2016 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got rejected from my alma mater today. :(

WHY DID I EVEN DONATE $250 IF I WASNT EVEN GOING TO GET AN INTERVIEW

I had another rejection drop today, too, although not Oakland (they had already said, "Thanks, but no thanks.") I had a day last week where three rejections dropped in one day... That was kind of rough.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder if we donate $1 million dollars to a medical school of our choice, then we would "automatically" get in **wink, wink**

I wonder if we donate $1 million dollars to a medical school of our choice, then we would "automatically" get in **wink, wink**
YES!! Brilliant idea. I will do that right now.

...... Oh wait ........

..................... I have no money .............

:'(

Reactions: 1 user
Make way for the wah-mbulance! Another week. Survived the Brown chopping block. No news from anywhere for ~3 weeks (since I got a rejection e-mail). I don't want to enact plan B(ribe?). But I suppose, we gotta do what we gotta do.

Congrats to those with more acceptances, invites, and the (I'm sure!) joyful power of rejecting schools! What an interesting ride this is...

Reactions: 2 users
@NonTrad16 and @tetley , keep your heads up and DON'T LOSE HOPE!! Also, since it's Friday: let's get happy hour started right here and now...

p>

Reactions: 1 users
Bah. Just emailed to decline admission due to my S-word-ey credit history preventing me from getting the private loans needed at this school.

Happy hour it is! I'll raise you pizza too, cause I don't drink alone.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've declined five...I feel like a jerk saying that, but yeah.

Don't feel like a jerk, it makes sense. I have been doing the same thing, just curious on your thoughts. :)

also had the super fun realization that I am a reagan baby, while a bunch of my classmates were only born AFTER clinton was inaugurated

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Just got accepted at Tulane! I guess I will not go to Chicago anymore! So stoked to have another acceptance !

I've declined five...I feel like a jerk saying that, but yeah.

Don't feel like a jerk, it makes sense. I have been doing the same thing, just curious on your thoughts. :)

I've turned down 4 so far, including one fairly high up on the list rank-wise. I've been to a few interviews already and have four more scheduled with some schools I haven't heard yet from. It makes sense to decline some invites and allow them to go to students that deserve it more than I do, especially if you are waiting on other schools that you are certain you would like to attend.

Also, turning down a higher choice school II further down the line because you're broke and can't afford it is tough. I have FAP and will stay with a student host for all my interviews except one to limit spending and learn more about each program, but even with FAP this process has been very expensive and stressful. I can't imagine applying without it.

Reactions: 3 users
Just finished with an interview at the new Dell medical school in Austin, Texas. My best yet, despite the grueling format (two 30-minute interviews + 5 station MMI + video-recorded group activity). I'm cautiously optimistic that there might be good news out of this one. The anxious waiting begins again!

Reactions: 8 users
I've turned down 4 so far, including one fairly high up on the list rank-wise. I've been to a few interviews already and have four more scheduled with some schools I haven't heard yet from. It makes sense to decline some invites and allow them to go to students that deserve it more than I do, especially if you are waiting on other schools that you are certain you would like to attend.

Also, turning down a higher choice school II further down the line because you're broke and can't afford it is tough. I have FAP and will stay with a student host for all my interviews except one to limit spending and learn more about each program, but even with FAP this process has been very expensive and stressful. I can't imagine applying without it.

I applied 30 secondaries without FAP because I could not provide my fathers info ( we are not talking) . I work construction. 7 days a week and I am starting to drive uber / lift in the Eve's . If there is a will there is way . Money is one of the easiest problems to solve in life IMO. One gear one speed, GO !!!!

( I do have a good credit and that allower me to get a few CC to get me by)

Last edited:

Do schools consider income when providing aid? I cut back on hours to accommodate classes, MCAT, volunteering, etc so I've had a large amount of money leave (for said classes, and applying) and am making less... I'm trying to make this into a positive... Applying to 23 without Fee assistance was enough for me, for sure.

also had the super fun realization that I am a reagan baby, while a bunch of my classmates were only born AFTER clinton was inaugurated

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

:laugh:

In Gen Chem, I bonded with a classmate in his 40s. We'd periodically chuckle about being in class with folks mostly half our age, and he (jokingly) said, "Okay, so here's our rule. If you don't personally remember the existence of the Soviet Union, then you can't be in our lab group."

Do schools consider income when providing aid? I cut back on hours to accommodate classes, MCAT, volunteering, etc so I've had a large amount of money leave (for said classes, and applying) and am making less... I'm trying to make this into a positive... Applying to 23 without Fee assistance was enough for me, for sure.

Not sure, very curious as to how aid will play out. I've also had to cut back work hours to be able to go to school over the last few years, and depleted a lot of savings paying tuition, app fees, travel fees, etc. I have no idea what will happen, which is a little scary. Most of the schools I've been to require parental income info for school-based aid, which...when you've been on your own for years is pretty frustrating.

I'm just hoping they don't take my income and the income of my one working parent (who isn't financially connected to me at all, hasn't been for almost 20 years) and somehow decide that counts as one combined household income :confused:

Last edited:
I think I saw that loans don't take into account parents (or personal income/assets -- so you can theoretically borrow even if you have the money?) but I'm guessing schools providing merit/need scholarships etc are tougher on that. I'm pretty sure they request and use some parental info regardless of dependent/independent tax status. I'm not sure how they use any of it though -- whether it's "info only" or more critically. Just in case, I'm tanking my income, and my parents just retired last year, so now all I need is an acceptance and maybe I'd be in a good spot ;)

Last edited:
I applied 30 secondaries without FAP because I could not provide my fathers info ( we are not talking) . I work construction. 7 days a week and I am starting to drive uber / lift in the Eve's . If there is a will there is way . Money is one of the easiest problems to solve in life IMO. One gear one speed, GO !!!!

