2017 Match complication

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hockeyfan23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

Frequent reader of this thread so I just thought I would pick your brains on my current issue. I am currently a third year going through my core rotations in NY looking to apply for neuro next September (for 2017 match). I go to a Caribbean school and our core rotations are already set and locked when we start them so I wont be able to start my neuro rotation til first week of September (after my cores are over), about a week before the beginning of applications. I really do not want to put off the match one year as I am wanting to finally start my life and also not face the increasing difficulty of matching every year. I guess I just wanted to know what you guys would do in this situation. How do you go about getting letters? Will not having my comments and grade for neuro by the opening of application hurt me? I have a mid 220s Step 1 and so far honors on my rotations. Also, I should have Step 2 by the time I apply. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, yeah, it will probably hurt you. You're Caribbean and you don't have a neurologist vouching for you. But you already kinda knew that, right?

What about getting to know a neurologist before your rotation, between now and the late summer? Do you have any elective blocks or easier rotations where you might be able to shadow a neurologist and/or write up a case report or something? Just being able to sit down and brainstorm with someone in the field and explain to them your situation would be a good starting position. Many neurologists are going to be sympathetic to your goal of becoming a neurologist -- it's human nature. These personal relationships are how you go about getting letters.

Given that you're already more of a wildcard coming from a Caribbean program, you really want to be proactive about seeking some neurology experience before application season comes along. Doesn't have to be serious rotation, but you want people to know that you've experienced at least some of what neurology has to offer, and that you've made conscious moves to plant the flag in our specialty. Otherwise you'll cast the impression that you're desperate and applying to a bunch of fields in the hope that something will stick, regardless of whether or not that is true or a matter of fate.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you will have a hard time just by judging what I am seeing this application cycle. I am interested to see what the final match data says, but I have a feeling that neurology is becoming a popular field and this will make it more competitive. If you look on this forum and other forums where people post stats and interviews (look at uslme forum for a better picture of img), you will see that imgs with your numbers are struggling to get interviews. I would continue to work hard, try to form a relationship with a neurologist, and apply to a lot of programs and broadly. I would apply to programs you are interested in but also a good amount of more community programs in perhaps less desirable locations.

I do not want to upon up a conversation that is off topic, but I feel that with the opening of so many new medical schools in the united states in last 5 years and little increase in resident slots that we will see it harder and harder for imgs to match.

Last edited:
I will respectfully disagree with the comment above and say that while you are being the 8 ball, you can still become a neurologist (if that is what you really want). Over the next few months, be sure to rock ur clinical rotations (esp Internal Medicine) and make sure to get good letters. As TN said, be sure to make connections within the field if possible to show your interest in Neurology. Additionally, make sure to step 2 early to have the scores available and study hard to make sure they are better than step 1. Do well on your neuro rotation in September and also try to do another neuro rotation in October. Try to get the neuro letter in ASAP but still submit your ERAS early (you don't need all your letters to submit). Keep in mind to apply BROADLY and not be as selective -- any ACGME program will make you a board certified neurologist. At a number of my interviews at the less desirable programs, a number (most) of the residents were IMGs.

Keep in mind that if you don't match, you can always reapply the following year for neurology (especially if you match for a prelim spot and do well/ get letters there). The only barrier is how much you wanna be a neurologist. Feel free to PM me with any questions. Don't give up hope!

Reactions: 1 user