2017 UCSF pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those who got interviews, would you mind sharing your GPA and also work experience:):D,
Thanks and congrats

Members don't see this ad.

My interview's at 7:30am on Saturday Feb, 2nd! I'm from Kansas.

As for GPA, let's not talk about that...:oops:

Thank you Evanescero! And congratulations to Rxist525 and Irus8!

I'm sorry to hear that, Hien. I am worried that will happen to me too.

However, the good news is we now know their Saturday interviews are Feb 2 and their two Friday interviews are Feb. 1 and 8. The future remaining dates are the Thursday and the third Friday.

As for my hypothesis, it seems too early to tell, but it seems they started off with the non-CA states already and have now moved to the non-San Francisco applicants, possibly leaving the San Francisco ones for the last.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations to Cheepcheep too! I am so excited for you and thank you for the demographics!

Actually, I heard from their info session last year they accepted someone lower than a 2.85 GPA - which is an exception. What had happened was the individual was initially turned down but he/she re-appealed and the school reconsidered on the basis that no matter how many courses he/she re-took, their college GPA from years ago would only marginally change, but he/she had proved him/herself worthy in so many other areas. Hope that helps!

Thank you Evanescero! And congratulations to Rxist525 and Irus8!

I'm sorry to hear that, Hien. I am worried that will happen to me too.

However, the good news is we now know their Saturday interviews are Feb 2 and their two Friday interviews are Feb. 1 and 8. The future remaining dates are the Thursday and the third Friday.

As for my hypothesis, it seems too early to tell, but it seems they started off with the non-CA states already and have now moved to the non-San Francisco applicants, possibly leaving the San Francisco ones for the last.

Yes it seems as though Joels posting about how it was last year is true for this year as well. Dont worry too much that you havent heard, I live in San Diego (although I moved from San Mateo, where you are from) and I have not heard yet either. I'm sure we will hear tomorrow or thursday at the latest. My last name is pretty far down on the alphabet so even though they may have moved onto CA now we may still be down the list because of something like that. Good luck!

Yes it seems as though Joels posting about how it was last year is true for this year as well. Dont worry too much that you havent heard, I live in San Diego (although I moved from San Mateo, where you are from) and I have not heard yet either. I'm sure we will hear tomorrow or thursday at the latest. My last name is pretty far down on the alphabet so even though they may have moved onto CA now we may still be down the list because of something like that. Good luck!
OoO, a fellow San Mateo-ian! Actually, I moved here recently from the East Bay, but I love the Japanese food options around here.

Also, thank you for your comforting words, Dktaba. You bring up good points. I guess, I'm just being anxious. Sometimes I think no news is good news, but at the same time, it could be just a delayed bad news. Yet, deep down, I know and agree it's best to not mull on what's not within my control.

However, I hope we both get in. Actually, it'd be really nice if we all get in. I feel all those who apply to UCSF simply have a lot to bring to the table.

I got an interview for Feb 1st. BUT, I have to reschedule because I also have UCSD that same day haha. So now I'm going Feb 8th. kinda sucks cuz I'm also planning a Vegas trip that weekend and will now have to fly straight from SF to Vegas haha. Oh well, celebration time I guess. :laugh:

I'm from SoCal (Irvine). Last name starts with S.

I wouldn't worry about what date you get, I think it's pretty much just random how they choose the dates. Honestly, anyone who makes it to the interviews is amazing in their own way. Can't wait to meet some of you peeps there! Good luck everyone!!

I got an interview for Feb 1st. BUT, I have to reschedule because I also have UCSD that same day haha.

I have the same problem! I got a Feb 1st interview, but thats the same day as my UCSD interview too. Did you call UCSF to reschedule or email?

Received mine for Thursday Jan 31. I am about a 1.5 hour drive from SF, so that explains the Thursday date. Now it's time to stress about the interviews...:scared:

got an interview on feb. 1 at 1pm! but i'm totally freaking out because they're doing MMI interviews instead of the traditional-style interviews this year... shoot.

Where did you hear about the MMIs?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations to all of you that got an interview invite!! Good luck to all of you! Unfortunately, I just got my rejection letter... boo..

Received mine for Thursday Jan 25. I am about a 1.5 hour drive from SF, so that explains the Thursday date. Now it's time to stress about the interviews...:scared:
Congratulations to all who got invites!

Sorry, but Soheila, did you mean 1/24/13? I noticed 1/25 is a Friday.

