the clinical years. Later, while on the interview trail, the interviewers repeated many of the comments I saw on my reviews - I never had anything that contradicted the reviews my school got. So, I assume that my SLOEs were basically the same as my post-rotation reviews, except for the whole "this student ranks here among other students" etc.

It is important to know the grades you got and any reviews a program has sent your school. Also, it is not inappropriate to sit down with the clerkship director and ask a broad strokes review of your SLOE - is it generally positive, do they mention areas to improve upon, etc. They can of course decline to discuss, but I don't think it is unprofessional.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can we not put "invitation" in the title of an email explaining your invitation process? I appreciate the info, but my nerves!

Last edited:
Can we not put "invitation" in the title of an email explaining your invitation process? I appreciate the info, but my nerves!

Sender: Acme Hospital Emergency Medicine Residency
Subject: Invitation to Interview...

Message: ...will be distributed on a rolling basis starting in 12 weeks from the last full moon. We value transparency. We decided to be the only specialty to 99% hold off offering interviews until October. This goes well with our uniqueness as a specialty in also requiring away rotations and SLOE's. We value your application and hope you are able to entertain yourself for the next month.

Good luck!

Best,
Acme Med

Reactions: 8 users
Sender: Acme Hospital Emergency Medicine Residency
Subject: Invitation to Interview...

Message: ...will be distributed on a rolling basis starting in 12 weeks from the last full moon. We value transparency. We decided to be the only specialty to 99% hold off offering interviews until October. This goes well with our uniqueness as a specialty in also requiring away rotations and SLOE's. We value your application and hope you are able to entertain yourself for the next month.

Good luck!

Best,
Acme Med

For real it would be nice to even get this as an email from a program. Don't just leave my anxious ass in the dark!!

Are most of you guys usually your school emails or just a regular gmail address for ERAS/interviews? It's much easier for me to use gmail, but didn't know if this was kosher.

Are most of you guys usually your school emails or just a regular gmail address for ERAS/interviews? It's much easier for me to use gmail, but didn't know if this was kosher.
The one you check the most with the worst spam filter.

And check your spam folder. More often than your inbox.

I've talked to PD's of some programs about this stuff. MSPE/class rank/preclinical grades are useless to differentiate between applicants unless there is a red flag. On MSPE, everyones dean says good things about them and grading between all the different programs is so variable. Many programs don't do rank because of pass/fail.

So what is really the point of waiting assuming we don't have any red flags?

Looking at last year's interview thread it looks like it was pretty dead until about 9/25, then things started picking up.

So what is really the point of waiting assuming we don't have any red flags?

From what I understand, it used to be a mad dash to get interviews out as fast as possible to try and commit applicants to interviewing with you before they had their schedules full of interviews from other programs. It eventually gets to a point that you just interview based on Step scores and I don't think anybody in EM is happy with that plan. So CORD decided to collectively push back when it become standard for interviews to go out to give everybody enough time to actually look at other things in the application (namely SLOEs), not necessarily waiting for MSPEs, though you never know when you might find a red flag.

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this, I just didn't wanna start a new thread. Basically, average stats DO student, trying EM, have done 2 aways and got 2 great SLOEs from what I could gather. I had another audition planned for October. Lo and behold, I found out yesterday that I failed my Step 2 CK and I am lost. I only applied ACGME initially because my aways were at ACGME progs and assumed that I would do better on Step 2 (Step 1 = awful pass at 193).

Anyways, my question is whether I should even attempt to retake Step 2 and if it's worth it to go on this last audition? I passed both Comlexes (low scores on both), and am considering the switch to AOA IM and ACGME/AOA FM. Is the Step 2 failure a nail in the coffin? I'm not trying to get a "go for it" type response, I just am looking here for somewhat realistic guidance because my school's guidance is awful or non-existent at best. thanks guys
You're dead in the water for ACGME EM programs. It's unbelievable that you did not apply to any AOA program given that low Step 1 score. Post in the osteopathic EM forum and hopefully someone there can give you saint advice. If you're going to apply for AOA IM and FM, you need to make it quick. There are already interviews going.

This is the reason why you need an EM mentor or at least a decent advisor. Hard to come by at a DO school though

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this, I just didn't wanna start a new thread. Basically, average stats DO student, trying EM, have done 2 aways and got 2 great SLOEs from what I could gather. I had another audition planned for October. Lo and behold, I found out yesterday that I failed my Step 2 CK and I am lost. I only applied ACGME initially because my aways were at ACGME progs and assumed that I would do better on Step 2 (Step 1 = awful pass at 193).

