2016 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Holy cow, I just ate two whole pizzas by myself and drank a lot of wine . Back home home tmrw 5am.

I don't think I've ever soloed two entire pizzas. Props to you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got an email from work that it's National Have Fun at Work Day.

Do you guys hear that? HAVE FUN AT WORK. RIGHT NOW. THIS IS SERIOUS.

Reactions: 4 users
Just got an email from work that it's National Have Fun at Work Day.

Do you guys hear that? HAVE FUN AT WORK. RIGHT NOW. THIS IS SERIOUS.
This is great cover for those "fun" coffees I drank this morning on break

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
GUYS. I just snagged an II from Emory! I was pretty devastated after getting rejected from my top choice post-interview recently and thought my interview season was over... Imagine my surprise hearing good news from one of my top choices.

Has anyone interviewed there? I'll take any and all tips!

Reactions: 11 users
I knew it was a good decision not to take a class this semester, I can barely get by a day at work without thinking that I would like some time off. And the prospect of working until the end of May and possibly part of June is stressing me out a lot.

On a lighter note, Im on a train back to Boston from my Brown interview. WOW WOW, loved it so much. This certainly changes my school preferences... unfortunately they have a 10 year limit rule for classes and I took calculus 10.5 years ago, which they list it as a requirement :( We'll see what happens. One more interview to go!

GUYS. I just snagged an II from Emory! I was pretty devastated after getting rejected from my top choice post-interview recently and thought my interview season was over... Imagine my surprise hearing good news from one of my top choices.

Has anyone interviewed there? I'll take any and all tips!

I applied but didnt get an invite. Congratulations!!!

I knew it was a good decision not to take a class this semester, I can barely come into work without thinking that I would like some time off. And the prospect of working until the end of May and possibly part of June is stressing me out a lot.

On a lighter note, Im on a train back to Boston from my Brown interview. WOW WOW, loved it so much. This certainly changes my school preferences... unfortunately they have a 10 year limit rule for classes and I took calculus 10.5 years ago, which they list it as a requirement :( We'll see what happens. One more interview to to!!
Have you taken Biostats by any chance? I was told that they actually prefer it to Calculus. (No idea why they don't just change the dang requirement!)

Have you taken Biostats by any chance? I was told that they actually prefer it to Calculus. (No idea why they don't just change the dang requirement!)

Really?!? I took Biostats last semester - my last class! Oh my god, you have made my day, thank you!

Reactions: 3 users
Really?!? I took Biostats last semester - my last class! Oh my god, you have made my day, thank you!
No prob! I was really surprised, too. I emailed the lovely admissions folks a few weeks ago to ask if it would be acceptable to take Calculus at CC and they told me to take Biostats instead! :D

Thank you for all the finger crossing. I got accepted to Pitt!!! So excited!!!

Reactions: 16 users
Thank you for all the finger crossing. I got accepted to Pitt!!! So excited!!!
Congratulations!!! Is this for MD-PhD? I interviewed there and they said decisions wouldn't come out until February.

EDIT: Never mind, saw the message on the portal. Wait-listed. Oh well!

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever soloed two entire pizzas. Props to you.

Yeah, I guess I had the hunger ! I think the wine helped too . Is for the extra blubber ;).

SNUG SEAL

IN THE BLUBBER I BELIEVE

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am officially selling all of my books on eBay. Well, the family is basically selling everything to fund the move. But I have a pretty decent collection (300 or so) and it hurts a bit inside to get rid of some of my favorites. Anyone else in a similar situation?

Ugh, FAFSA. I have one school that doesn't consider me emancipated, so on my FAFSA I'm forced to say I'm a member of my parents' household. Now I'm afraid this is going to majorly sabotage me everywhere else, since don't they all see parental info if I have to enter it?

Sigh.

Ugh, FAFSA. I have one school that doesn't consider me emancipated, so on my FAFSA I'm forced to say I'm a member of my parents' household. Now I'm afraid this is going to majorly sabotage me everywhere else, since don't they all see parental info if I have to enter it?

Sigh.

Is that one school a favorite? If it is way down on your list then maybe just drop it as a choice?

Sigh.
I would check with some of your other schools. I would hope that if they consider you emancipated, they would just ignore that info?

I thought most schools required the parental info no matter what. I better check into this because I was just going to supply the info.

