Army 2016 Urology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jtun84

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
We just received notification from the Directorate of Medical Education that Walter Reed will not be accepting Urology interns for 2016. Does anyone in the know have any idea how this will play out in terms of slots for next years match? Does that push those applicants towards civilian deferment or do those positions just go away? Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
They're switching from a 6 year to a 5 year residency program so they are not taking any interns this upcoming year. It doesn't seem like it's dying.

This happened last year with Madigan and SAMMC when they transitioned to 5 year programs. No one got deferred. The number of positions were decreased overall. I've heard we are currently overstaffed in terms of urology, but have not seen it in writing so it may not be true. At any rate I wouldn't count on a deferment (assuming you are Army).

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, sent you a PM.

This happened last year with Madigan and SAMMC when they transitioned to 5 year programs. No one got deferred. The number of positions were decreased overall. I've heard we are currently overstaffed in terms of urology, but have not seen it in writing so it may not be true. At any rate I wouldn't count on a deferment (assuming you are Army).

I have several former and current active duty Urology buddies. You are correct. The specialty is"overstaffed" as defined by ridiculous MEDCOM outdated definitions. This means that there will be a urologist sent off as a brigade surgeon next year. Be careful, if this happens to you it will destroy your career as a surgeon. No civilian hospital will credential you and to be honest a military hospital might not either given what happened at Bragg this year and the heightened culture of patient "safety." Just goes to show that you a cog in a machine and big army cares nothing about the 9-10 years you put in to become a urologist. Recruiters should tell this to prospective HPSP candidates.

I have several former and current active duty Urology buddies. You are correct. The specialty is"overstaffed" as defined by ridiculous MEDCOM outdated definitions. This means that there will be a urologist sent off as a brigade surgeon next year. Be careful, if this happens to you it will destroy your career as a surgeon. No civilian hospital will credential you and to be honest a military hospital might not either given what happened at Bragg this year and the heightened culture of patient "safety." Just goes to show that you a cog in a machine and big army cares nothing about the 9-10 years you put in to become a urologist. Recruiters should tell this to prospective HPSP candidates.

I don't plan on pursuing urology (but I've been thinking about general surgery), but what do you mean by the bold statement? Are you saying that military urologists will have a hard time finding employment in the civilian sector? If anything, this is contradictory to what I've been hearing with other people. It seems that military physicians have no problems finding good employment in the civilian sector after their ADSO or military retirement.

I don't plan on pursuing urology (but I've been thinking about general surgery), but what do you mean by the bold statement? Are you saying that military urologists will have a hard time finding employment in the civilian sector? If anything, this is contradictory to what I've been hearing with other people. It seems that military physicians have no problems finding good employment in the civilian sector after their ADSO or military retirement.

Yeah, but that employment is typically contingent on actually practicing medicine or, more specifically for this example, performing surgeries. A urologist who spent the preceding two years as a brigade surgeon and therefore not practicing urology could run into problems getting privileges at a civilian hospital. A military hospital would, which is why the brigade surgeon tours - apart from being annoying in their own right - are extra crappy. For some, it's a de facto non-contractual extension of one's obligation, as the physician in question is forced to stay in uniform long enough to rehabilitate his skills to the point that gainful civilian employment can be attained.

Oh man! I'm so glad this didn't happen to me. So far, the Navy hadn't seem to be doing this. Nevertheless, I'm so glad to be done and out!