Anyways, my question is whether I should even attempt to retake Step 2 and if it's worth it to go on this last audition? I passed both Comlexes (low scores on both), and am considering the switch to AOA IM and ACGME/AOA FM. Is the Step 2 failure a nail in the coffin? I'm not trying to get a "go for it" type response, I just am looking here for somewhat realistic guidance because my school's guidance is awful or non-existent at best. thanks guys

As others have said, I think you are going to have to consider other options. The Step 2 failure is indeed one of many nails in your coffin. Don't bother retaking Step 2. Try to replace the ACGME EM rotation with an AOA EM audition. Without auditions, you are hosed for AOA EM. If you can't get anything, keep the ACGME rotation as most programs extend interviews to their rotators (although there are always exceptions, and you might be one). Apply to AOA FM and/or IM and be ready to scramble.

Sorry that this isn't a more upbeat picture, but you are in a bad spot.

For anyone who finds this via a search (as if!) looking for advice: EM is competitive enough now that even the "less desirable" programs will probably filter based on Step scores; even if there isn't a filter is in place and they review your app, it is unlikely to make it to the invite stage with below average Step scores. Unlike ortho, it is unlikely that the filter will be exceptionally high, but you've got to be at least at the average for matched US MD seniors. Anything less than that requires an alternate specialty backup plan and a real improvement on Step 2, along with excellent performance on auditions. You have been warned.

Reactions: 2 users
For anyone who finds this via a search (as if!) looking for advice: EM is competitive enough now that even the "less desirable" programs will probably filter based on Step scores; even if there isn't a filter is in place and they review your app, it is unlikely to make it to the invite stage with below average Step scores. Unlike ortho, it is unlikely that the filter will be exceptionally high, but you've got to be at least at the average for matched US MD seniors. Anything less than that requires an alternate specialty backup plan and a real improvement on Step 2, along with excellent performance on auditions. You have been warned.

Yep.

Got word from a resident in the know that their "average" program upped their Step 1 screening filter from 205 (traditionally) to 220 this cycle due to how many applications have been pouring in.

...Gonna be a bumpy ride!

EDIT: The resident was told to keep that info within the department, so out of respect -- I won't mention the program. Just know, it's happening out there!

Last edited:
Just heard that Emory is sending out their first round of interviews on October 13th

I believe that many programs (50% or so) are aiming to send out first round interview invites that day and the next day. This is per a PD in the NYC area.

Waiting for these theoretical October invites is the worst.

Reactions: 6 users
So I've never used sdn, but after finding out from all my non-EM friends of their interviews I freaked out and came here looking for answers.... Looks like my anxiety attack was for nothing? Is everyone not getting interviews as of yet? I know grand rapids sent out some (which I haven't gotten yet).

Out of curiosity, are folks updating the interview thread with invites from their home institutions/places they rotated? Although, maybe it would be better not to know the answer...

The answer to this question is both yes and no.
So you're saying the interviews we have confirm we're special snowflakes and the ones we really want to hear from are only inviting students/rotators? Thank god.

So you're saying the interviews we have confirm we're special snowflakes and the ones we really want to hear from are only inviting students/rotators? Thank god.
What interviews? You hoarding all of the interviews? Give us some interviews, bro.

Reactions: 6 users
post-64231-this-is-fine-dog-fire-comic-Im-N7mp.png

Reactions: 4 users
Well, I'm writing this post at 4am so things are obviously going well for me. I can't sleep. It's October 1 and I only have 1 SLOE uploaded -- it's from my home rotation and I only got a Pass. I'm almost too embarrassed to even write that, I've never heard of anyone passing their home EM rotation before. Sigh.

Despite earnest but not (I don't think) annoying follow-up, I have three LOR writers who all said they would upload before today, and none of them came through. One said he/she would get it done as recently as two days ago, the other said he/she now can't do it until this weekend, and the third said he/she would do it "tonight" about 15 days ago, and has since completely fallen off the map. Sigh.

I should have another SLOE coming late October, as I'm currently on my away rotation. Hopefully it's better than a P but I don't even know if that can help me get interviews so late in the game.

I know one SLOE/no other LORs by Oct 1 isn't a death knell for every applicant (I promise I've read the rest of this thread), but I'm already a somewhat high-risk applicant. Step 1 mid 220s, Step 2 mid 230s, only Ps and HPs in my third year, nothing super exciting on my resume other than pre-med school medical experience, and then there's that dreaded P on my EM home rotation. No mspe red flags, good 3rd year evals, and I've been told I'm "likeable" so at least I've got that going for me (womp womp). I've applied to 100+ programs because, you know, anxiety.