( I do have a good credit and that allower me to get a few CC to get me by)
Go, you!!

I agree that if there's a will there's a way, but it also depends where you're living and your situation in life. I made the trade-off of moving somewhere more expensive for cheaper classes so its worked out fine in that regard. My job income and some nice CC bonuses have offset most of the costs, so I'm overall pleased. Uber/Lyft would be a great way to make some extra cash but I don't have a car and don't really want to get one until I absolutely need to. I'm trying to find a side gig to make some additional money but I've had no luck so far.

Some schools will flat out tell you they don't use parents' income, which is nice, while others will say yes (or as the GWU financial aid rep said, "Our cutoff is 65 years old. You you don't look 65 so yes, we will use your parents' information" :eyebrow:). Its hard to determine at this point how I'm going to deal with the debt but I'm contemplating the NHSC for maybe MS3-4 and will apply to as many scholarships as I can. Be sure to ask the financial aid rep about this if they don't include it in their presentation!

Good luck everyone !!!! Hopefully we all hear good news this week !:luck::luck::luck::luck::xf::xf::xf::xf:

NON TRAD COALITON :punch::punch::punch::punch::rage::rage::rage::rage:

Reactions: 4 users
Ah Hey Non-trads!!
Was having a crappy monday until I got this II from UoMich.

I know I shouldn't let ego decide on how excited I get, but I am over the moon to have gotten a II at a reach school for me.

here is to an awesome week to all of us!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Update on immuno test:
since there were 6 total lecturers (including guest profs) this semester, so the professor let each professor write their own section. the result: a 14 page open ended exam with a 90 minute time limit.

If I have to re-apply, I am going to use this as my "Explain an obstacle you faced and how you over came it" short answer

Reactions: 7 users
Update on immuno test:
since there were 6 total lecturers (including guest profs) this semester, so the professor let each professor write their own section. the result: a 14 page open ended exam with a 90 minute time limit.

If I have to re-apply, I am going to use this as my "Explain an obstacle you faced and how you over came it" short answer
I had a molecular cell II, where each section was taught by different teacher - total a 14 and each par of the test was written by each teacher !

THE FINAL WAS A S... SHOW -NUFF SAID- I feel your pain.

PS: Immunology is my favorite subject , lol

Are you both in a SMP? I don't think I've ever encountered the professor carousel; would probably panic not knowing how to adapt to each :dead:
I had a molecular cell II, where each section was taught by different teacher - total a 14 and each par of the test was written by each teacher !

THE FINAL WAS A S... SHOW -NUFF SAID- I feel your pain.

PS: Immunology is my favorite subject , lol
Update on immuno test:

Are you both in a SMP? I don't think I've ever encountered the professor carousel; would probably panic not knowing how to adapt to each :dead:

Mine was an undergrad 400 level
Course -- **** SHOW -- for real, most uncohesive course and ungorganized course I ever taken !

Yes, smp!
yolo

I'm fine with it, but the kids that came straight from undergrad have been panicking like crazy

Update on immuno test:

Ugh.

Had a grad class once where there were 34 different lecturers or something like that. Really sucked. Half the people didn't really cover the topic they were supposed to. It was a major disaster. None of the grad faculty liked the course, but my advisor told me no one was willing to take the time to revamp it.

Accepted to Miami MD!!! Now hoping to hear from MD-MPH soon, thats the program I would like to join.

Reactions: 10 users
Waitlisted for Miami MD here, and I'm okay with that :) Good luck to you, I hope you get MD-MPH!!

Thank you!! How high is Miami on your desirability list? I bet you will get accepted from the alt list, judging by how great you're doing :)

Thank you!! How high is Miami on your desirability list? I bet you will get an acceptance from them, judging by how great you're doing :)

Of schools I've been to already, it was competing with Tulane for #1 (which oddly enough makes me almost relieved they didn't take me). I'll stay on the waitlist a bit and see what happens, but I'm over the moon with the cycle so far so I can't complain one bit. Still some more possible upsets to come!

Thank you!! How high is Miami on your desirability list? I bet you will get accepted from the alt list, judging by how great you're doing :)
One of my friends got accepted at Miami Miller for the MD/MPH program. Maybe you'll meet her next year :D

Congrats everyone on the good news :D
While I am extremely fortunate to be where I am with IIs and an acceptance, I was really hoping to hear back from some other schools.
What do you guys think, at this point, are II probabilities pretty small?

First rejection of the cycle, courtesy of SUNY Downstate. I kind of expected it given how I imploded during my final question (he asked me to give a two minute "pick me" speech so he could relay it to the committee, I hate those), but I'm surprised since I am really interested in the communities they serve :( Oh well.

While I am extremely fortunate to be where I am with IIs and an acceptance, I was really hoping to hear back from some other schools.

Many schools are still giving out IIs so its not over yet! Check school-specific theads for II trends throughout the cycle.

I think it really depends on the school and whether they silently reject, or are non-rolling, or what have you. I think all we can do is assume no rejection (at a non silent-but-deadly school) = potential good news.