Is that one school a favorite? If it is way down on your list then maybe just drop it as a choice?

It's Mayo, which isn't my top choice but still very high. I don't think I can bring myself to drop it just yet, given my first choice is extremely expensive. Mrrr.

I would check with some of your other schools. I would hope that if they consider you emancipated, they would just ignore that info?

Can they just "ignore" it? If you input parental info, FAFSA counts you as part of your parents' household, which is b.s. You're right, I should call around to see how others will handle this.

I thought most schools required the parental info no matter what. I better check into this because I was just going to supply the info.

I've found they vary depending on how old you are (and your marital situation). You might want to call your schools and ask. Some don't require it on the FAFSA or for school-based aid, some just for the latter (which may or may not be a separate form), some for both.

@Eccesignum I vaguely remember hearing that if a school doesn't require parental information and it's on your FAFSA, they will ignore it. But, definitely something to follow up on!

Strange... My understanding was that if we are financially independent, only our own information is input for FAFSA. BUT, if the school still wants to consider your parents financials for FA purposes, then they will get it through another avenue such as Need Access, etc.

Strange... My understanding was that if we are financially independent, only our own information is input for FAFSA. BUT, if the school still wants to consider your parents financials for FA purposes, then they will get it through another avenue such as Need Access, etc.

Depends on the school. I have one (and only one) that says specifically that I have to include parental info on the FAFSA itself.

Oh man, I'm ready to give my landlord notice of my move out =/ I didn't think it was possible to love an apartment as much as I love my current one. I have so many wonderful memories there, and it truly feels like my home. I almost feel tears building as I write this email to my landlord! Ahrg.

I know that change can be good, and I am ready for this new journey. But, this is hard... It hurts to say goodbye to the place that you've lived for the past few years, especially when those years have been bursting with personal growth.

How's everyone else doing with the prospect of moving somewhere new?

Oh man, I'm ready to give my landlord notice of my move out =/ I didn't think it was possible to love an apartment as much as I love my current one. I have so many wonderful memories there, and it truly feels like my home. I almost feel tears building as I write this email to my landlord! Ahrg.

I know that change can be good, and I am ready for this new journey. But, this is hard... It hurts to say goodbye to the place that you've lived for the past few years, especially when those years have been bursting with personal growth.

My husband and I have redone pretty much our entire house in the past 4 years. With our own blood, sweat, and tears for the most part (we don't do major plumbing or electrical work).
Unless I end up going to the University of Washington next year, we'll be selling the house, so that definitely will be bittersweet. I'm so excited to go explore another part of the US though, and buy another house to remodel.

Dying.

I'm not giving up my apartment I finally decided. Rent stabilized in Manhattan? Eff it, I'm subleasing this B. I'll never let go!!

I love the current house my husband and I live in. Quiet, forested neighborhood next to a wildlife preserve, with a backyard so big that I would never run out of space for new gardening projects. We've put a lot of effort and money into renovating the house, and I'm balancing between sadness about leaving here and excitement about going somewhere new. We really need to put the house on the market next month but I've been procrastinating doing the final tidying up.

Reactions: 2 users
My husband and I have redone pretty much our entire house in the past 4 years. With our own blood, sweat, and tears for the most part (we don't do major plumbing or electrical work).
Unless I end up going to the University of Washington next year, we'll be selling the house, so that definitely will be bittersweet. I'm so excited to go explore another part of the US though, and buy another house to remodel.
I know the feeling. My wife and I have started looking at places in Boston and realize we will def be downsizing from our current place.

More than ready. The next few months are going to drag so hard.

Little bit apprehensive though. I've moved all over the states and world but for jobs where furnished apartments were waiting for me, so I've been allowed to be lazy. Now I've got to find my own place (with very little money left to take time off to go scout) somewhere, clear out my apartment, deep clean the place, put everything in a Uhaul, drive possibly 1000+ miles, and move back in with zero help. I know I'll get 'er done cause it needs doin', but it feels slightly overwhelming at the moment.

On a random note, has anyone ever moved long distance with a cat? Particularly a cat that starts yowling after five minutes in the car?

On a random note, has anyone ever moved long distance with a cat? Particularly a cat that starts yowling after five minutes in the car?
Ooh! NO, but I did just buy my cat an *adorable* little blue harness with seat belt attachments. And a waterproof tarp.