Can someone please tell me everything is going to be ok? (Or advice if everything is not ok?) I need a hug :(

ETA: the interview invite thread is giving me hives.

Well, I'm writing this post at 4am so things are obviously going well for me. I can't sleep. It's October 1 and I only have 1 SLOE uploaded -- it's from my home rotation and I only got a Pass. I'm almost too embarrassed to even write that, I've never heard of anyone passing their home EM rotation before. Sigh.

Despite earnest but not (I don't think) annoying follow-up, I have three LOR writers who all said they would upload before today, and none of them came through. One said he/she would get it done as recently as two days ago, the other said he/she now can't do it until this weekend, and the third said he/she would do it "tonight" about 15 days ago, and has since completely fallen off the map. Sigh.

I should have another SLOE coming late October, as I'm currently on my away rotation. Hopefully it's better than a P but I don't even know if that can help me get interviews so late in the game.

I know one SLOE/no other LORs by Oct 1 isn't a death knell for every applicant (I promise I've read the rest of this thread), but I'm already a somewhat high-risk applicant. Step 1 mid 220s, Step 2 mid 230s, only Ps and HPs in my third year, nothing super exciting on my resume other than pre-med school medical experience, and then there's that dreaded P on my EM home rotation. No mspe red flags, good 3rd year evals, and I've been told I'm "likeable" so at least I've got that going for me (womp womp). I've applied to 100+ programs because, you know, anxiety.

Can someone please tell me everything is going to be ok? (Or advice if everything is not ok?) I need a hug :(

Hang tough and stay on those LOR folks.

Remain tactful, but really drive home the point that interview dates are filling up already and your application is basically on hold until they submit.

Sorry you are having a hard time. Does sound really crappy.

PS: Interview thread gives everyone that isn't posting in it hives. ;)

Be patient.

The people getting interviews now are away rotators and top applicants. I wouldn't expect interviews to start coming in till after ACEP (October 20th).

With 100+ programs you should be fine as long as you applied smartly to less competitive programs in less desirable locations.

Just got this email (as I'm sure many of you did)

Thought it might make some of you feel better:

Greetings from the University of New Mexico Emergency Medicine Residency! I am the Program Director and wanted to pass on some information so you know a little more about our time line and what to expect.
First of all - thank you very much for applying to our program. We recognize how much time, effort and money is involved in this process and we are really psyched that you consider our program worth all that.
So…what to expect:
- We do not start reading applications until Dean's letters come out - Oct 1st.
- It will take 2-4 weeks to go through all the applications.
- We have joined an agreement with many programs that says we will start sending out invitations to interview on October 14th after 4pm. Hearing from us later than that is not a bad sign, it is just a function of the time it takes for me to personally review hundreds of applications.
- We will let you know if you are NOT invited by November 1nd.
- We interview December 1 through January 13 most Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays with a break for the holidays.
I hope this helps. We are a bit later than some other specialties/programs and I don't want anyone freaking out. :cool:

Last edited:

Greetings from the University of New Mexico Emergency Medicine Residency! I am the Program Director and wanted to pass on some information so you know a little more about our time line and what to expect.
First of all - thank you very much for applying to our program. We recognize how much time, effort and money is involved in this process and we are really psyched that you consider our program worth all that.
So…what to expect:
- We have joined an agreement with many programs that says we will start sending out invitations to interview on October 14th after 4pm. Hearing from us later than that is not a bad sign, it is just a function of the time it takes for me to personally review hundreds of applications.
- We interview December 1 through January 13 most Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays with a break for the holidays.
I hope this helps. We are a bit later than some other specialties/programs and I don't want anyone freaking out. :cool:

I found the 8) a nice, friendly touch.

But, oh the hopes that were dashed.

So…what to expect:

Thanks for this!
I talked to my EM advisor who's in the loop and she said a lot of programs aren't sending out until 14th and that I shouldn't be having a panic attack.....yet lol. Good luck everyone!!

Thanks for this!
I talked to my EM advisor who's in the loop and she said a lot of programs aren't sending out until 14th and that I shouldn't be having a panic attack.....yet lol. Good luck everyone!!

Sorry she said most wait till Oct 1 and a large amount that aren't inviting until Oct 15th

This waiting until the 14th thing doesn't really prevent my worrying, it just delays it. Likely the invites are going to go to the same people who are getting them now. The second round will just go out later, so just delayed worrying.

Reactions: 2 users