However, I'm sure you'll do fine. If they want you for an interview, I think it means you got what it takes. ^_^

got an interview on feb. 1 at 1pm! but i'm totally freaking out because they're doing MMI interviews instead of the traditional-style interviews this year... shoot.

Hi, how do you know they are doing MMI interviews instead of the two-on-one traditional style of interview?

Congratulations to Cheepcheep too! I am so excited for you and thank you for the demographics!

Actually, I heard from their info session last year they accepted someone lower than a 2.85 GPA - which is an exception. What had happened was the individual was initially turned down but he/she re-appealed and the school reconsidered on the basis that no matter how many courses he/she re-took, their college GPA from years ago would only marginally change, but he/she had proved him/herself worthy in so many other areas. Hope that helps!

Thank You, I got denial letter :( I thought I had a chance but as you said they like students who come back. This year is my first year applying.

Congratulations to all who got invites!

Sorry, but Soheila, did you mean 1/24/13? I noticed 1/25 is a Friday.

However, I'm sure you'll do fine. If they want you for an interview, I think it means you got what it takes. ^_^

Thanks for catching that! I meant the 31st. The interview may be my weak point but I'll try my best.

Last edited:
Thank You, I got denial letter :( I thought I had a chance but as you said they like students who come back. This year is my first year applying.
I'm so sorry to hear that, Susan123. If it makes you feel any better, my ex-coworker's wife applied 1st time and didn't get in. But when she applied the 2nd time she finally got in! I would agree with you that they look strongly upon re-applicants. It's not easy to re-apply, but I think it really shows how much UCSF means to them (that is the re-applicants). I wish you the best!

As for those who haven't heard back yet. I share your pain too!

I called UCSF and talked to Rick. He told me to forward them the email confirmation from UCSD and he rescheduled me for Feb 8th. Good luck!

I haven't heard anything yet either... but definitely expecting that rejection email at this rate :'(

congrats and good luck to everybody!!

Congrats to everyone! I got a rejection letter :( Oh well. UCSF was too out of my league anyway..

I got an interview yesterday (im from fremont, ca) at 6:30pm. Oommmfgffff I cannot believe this. My pharmcas GPA was only a 3.0 and I'm from a state school. DON'T STOP BELIEVING !!!!!!!!!

if you don't mind me asking, what did you put down for work experience and extracurriculars?

still nothing for me... at least that means I wasn't rejected outright, right? :laugh:

OMGOSH! Invite for Jan 25th! Total shock for me as well! I had to reschedule mine for another day though because I had an interview on the 26th! Now it's Feb 8th! Can't wait to meet you guys going on the 8th as well! :D

And for those who haven't gotten one yet, no news might be good news! Don't give up hope yet!

Ahhh! I'm SOOOOOO HAPPPY!!!! I got an interview! 1/25. 1 pm. Makes sense since I'm local. I wish I didn't have to go on 1st day but can't complain. Wish me luck!

As for uhohwhatever, yes I agree. Hang in there. I was going crazy waiting, but I finally heard back this morning (~9:30 am).

I look forward to seeing you guys on 1/25. It should be really interesting to do the MMI. It's foreign to me but the idea behind it I believe was to more test the applicant on the spot to see if they have good situation skills and communication skills necessary to be a good medical professional since over years there are a lot of those in medicine who sadly aren't able to do that. Therefore, I wholeheartedly support the concept of MMIs, but I'm just as worried as the rest preparing for them!

Good luck to all of us!

Ahhh! I'm SOOOOOO HAPPPY!!!! I got an interview! 1/25. 1 pm. Makes sense since I'm local. I wish I didn't have to go on 1st day but can't complain. Wish me luck!

As for uhohwhatever, yes I agree. Hang in there. I was going crazy waiting, but I finally heard back this morning (~9:30 am).

I look forward to seeing you guys on 1/25. It should be really interesting to do the MMI. It's foreign to me but the idea behind it I believe was to more test the applicant on the spot to see if they have good situation skills and communication skills necessary to be a good medical professional since over years there are a lot of those in medicine who sadly aren't able to do that. Therefore, I wholeheartedly support the concept of MMIs, but I'm just as worried as the rest preparing for them!

Good luck to all of us!

Congratulations on getting an interview! I'm in San Diego and still waiting :hungover: Hopefully not too much longer though. Anyway for those who do have interviews, don't freak out about the MMI style interview. Yes it is to test interpersonal skills more accurately and on a deeper level, but it also takes biases out of the equation when deciding on an applicant. Research shows most experienced interviewers make up their mind about an applicant within the first few minutes. I have heard stories from friends who had interviewers they felt did not like them while others connected really well with their interviewers. Not having it all riding on one person gives you a better chance to show who you are and if your application was accurate then you already have what UCSF is looking for so just do your best to show them that.