Gonna be a long weird road trip. Just me, an ecstatic border collie, and an outraged cat.

Not yet. Our cat is an extremely skittish rescue, and I'm worried that if we open her crate at any point along the trip that she will escape. Fortunately she doesn't yowl, but she does whine pitifully.

I'm strongly considering trying to stuff her into a small carrier and flying with her, except that the security people at the airport would probably want me to remove her from the carrier. If she were to get loose at the airport I'd never get her back. Ugh. No idea what to do yet.

Also there is kitty Valium if you can talk to a vet. And some herbal things you can use, if you swing that way.

Little bit apprehensive though. I've moved all over the states and world but for jobs where furnished apartments were waiting for me, so I've been allowed to be lazy. Now I've got to find my own place (with very little money left to take time off to go scout) somewhere, clear out my apartment, deep clean the place, put everything in a Uhaul, drive possibly 1000+ miles, and move back in with zero help. I know I'll get 'er done cause it needs doin', but it feels slightly overwhelming at the moment.

We have 2 cats that will not survive in the car for an extended period of time. Our plan is to tranquilize them and fly them down/over to wherever we move to, which hopefully will minimize the trauma.

No cat, but two coonhounds and a 14 hr drive to get home to see the family. Its great because when we get in the car, they think we're going to doggy daycare. So its barking and howling getting all excited. Right behind my head. Only takes them a good two hours to figure out that we aren't going to daycare and they can hush up. After that its just intermittent whining.

Eventually it does stop.

Also there is kitty Valium if you can talk to a vet. And some herbal things you can use, if you swing that way.

I've heard you can give them Benadryl but it makes me unreasonably nervous about hurting my precious.

Man I could never be a vet, I'd spend all my time blubbering uselessly.

Reactions: 2 users
I've heard you can give them Benadryl but it makes me unreasonably nervous about hurting my precious.

Man I could never be a vet, I'd spend all my time blubbering uselessly.
Yeah vet is definitely tricky. "Excuse me sir, what hurts?" "Meow" "What's that now?" *mean death stare from the cat*
Kittens are so precious <3 I just realized mine are now 3 and a half years old. Time sure flew by.

I have determined that I am going to fly with mine. They make noise in the car, but maybe will be ok at cruising altitude. My boyfriend's dad is a vet and has given us a pill if we need to use it. My friend took her two cats that like to yowl on a plane and she said that they were actually quiet during the flight. Only slightly scared during takeoff and landing. She also said that you can request to go in a small room to take them out of the carrier for them to scan it. The TSA actually prefers it so that there is not an escaped feline running around.

Benadryl or Tryptophan work well!

Look up the safe dosing for your specific animal, but for dogs my vet recommended 1 mg/lb.

I have determined that I am going to fly with mine. They make noise in the car, but maybe will be ok at cruising altitude. My boyfriend's dad is a vet and has given us a pill if we need to use it. My friend took her two cats that like to yowl on a plane and she said that they were actually quiet during the flight. Only slightly scared during takeoff and landing. She also said that you can request to go in a small room to take them out of the carrier for them to scan it. The TSA actually prefers it so that there is not an escaped feline running around.
Do you by chance know what the weight restriction is on cats in the cabin?

*sniffle* THEY GROW UP SO FAST
603856_4571002844053_1780906232_n.jpg

Reactions: 7 users

I love the current house my husband and I live in. Quiet, forested neighborhood next to a wildlife preserve, with a backyard so big that I would never run out of space for new gardening projects. We've put a lot of effort and money into renovating the house, and I'm balancing between sadness about leaving here and excitement about going somewhere new. We really need to put the house on the market next month but I've been procrastinating doing the final tidying up.

@idontknowwhatnametopick and @gyrfalcon: I feel your pain! I am SO BUMMED about moving after all the work my husband and I have put into our current house. We even got married in the backyard. I am personally just denying the crap out of it until I at least know for sure where I'm headed. Still, there will be many literal tears shed.

Reactions: 3 users
ok guys, I need opinions
I have had almost complete silence from 8 schools. 2 have me on interview wait lists. I'm at the point where I want to apply the full court press without getting people annoyed.

What can I do besides sending them a text saying "NOTICE ME"?

oh and remember my friend that only applied to pitt and got an interview right away?

he got in.