2016 - CVS Pharmacists - Are we required to take all our vacation by end of year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

catalyzt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw a vacation request form from a pharmacist in a different district and it states that pharmacists should take all their vacation by the end of the year. Is this correct? I haven't heard anything about this changing.

Members don't see this ad.

I saw a vacation request form from a pharmacist in a different district and it states that pharmacists should take all their vacation by the end of the year. Is this correct? I haven't heard anything about this changing.

No you don't. I haven't had a vacation since 2011. You just get paid out in January. Your DM/sup won't want that b/c it would hurt January's LP since it will kill payroll lol.

Reactions: 1 user
I have read an email directly from a supervisor saying you must use it. Maybe it varies by district or this supervisor was an idiot. One time the scheduler asked me to cover shifts on my vacation she offered to pay out my vacation.

Also I read on here some sups are encouraging vacations to be used so the new grad floaters have shifts to take.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not mandatory yet. Corporate doesn't want to pay out vacation. They put a tad bit of pressure on supervisors to tell everyone to use their time off. I don't imagine its really a top priority item, though.

At present, everyone working for CVS, EXCEPT PHARMACISTS, are on a use it or lose it basis for vacation. You will be paid out. It will have no effect on P&L as vacation is a separate line item. If you are a pharmacist wgo makes $50.00 per hour and has 80 hours of vacation, they have already budgeted to spend $4,000.00 on your vacation. If you failed to take that vacation it would have a limited savings on this year's P&L and a limited expense on next year's P&L.

They have spoken about the need for pharmacists to take a certain percentage of their vacation so they have time off and are mentally able to perform their slave functions. But as of know, if you are a pharmacist, you will be paid for any unused vacation.

I'd also like to add that, in many states, paid vacation is an earned benefit that MUST either accrue or be paid out if it is not taken (either periodically, or upon termination).

However, employers may cap how much can accrue...but once it's earned, it's earned.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I'd also like to add that, in many states, paid vacation is an earned benefit that MUST either accrue or be paid out if it is not taken (either periodically, or upon termination).

However, employers may cap how much can accrue...but once it's earned, it's earned.

This may be why that is in PA. Check your state labor laws.....

This may be why that is in PA. Check your state labor laws.....

Here's a list from 2012 of states with PTO/vacation payout laws at termination/separation (or lack thereof), check your state's labor department for updated regs (or your company's policy/your contract). USUALLY this type of law will preclude any "use it or lose it" provisions (as this defines vacation as a earned compensation), but again, check your local laws.

Source: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/30895/state-laws-on-vacation-pay-after-termination#_

ALABAMA

No law

ALASKA

Payments agreed to, including unused vacation, must be paid

ARIZONA
Unused vacation must be paid if employer policy is to pay

ARKANSAS

Payment depends on employer contract

CALIFORNIA

Accrued vacation pay must be paid

COLORADO

In accordance with any agreement, accrued vacation pay must be paid

CONNECTICUT

DELAWARE

Benefits or wage supplements include vacation pay

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA

FLORIDA
No law

GEORGIA

No law

HAWAII

IDAHO

ILLINOIS

INDIANA

No law

IOWA

KANSAS

No law

KENTUCKY

LOUISIANA

MAINE

MARYLAND

Accrued vacation must be paid, if employer has no vacation policy

MASSACHUSETTS

Unused vacation must be paid if promised under oral or written agreement

MICHIGAN

Unused vacation must be paid according to written contract or policy
MINNESOTA

MISSISSIPPI

No law

MISSOURI

MONTANA

NEBRASKA

NEVADA

No law

NEW HAMPSHIRE

NEW JERSEY

NEW MEXICO

No law

NEW YORK

NORTH CAROLINA

NORTH DAKOTA

Accrued vacation pay must be paid if employee worked for at least one year

OHIO

OKLAHOMA

In general, accrued vacation pay must be paid

OREGON

PENNSYLVANIA

RHODE ISLAND

Accrued vacation pay must be paid if employee worked for at least one year

SOUTH CAROLINA

Accrued vacation must be paid

SOUTH DAKOTA

No law

TENNESSEE

TEXAS

UTAH

VERMONT

VIRGINIA

No law

WASHINGTON
No law

WEST VIRGINIA

WISCONSIN

WYOMING

No law

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks guys for the quick and knowledgeable responses. Now I know I don't have to feel pressured into taking it this time when my scheduler pressures me again at the end of this year.