Got one for 1/31!!!! I can't say how excited I am, will meet you all there

Interview confirmed today for jan 25th!! Conggrats to those who got interviews and goid luck everyoneekse. Can you explain what is MMI inteview?

:( It's okay!! I am sure you have already got into a very good school ;)

1/25!!!! On the other hand, I'm kind of terrified of the whole MMI thing.

Dear Dktaba,
Thank you so much! I hope you'll be getting your invite soon! :)
Also, I totally agree with your view point on MMI's. ^_^

I can't wait any longer!! OMG i just wanna know.. good or bad :(

NM. My intial question was answered by BobbyK. Thank you sooo much!

but from my original post is below

"P.P.S Eskyesther: MMI= multiple mini interview. I feel Dktaba's responses hit it on the mark, but to elaborate a little further, it's more like instead of one or a panel of interviewers you have several interviewers for like ~6-10 min each (hence the mini part) to take out part of the bias of a one person interview or the effect of one person influencing the rest of the panel (e.g. asking all the questions that make you look really good or really bad.)"

Last edited:
Dear TeRRaNoXiC as well as other who got invites,

I double-checked my invite and clicked on the reply link sent, but I didn't see anywhere on the link mentioning MMI's. In fact, on the webpage for confirming my appointment was the link below, which describes their traditional 2 person interview + 45 min. on site essay.

http://pharmacy.ucsf.edu/pharmd/admissions/steps/3/

I wonder if it's just those who have interviews on 1/25 that get the traditional interviews...though that doesn't seem like something UCSF would do...After all, Joel's blog did say they were trying out something drastically new...

unless they wanted a control group (1/25) versus a testing groups (1/31-2/2 and 2/8) since this is the first time they are changing their interview formats.

Sorry, but for those out there with the 1/25 interview, such as BobbyK and eskyesther, may I ask if you got a heads up on an MMI format or a traditional interview like me? As for the rest who got invites, may I ask if you got links to traditional interview formats on your confirmation page or links to MMI formats on your confirmational page?

Thanks!

P.S. please feel free to PM if you prefer that to replying via a forum post instead.

P.P.S Eskyesther: MMI= multiple mini interview. I feel Dktaba's responses hit it on the mark, but to elaborate a little further, it's more like instead of one or a panel of interviewers you have several interviewers for like ~6-10 min each (hence the mini part) to take out part of the bias of a one person interview or the effect of one person influencing the rest of the panel (e.g. asking all the questions that make you look really good or really bad.)
http://pharmacy.ucsf.edu/pharmd/admissions/steps/3/details/prepare/

on this link it says:

"The interview
Beginning in 2013, we will transition from a traditional interview to a Multiple Mini Interview (MMI)."

I have no idea how to prepare for this interview....kind of nervous!! Any tips and advice

Thank you so much Eskyesther and BobbyK! I realized the MMI link didn't pop up until after I confirmed my appointment time. The traditional interview link was on the confirmation page itself but the MMI link was on the post-confirmation page.

Good luck to all of us for the MMI's!

1/25!!!! On the other hand, I'm kind of terrified of the whole MMI thing.

See you on 01/25/2013 ;) I hope I have plenty of time to rush to the airport after for my interview at USC the next morning.

Good luck everyone!

I got an interview yesterday (im from fremont, ca) at 6:30pm. Oommmfgffff I cannot believe this. My pharmcas GPA was only a 3.0 and I'm from a state school. DON'T STOP BELIEVING !!!!!!!!!

Is it your first year applying?!

I'm so sorry to hear that, Susan123. If it makes you feel any better, my ex-coworker's wife applied 1st time and didn't get in. But when she applied the 2nd time she finally got in! I would agree with you that they look strongly upon re-applicants. It's not easy to re-apply, but I think it really shows how much UCSF means to them (that is the re-applicants). I wish you the best!

As for those who haven't heard back yet. I share your pain too!

Thanks NOAEL, I already have one acceptance but I wanted UC system, I don't think I wait another year. Again UCSF reserves some seats for older and motivated candidate that will come back next year.

Good luck to all of us!

Congrats:)

See you on 01/25/2013 ;) I hope I have plenty of time to rush to the airport after for my interview at USC the next morning.

Good luck everyone!

112288, you could've gotten your date changed! I had that same problem and they gate me another date! You should try! Did you confirm yet?